• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 8 - 14

Deku

Banned
justchris said:
Nintendo is a Japanese company. I think they were just more focused on the Japanese market and what was wrong with it, which is what led them in the direction they're going. And now they're trying to push the rest of the world in the same direction Japan is already going.
That's an overly simplistic analysis. Japanese game designs have led globally since the mid 80s and it is only recently the west has sort of caught up. An entire generation of gamers have grown up with those characters, content and sensibilities ingrained and it is why Japanese culture is popular in the West. Nintendo's R&D software teams are mostly in Japan so their software, as cultural products, reflect for the most part, Japanese sensibilities. But the reason they're successful, is their content is global is nature. The same applies to the other multi-national software developers in Japan,

They are from Japan but not of Japan. When Nintendo was least successful was when they tried to cater exclusively to their perceived hardcore fanbase and when they thought their strength was to simply run every franchise they had to the ground, I'm glad that phase is over.

joetachi

Wyndstryker said:
nintendoownsjapandt9.jpg

Change Tokyo to Mushroom Kingdom and it will be perfect.:lol

Jammy

Banned
Derps said:
Seeing MGS's underwhelming sales worldwide makes me question Konami's stupidity at not making more exclusive DS games

Fixed.

Metal Gear Solid: PO might be up in the Japan charts, but the game should have sold far more than it has, both in Japan and in the U.S., where it sold a paltry 120,000 in its first month in December. Kojima might be surprised with the "demand" for the game in Japan, but I guess those are the types of expectations you have going in with a PSP game nowadays. This game deserved to sell at least 1.5 million easily in its first month. It's been well over a month and the game is nowhere near one million even (426,000 between Japan and the U.S.).

P90

justchris said:
Nintendo is a Japanese company. I think they were just more focused on the Japanese market and what was wrong with it, which is what led them in the direction they're going. And now they're trying to push the rest of the world in the same direction Japan is already going.

:lol

The market will buy what it wants, not what one lone company pushes, i.e., don't expect MS's Zune to overtake the iPod.

If you don't like the DS/Wii then buy something else. There is room for more than one platform in both the console and handheld markets. there is no need to feel pressured into a one console/one handheld future.

Taurus

Wyndstryker said:
Love it. :lol

Sooo, any predictions for the hw now when we have sw numbers?

Don't really have a clue but when looking at those sw numbers I feel like...

DS 172k
Wii 113k
PSP 71k
PS3 62k
PS2 49k
X360 21k

justchris

P90 said:
:lol

The market will buy what it wants, not what one lone company pushes, i.e., don't expect MS's Zune to overtake the iPod.

If you don't like the DS/Wii then buy something else. There is room for more than one platform in both the console and handheld markets. there is no need to feel pressured into a one console/one handheld future.

I was not saying Nintendo was trying to forcefeed the world certain games, just that Nintendo had an eye on the Japanese market, and was able to provide games that the market wanted before anyone else knew which way the wind was blowing.

Then they embraced that direction as the new company philosophy, and they're bringing these same games to the rest of the world, in hopes that markets other than their home market will embrace this new direction as well.

justchris said:
Then they embraced that direction as the new company philosophy, and they're bringing these same games to the rest of the world, in hopes that markets other than their home market will embrace this new direction as well.
Worked in 1985, working now.

TTP said:
When is the hardware data due to be published again?
Except in odd cases like the recent holiday period, we (in North America) can usually expect software data Wednesday evening with hardware data a day later.

As long as the Wii does well in Japan, I'm quite confident it will get a library in the long run much more robust than the N64 or GC and more comparable to the NES or SNES.

Square-Enix, Capcom, Sega, Konami, etc. will eventually start to support it more and that's good enough for me. Though I think the system will do quite fine in North America and Europe too.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
thefro said:
Yep, and furthermore, even if PSP and DS games sold the same amounts, development costs are cheaper on DS because of the limited hardware.

a gba port is still a gba port...doesn't matter how powerful a console is.

Eteric Rice

Oblivion said:
When does Yoshi's Island DS come out?

In the US?... It's already out.

Anyway, it's actually really strange to see the PSP outsell the DS. But, I suspect things will go back to normal soon.

And props to MGPO. :)

Oblivion said:
What the ****? Why so goddamn late?

Probably because New Super Mario Bros. and Kirby Squeak Squad (two platformers) are still selling a lot and it would only cannibalize sales. It's actually better for Yoshi's Island DS this way.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Eteric Rice said:

Anyway, it's actually really strange to see the PSP outsell the DS. But, I suspect things will go back to normal soon.

Man, you have, like, no idea what's going on in this thread at all!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
soundwave05 said:
Probably because New Super Mario Bros. and Kirby Squeak Squad (two platformers) are still selling a lot and it would only cannibalize sales. It's actually better for Yoshi's Island DS this way.

I'd buy that. In that case, I guess it's understandable.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Some upcoming notable releases for DS:

January 18th: Sekaiju no Meikyuu / Wario the 7
January 25th: Wish Room [Hotel Dusk] / Picross / Sangokushi Taisen DS
February 1st: Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On
February 8th: Luminous Arc
February 15th: Prof. Layton / Bleach 2nd
February 22nd: Sim City DS
March 1st: Super Robot Taisen W
March 8th: Heroes of Mana / Yoshi

Eteric Rice said:

Rick_James.jpg

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

cvxfreak

lupin23rd said:
cvx where did you find a Japanese Wii?

m

Sofmap Shinjuku, on Jan. 13, so my purchase of a Wii, Pokemon BR, Wario and Wii Play are included in this week's sales. :D

I was actually thinking of buying the Japanese Brain Age 2. Makes me wonder if it would be two ahead this week instead of just 1! :lol

Jonnyram

Mushroom Kingdom should be in place of Kyoto, not Tokyo :p
I think Nintendo would make Kyoto the capital again if they ever bought Japan.

I think that chart shows us who's been getting all the Wiis w/n the last couple of weeks...
Not that I don't understand why Japan is the focus of Wii shipments: The first quarter in Japan is traditionally the next best selling quarter after the fourth (and on occasion, is the biggest) but it can be equally important w/n the States (not so sure about Europe) up until the Easter season ends.

Square2005 said:
I think that chart shows us who's been getting all the Wiis w/n the last couple of weeks...
Not that I don't understand why Japan is the focus of Wii shipments: The first quarter in Japan is traditionally the next best selling quarter after the fourth (and on occasion, is the biggest) but it can be equally important w/n the States (not so sure about Europe) up until the Easter season ends.

Well, Japan traditionally is the most important market, even though it's not the "largest". Leadership in Japan tends to have a snow-ball effect in other markets, so I think it makes sense for Nintendo to ear-mark a disproportionate number of Wiis for the Japanese market.

Deku

Banned
Square2005 said:

I don't know about Japan being the focus of Wii shipments but Japan IS closer to China.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Taurus said:
Love it. :lol

Sooo, any predictions for the hw now when we have sw numbers?

Don't really have a clue but when looking at those sw numbers I feel like...

DS 172k
Wii 113k
PSP 71k
PS3 62k
PS2 49k
X360 21k
From the software sales, I dont think that DS was the best selling hardware last week.
Mine:

Wii 98k
DS 90k
PS3 45k
PSP 33k
PS2 22k
X360 7k

ethelred

DQM's dropping a tad bit faster than I expected... nevertheless, still good sales here. I'm guessing it'll end up around 1.3-1.5 million at this point. Which will be an incredibly good result for it, a huge reversal in the series' trend.

And :lol at suggesting Square Enix's DS support is stupid when consumers vindicate their approach more and more by the day.

Square2005 said:

Well, one thing that makes Japan such a valuable market is the developers in Japan. North American developers are far more willing to go multi-plat than japanese ones. Even if a japanese developer goes multi-plat, they usually stick their flagship titles on the dominant machine. Also, many major franchises/IPs come from japanese developers. If you have dominance in japan, you get the developers, which means more games.

starship said:
From the software sales, I dont think that DS was the best selling hardware last week.
Wii Sports and Wii Play did great, sure, but the rest of the DS sales in the top 10 alone nearly double them combined. Other than the big drop for DQM Joker, the ratio between the top selling DS and Wii games seems pretty similar. Sports and Play did about 40% as well as last week, while the immortal DS releases like NSBM, BT2, and AC:WW did about 31% as well as last week. Not the sort of sales difference that would make DS drop twice as quick. There hasn't been a DS week as low as 90K since... the week of August 14, when sales dropped to 74K at a time it seemed like they were stockpiling for the upcoming FFIII release.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
ethelred said:
DQM's dropping a tad bit faster than I expected... nevertheless, still good sales here. I'm guessing it'll end up around 1.3-1.5 million at this point. Which will be an incredibly good result for it, a huge reversal in the series' trend.

And :lol at suggesting Square Enix's DS support is stupid when consumers vindicate their approach more and more by the day.
I think its fast drop off related to its supply, I remeber someone posted something about its shortage and said SE couldn't restock untill mid Jan.

cvxfreak

I'm surprised at how low Pokemon Diamond and Pearl fell. There are plenty of copies around Japan (they did ship 5 Million after all), and no DS hardware is available in Japan.

Link

The Autumn Wind
starship said:
I think its fast drop off related to its supply, I remeber someone posted something about its shortage and said SE couldn't restock untill mid Jan.
*looks at calendar*

err.....

EDIT - Brain fart. I guess we'll see how it does on this week's chart.

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:
Greatest Hits version.

Still very shocking. Very few PS2 The Best versions actually do very large numbers, exceptions being Mingol, the original Onimusha and Monster Hunter Portable. Yakuza 2 PS2 The Best should be huge.

Top Bottom