• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 8 - 14

cvxfreak said:
Still very shocking. Very few PS2 The Best versions actually do very large numbers, exceptions being Mingol, the original Onimusha and Monster Hunter Portable. Yakuza 2 PS2 The Best should be huge.

I didn't know MHP was PS2 The Best :p

Poor, poor 3rd parties.

imo, MC is undertracking Pokemon now because they overtracked it in Christmas. DQ is sold-out if I'm not mistaken. MGS as well.

Yakuza > Yakuza 2 is probably MC trying to track them more similar to Famitsu (which has Yakuza far higher ltd than MC).

Tiktaalik

We're going to see huge Square-Enix/Nintendo tag team domination when all those Square-Enix DS games in the pipeline come out.

Haunted

Nintendo Domination as usual (itprintsmoney and all that), Wii Sports has legs, overall the expected drop-off in numbers after new year's week.
Love the pics, CheeseMeister and Windstryker. :lol

Totalriot

cvxfreak said:
I guess around 7-8 Million? In a few months, it may outsell SM64 worldwide...

Which reminds me of this really nice chart with all major Mario games we used to have. Could we get an updated version of this? :)

Kevtones

With all the money and momentum they have, Nintendo could/should start taking even more software risks.

Zelda MMO
Starfox RPG
Co-op Mario
ONLINE MOTHER****ERS
Kid Icarus badasston
Star Tropics

NINTENDO YOU CAN DO IT WITH YOUR WARCHEST BELIEVE

ethelred

Kevtones said:
With all the money and momentum they have, Nintendo could/should start taking even more software risks.

Zelda MMO
Starfox RPG
Co-op Mario
ONLINE MOTHER****ERS
Kid Icarus badasston
Star Tropics

NINTENDO YOU CAN DO IT WITH YOUR WARCHEST BELIEVE

Note #1: Taking all of your old, tired, and played out franchises and simply switching their genres around does not constitute a genuine "software risk."

Note #2: The RPG genre is not, contra what some may have heard, desperately in need of a new installment crafted from a furry's afterschool special.

Deku

Banned
Nintendo already took their biggest software risk and won, in 2005. Right now its about building on that and actually living up to their own PR, which is to deliver something for everyone*

*not actually everyone, but a wider audience than they had before. They will continue to lag in the jock demographic and segments of the hardcore 'male' demographic.

cvxfreak

Deku said:
*not actually everyone, but a wider audience than they had before. They will continue to lag in the jock demographic and segments of the hardcore 'male' demographic.

On my flight back to San Francisco from Osaka (I was in business class), this older Japanese lady was playing もっと脳をトレーニング on a red DS. I said wow.

Ceb

cvxfreak said:
On my flight back to San Francisco from Osaka (I was in business class), this older Japanese lady was playing もっと脳をトレーニング on a red DS. I said wow.

Useful info of the day. :lol

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
I think at the moment, Training games is the biggest franchise in Japan. Just look at sales these games had in the past 20 months.

Brain Training 2 ~ 4m
Brain Training ~ 3m
English Training ~ 1.5m
Gentle Brain Training ~ 1.4
General Knowledge Training ~ 1m

Nearly 11 freaking million copies in less than 2 years.
And just look at the top 30 games, still they all are there except Gentle Brain Training (BBA).

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Nice. But it's anecdotal, もっと脳をトレーニング is not a success. :lol

spoiler:

B000BRYNUU.09._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Kevtones

ethelred said:
Note #1: Taking all of your old, tired, and played out franchises and simply switching their genres around does not constitute a genuine "software risk."

Note #2: The RPG genre is not, contra what some may have heard, desperately in need of a new installment crafted from a furry's afterschool special.

My outlandish examples were simple knee-jerks. I think a Zelda MMO would be a risky software attempt however and a Skies of Arcadia esque Starfox RPG would be pretty damn cool (not risky persay, but COOL).

But yeah, caps typing = not completely serious post

Deku

Banned
They just need to make an onrails Star Fox game, and I will be happy.

As for the MMO, I think tying it to Zelda would be risky and Miyamoto would never approve, but they've done crazier things with their franchises before. I frankly don't think Hyrule is that fleshed out or that compelling, and the Zelda games are constructed more as hero's journey than your average fantasy ARPG where its more story driven. Zelda just kept getting retold because the formula is brilliant.

If Nintendo wants to do a real MMO, they should just invent a new franchise. They used to do that you know.

cvxfreak

I still think a Pokemon MMORPG would be kind of cool, if they figured out the logistics and all. I myself have never played an MMORPG so I'm not sure how those work in great detail.

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I still think a Pokemon MMORPG would be kind of cool, if they figured out the logistics and all. I myself have never played an MMORPG so I'm not sure how those work in great detail.

MMOs usually require a lot of real-estate, towns, fleshed out worlds. There also has to be a reason for the tens of thousands of gamers to populate the world.

I think a Pokemon MMO would run into problems because it would probably be very frustrating to younger gamers who have to deal with the vulgar language and attitude of other players. Also competition for rare items/monsters might get out of hand. Again, given the demographic who plays it (i'm not saying its for kids, but a lot of kids do enjoy Pokemon) it might not be a good thing.

MMOs are generally anti-social enterprises. I'm a big fan of FFXI even at my reduced playing capacity, I still spend 10 hours plus a week in the game doing events and what have you. I think a lot of parents will be upset if there is a Pokemon MMO, but I'm all for a more robust on-line mode for Pokemon game. I mean DS Wi-fi is still very clunky.

In anycase I'm not an expert in Pokemon games so maybe you can tell me why it will work as an on-line centric game (not necessarily MMO) perhaps something closer to Diablo or PSO.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
verplant said:
14 games... 10 weeks... about 600.000 PS3s - and still not a f***ing game in top 30.

I can't belive this!

Maybe because there aren't any interesting games for the japanese people? Really, the line up sucks for Japan, and for the USA also, taking out the nice Resistance.

verplant said:
14 games... 10 weeks... about 600.000 PS3s - and still not a f***ing game in top 30.

I can't belive this!
belive it belive it :D

I can't believe Resistence is so near RR7 and Gundam in sales. It has done above my expectations. Otoh, RR7 is so so dissapointing, its not leading the console, and its what meant to lead it. Gundam is so bad that even 100k sound good, its not doing as good as most Gundam titles although imo, its not as dissapointing as RR7 (sales-wise).

Armored Core 4 also failed to do much, we only heard first week numbers and then I think the other games overtook it in the charts so I don't think its past 50k if at all.

It would be a great pleasure to see PSN numbers, a GT free demo should have done really good, although I'd like to know Tekken in particular.

imo, the hardware numbers PS3 is getting with its current software and its price is sort of amazing. Not amazing as in doing really good, amazing as in they should be lower when you take into account the price, the software and the competence.

tanasten

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
imo, the hardware numbers PS3 is getting with its current software and its price is sort of amazing. Not amazing as in doing really good, amazing as in they should be lower when you take into account the price, the software and the competence.

I agree. Short of amazing. Maybe we will see sales of PS3 like the PSP sales. You know, systems are selling, but games not so much. Multimedia systems for the Win? Who knows.

BTW, I am not surprised about the RR7 sales. It's no more than a lazy port.

I think but, that the Wii and the DS has stolen the PlayStation thunder. Nintendo really did a good job in Japan.

tanasten said:
I agree. Short of amazing. Maybe we will see sales of PS3 like the PSP sales. You know, systems are selling, but games not so much. Multimedia systems for the Win? Who knows.

BTW, I am not surprised about the RR7 sales. It's no more than a lazy port.

I think but, that the Wii and the DS has stolen the PlayStation thunder. Nintendo really did a good job in Japan.
i think the ps3 just hasnt got any decent games. but from february games like dmc4, gundam musuo and vf should increase its presence in the charts

tanasten

cank stoochie said:
i think the ps3 just hasnt got any decent games. but from february games like dmc4, gundam musuo and vf should increase its presence in the charts

I just believe in Virtua Fighter. There's a big love in Japan for the series.

Does anyone have anf PS3 release list for Japan?

jarrod

Banned
cank stoochie said:
DMC4 isn't until the 2nd half of the year. Gundam Musou is gonna be huge though, probably PS3's 1st million seller.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
cvxfreak said:
1. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 61,399 / 794,118
2. (DS, Square Enix) Dragon Quest Monsters Joker - 55,180 / 916,000
3. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Play - 54,578 / 719,089
4. (DS, Nintendo) Common Knowledge Training - 35,819 / 1,098,912
5. (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Brothers - 34,628 / 4,003,134
6. (DS, Nintendo) More Brain Age - 32,865 / 3,838,652
7. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing Wild World - 32,864 / 3,876,696
9. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Diamond - 22,982 / 2,502,801
10. (DS, Nintendo) Mario Kart DS - 22,640 / 1,997,233

11. (NDS, Nintendo) Kirby Squeak Squad
12. (NDS, Nintendo) English Training
13. (NDS, Nintendo) Pokémon Pearl
15. (NDS, Nintendo) DS Menu Collection
16. (NDS, Nintendo) Jump Ultimate Stars
17. (NDS, Rocket Co.) Kanji Test
18. (Wii, Nintendo) Zelda Twilight Princess
19. (NDS, Nintendo) Brain Training
20. (Wii, Nintendo) Wario Ware Smooth Moves
24. (NDS, Sega) Oshare Majô Love & Berry
25. (NDS, IE Institute) 2 millions Kanji
28. (Wii, Bandai) DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2
29. (Wii, Nintendo) Pokémon Battle Revolution
30. (NDS, Nintendo) Cooking Navigator

Holy fuck. Software for Nintendo hardware absolutely dominates this week, and Nintendo as a publisher also dominates.

edwardslane said:
Nintendo has come a long way with the DS in the last year in seperating their DS from the psp.

Those DS hardware sales are due to the massive 12 month shortages that hit the DS after its incredible Dec 2005 sales. It was already decimating the PSP at the time

Jonnyram

jarrod said:
It could... Musou and Gundam are each hugely popular. It's going to outsell VF5 at least anyway...
Retailers have only ordered 150k copies of VF5, so that's not gonna be hard :lol

Ohh yea i forgot nintendo had a shortage last year too.

I hope some big annoucements come in the next few weeks, I want something new for my wii or virtual console (rpg that is)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

christ.

Shipped really doesn't = sold, this explains why i'm tripping up over next gen consoles on the streets of Tokyo.

Jonnyram said:
uh oh
DSlite: 110k
Wii: 96k
PSP: 45k
PS3: 34k
PS2: 24k
360: 9k

360: Ow.

PS3: What

PSP: Uh... nice?

Wii: Keep fighting the good fight, and you may be as good as your older brother someday. :lol

DSLite: All hail Japan's king.

Top Bottom