• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: December 6, 2010 - December 12, 2010

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Orgen said:
is this the best 7th week ever? :eek: (besides Pokemon maybe?)
Indeed and it is very far ahead of the competition

Best 7th week

{27/12/99 - 02/01/00} 00. [NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) {21/11/99} - 477.507 / 4.106.134
{30/12/02 - 05/01/03} 01. [GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) {21/11/02} - 408.831 / 3.606.593
{17/12/07 - 23/12/07} 02. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) {08/11/07} - 307.901 / 1.070.481
{02/01/06 - 08/01/06} 02. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) {23/11/05} - 152.339 / 1.491.891
{15/12/08 - 21/12/08} 05. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo) {06/11/08} - 141.563 / 696.924

According to Shining Hearts producer, it sold in the first day more then wind sold in the first week(not including download sales),

So that gives us first day sales of at least 80,000 For Shining hearts.

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
I don't really care that much about being right or wrong here, rather than trying to understand the actual situation of Ni no Kuni here really. I'm just trying to get a better feel on the actual on the ground situation. I definitely appreciate what you do, and whether it turns out one way or another, it's good to at least have someone reporting what is going on in stores on a semi-regular basis.

I'm just curious in this particular example, because you were pretty much the only reliable guy I know who is in Japan who has said that Ni no Kuni would be fine, that close to launch. Was it just a gut feeling that turned out wrong, or was there actually a sign of a lot of interest in stores and general interaction with people/TV/ads/etc?

What I want to figure out is whether the game actually had a ton of buzz which did not translate into sales, or whether it was closer to the sort of vibe I was getting from what people were saying on 2ch, blogs, other people in Japan, etc. Because the vibe I got was that the game was basically going to be a very minor launch, with the only hope of selling significant big numbers being very strong word of mouth post-launch.

Obviously, I do not live in Japan, so my ability to judge the vibe is limited in that aspect. I'm curious as to whether there was actually a discrepancy, or if the title was just expected to be a success because it's Level 5 + Ghibli + DQ clone (without actually having a lot of actual hype that was visible).

I think I made my forecasts based on a combination of a few things. That gut feeling played a huge role, and I'm probably biased in this sense because I actually attended the Ni no Kuni press conference from last fall, so I got to see up front as to why the game was so compelling and why I thought it would be a huge success. I would have thought that Level 5 would have done a better job communicating this to the masses before launch, but they did not end up doing that.

The game did have buzz, bigger than most games out there, although not to the level of Pokemon, Peace Walker or Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, to name a few other recent launches. Usually, games with launch parties (完成披露会) are expected to become very big affairs. I personally don't remember Layton or Inazuma having big buzz around them pre-launch, but Ni no Kuni was getting much bigger treatment, another reason why I expected it to be bigger out of the gate.

And then there was the 600,000 initial launch figure, which we knew right before the game launched. This means that retailers were also expecting big things out of the title. Of course, the past tells us that huge shipments never translate into huge sales out of the gate. Retailers lost faith in Monster Hunter 3 even though it sold 57% of its first shipment in 2 days. Cases like that are of course rare, but it would be quite daunting for a game with 600K initial shipments to sell not even a third of that in the first 4 days, so I was predicting for things to turn out better.

And then there's information that seemed to point towards the contrary: blogs and such. I don't like using those to make forecasts because it would essentially become a forecast based on another forecast. I like my observations to be as unique as possible with my own insight. Of course, I don't run any shop and have no formal marketing background, but I don't mind as much given that Michael Pachter and Famitsu's analysts or whatever end up putting forward off-predictions, too. It just so happens that in this case, they were right about Ni no Kuni not having a good start in sales. Even if I did agree with those blogs/sites, what good does that do for my own forecasting skills? I do listen to them, but only sparingly, so I don't quite see much merit in saying "the blogs told you so" on this one.

One last point: the game can still end up doing fine, even if it ends up doing fine in a manner differently from how we all predicted. I'm hoping Ni no Kuni ends up having really long legs, so we can look back at the launch figures and laugh at all the drama. :lol

I hope that clears things up!

duckroll

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
According to Shining Hearts producer, it sold in the first day more then wind sold in the first week(not including download sales),

Here's some food for thought: Shining Heart, a generic looking moeblob traditional RPG on the PSP, will be the best selling Shining game since Shining Force 3. On the other hand, Shining Force Feather, a SRPG on the DS which is the closest to a true Shining Force game in like a decade, sold so poorly that not only did it fail to even crack 100k, but the developer is not out of business.

cvxfreak said:
I think I made my forecasts based on a combination of a few things. That gut feeling played a huge role, and I'm probably biased in this sense because I actually attended the Ni no Kuni press conference from last fall, so I got to see up front as to why the game was so compelling and why I thought it would be a huge success. I would have thought that Level 5 would have done a better job communicating this to the masses before launch, but they did not end up doing that.

The game did have buzz, bigger than most games out there, although not to the level of Pokemon, Peace Walker or Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, to name a few other recent launches. Usually, games with launch parties (完成披露会) are expected to become very big affairs. I personally don't remember Layton or Inazuma having big buzz around them pre-launch, but Ni no Kuni was getting much bigger treatment, another reason why I expected it to be bigger out of the gate.

And then there was the 600,000 initial launch figure, which we knew right before the game launched. This means that retailers were also expecting big things out of the title. Of course, the past tells us that huge shipments never translate into huge sales out of the gate. Retailers lost faith in Monster Hunter 3 even though it sold 57% of its first shipment in 2 days. Cases like that are of course rare, but it would be quite daunting for a game with 600K initial shipments to sell not even a third of that in the first 4 days, so I was predicting for things to turn out better.

And then there's information that seemed to point towards the contrary: blogs and such. I don't like using those to make forecasts because it would essentially become a forecast based on another forecast. I like my observations to be as unique as possible with my own insight. Of course, I don't run any shop and have no formal marketing background, but I don't mind as much given that Michael Pachter and Famitsu's analysts or whatever end up putting forward off-predictions, too. It just so happens that in this case, they were right about Ni no Kuni not having a good start in sales. Even if I did agree with those blogs/sites, what good does that do for my own forecasting skills? I do listen to them, but only sparingly, so I don't quite see much merit in saying "the blogs told you so" on this one.

One last point: the game can still end up doing fine, even if it ends up doing fine in a manner differently from how we all predicted. I'm hoping Ni no Kuni ends up having really long legs, so we can look back at the launch figures and laugh at all the drama. :lol

I hope that clears things up!

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I'll debate on the point of blogs and such. I don't really agree that using them as an information point is really making a forecast based on another forecast. There can be information drawn from what people say without actually taking into account their predictions.

If a blog says that they personally don't think a game will sell well, that is their forecast. It doesn't mean very much (unless the person is known to be accurate about such things, which points to it being a more educated forecast) on its own. But if the blog says that they notice that not many people are very interested in the game, or that preorders are currently low (for a retailer blog), that would be an information source about an observation from one source. By taking into account multiple sources of observation, it is possible to paint a relatively accurate picture of what is happening, and to see if something is a trend or an anomaly.

For Ni no Kuni, I think ultimately what has happened is that the game was announced a long time ago, and it seemed like such a major title in Level 5's publishing career, that for those of us actually following games and previews, it ended up seeming a lot more appealing and a much bigger deal than it really was at launch in reality. It really seems to me that Ni no Kuni is what we term as a "core game" in appeal (similar to FF and DQ), but yet designed and marketed as a more casual game (like Level 5's other games, or even like Pokemon). This disconnect probably resulted in the game suffering somewhat, at least initially right now, because ultimately as the launch drew near, core gamers didn't really feel the game was for them, while casual fans might have been turned off by how the game looked much more complicated than they would like, plus the cost was relatively high.

As I said before the game launched, I really feel that it's something which will live or die by the word of mouth, and honestly, I'm still not feeling much buzz even now. It's probably because it's the holiday season now, and other bigger games are being pushed both before and after the release, but I just don't feel this "must-have" vibe about the game at all, and it's looking increasingly likely that if it continues to get lost in the pack over December, by January the game might be completely doomed if retailers completely lose faith in the large shipments they all have (which is made worse because the game takes much more space to store).

We'll see what happens, but I'm actually more pessimistic about the game now post-launch than I was pre-launch. This could be Level 5's first major mistake in their publishing career, and it could actually affect the PS3 version significantly as well. I know some people are saying "after they announced the PS3 version, everyone is waiting for that instead!" but I really don't think that's very true either.

Dalthien

duckroll said:
If a blog says that they personally don't think a game will sell well, that is their forecast. It doesn't mean very much (unless the person is known to be accurate about such things, which points to it being a more educated forecast) on its own. But if the blog says that they notice that not many people are very interested in the game, or that preorders are currently low (for a retailer blog), that would be an information source about an observation from one source. By taking into account multiple sources of observation, it is possible to paint a relatively accurate picture of what is happening, and to see if something is a trend or an anomaly.
I think you may be misunderstanding cvxfreak's comments about the blogs and stuff. What I gather from his posts (and he will hopefullly correct me if I'm wrong) is that he's not disputing the relevance or value of the blogs. Rather, he just questions the point of them when it comes to predictions. A prediction should come from your own reading or gut feeling of the situation. By using blogs or preorders when making a prediction - where's the fun in that? Moreover, what's the point? It's kind of like predicting who will win the football game after you've already seen the halftime score. It kind of defeats the purpose of making a prediction in the first place. So he tries to keep his predictions as true and pure predictions. Not just using other people's sales information and then passing it off as his own guess. At least as much possible, anyway.

At least that's the vibe I get from his comments.

duckroll

Dalthien said:
I think you may be misunderstanding cvxfreak's comments about the blogs and stuff. What I gather from his posts (and he will hopefullly correct me if I'm wrong) is that he's not disputing the relevance or value of the blogs. Rather, he just questions the point of them when it comes to predictions. A prediction should come from your own reading or gut feeling of the situation. By using blogs or preorders when making a prediction - where's the fun in that? Moreover, what's the point? It's kind of like predicting who will win the football game after you've already seen the halftime score. It kind of defeats the purpose of making a prediction in the first place. So he tries to keep his predictions as true and pure predictions. Not just using other people's sales information and then passing it off as his own guess. At least as much possible, anyway.

I don't think it's like predicting a football game after knowing the halftime score at all though. It's more like predicting a football game after keeping up with news reports of who is likely to be playing or not playing for a team that day, and whether there have been problems in the locker room. Lots of factors involved, and it would be silly to not take everything into consideration.

Dalthien

duckroll said:
I don't think it's like predicting a football game after knowing the halftime score at all though. It's more like predicting a football game after keeping up with news reports of who is likely to be playing or not playing for a team that day, and whether there have been problems in the locker room. Lots of factors involved, and it would be silly to not take everything into consideration.
Yeah, I can kind of see both sides of it.

But your analogy of injury reports and weather reports would be more like the historical research that we do here in these threads. What did the previous game in the series sell? What are the typical holiday sales patterns? Is the platform friendly or unfriendly to a particular genre? Etc. That all seems fair game.

The preorder numbers, and shipment numbers, etc - those really do seem more like knowing the halftime score. You already have pieces of the actual sales data in your hand before making the prediction. Just like having already seen some of the actual game before predicting the winner.

As I said, there's definitely value in having those pieces of sales data beforehand. It can absolutely lead to a more informed prediction. But at the same time, it really does seem to suck a lot of the fun out of it as well.

duckroll

Dalthien said:
Yeah, I can kind of see both sides of it.

But your analogy of injury reports and weather reports would be more like the historical research that we do here in these threads. What did the previous game in the series sell? What are the typical holiday sales patterns? Is the platform friendly or unfriendly to a particular genre? Etc. That all seems fair game.

The preorder numbers, and shipment numbers, etc - those really do seem more like knowing the halftime score. You already have pieces of the actual sales data in your hand before making the prediction. Just like having already seen some of the actual game before predicting the winner.

As I said, there's definitely value in having those pieces of sales data beforehand. It can absolutely lead to a more informed prediction. But at the same time, it really does seem to suck a lot of the fun out of it as well.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing here. Sucking the fun of it would be predicting after we know the first day sales. The sort of blogs and info I'm talking about are not numbers. In fact, I'm not even referring to retailer blogs. I'm talking about how people are reacting to the game, and whether I see many various gaming blogs talking up a game and showing a lot of interest in it. Reading up 2ch to see what people are saying about a game (or whether they're talking about it at all) is akin to reading GAF to see if there are a lot of threads dedicated to a game before release, or whether such threads are fast moving with a lot of different people interested in talking about a game.

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:
Here's some food for thought: Shining Heart, a generic looking moeblob traditional RPG on the PSP, will be the best selling Shining game since Shining Force 3. On the other hand, Shining Force Feather, a SRPG on the DS which is the closest to a true Shining Force game in like a decade, sold so poorly that not only did it fail to even crack 100k, but the developer is not out of business.

PSP market for this kind of stuff is better than DS market right now. I don't think it's necessarily that people prefer moeblob to real srpg. TO is as real of srpg as you can get and it did terrific. Feather was pretty animu in its visual style as well. I think they just didn't market it as much.

duckroll said:

Hey! I brought Hearts, for the Dobotsu no Mori elements, not the moe, I want to make myself some bread!

And Not sure brining up flight plan's demise is the best example of psp sales considering how Blue Roses did.

farnham

Banned
he i was not up to date about shining hearts but i saw a stand with it in akihabara this friday

and i felt kinda sad to see how a franchise that was considered one of the big league RPGs became a moe moe franchise

cvxfreak

Dalthien said:

This is exactly what I meant. When I said "forecast based on a forecast," I was referring to how I want to avoid having other sources influence my judgment. I definitely respect them and do not doubt their validity, but my idea is also to sort of provide complimentary or even competing observations for people to consider.

If a blog says pre-orders are low or the buzz isn't there, then those are very much their data and observations. Like I said, I will consider them at times, but for a game like Ni no Kuni, I was compelled to consider other factors at play that could have changed the ball game. There's also that gut feeling, and the most prominent time I feel that played a role in predicting was the PS3 slim launch. It wasn't just baseless guessing though - I went back and thought about what made past systems successful and how this generation was different.

duckroll is also right in that you can take a bunch of different data sources to make a good assessment. But my assessments are my own and should be considered in the context of my own situation: living in Tokyo, frequently shops, is ultimately an observer but still "inside" Japan. Other data should be seen as separate. If they feed off of each other, then on the "insider" level, they've been diluted by each other. To an "outsider" there might be little difference, but I see the difference. If it's sunny where I live, then I'll say it's sunny. If it's cloudy five miles away, then that person should say as such. It's up to the viewer to decide whether he wears a sweater or just a shirt that day.

cvxfreak said:
frequently shops, is ultimately an observer but still "inside" Japan. Other data should be seen as separate. If they feed off of each other, then on the "insider" level, they've been diluted by each other. To an "outsider" there might be little difference, but I see the difference. If it's sunny where I live, then I'll say it's sunny. If it's cloudy five miles away, then that person should say as such. It's up to the viewer to decide whether he wears a sweater or just a shirt that day.

Just wondering, isn't going through and reading retailer blogs and the on the ground situation, not only a bit more accurate way, but quicker in terms of amount of store situations you can check?

cvxfreak

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Just wondering, isn't going through and reading retailer blogs and their on the ground situation, not only a bit more accurate way, but quicker in terms of amount of store situations you can check?
I think those blogs are more accurate myself. Like I said, I'm only one person. I actually don't want people to put too much faith into what I say, because I can totally be wrong. :lol

Are there any blogs by people who man the big shops like Yodobashi and Bic?

The only reason I like to post observations is because visiting stores (game shops or otherwise) is a part of my regular routine. Like right now: I'm on my way to Yodobashi to buy a MacBook VGA adapter, so I might as well check the game shop out while I'm there.

farnham

Banned
a small observation about ninokuni

i saw a lot of shops that had fake ds boxes on display probably because the packaging is so freaking huge and takes up a lot of space

it isnt as big as rockband or dj hero or tony hawk ride but for a ds title its quite big so i believe that will be kind of a barrier for customers (as they will have to go to the counter and ask specifically for the game)

cvxfreak said:
I think those blogs are more accurate myself. Like I said, I'm only one person. I actually don't want people to put too much faith into what I say, because I can totally be wrong. :lol

Are there any blogs by people who man the big shops like Yodobashi and Bic?

The only reason I like to post observations is because visiting stores (game shops or otherwise) is a part of my regular routine. Like right now: I'm on my way to Yodobashi to buy a MacBook VGA adapter, so I might as well check the game shop out while I'm there.
omg im in the same city as cvxfreak! headexplodes

duckroll

I think Ni no Kuni's biggest problem is actually that it does not offer a new experience. Think about this for a moment. When DQ, Pokemon, and MHP entered the market, there was basically nothing else like it on that level in the market. By offering an original experience, they build up a very strong and dedicated fanbase, and all products trying to copy them don't meet with anywhere as much success.

Level 5 tapped into this very same thing with their first two franchises. There was nothing quite like Layton out there when it first started selling, other than Brain Training. Once again, Layton is less successful than Brain Training, but by differing itself by having characters, a storyline, and high production values, it managed to find success on it's own. Inazuma Eleven is also a sort a RPG which has no real competitor, and this certainly helped with its success. By offering an experience people might want but not find elsewhere, a game can really benefit from word of mouth and having a certain market all to itself.

What does Ni no Kuni offer though? It's a traditional RPG systems similar to DQ, a monster breeding system similar to Pokemon, high production values and FMV like two dozen other JRPGs. The formula is so generic, that the only thing riding on it was having animation and music by Ghibli. Well, let's look at Ghibli sales for DVDs (Ghibli already has probably the cheapest DVDs for Japanese anime): Ponyo sold over 800k, Totoro is slightly over a million. That's not really encouraging when you think about a videogame which costs 6800yen.

In retrospect, Ni no Kuni really had everything going against it, but Level 5's amazing track record thus far makes it seem like there's no way Hino could make serious error on marketing and development. Maybe he has, or maybe he hasn't. I guess we'll know by Feb.

duckroll said:
Well, let's look at Ghibli sales for DVDs (Ghibli already has probably the cheapest DVDs for Japanese anime): Ponyo sold over 800k, Totoro is slightly over a million. That's not really encouraging when you think about a videogame which costs 6800yen.

Slightly off topic, but do you have a link to any site that goes over the Ghibli DVD sales? Surely something like Howls Moving Castle or Spirited Away has done decent numbers?

Cheers.

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:
I think Ni no Kuni's biggest problem is actually that it does not offer a new experience. Think about this for a moment. When DQ, Pokemon, and MHP entered the market, there was basically nothing else like it on that level in the market. By offering an original experience, they build up a very strong and dedicated fanbase, and all products trying to copy them don't meet with anywhere as much success.

Level 5 tapped into this very same thing with their first two franchises. There was nothing quite like Layton out there when it first started selling, other than Brain Training. Once again, Layton is less successful than Brain Training, but by differing itself by having characters, a storyline, and high production values, it managed to find success on it's own. Inazuma Eleven is also a sort a RPG which has no real competitor, and this certainly helped with its success. By offering an experience people might want but not find elsewhere, a game can really benefit from word of mouth and having a certain market all to itself.

What does Ni no Kuni offer though? It's a traditional RPG systems similar to DQ, a monster breeding system similar to Pokemon, high production values and FMV like two dozen other JRPGs. The formula is so generic, that the only thing riding on it was having animation and music by Ghibli. Well, let's look at Ghibli sales for DVDs (Ghibli already has probably the cheapest DVDs for Japanese anime): Ponyo sold over 800k, Totoro is slightly over a million. That's not really encouraging when you think about a videogame which costs 6800yen.

In retrospect, Ni no Kuni really had everything going against it, but Level 5's amazing track record thus far makes it seem like there's no way Hino could make serious error on marketing and development. Maybe he has, or maybe he hasn't. I guess we'll know by Feb.
i believe the book is the worst decision they could have made

it looks incredibly complicated because of it and is big as fuck

i read the book in a store and it only had some pictures with a symbol on it which you have to draw to get some magic (like lost magic)

its not needed to play the actual game at all imo

Celine

Galvanise_ said:
Slightly off topic, but do you have a link to any site that goes over the Ghibli DVD sales? Surely something like Howls Moving Castle or Spirited Away has done decent numbers?

Cheers.

old but with ltds:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=1348995&postcount=53
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=2164162&postcount=69

recent (2009):
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=2853453#post2853453

EDIT:

Studio Ghibli DVDs (partial ) sales (Oricon):

2,314,991 Spirited Away (Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi)
1 002 456 My Neighbor Totoro (Tonari no Totoro)
841,203 Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (Gake no Ue no Ponyo)
699,481 Castle in the Sky (Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa)
619,799 Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa)
421,643 Kiki's Delivery Service (Majo no Takkyuubin)
266,174 Gedo Senki ( include Gedo Senki Special Edition )

EDIT2:
Oh even better, thanks Duckroll.

duckroll

Galvanise_ said:

Cheers.

Howl's Moving Castle DVD as of July 2010: 1,217,251
Spirited Away DVD as of July 2009: 2,332,234

Ghibli historical home video sales:

*1 4,008,758 Spirited Away (DVD/VHS)
*2 1,322,036 Princess Mononoke (DVD/VHS/LD)
*3 1,305,376 Totoro (DVD/VHS/LD/VHD)
*4 1,245,912 Howl's Moving Castle (DVD)
*5 *,794,696 Laputa (DVD/VHS)
*6 *,775,266 Nausicaa (DVD/VHS)
*7 *,455,877 Kiki's Delivery Service (DVD/VHS)
*8 *,266,174 Earthsea (DVD)
*9 *,219,728 Cat Returns/Ghiblis Episode 2 (DVD)
10 *,181,633 Porco Rosso (DVD/VHS)
11 *,141,270 Whisper of the Heart (DVD/VHS)
12 *,123,214 Grave of the Fireflies (DVD/VHS)
13 *,*52,156 Ocean Waves (DVD/VHS)
14 *,*41,212 Pom Poko (DVD/VHS)
15 *,*34,632 Only Yesteday (DVD/VHS)

Dug out of sales logs from:
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/music/3914/1168328827/608
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/music/3914/1071968547/418

[NDS] Hardware - 170k
[PSP] Hardware - 185k
[PSP] The 3rd Birthday (Square Enix) - 194k
[PSP] AKB1/48: Idol to Koishitara (Bandai Namco) - 130k
[WII] Hardware - 124k
[PS3] Hardware - 100k

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Games that have topped 100k after 10th week

11th week
{04/12/06 - 10/12/06} 03. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) {28/09/06} - 151.036 / 3.523.342
{24/01/00 - 30/01/00} 02. [NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) {21/11/99} - 120.138 / 4.775.517
{31/07/06 - 06/08/06} 03. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {25/05/06} - 103.008 / 2.566.970

12th week
{11/12/06 - 17/12/06} 01. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) {28/09/06} - 225.228 / 3.748.570
{07/08/06 - 13/08/06} 01. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {25/05/06} - 119.991 / 2.686.961
{14/12/09 - 20/12/09} 05. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) {01/10/09} - 103.831 / 1.164.331

13th week
{18/12/06 - 24/12/06} 01. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) {28/09/06} - 429.017 / 4.177.587
{21/12/09 - 27/12/09} 06. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) {01/10/09} - 134.202 / 1.298.533
{21/12/09 - 27/12/09} 07. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) {01/10/09} - 127.259 / 943.615
{14/08/06 - 20/08/06} 01. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {25/05/06} - 115.335 / 2.802.296

14th week
{25/12/06 - 31/12/06} 02. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) {28/09/06} - 125.228 / 4.302.815
{28/12/09 - 03/01/10} 04. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) {01/10/09} - 123.474 / 1.422.007
{21/12/98 - 27/12/98} 00. [NGB] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland (Enix) {25/09/98} - 103.164 / 1.224.038
{27/03/06 - 02/04/06} 03. [NDS] More Brain Training (Nintendo) {29/12/05} - 100.218 / 1.795.973

15th week
{01/01/07 - 07/01/07} 02. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) {28/09/06} - 214.274 / 4.517.089
{19/12/05 - 25/12/05} 05. [NDS] Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop (Bandai) {15/09/05} - 165.494 / 770.391
{14/12/09 - 20/12/09} 04. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) {12/09/09} - 109.327 / 3.233.477

16th week
{21/12/09 - 27/12/09} 05. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) {12/09/09} - 149.120 / 3.382.597

---

18th week
{20/12/99 - 26/12/99} 00. [PS1] Dance Dance Revolution 2nd Mix (Konami) {26/08/99} - 113.813 / 663.001 -> it sold less, deviation between weekly and yearly sales
{20/03/06 - 26/03/06} 04. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) {23/11/05} - 101.839 / 2.347.363

---

27th week
{14/12/09 - 20/12/09} 03. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) {18/06/09} - 187.920 / 2.065.023

28th week
{21/12/09 - 27/12/09} 03. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) {18/06/09} - 246.925 / 2.311.948

29th week
{28/12/09 - 03/01/10} 02. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) {18/06/09} - 183.209 / 2.495.157

---

31st week
{18/12/06 - 24/12/06} 02. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {25/05/06} - 185.021 / 3.737.742

---

33rd week
{26/12/05 - 01/01/06} 04. [NDS] Brain Training (Nintendo) {19/05/05} - 160.670 / 1.172.011
{01/01/07 - 07/01/07} 04. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {25/05/06} - 130.021 / 3.948.235

34th week
{02/01/06 - 08/01/06} 04. [NDS] Brain Training (Nintendo) {19/05/05} - 130.656 / 1.302.667

---

54th week
{01/01/07 - 07/01/07} 06. [NDS] More Brain Training (Nintendo) {29/12/05} - 104.728 / 3.853.366

---

56th week
{17/12/07 - 23/12/07} 05. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) {02/12/06} - 108.629 / 2.370.673
{17/12/07 - 23/12/07} 07. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) {02/12/06} - 104.635 / 1.918.814

57th week
{18/12/06 - 24/12/06} 08. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) {23/11/05} - 131.806 / 3.600.419

58th week
{31/12/07 - 06/01/08} 02. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) {02/12/06} - 126.850 / 2.591.584
{31/12/07 - 06/01/08} 03. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) {02/12/06} - 102.701 / 2.093.370

---

84th week
{12/09/05 - 18/09/05} 02. [GBA] Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {14/02/04} - 158.312 / 737.345 -> reprint for GB Micro launch

Games that could enter the list with 3 big holiday weeks remaining (second is the very big) are:

Sure bets
[NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) - next week is 14th week
[WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) - next week is 24th week

Good bets
[WII] Super Mario All-Stars (Nintendo) - next week is 9th week

Crazy bets
[WII] Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo) - next week is 10th week / it must keep rising a lot
[WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - next week is 78th week / Famitsu didn't count it a new SKU after the relaunch and last week it sold a bit less from what it sold same week last year
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - next week is 55th week / same with Kirby
[WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - next week is 141st week / last week it sold almost the double from what it sold same week last year

If Mario Kart Wii makes it, it will destroy every previous record. Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. at 84th week was a new SKU in reality, like Wii Sports Resort.

Xater

Ok lots of people are buying MH but I still expected Ni no Kuni to do way better. I am actually surprised seeing this.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|    |      Game 1       |      Game 2       |      Game 3       |      Game 4       |      Game 5       |      Game 6       |      Game 7       |      Game 8       |      Game 9       |      Game 10      |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|
|  1 |  153.858|  153.858|  131.155|  131.155|  221.240|  221.240|  177.605|  177.605|  100.565|  100.565|   96.707|   96.707|   81.626|   81.626|  282.389|  282.389|  242.195|  242.195|  223.595|  223.595|
|  2 |  176.397|  330.255|  223.371|  354.846|  113.118|  334.358|   70.754|  248.359|   57.501|  158.066|   45.589|  142.296|   27.156|  108.782|  147.084|  429.473|  114.868|  357.063|  111.075|  334.670|
|  3 |   30.752|  361.007|  111.384|  466.230|  221.374|  555.732|   46.114|  294.473|   64.100|  222.166|   30.271|  172.567|   21.706|  130.488|  114.445|  543.918|   96.598|  453.661|   89.689|  424.359|
|  4 |   12.899|  373.906|   59.507|  525.737|   60.018|  615.750|   36.569|  331.042|  118.346|  340.512|   39.170|  211.737|   18.765|  149.253|  115.709|  659.627|   67.344|  521.005|   67.745|  492.104|
|  5 |   19.279|  393.185|   23.496|  549.233|   77.705|  693.454|   33.286|  364.328|  140.541|  481.053|   57.109|  268.846|   33.882|  183.135|   49.539|  709.166|   81.460|  602.465|   71.333|  563.437|
|  6 |   23.401|  416.586|   12.789|  562.022|   22.384|  715.838|   54.874|  419.202|   99.038|  580.091|  104.604|  373.450|   43.490|  226.625|   42.770|  751.936|  160.115|  762.580|  110.537|  673.974|
|  7 |    9.108|  425.694|   12.632|  574.654|   10.079|  725.917|  132.468|  551.670|   23.279|  603.370|   49.488|  422.938|  103.008|  329.633|   27.784|  779.720|  307.901|1.070.481|   64.447|  738.421|
|  8 |   24.813|  450.507|    9.381|  584.034|   12.649|  738.566|  126.220|  677.890|   14.145|  617.515|   39.437|  462.375|   29.102|  358.735|   20.933|  800.653|  162.163|1.232.644|   56.841|  795.262|
|  9 |   20.330|  470.837|   10.278|  594.312|    8.416|  746.982|   92.638|  770.528|    8.629|  626.144|   13.946|  476.321|   34.466|  393.201|   18.584|  819.237|  208.094|1.440.738|   52.031|  847.293|
| 10 |   12.571|  483.407|    6.855|  601.167|    7.861|  754.843|   21.754|  792.282|    5.981|  632.125|    7.041|  483.362|         |         |   15.628|  834.865|   52.345|1.493.083|   43.060|  890.353|
| 11 |   14.825|  498.232|    8.516|  609.683|    6.555|  761.399|   13.305|  805.587|    4.314|  636.439|         |         |         |         |   10.405|  845.270|   38.031|1.531.114|   38.326|  928.679|
| 12 |   15.632|  510.863|    7.326|  617.008|    7.062|  768.460|    7.766|  813.353|         |         |         |         |         |  411.498|    9.488|  854.758|   25.980|1.557.094|   42.327|  971.006|
| 13 |   14.087|  524.951|    5.421|  622.429|    5.256|  773.716|    6.757|  820.110|         |         |         |         |         |         |    7.814|  862.572|   19.068|1.576.162|   29.840|1.000.846|
| 14 |   12.792|  537.743|    5.531|  627.960|    3.849|  777.565|    5.426|  825.536|         |         |         |         |         |         |    7.878|  870.450|   15.765|1.591.927|   30.607|1.031.453|
| 15 |   20.017|  557.760|         |         |    4.411|  781.976|    5.078|  830.614|         |         |         |         |         |         |    6.837|  877.287|   14.713|1.606.640|   26.871|1.058.324|
| 16 |   17.134|  574.894|         |         |         |         |    3.302|  833.916|         |         |         |         |         |  422.364|    6.804|  884.091|    9.791|1.616.431|   19.429|1.077.753|
| 17 |   10.152|  585.046|         |         |         |         |    3.073|  836.989|         |         |         |         |         |         |    5.493|  889.584|    9.533|1.625.964|   20.652|1.098.405|
| 18 |    6.601|  591.647|         |         |         |         |    2.579|  839.568|         |         |         |         |         |         |    7.083|  896.667|    8.544|1.634.508|   20.018|1.118.423|
| 19 |         |         |         |         |         |         |    3.437|  843.005|         |         |         |         |         |         |    7.868|  904.535|    8.240|1.642.748|   18.971|1.137.394|
| 20 |         |         |         |         |         |         |    4.047|  847.052|         |         |         |         |         |  429.675|   13.914|  918.449|    7.943|1.650.691|   19.377|1.156.771|
| 21 |    9.659|  615.159|         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |    2.084|  431.759|   29.130|  947.579|    8.624|1.659.315|   24.849|1.181.620|
| 22 |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |   60.320|1.007.899|    7.826|1.667.141|   34.252|1.215.872|
| 23 |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |   46.035|1.053.934|    5.013|1.672.154|         |         |
| 24 |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |   68.175|1.122.109|    4.035|1.676.189|         |         |
| 25 |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |   16.221|1.138.330|    4.739|1.680.928|         |         |
| 26 |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |   15.318|1.153.648|   10.039|1.690.967|         |         |
| 27 |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |    9.352|1.163.000|   10.904|1.701.871|         |         |
| 28 |         |  635.462|         |  676.399|         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |    7.173|1.170.173|    4.491|1.706.362|         |         |
| 29 |         |         |         |         |         |  818.839|         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |    4.383|1.710.745|         |         |
| 30 |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |
|  1 |  330.255|  330.255|  354.846|  354.846|  615.750|  615.750|  677.890|  677.890|  481.053|  481.053|  373.450|  373.450|  329.633|  329.633|1.053.934|1.053.934|1.232.644|1.232.644|         |         |
|  2 |  376.408|  706.663|  483.350|  838.196|  229.393|  845.143|  224.458|  902.348|  216.409|  697.462|  153.682|  527.132|  124.628|  454.261|  256.832|1.310.766|  599.621|1.832.265|         |         |
|  3 |         |         |   46.053|  884.249|         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |   65.984|1.376.750|   94.195|1.926.460|         |         |
| LTD|         |  706.663|         |  884.249|         |  845.143|         |  902.348|         |  697.462|         |  527.132|         |  454.261|         |1.414.586|         |1.983.713|         |1.215.872|
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game  1: {14/12/98 - 26/12/99} [N64] Mario Party (Nintendo) {18/12/98} - 153.858 / 706.663
Game  2: {13/12/99 - 31/12/01} [N64] Mario Party 2 (Nintendo) {17/12/99} - 131.155 / 884.249
Game  3: {04/12/00 - 31/03/02} [N64] Mario Party 3 (Nintendo) {07/12/00} - 221.240 / 845.143
Game  4: {04/11/02 - 28/12/03} [GCN] Mario Party 4 (Nintendo) {08/11/02} - 177.605 / 902.348
Game  5: {24/11/03 - 26/12/04} [GCN] Mario Party 5 (Nintendo) {28/11/03} - 100.565 / 697.462
Game  6: {15/11/04 - 25/12/05} [GCN] Mario Party 6 (Nintendo) {18/11/04} - 96.707 / 527.132
Game  7: {07/11/05 - 31/12/06} [GCN] Mario Party 7 (Nintendo) {10/11/05} - 81.626 / 454.261
Game  8: {23/07/07 - 03/10/10} [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) {26/07/07} - 282.389 / 1.414.586
Game  9: {05/11/07 - 03/10/10} [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) {08/11/07} - 242.195 / 1.983.713
Game 10: {05/07/10 - 05/12/10} [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) {08/07/10} - 223.595 / 1.215.872

This looks hard to read to me. 4 games limit really limits the data.

duckroll

Predictions:
[NDS] Hardware - 205,565
[PSP] Hardware - 187,123
[PSP] The 3rd Birthday (Square Enix) - 251,356
[PSP] AKB1/48: Idol to Koishitara (Bandai Namco) - 145,980
[WII] Hardware - 158,425
[PS3] Hardware - 85,555

duckroll said:
Howl's Moving Castle DVD as of July 2010: 1,217,251
Spirited Away DVD as of July 2009: 2,332,234

Ghibli historical home video sales:

*1 4,008,758 Spirited Away (DVD/VHS)
*2 1,322,036 Princess Mononoke (DVD/VHS/LD)
*3 1,305,376 Totoro (DVD/VHS/LD/VHD)
*4 1,245,912 Howl's Moving Castle (DVD)
*5 *,794,696 Laputa (DVD/VHS)
*6 *,775,266 Nausicaa (DVD/VHS)
*7 *,455,877 Kiki's Delivery Service (DVD/VHS)
*8 *,266,174 Earthsea (DVD)
*9 *,219,728 Cat Returns/Ghiblis Episode 2 (DVD)
10 *,181,633 Porco Rosso (DVD/VHS)
11 *,141,270 Whisper of the Heart (DVD/VHS)
12 *,123,214 Grave of the Fireflies (DVD/VHS)
13 *,*52,156 Ocean Waves (DVD/VHS)
14 *,*41,212 Pom Poko (DVD/VHS)
15 *,*34,632 Only Yesteday (DVD/VHS)

Dug out of sales logs from:
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/music/3914/1168328827/608
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/music/3914/1071968547/418

Thanks. Those Grave of the Fireflies numbers make me sad. One of the greatest movies ever made IMO. :(

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
FINALFANTASYDOG said:

Either word of mouth is pretty bad or eveyone who wanted it bought it at day 1. It's already 61st at amazon and it keeps falling.

donny2112

Cygnus X-1 said:
Well, it seems that holidays are saving Nintendo from a pretty bad year.

In terms of YTD numbers, okay. It can still be easily said that the year itself was bad, and the holiday turnaround is relatively typical for Nintendo.

farnham said:
i believe the book is the worst decision they could have made

it looks incredibly complicated because of it and is big as fuck

i read the book in a store and it only had some pictures with a symbol on it which you have to draw to get some magic (like lost magic)

its not needed to play the actual game at all imo

You need the book to play the game, it will ask you to decipher/go to specific page and input the rune in question to cast a spell. Also, the reason there's a book is: a. copy protection b. the game is targeted at kids so developers probably wanted the kids to explore the book, get better at reading, etc.

I think the game is struggling because some parents may find it too complicated for their kids. The book is over 350 pages...

duckroll said:
[PSP] The 3rd Birthday (Square Enix) - 251,356

No way in hell, 175k max.

Bebpo

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
You need the book to play the game, it will ask you to decipher/go to specific page and input the rune in question to cast a spell. Also, the reason there's a book is: a. copy protection b. the game is targeted at kids so developers probably wanted the kids to explore the book, get better at reading, etc.

I think the game is struggling because some parents may find it too complicated for their kids. The book is over 350 pages...

You also need the book for a lot of things outside just drawing symbols. A quest might ask you to flip to a certain page and answer "how many people are in the picture on pg.280?" "what direction is the wind blowing in the picture in pg.266". Or you may need to decipher a code that's in a made up language using the translation tools provided in a section of the book. Or connect the dots in the book to make an image that is the answer to a puzzle.

The game is a lot of physical real work to play. You're constantly referring to the book maybe as much as every 10 mins for the entire game. If I can't play the game lying down on my bed because it keeps making me sit up and do stuff with the book, there's no way anyone can play this regularly on a train ride or at school without the book.

For me the inconvenience of not being able to play it on the go or even relax on a couch and play it is pretty annoying and one of my pet peeves I have with the game. I can imagine the word of mouth of this will prevent the game from ever really being big in a society that is so portable.

I appreciate that they wanted to make it an interactive experience, but I think it was a bad decision financially. Will be interesting to see if the no-book PS3 version outsells it.

Prediction League (12/20-12/26)
[NDS] Hardware - 200,000
[PSP] Hardware - 160,000
[PSP] The 3rd Birthday (Square Enix) - 190,000
[PSP] AKB1/48: Idol to Koishitara (Bandai Namco) - 150,000
[WII] Hardware - 170,000
[PS3] Hardware - 85,000

Bebpo said:
Will be interesting to see if the no-book PS3 version outsells it.
P1530794.jpg

Will be interesting to see if Ninokuni PS3 manages to have the most expensive standard edition PS3 game beating FFXIII :p

Bebpo

Banned
The PS3 version uses a book too?

Well if I didn't have enough reasons not to buy that version already, I think that seals the deal.

I also think if the PS3 version is the same book, same spells, same towns/world to explore, etc... then even though they have different stories, the PS3 version's existence might be hurting the DS version's sales.

Wazzim

Banned
Kafel said:
So the PSP will be the best selling console in Japan this year ?

Nintendo should get Monster Hunter's exclusive for the 3DS so this joke stops.
You don't play MH so it's a joke to you.
Every MH fan knows how good the PSP was for the series.

duckroll

Castor Krieg said:
I think it just might be fancy packaging.

PS3 book has been confirmed every single time Hino mentions the game. I don't know why people are still trying to say that the PS3 version might not have a book.

Kenka

Chris1964 said:
Games that have topped 100k after 10th week

Jesus Christ, Chris. I love such posts.

Predictions:

[NDS] Hardware - 173'000
[PSP] Hardware - 145'000
[WII] Hardware - 97'000
[PS3] Hardware - 71'000

[PSP] The 3rd Birthday (Square Enix) - 189'000
edit : [PSP] AKB1/48: Idol to Koishitara (Bandai Namco) - 241'000

Jonnyram

So all the news outlets in Japan are saying that Capcom had shipped 3 million copies of MHP3rd as of last Thursday. Is this news? Amazon is now taking orders for shipments on 27th, so the shipment for this week (24th) has already sold out.

Disappointed at the retailers' knee jerk reaction to Ni no Kuni's initial sales, but this last weekend was probably the best time for Christmas sales too, so it's kind of expected. I bought a second copy for my son. Hope he enjoys it...

klee123

Bebpo said:
The PS3 version uses a book too?

Well if I didn't have enough reasons not to buy that version already, I think that seals the deal.

I also think if the PS3 version is the same book, same spells, same towns/world to explore, etc... then even though they have different stories, the PS3 version's existence might be hurting the DS version's sales.

Well, having to use a book with the PS3 version makes a lot more sense than the DS version at least.

Jonnyram

Yeah, I could totally live with a book for the PS3 version, but having a book for a portable game makes no sense at all. If you look at the strategy guides for Monster Hunter Portable games, they are all A6/B6 size. Level-5 should have gone for something like that, but I understand they wanted to make it feel like a proper tome.

cvxfreak

Truthfully, part of the reason why I haven't gotten Ni no Kuni either is because I can't think of a proper time to end up going through the Magic Master to play the game. I ride a relatively busy line in Tokyo-Yokohama, which is where I do a lot of my handheld gaming. But often times I have to stand the whole time because it gets packed. There's no way I can use the Magic Master in those conditions. And when I'm home, I'd honestly rather be playing a home console than use the DS or PSP.

That said, it does look so tempting as the price goes down. :lol

duckroll said:
Okay guys, do we want to change our predictions? Cue quoting of "making predictions after half time score", etc. :
Getting any shipment or preorder info is the exception to the rule, and many times its also misleading. Predictions can be edited up to the deadline.

EDIT: duckroll, you know you jinxed it when you said 3rd birthday was the only interesting title to predict. You set into stone that AKB48 would outsell it. This is only a consequence of your actions :p

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Getting any shipment or preorder info is the exception to the rule, and many times its also misleading. Predictions can be edited up to the deadline.

EDIT: duckroll, you know you jinxed it when you said 3rd birthday was the only interesting title to predict. You set into stone that AKB48 would outsell it. This is only a consequence of your actions :p

I don't care! Aya Brea is MAI WAIFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<3

duckroll said:
The publisher for AKB48 says that as of last Thursday, they have confirmed over 250k in pre-orders for the game. If the pace keeps up they believe the game can sell over 500k eventually.

Dear God, it begins...

onken

[NDS] Hardware - 170k
[PSP] Hardware - 190k
[PSP] The 3rd Birthday (Square Enix) - 170k
[PSP] AKB1/48: Idol to Koishitara (Bandai Namco) - 260k
[WII] Hardware - 180k
[PS3] Hardware - 80k

Top Bottom