• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media-Create Sales: Apr 27-May 3

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
0
0
Media-Create Apr 27-May 3

01./00. [PSP] Persona (Atlus Co.) - 79,192 / NEW
02./00. [NDS] Dragon Ball Kai: Saiyajin Raishuu (Namco Bandai) - 74,263 / NEW
03./00. [NDS] Made in Ore (Wario Ware) (Nintendo) - 56,174 / NEW
04./00. [PS2] Jikkyou Power Pro Major League 2009 (Konami) - 42,957 / NEW
05./02. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (Pokemon Co.) - 42,950 / 239,000 (-21%)
06./01. [WII] Monster Hunter G (Capcom) - 40,294 / 172,000 (-69%)
07./00. [PSP] ToraDora Portable! (Namco Bandai) - 38,365 / NEW
08./05. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 26,226 / 640,000 (+16%)
09./08. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) - 21,978 / 580,000 (+32%)
10./00. [WII] Jikkyou Power Pro Major League 2009 (Konami) - 16,550 / NEW

11./03. [PS3] Killzone 2 (SCEI)
12./09. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
13./07. [PSP] Sengoku Basara: Battle Heroes (Capcom)
14./04. [PSP] Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3: The Collapsing City and the Girl's Song (Disaster Report 3) (Irem)
15./00. [NDS] Naruto Shippuden: Shinobi Retsuden 3 (Takara Tomy)
16./14. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai)
17./00. [PS2] D.C.I.F.: Da Capo Innocent Finale (Sweets)
18./19. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
19./00. [PS3] X-Blades (Ubisoft)
20./13. [WII] Deca Sporta 2: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! (Hudson)
21./00. [360] X-Blades (Ubisoft)
22./11. [NDS] A Ressha de Gyoukou DS (Take the A-Train DS) (Artdink)
23./18. [NDS] Rittai Picross (3D) (Nintendo)
24./12. [NDS] Pro Baseball Famista DS 2009 (Namco Bandai)
25./17. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2009 (#15) (Konami)
26./15. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna Portable (Namco Bandai)
27./20. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (BEST) (SEGA)
28./23. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.)
29./21. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo)
30./16. [PS3] Musou Orochi Z (Koei)
31./33. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
32./30. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
33./28. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode (Nintendo)
34./00. [PS3] Daikoukai Jidai Online: Cruz del Sur (Uncharted Waters Online) (Koei)
35./37. [PS3] Demon's Souls (SCEI)
36./31. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)
37./50. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
38./24. [PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom)
39./00. [NDS] Jewel Pet: Cute Magic Fantasy (MTO)
40./25. [NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's: Stardust Accelerator World Championship 2009 (Konami)
41./34. [NDS] Tongari Boushi to Mahou no 365 Nichi (Little Magician's Magic Adventure) (Konami)
42./27. [PSP] Disgaea 2 Portable (Nippon Ichi Software)
43./40. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade (Hudson)
44./41. [NDS] Crayon Shin-chan: Arashi wo Yobu Nendororon Daihenshin! (Namco Bandai)
45./00. [PSP] Final Approach 2: 1st Priority Portable (Princess Soft)
46./45. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
47./43. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
48./26. [PSP] Fantasy Golf Pangya Portable (Takara Tomy)
49./39. [WII] Play on Wii: Pikmin 2 (Nintendo)
50./00. [NDS] Dun-Dam: Dungeons & Dam (Acquire)

NDS - 21
PSP - 9
WII - 9
PS3 - 7
PS2 - 3
360 - 1



Code:
__________________________________________________________________
|System |  This Week  |  Last Week  |        YTD  |         LTD  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|  NDS  |     56,673  |     43,869  |  1,263,112  |  26,382,747  |
|  PSP  |     49,557  |     41,187  |    919,679  |  12,277,782  |
|  PS3  |     23,588  |     23,351  |    494,639  |   3,117,107  |
|  WII  |     21,546  |     18,439  |    471,818  |   7,950,795  |
|  360  |      7,313  |      7,016  |    185,456  |   1,014,893  |
|  PS2  |      5,479  |      4,524  |    100,165  |  21,499,694  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|  DSi  |     49,133  |     37,495  |  1,018,721  |   2,250,080  |
|  DSL  |      7,540  |      6,374  |    244,391  |  17,547,196  |
------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Media-Create Threads
2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009

Media Create Sales: 04/20 - 04/26
Media Create Sales: 04/13 - 04/19
Media Create Sales: 04/06 - 04/12
Media Create Sales: 03/30 - 04/05
 

Majmun

Member
Dec 15, 2005
21,323
1
0
NeoGaf
FFXIII demo seems to have more impact than a Monster Hunter game with MH3 demo.

I thought Monster Hunter would bump up the Wii HW sales a bit more.
 

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aug 30, 2005
22,609
0
0
32
Toronto, ON
Second said:
FFXIII demo seems to have more impact than a Monster Hunter game with MH3 demo.

I thought Monster Hunter would bump up the Wii HW sales a bit more.
There was no HW bundle for the game so consumers went for the controller bundle instead.
 

cvxfreak

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,867
1
1,520
Tokyo
www.twitter.com
Second said:
FFXIII demo seems to have more impact than a Monster Hunter game with MH3 demo.

I thought Monster Hunter would bump up the Wii HW sales a bit more.
Just like portable FF (i.e., Dissidia) has no chance against portable MH, console MH can't touch console FF.
 
jj984jj said:
There was no HW bundle for the game so people went for the controller bundle.
And it looks as if they bought a good amount of the shitty standard edition that was left from the 1st shipment (the one you cannot even boot without a classic controller attached)

But lets hope Capcom calls up Nintendo and realizes the $$$ potential for a MH3 Wii Bundle
 

Majmun

Member
Dec 15, 2005
21,323
1
0
NeoGaf
But is Monster Hunter Wii a side project like Dissidia?

I think FFXIII PSP would sell a lot of copies.

But you're right. Monster Hunter is more popular on the PSP/handheld. Ps2 version proved that.
 

Tideas

Banned
Jun 14, 2007
5,924
0
0
www.project-tideas.com
jj984jj said:
There was no HW bundle for the game so consumers went for the controller bundle instead.
That doesn't make sense. Even if they do go for the controller bundle, they would still need to buy the Wii in order to play the game, thereby counting hardwares.

Whereas other people, who already had the Wii, would just buy the game instead of bundle.

I don't understand this logic.
 

Spiegel

Member
Feb 20, 2007
7,957
0
970
Spain
cvxfreak said:
Just like portable FF (i.e., Dissidia) has no chance against portable MH, console MH can't touch console FF.
Why would you compare a fighting spinoff (Dissidia) with anything in this case?
 

cvxfreak

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,867
1
1,520
Tokyo
www.twitter.com
Spiegel said:
Why would you compare a fighting spinoff (Dissidia) with anything in this case?
Well, I can compare FFIII if you like. I just named Dissidia because it's actually the best selling PSP FF. Comparison still stands, I think.

Replace with MH with Animal Crossing for another good example.
 

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Oct 29, 2006
6,485
0
0
Japan
Second said:
FFXIII demo seems to have more impact than a Monster Hunter game with MH3 demo.

I thought Monster Hunter would bump up the Wii HW sales a bit more.
You don't need a Wii to play Monster Hunter G. Most people have already bought it twice, on PS2 then on PSP, and probably bought the original version too.

Monster Hunter 3 will be the first game people need to buy a Wii to play (assuming Capcom doesn't 'RE4 it' with a PSP announcement before launch), so that should push hardware much more.
 

Rolf NB

Member
Apr 22, 2007
12,914
0
0
Tideas said:
That doesn't make sense. Even if they do go for the controller bundle, they would still need to buy the Wii in order to play the game, thereby counting hardwares.

Whereas other people, who already had the Wii, would just buy the game instead of bundle.

I don't understand this logic.
jj984jj
Stupid Member
(Today, 02:54 PM)
Reply | Quote
 

Spiegel

Member
Feb 20, 2007
7,957
0
970
Spain
cvxfreak said:
Well, I can compare FFIII if you like. I just named Dissidia because it's actually the best selling PSP FF. Comparison still stands, I think.

Replace with MH with Animal Crossing for another good example.
That still doesn't make sense.

So you expect DQIX to sell only 1 million because it's a console game on a handheld?


A good example is to do comparisons between new fully featured games on huge franchises. Lazy jobs, spinoffs, remakes and ports aren't good comparisons
 

u_neek

Junior Member
Jun 9, 2004
5,363
0
0
The 360 does alright for a system that has practically no games on the charts. Definitely a bump from last year.
 

cvxfreak

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,867
1
1,520
Tokyo
www.twitter.com
Spiegel said:
That still doesn't make sense.

So you expect DQIX to sell only 1 million because it's a console game on a handheld?


A good example is to do comparisons between new fully featured games on huge franchises. Lazy jobs, spinoffs, remakes and ports aren't good comparisons
No, I expect DQIX to sell more than 1 Million considering that the series' SFC remakes and Monsters spinoffs do so easily. That's a completely different situation. Moreover, FFIII and MHP2nd are modified rereleases/remakes of of previous games of a varying degree, and the PSP has proven that mainline games don't always sell the most anyway.

I think you're missing my point. Someone earlier compared FFXIII's demo to MH3's in terms of console sales impact. But we see clear evidence of FF being stronger than MH on consoles and the reverse on handhelds. So, it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that FFXIII would do better than MH3 (demo-wise), both in terms of numbers and system sales.
 

Spiegel

Member
Feb 20, 2007
7,957
0
970
Spain
Famitsu TOP 10


1.[NDS] Dragon Ball Kai Sayajin Raishyu (Namco Bandai)
2.[PSP] Persona (Atlus)
3.[NDS] Made in Ore (Wario Ware) (Nintendo)

4.[NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (Pokemon Co.)
5.[PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009 (Konami)
6.[WII] Monster Hunter G (Capcom)
7.[PSP] Tora Dora Portable! (Namco Bandai)
8.[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)
9.[NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo)
10.[WII] Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009 (Konami)

Sinobi:

[NDS] Dragon Ball Kai Sayajin Raishyu (Namco Bandai) - 101k
[PSP] Persona (Atlus) - 95k
[NDS] Made in Ore (Wario Ware) (Nintendo) 79k






cvxfreak said:
No, I expect DQIX to sell more than 1 Million considering that the series' SFC remakes and Monsters spinoffs do so easily. That's a completely different situation. Moreover, FFIII and MHP2nd are modified rereleases/remakes of of previous games of a varying degree, and the PSP has proven that mainline games don't always sell the most anyway.

I think you're missing my point. Someone earlier compared FFXIII's demo to MH3's in terms of console sales impact. But we see clear evidence of FF being stronger than MH on consoles and the reverse on handhelds. So, it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that FFXIII would do better than MH3 (demo-wise), both in terms of numbers and system sales.
FF brand is stronger on consoles simply because there isn't mainline FFs on handhelds.

I'm pretty sure a mainline FF on DS/PSP would sell close to FFX-XII numbers
 

Darklord

Banned
Oct 30, 2007
22,626
0
0
Australia
What's going on with the Wii numbers? Is it starting to loose the appeal over there or are Sony clawing its way back over there? Look at the numbers this time last year, the PS3 was almost dead on sales.

When's Dragon Ball Kai released in English as well? It's the first DB game in ages that looks fun.
 

slaughterking

Member
Jun 4, 2006
10,628
0
0
twitter.com
Spiegel said:
Famitsu TOP 10

[NDS] Dragon Ball Kai Sayajin Raishyu (Namco Bandai) - 101k
[PSP] Persona (Atlus) - 95k
[NDS] Made in Ore (Wario Ware) (Nintendo) 79k
Wow, the difference between Famitsu and MC is huge. And for all three games, too. D:
 
Darklord said:
What's going on with the Wii numbers? Is it starting to loose the appeal over there or are Sony clawing its way back over there? Look at the numbers this time last year, the PS3 was almost dead on sales.
A little of both, no really big games to ignite the Wii compared to a host of big releases on the PS3 side.

But the PS3 is still ~4.9m behind in LTD so its not like it leapfrogged the Wii and is suddenly king of the (shitty) consoles. Right now both Sony and Nintendo probably wish they could achieve portable sales level for their home consoles because regardless of who is at 23-25k thats still shitty sales overall
 

Xeke

Banned
Sep 8, 2006
14,299
0
0
31
I don't understand how we can get Zelda:TP, WiiSports, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart all within a year and a half of release and now....NOTHING. Did the game development building burn down or something?:lol
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
0
0
Xeke said:
I don't understand how we can get Zelda:TP, WiiSports, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart all within a year and a half of release and now....NOTHING. Did the game development building burn down or something?:lol
It doesn't make sense. Precisely. That's the reason some of us are hoping that this is an indication of games being pulled back to work in Motion+ to their design resulting in this unusual gap.
 

GCX

Member
Oct 22, 2007
9,068
1
925
Xeke said:
I don't understand how we can get Zelda:TP, WiiSports, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart all within a year and a half of release and now....NOTHING. Did the game development building burn down or something?:lol
I think Nintendo wanted to secure Wii's success by releasing games from pretty much every one of their studios shortly after the release of the console. That was a good business decision in a short term but in long run it caused the current lack of games we're seeing. Maybe Nintendo though 3rd parties would be releasing an insane amount of games by now so nobody would notice they don't actually have anything left for release. That plan didn't obviously work.

If we'll see "a second wave" of software from Nintendo at E3, I think my assumption is right. But if not, I dunno, maybe they really just axed half of their studios.
 
GCX said:
Maybe Nintendo though 3rd parties would be releasing an insane amount of games by now so nobody would notice they don't actually have anything left for release. That plan didn't obviously work.
This x 100, its not like they did not release games (they released AC:CF and Wii Music) just neither did Wii Fit/Mario Kart numbers.

Its like a double edged sword, most publishers probably thought that combo would leave no room for them and so they did not release much. Those games did not gave megaton sales and left the marketplace wide open where only a few companies were able to step in (most notable in the US where Ubisoft and Activision cleaned up on Wii sales from Nov-Jan and Namco did good with Taiko Drum Master Wii)
 

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
May 21, 2006
17,232
3
0
markatisu said:
This x 100, its not like they did not release games (they released AC:CF and Wii Music) just neither did Wii Fit/Mario Kart numbers.
okay but that was still almost six months ago. they have not released ANYYYYTHING since then.
 
Stumpokapow said:
okay but that was still almost six months ago. they have not released ANYYYYTHING since then.
Yeah but before that their other Wii releases had sustained them. They have not released anything in America since those two either (Outside of what Excitebots? a few weeks ago), does not hurt them in the US or EU. Look at Wii Fit still selling around 10k a week, had AC:CF or Wii Music showed that penetration we would not be having this discussion.

Its not hard to imagine what they were thinking, and amazing they still have stuck to their guns and did not boost WSR.
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
0
0
Nintendo makes mention a couple of times in their financial briefing of the strong software releases being planned for the second half of 2009. That's at least something. :/
 

GCX

Member
Oct 22, 2007
9,068
1
925
Yep, like Markatisu says, it's very easy to see Nintendo has a plan of releasing one BIG casual game every 6 months. Last summer it was Wii Fit, in winter it was supposed to be Wii Music, this summer it's going to be Wii Sports Resort and next winter most propably Wii Fit Plus. And because Wii Music didn't become a huge hit (and neither did Animal Crossing), Nintendo's plan failed a little.

With core games I don't think Nintendo has a plan at all. They released all their big guns shortly after Wii launched and then noticed they completely run out of ammo. Maybe they bought Monolith Soft and founded Project Sora because of that.
 

Vinci

Danish
Oct 12, 2007
22,075
0
0
United States
I like how we're still comparing Advent Children to Monster Hunter G in these threads and curious why G isn't doing more for the console it appears on. No, I'm not being dense - I'm stating that there are other reasons to purchase the demos than simply the demos. The actual products you're getting - the ones you'll be keeping for a long period of time compared to a demo that will go useless after the title it demos hits - are the key ingredient involved in the numbers discrepancy.

That's been my take on this from the start. Seriously, folks: Did you honestly think FF Advent Children hitting Blu-Ray wasn't going to push the PS3's sales up relatively well given the sheer cult levels of fandom it enjoys? Remove the demos from the equation, and these don't stack up well at all.
 
Vinci said:
That's been my take on this from the start. Seriously, folks: Did you honestly think FF Advent Children hitting Blu-Ray wasn't going to push the PS3's sales up relatively well given the sheer cult levels of fandom it enjoys? Remove the demos from the equation, and these don't stack up well at all.
On the MH side you are left with a slightly upgraded port of a really old game that cannot work with the standard Wii controls that most people have :lol
 

Rolf NB

Member
Apr 22, 2007
12,914
0
0


This will be PS3's strongest year in Japan by a wide margin. It has almost caught up to last year's MGS4 bump already and should stay five to six weeks ahead even through that.
 

Jokeropia

Member
May 15, 2006
6,556
0
0
Tideas said:
That doesn't make sense. Even if they do go for the controller bundle, they would still need to buy the Wii in order to play the game, thereby counting hardwares.

Whereas other people, who already had the Wii, would just buy the game instead of bundle.

I don't understand this logic.
HW bundles tend to get more people (who don't already own the console) to make the plunge for a game they're interested in compared to if you have to buy both separately, especially if means a discount and/or there's a special HW edition included. (Like the FFVII themed PS3 bundled with Advent Children.)
 

Link

The Autumn Wind
Jun 6, 2004
28,545
2
1,420
If the reason Nintendo hasn't released anything for months is because of M+, I think it's going to end up being a big waste of time for them. Most third parties aren't going to even bother to support it (especially in Japan), it's going to split the userbase like any other accessory, and I honestly don't see interest in the Wii being resparked because of it.

All it did was take a bad situation for Nintendo and made it worse.
 

Busaiku

Member
Apr 5, 2006
46,932
1
0
Spiegel said:
[NDS] Dragon Ball Kai Sayajin Raishyu (Namco Bandai) - 101k
[PSP] Persona (Atlus) - 95k
Wow, the difference between the two trackers is pretty big this week.
Going by Famitsu numbers then, Persona did have some pretty good legs, and sold through a good portion of the shipment.
Dragonball Kai's had great legs, almost doubled its first 2 days, but still sold through less of its shipment, though given the rate it's selling at, it should make it through at least that and more.
 
Dec 3, 2006
37,579
0
1,130
Xeke said:
I don't understand how we can get Zelda:TP, WiiSports, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart all within a year and a half of release and now....NOTHING. Did the game development building burn down or something?:lol
The way I see it, the drought that hit America has hit Japan in recent weeks.

I honestly think Nintendo thought third party support would be better than what it was, and planned poorly as a result. With the DS, third parties starting pickup up the slack even as Nintendo's releases started to thin and nobody (shy of the people who only buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games) really batted an eyelash. My guess is the same line of thinking burned them BAD with Wii.
 

Vinci

Danish
Oct 12, 2007
22,075
0
0
United States
DeaconKnowledge said:
The way I see it, the drought that hit America has hit Japan in recent weeks.

I honestly think Nintendo thought third party support would be better than what it was, and planned poorly as a result. With the DS, third parties starting pickup up the slack even as Nintendo's releases started to thin and nobody (shy of the people who only buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games) really batted an eyelash. My guess is the same line of thinking burned them BAD with Wii.
It's a shame really; it leads to all sorts of revisionist history, in which ... you know ... Nintendo never released any traditional games for the thing.
 

birdchili

Member
Sep 18, 2005
3,210
0
0
GCX said:
With core games I don't think Nintendo has a plan at all. They released all their big guns shortly after Wii launched and then noticed they completely run out of ammo. Maybe they bought Monolith Soft and founded Project Sora because of that.
I think the "core" plan was "don't lose the gamecube audience", and I think they did not too terribly there. What they *didn't* have for the core was the same sort of genre-busting new kinds of software that made the console such a hit with the short-play-game crowd.

They've done a terrible job catering to the late-ps2 adopters that thought wii sports was a really cool idea but actually needed a few more "big" games than they were providing.

Assuming wii would be a ds in terms of third party support doesn't give proper respect to Nintendo's near-perpetual dominance of the handheld market.
 

charlequin

Banned
Oct 19, 2005
26,635
1
0
Second said:
I thought Monster Hunter would bump up the Wii HW sales a bit more.
The portion of the FF base that wants to spend huge amounts of money for a demo is much more dedicated than the equivalent MH base, especially since FF is primarily a single-player experience while MH's success is on the back of local multiplayer. People are more willing to buy a PS3 either for immediate resale or to sit untouched until the real FFXIII release than they are to do the same thing with the Wii.

GCX said:
Maybe Nintendo though 3rd parties would be releasing an insane amount of games by now so nobody would notice they don't actually have anything left for release.
If true, I would probably have to impugn the intelligence of Nintendo's development decision-makers even more than I already do for just forgetting to release any games for six months.
 
charlequin said:
If true, I would probably have to impugn the intelligence of Nintendo's development decision-makers even more than I already do for just forgetting to release any games for six months.
They did not forget to release games. They released Pikmin 1 New Play Control, Pikmin 2 New Play Control, Mario Tennis New Play Control

It was just not anything that set the world on fire or was really new in any sense of the word
 

charlequin

Banned
Oct 19, 2005
26,635
1
0
markatisu said:
They did not forget to release games. They released Pikmin 1 New Play Control, Pikmin 2 New Play Control, Mario Tennis New Play Control
I think failing to publish any actually new content is pretty clearly "forgetting to release games."
 
charlequin said:
I think failing to publish any actually new content is pretty clearly "forgetting to release games."
Oh I agree with you 100% it was a boneheaded move to not have any new games ready to go, but everyone acts as if they just decided to close up shop and its quite obvious they expected AC:CF and Wii Music to carry them just as Wii Sports, Wii Play, SSBB, Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii had in previous quarters.

Had AC:CD and Wii Music carried them as they were expecting (based on whats been released and their stubborn hold on releasing M+ in the summer) then the New Play Control releases would have supplemented things along with 3rd party things like the MH3 Demo and the drum game

We can only hope this is the last time they try that experiment again and learn to stagger the release schedule in case something fails to catch on