• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 25 - 31, 2010

Famitsu software sales (2/1 – 2/7)

1. [PSP] God Eater
2. [DS] Dragon Quest VI
3. [PS3] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope
4. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii
5. [DS] Tomodachi Collection
6. [PS3] End of Eternity
7. [WII] Wii Fit Plus
8. [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
9. [PSP] pop’n music portable
10. [WII] Wii Sports Resort

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/32954/

cvxfreak

I think Biohazard 5 Alternative Edition may end up actually selling more than Biohazard Darkside Chronicles, even before we begin to consider the whole DLC situation.

At first I thought Darkside Chronicles would come out ahead, but Capcom's doing quite a nice job of promoting Alternative Edition in Japan, and the lower price helps. I admit that Darkside sold less than I expected. Given that Biohazard 4 Wii Edition managed to sell 135K, I expected Darkside Chronicles to make it to at least 175K, putting it in between 4 Wii Edition and Umbrella Chronicles. It might still get there if its legs were particularly long (and they might be, who knows), but now I'd bet on Alternative Edition being the better selling Biohazard game until Portable hits. Maybe Alternative Edition can sell 150K or so?

duckroll

What do you really expect out of RE Portable though? I feel it's way too intangible to even speculate on what impact it'll have, since we don't know what sort of game it is or how much importance Capcom will really place on the production.

KingDizzi

Banned
I expected so much more for God Eater, good numbers none of the less however 100k less than what I expected. Did Famitsu review the game? Going by the demo I thought the game was very good, might still be good and have great legs.

Edit - Sell through is very good though, those Comgnet numbers fooled me. :p

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
What do you really expect out of RE Portable though? I feel it's way too intangible to even speculate on what impact it'll have, since we don't know what sort of game it is or how much importance Capcom will really place on the production.

Biohazard is still Capcom's biggest worldwide property and behind only Monster Hunter in Japan. It's amazing how Biohazard has managed to remain very relevant in Japan in spite of the many properties that have risen and fallen in the last 14 years. I say from the developer side, Capcom puts a serious effort at it. If it has multiplayer like the last few Biohazards, I think that will help the game.

I'm cautiously optimistic. :D

This is assuming this even comes out at all. If not, then well. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SO4 looks high. I admit I thought it would do 200k lifetime. If those are right, I don't feel too terrible about that prediction, although still terrible.

edit: Should comment I don't think those are great sales. Just higher than the average prediction here, probably. And lol at retailers for taking 150k. wowowow

krea

Banned
bttb said:
http://jin115.com/archives/51633817.html
To be confirmed:
Non-rounded Famitsu Top 50 + other new releases.

/ ̄ ̄\
            /⌒丶/   _ノ  \/⌒\
           /´   |    ( >)(<)   ヽ
           | /   |     (__人__)     |
       .    |     |  /// ( 3ノ     .|
           |     |         }ノ     ,|   キターー Xbox 360最高ーー!
       .    |     ヽ        }    丿
           ノヽ`   ノヽ、.,__ __ノ   /      
          /   ,/ソ         \ /  360はもはや『エンド オブ エタニティ』しかありません!
         (       ,/    `´   |      
          \   イ  ´         |        誰か助けて~
           \  ヽ \    八  ノ
             ヽ    ` ー ´人` /
              \     / ´,、ヽノ
             ノ⌒    /      |
            /            ノ_
            | ノ     ヽ    丿 \
         /⌒l |.      ■■■■    \
         /  l,丿 ,    ■■■■■   . \
        |  /  ´     ■■■■       \
       丿 /   ,     ./■■■   ヽ    |
      /  |,   |    /      )\      ヽ
      ヽ ノ    ヽ__,/      . (  _\_     |
      (_)__)|___,/          (__)_)_)ヽ、__/

"Xbox 360 Kita best shots!
360 am not anymore only the end of eternity!
Someone help me ~" said Google-san

i think, ps3 and wii hardware sales are on the same level

Majmun

Top 50 round-up

14 PSP games
13 Wii games
12 DS Games
10 Ps3 games
1 XB360 game

I never knew that the ps3 version of Modern Warfare 2 sold over 200k copies in Japan...

Road

Khrno said:
Last gen heavy hitters, Winning Eleven and Musou million seller days are long gone as well.
Konami needs to do something with the series (PS2, PS3, PSP, WII and 360):

2008 - 1,314,000
2009 - 964,000
2010 - 709,000

Psychotext said:
WTF is that supposed to be?
I guess it's just because there's only one 360 game in the top 50 (End of Eternity)?

Tenbatsu

cvxfreak said:
42 Wii モンスターハンター3(トライ)2,600/1,000,200/98%

=O
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif

rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif
rwqk1z.gif

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sammy Samusu said:
Current Week / Shipped / Life to date

?

That is what it looks like.

We've went from getting no numbers to getting exact shipment numbers for the top 50.

Durante

SO4 did slightly better than I thought it would, but it's very close. Huge shipment though, there's no way they'll ship any more.

15. [PS3] Ar Tonelico 3 - 9,200 / 95,000
Awesome, it beat part 1 LTD and is already basically on par with part 2. Should definitely top 100k.

cvxfreak

MH3 only made it to 1 Million because of the hefty discounts at a (relatively) small number of retailers.

I think it's a sign that a Best Price version, with a renewed ad campaign and a universal presence, would do very well for itself.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
MH3 only made it to 1 Million because of the hefty discounts at a (relatively) small number of retailers.

I think it's a sign that a Best Price version, with a renewed ad campaign and a universal presence, would do very well for itself.

Yeah, I think a Best version has to be coming pretty soon given how successful the PSP versions have done. Maybe that will be Nintendo's big Golden Week title :lol

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
Yeah, I think a Best version has to be coming pretty soon given how successful the PSP versions have done. Maybe that will be Nintendo's big Golden Week title :lol

Sure, if Capcom can convince retailers to stock it. :lol

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
Sure, if Capcom can convince retailers to stock it. :lol

True. If Capcom really shipped 1.15M copies, a best version might not be coming for a while.

Most of the shipments number look extremely small. Some titles just couldn't do the same numbers next week, titles released years ago would only last 2 weeks, budget titles with long shelf life with barely 2-3 weeks stock, etc...

Examples:
- 20k EOE PS3 left, selling 29k this week
- 17k Wii Sports Resort left, sold 13k this week
- 4,5k MAG left, selling 9,8k this week
- 13k Mario Kart left, selling 8k this week
- 4k EOE 360 left, selling 5,3k this week
- 9k PSP2 left, selling 5k this week
- 6k CODMW2 PS3 left, selling 4k this week
- 3,4k Climax Heroes W left, selling 3,1k this week
- 6,5k Yakuza 3 Budget left, selling 3,1k this week
- 6k MGS4 budget left, selling 2,8k this week
- 5,5k CODMW1 budget left, selling 2,7k this week
- 7,7k Wii Sports left, selling 2,5k this week

Really, many of those just doesn't make any sense. And its not taking some new releases into account, which of course are skewed by frontload-ness but still undershipped:
- 49k God Eater left, selling 276k in 4 days
- 1200 Pop'n'music left, selling 21k in 4 days

cvxfreak

Mario Kart Wii is definitely something that gets stocked every week. I see boxes of it all the time behind counters. It's packaging is physically too big to have such a massive back stock.

Constant restocks themselves aren't so unbelievable. Makes perfect sense actually.

dolemite

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Most of the shipments number look extremely small. Some titles just couldn't do the same numbers next week, titles released years ago would only last 2 weeks, budget titles with long shelf life with barely 2-3 weeks stock, etc...

Examples:
- 20k EOE PS3 left, selling 29k this week
- 17k Wii Sports Resort left, sold 13k this week
- 4,5k MAG left, selling 9,8k this week
- 13k Mario Kart left, selling 8k this week
- 4k EOE 360 left, selling 5,3k this week
- 9k PSP2 left, selling 5k this week
- 6k CODMW2 PS3 left, selling 4k this week
- 3,4k Climax Heroes W left, selling 3,1k this week
- 6,5k Yakuza 3 Budget left, selling 3,1k this week
- 6k MGS4 budget left, selling 2,8k this week
- 5,5k CODMW1 budget left, selling 2,7k this week
- 7,7k Wii Sports left, selling 2,5k this week

Really, many of those just doesn't make any sense. And its not taking some new releases into account, which of course are skewed by frontload-ness but still undershipped:
- 49k God Eater left, selling 276k in 4 days
- 1200 Pop'n'music left, selling 21k in 4 days
The older titles are certainly getting regular weekly shipments and the newer title have yet to plateau.

schuelma

Not to mention the pretty vast difference in MH Tri shipment numbers between Famitsu and Capcom.

Road

We're seeing how trackers can disagree so much with BBS. I wouldn't lose sleep over Famitsu's estimates of shipments.

ccbfan

schuelma said:

Hasn't MH3 already been at or lower than Best version price like 1 month after it was released?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Durante said:
Awesome, it beat part 1 LTD and is already basically on par with part 2. Should definitely top 100k.

That's awesome. Glad to see AT3 doing well (for AT that is... ^^).

GUST is one of the few smart developers left in Japan in that:

1) They know they're audience is tiny compared to say, Square-Enix
2) As such, they budget appropriately (I've been playing AT3 for 10 hours-ish and while it's a PS3 game lets not kid ourselves, it looks like an upscaled PS2 game)
3) But by the same token, they know they're audience doesn't care, and for that they will most likely stay in business while other companies constantly going for broke are doing just that; going broke.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
I think it's a sign that Japanese games cost too fucking much! I am utterly shocked that game prices have not dropped over the past 5 years, considering the state of the economy. No, they have actually gone up in most cases.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
velvet_nitemare said:
Looks like SO4 won't crawl past/be lucky to do 100K, like that one poster said.

Still a shit game tho.
Who is ''that one poster'' who said this, because I don't remember him?

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
I think it's a sign that Japanese games cost too fucking much! I am utterly shocked that game prices have not dropped over the past 5 years, considering the state of the economy. No, they have actually gone up in most cases.

The Japanese government is trying its best to avoid DEFLATION though, and that entails rising prices. And I have to agree with them on that stance myself.

Kind of a macro-economic version of what Iwata stated awhile back about game price discounts. But then Nintendo games are like food in that they constantly sell. :lol

cvxfreak said:
The Japanese government is trying its best to avoid inflation though, and that entails rising prices. And I have to agree with them on that stance myself.

Kind of a macro-economic version of what Iwata stated awhile back about game price discounts. But then Nintendo games are like food in that they constantly sell. :lol
But if the government wants to avoid inflation, that would mean the prices don't rise which Johnnyram argued they do. You sure you're not talking about deflation?

cvxfreak

Souldriver said:
But if the government wants to avoid inflation, that would mean the prices don't rise which Johnnyram argued they do. You sure you're not talking about deflation?

You're right. I meant deflation. :lol

Deflation is such a huge problem for the government here right now. I actually think games have dropped in price to an extent here in Japan, even if they're not cheaper right away. Budget-priced games have a greater presence on Japanese charts than they used to, and of course there is the used games market. Even concepts like ¥990 jeans are catching on. Dropping prices seem good for consumers, but if it starts depressing wages and causing people to expect things to get cheaper, then profit levels drop and that'll have a chain reaction that most economists I read up on don't want happening.

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:
The Japanese government is trying its best to avoid inflation though, and that entails rising prices. And I have to agree with them on that stance myself.

Japanese gov wants inflation. It was the deflationary death spiral after the economic bubble that really caused the decade plus malaise in the Japanaese economy.

falling prices = falling revenues which puts pressure on profits. This in turn causes companies to cut costs, by laying people off, freezing wages, underemploying people, or just not hiring (not the rise in young college educated people still stuck in dead end retail jobs. a phenomenon which would not have been possible to Japanese youth in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.) These underemployed/unemployed person then spend less, which causes prices to fall further.

As for game prices, the used market is probably the biggest problem. the hardcore devourgames whole in a week, the re-sell it. bargain hunters wait a week for reduced priced games before picking up a game., or they just wait for the bomba bin.

So essentially prices are down if you account for those who buy games at 1/2 or 1/4 the price and not just the list price.

Chris1964 said:
Who is ''that one poster'' who said this, because I don't remember him?

KingDizzi said:
You gotta get with da times blud, he means there showing good support to a system which is doing very well. Suprised MW2 aint doing too well Japan, bad people getting shanked should be popular me and my bredrins love it.

So about that God Eater, what are people expecting for it to do? Will go out on a limb and say 400k first week, SO4 however will struggle past 100k. If past trends are anything to go by we should see psp-4000 this year, releasing with MHP3 seems plausable.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19580445&postcount=542

KingDizzi said:
Last I checked Comgnet a few days ago it had 63pt while DQ 6 was at 950pt, I don't see anything wrong with my estimation. Comgnet has been a pretty indication for how a game will do in the past and don't see that changing anytime soon.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19581199&postcount=552

Hopefully we get search back up soon.

schuelma

velvet_nitemare said:
Hopefully we get search back up soon.

It did better than some of us were expecting, but let's not get carried away- if it displays the usual RPG legs it won't sell out its first shipment for a loooooong time.

schuelma said:
It did better than some of us were expecting, but let's not get carried away- if it displays the usual RPG legs it won't sell out its first shipment for a loooooong time.

Not getting carried away, just pointing out that it won't struggle to do 100k, like some thought.

cvxfreak

ElFly said:
How big was DQVIr' second week drop, compared to the previous DQr games?

It's above DQIV DS but a bit below DQV DS, thanks to its much bigger debut week.

It's bigger than FFXIII's second week for what it's worth.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
[PS1] Dragon Quest IV (Enix) - 620,802 / 620,802
[PS1] Dragon Quest IV (Enix) - 143,232 / 764,034

[PS2] Dragon Quest V: Tenkuu no Hanayome (Square Enix) - 1,048,925 / 1,048,925
[PS2] Dragon Quest V: Tenkuu no Hanayome (Square Enix) - 248,342 / 1,297,267

[NDS] Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (Square Enix) - 601,737 / 601,737
[NDS] Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (Square Enix) - 131,901 / 733,638

[NDS] Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Square Enix) - 679,442
[NDS] Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Square Enix) - 185,061

[NDS] Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reviere (Square Enix) - 909,981 / 909,981
[NDS] Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reviere (Square Enix) - 181,900 / 1,091,900

KingDizzi

Banned
velvet_nitemare said:

Comgnet is usually a very good indication on how many copies a game will sell, I was very shocked when I saw those God Eater sales. Also if you look at that post of mine you quoted and put it into context, it's pretty clear I was referring to first week sales of SO4 and was indeed correct. (If those numbers are correct that is.)

Yakuza 4 the next title I am excited about, Comgnet numbers are not looking tol flashy.

KingDizzi said:
Comgnet is usually a very good indication on how many copies a game will sell, I was very shocked when I saw those God Eater sales. Also if you look at that post of mine you quoted and put it into context, it's pretty clear I was referring to first week sales of SO4 and was indeed correct. (If those numbers are correct that is.)

Yakuza 4 the next title I am excited about, Comgnet numbers are not looking tol flashy.

Wasn't particularly "Pretty clear" you were referring to first week sales at all.

For instance, MH3 struggled to reach 1 million sold, if it did exactly 1 million in week 1, that's not struggling, that's an accomplishment. FWIW i didn't even remember who it was until Chris asked.

ZoddGutts

SO4 did pretty well not TOV numbers but still good for an old port and shitty game. Next week it should easily go past 100k current ltd. Also MAG is doing decently for an online only shooter.

donny2112

KingDizzi said:
Comgnet is usually a very good indication on how many copies a game will sell,

Not to any great accuracy, no. We've been through this before with Square2005. No need to start it up again.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
More fuel for Valkyria Chronicles.

[PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) - 77,694 / 77,694
[PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) - 23,094 / 100,788
[PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) - 11,839 / 112,627

[PSP] Valkyria Chronicles 2: Gallia Military Academy (Sega) - 101,282 / 101,282
[PSP] Valkyria Chronicles 2: Gallia Military Academy (Sega) - 22,600 / 123,800
[PSP] Valkyria Chronicles 2: Gallia Military Academy (Sega) - 8,400 / 132,300

Top Bottom