• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 20-26, 2009

I can just imagine the people sitting back, pit in their stomach, praying for MH3 on Wii to fail :lol

I can't wait for it to come stateside :)

That said, I predict 1 million LTD for it. Maybe 480k first week.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
A little late but here it is

Famitsu June 2009 sales (06/01-06/28)

Top 20
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/gmgk/m/
01. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 353,827 / NEW
02. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 171,242 / 462,453
03. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 170,490 / NEW
04. [NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (Capcom) - 65,863 / 267,680
05. [NDS] Paul Sloane and Des MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5) - 57,359 / 139,542
06. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 51,590 / 794,465
07. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires (Koei) - 49,059 / 127,739
08. [NDS] Infinite Space (Sega) - 48,397 / NEW
09. [PS3] Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland (Gust) - 47,456 / NEW
10. [PSP] Class of Heroes 2 (Acquire) - 45,282 / NEW
11. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 44,621 / 3,433,135
12. [WII] Arc Rise Fantasia (Marvelous Entertainment)) - 39,885 / NEW
13. [PSP] Fate/Unlimited Codes Portable (Capcom) - 37,779 / NEW
14. [PSP] Evangelion: Prologue (Namco Bandai) - 37,212 / NEW
15. [PS3] BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (Arc System Works) - 35,522 / NEW
16. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (Pokemon Co.) - 27,787 / 357,271
17. [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Nintendo) - 23,809 / 647,844
18. [PSP] Half-Minute Hero (Marvelous Entertainment)) - 23,618 / 49,481
19. [360] Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires (Koei) - 22,841 / NEW
20. [NDS] Let's Make a Pro Baseball Team DS! 2 (Sega) - 20,567 / 85,303

DS Top 10
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/gmds/m/
01. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 171,242 / 462,453
02. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 170,490 / NEW
03. [NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (Capcom) - 65,863 / 267,680
04. [NDS] Paul Sloane and Des MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5) - 57,359 / 139,542
05. [NDS] Infinite Space (Sega) - 48,397 / NEW
06. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (Pokemon Co.) - 27,787 / 357,271
07. [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Nintendo) - 23,809 / 647,844
08. [NDS] Let's Make a Pro Baseball Team DS! 2 (Sega) - 20,567 / 85,303
09. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven: Tap into the Rhythm (Nintendo) - 19,243 / 1,748,740
10. [NDS] WarioWare: Do-It-Yourself (Nintendo) - 18,790 / 175,482

PS2 Top 10
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/gmps/m/
01. [PS2] Evangelion: Prologue (Namco Bandai) - 15,005 / NEW
02. [PS2] Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix) - 8,568 / 68,550
03. [PS2] Super Robot Taisen Z: Special Disc (Namco Bandai) - 6,877 / 76,752
04. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2009 (Konami) - 6,403 / 148,583
05. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 (Konami) - 6,110 / 231,174
06. [PS2] Wand of Fortune (Idea Factory) - 5,914 / NEW
07. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009 (Namco Bandai) - 5,382 / 74,415
08. [PS2] Devil Kings 2: Heroes (Playstation 2 the Best) (Capcom) - 5,028 / 59,712
09. [PS2] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (Namco Bandai) - 4,682 / 233,161
10. [PS2] Metal Slug Anthology (SNK Best Collection) (SNK Playmore) - 4,620 / NEW

Busaiku

Chris1964 said:
10. [NDS] WarioWare: Do-It-Yourself (Nintendo) - 18,790 / 175,482
It's such a shame that this couldn't really achieve much.
Its first week was a very poor showing, and it doesn't have near the legs other WarioWare games do.

Pretty surprising too, given that Touched was such a hit and Smooth Moves has also done very well.

Linkup

Busaiku said:
It's such a shame that this couldn't really achieve much.
Its first week was a very poor showing, and it doesn't have near the legs other WarioWare games do.

Pretty surprising too, given that Touched was such a hit and Smooth Moves has also done very well.

You have to own a DSi, so not really surprising.

question to japanese experts (possibly living in japan):

how's the market and mindset acceptance toward DD games there? i keep reading it's not high, but has it to do with japanese people being slow in its adoption or a refusal of the format? will japan ever see a future with things like steam (or the level5 thingy), psp go and maybe iphone (its market acceptance there seems really low, not related to the "dd only format" as i read, though) or will it refuse to embrace it relegating DD releases to nicheness?

Shiggy said:
At present, there are no DSi-only retail games.

Btw, will Diddy Kong Racing DS ever see a release in Japan?

No. Which makes no sense to me at all, but I guess it was some sort of agreement with Rare or something. The original did around 600k on the N64, so there was no reason why it couldn't do just as well on the DS, probably even better.

Linkup

Shiggy said:
At present, there are no DSi-only retail games.

Btw, will Diddy Kong Racing DS ever see a release in Japan?

I meant, me being a fan of the series(except Touch!) and not knowing that about that is part of the reason it didn't do that great.

oops

wrowa

Stopsign said:
No. Which makes no sense to me at all, but I guess it was some sort of agreement with Rare or something. The original did around 600k on the N64, so there was no reason why it couldn't do just as well on the DS, probably even better.
It was a really crappy port though.

ethelred said:
Yeah, kind of.

: )

SovanJedi said:
That is amazing... but if you eat too much of the crust off won't the wonderful beany filling overflow and scold your face? I can't imagine having a pile of piping hot baked beans on your head is going to make you feel good either.

I want the recipe! :eek:

Where are these magic beans and how much do they cost?

markatisu

Dash Kappei said:
yeah, reliable like the first DQ9 numbers we had :lol

Yup, I mean I am sure it was quite large given the reports of large lines in many stores (vs DQIX big lines at concentrated areas) but I doubt it was like 80-90% of the shipment in 24 hours

It will be interesting to see the legs on MH3, MHG Wii had some pretty decent legs given that it was a port and the real draw to it (the MH3 Demo) was coming in only a few months.

Dalthien

I was just looking through the Top 20 LTD software totals for each system in Japan.

Some observations:

We all know it already, but it is still strange to actually see it. The top 20 for the DS just absolutely crushes the PS2. Everyone always thinks of the PS2 as this software-selling machine, but the top 20 on the DS already doubles the top 20 on the PS2, and the DS still has a few quality years left in it. Just incredible.

Surprisingly (at least to those who continually condemn the Wii as being incapable of selling software), the Top 20 on the Wii already almost matches the top 20 on the PS2, and the Wii has only been on the market for 2.5 years. The top 20 on the Wii will most likely surpass the PS2 LTD by the end of this year, after only 3 years on the market. And the Top 20 on the Wii will absolutely crush the PS2 by the end of its life. Very impressive.

I know a lot of people like to think of the PSP as a good software choice, but I really couldn't disagree more. It is a fine choice for some select titles, but overall, the tie ratio on the PSP has been abysmal since it launched, and it still sucks hard after all this time. The PSP has a userbase approaching 13 million, it has been on the market nearly 5 years now, and yet not one single game not named Monster Hunter has topped a million units. And only 7 games have managed to top 500k. That's just pathetic. Even the frickin' Gamecube, which only had a userbase of 4 million, and was only on the market for roughly the same time that the PSP has already been out - even that Gamecube system had 10 titles surpass 500k.

The less said about the state of the PS3, the better. And the 360 really has devolved back into a completely irrelevant system in Japan. I'm curious to see if Microsoft will try to make another push with the release of Natal, or if they have decided to just give up and throw in the towel in Japan for the foreseeable future.

Now for some interesting observations.

For verification of just how utterly dominant Nintendo is in Japan:

50,281,824 - DS (Nintendo published games only!) Top 20 LTD
27,916,841 - PS2 (All publishers combined) Top 20 LTD

Just amazing. The DS still has a few good years left in it, and Nintendo's top 20 1st-party titles have already doubled the full top 20 LTD on the PS2, including all the best-selling titles from Square-Enix, Sony, Capcom, Konami, Koei, etc.

But now the really surprising one for a lot of people:

27,916,841 - PS2 (All publishers combined) Top 20 LTD
22,378,848 - Wii (Nintendo published games only!) Top 20 LTD

The top 20 Nintendo 1st-party games on the Wii have already almost matched the lifetime top 20 sales on the PS2. Think about that for a second. The Wii has only been out for 2.5 years, and still has a userbase less than half of the PS2. With Wii Sports Resort, NSMB Wii, Wii Fit Plus, Mario & Sonic @ Winter Olympics, continued back catalog sales - the Top 20 Nintendo 1st-party titles could quite possibly surpass the top 20 overall PS2 titles by the end of this year (only 3 years on the market!). I bet very few people realized just what an insane amount of software Nintendo has been selling on the Wii in Japan.

°°ToMmY°° said:
question to japanese experts (possibly living in japan):

how's the market and mindset acceptance toward DD games there? i keep reading it's not high, but has it to do with japanese people being slow in its adoption or a refusal of the format? will japan ever see a future with things like steam (or the level5 thingy), psp go and maybe iphone (its market acceptance there seems really low, not related to the "dd only format" as i read, though) or will it refuse to embrace it relegating DD releases to nicheness?
I'm no expert, but they seem comfortable enough downloading phone apps and games, so I don't think there's any special aversion to DD. I think the biggest challenge facing console DD in Japan is that it's not common for Japanese homes to have internet, since it's also not common for Japanese families to own a computer.

ethelred

Dalthien said:
The less said about the state of the PS3, the better. And the 360 really has devolved back into a completely irrelevant system in Japan.

Actually, I think the best thing to say about the state of the PS3 is the same thing I said in that Dreamcast thread a few weeks back:

ethelred said:
... let's consider that if we rank all of the top sellers from this generation, we wouldn't hit a PS3 title until #51. We wouldn't hit the Xbox 360 until #178.

Yeah. Not so much a relevant player in the console field. Though... I said that before the release of DQ9, so make that 52 and 179, respectively. If you look at the overall top 50, though, 38 of them are on the DS, so it's pretty clear where the sales are.

cvxfreak

There's been a pretty wide push for internet connectivity on the part of Nintendo these last two years. Nintendo has made some marketing agreements with various telecom companies that give Wii and DS systems or connectivity accessories (like wireless routers) massive discounts in exchange for customers signing contracts. In fact, when I bought my black Wii at Yodobashi Camera, I was actually given a ¥30,000 coupon (good for a TV, game system, camera, anything) if I were to sign up for a Flet's Hikari internet plan. I live in a dormitory so I don't need the service, but when I move into an apartment, I'm definitely looking into one of these deals.

ethelred said:
Actually, I think the best thing to say about the state of the PS3 is the same thing I said in that Dreamcast thread a few weeks back:

Yeah. Not so much a relevant player in the console field. Though... I said that before the release of DQ9, so make that 52 and 179, respectively. If you look at the overall top 50, though, 38 of them are on the DS, so it's pretty clear where the sales are.

Monster Hunter will drop them down to 53 and 180.

neo2046

Segata Sanshiro said:
You're usually pretty quick on the draw, neo, but this news is Ye Olde to Sales-Age. :p
I think you haven't watch the whole video:D
it is not just about DQIX breaks 3 millions

AniHawk said:
That took a lot of class.

troymcclurefox.png

I guess it's interesting for people outside Japan to see. That stuff has been the reality of Japan for the last few weeks for people living here, though. Haha. I've seen more people walk into traffic because they have a DS held up in front of their face than I ever expected to see in my life.

Meier

swerve said:
Not in Japan it's not. Notably outside Pokemon Centers and in McDonalds.
It's still weird, regardless of how common it is. :lol

Guy at 6:55 or so rocking the DS phat outdoors... ouch.

cvxfreak

Meier said:
It's still weird, regardless of how common it is. :lol

Guy at 6:55 or so rocking the DS phat outdoors... ouch.
Hey now, the DS Phat has the record for most systems sold in one week in Japan outside launch. :p

Blablurn

Meier said:
It's so weird to see people just walking around with their DSes out. :lol

haha yeah, but it's awesome. here in germany, i feel a little bit uncomfortable when i sit ain the train and play with my psp :(

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm no expert, but they seem comfortable enough downloading phone apps and games, so I don't think there's any special aversion to DD. I think the biggest challenge facing console DD in Japan is that it's not common for Japanese homes to have internet, since it's also not common for Japanese families to own a computer.

i thought japanese had fully embraced the net, it's quite strange hearing this coming from one of the most technological advanced countries.

°°ToMmY°° said:
i thought japanese had fully embraced the net, it's quite strange hearing this coming from one of the most technological advanced countries.
They're starting to come around, mostly thanks to Nintendo, as cvxfreak mentioned.

It's not so much that they didn't embrace the net, it's more that they haven't embraced the net *at home*. And again, that mostly comes from the computer being a rare sight in Japanese homes.

The idea of every home having a PC is still science fiction here. I ask many of my students if they think that will be a reality within 25 years and they think taking vacations to a space colony is more likely. :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:
They're starting to come around, mostly thanks to Nintendo, as cvxfreak mentioned.

It's not so much that they didn't embrace the net, it's more that they haven't embraced the net *at home*. And again, that mostly comes from the computer being a rare sight in Japanese homes.

The idea of every home having a PC is still science fiction here. I ask many of my students if they think that will be a reality within 25 years and they think taking vacations to a space colony is more likely. :lol

thanks for your answers :)

gerg

It seems odd to hear that not everyone has a computer in their home in Japan when they have wireless broadband for over 90% of the country, iirc. What do you think the reason for this is? Does the fact that the internet is so easily accessible outside the home make the push for having a computer at home less strong?

Another question for Sales-Age and Japan-GAF: do you think the greying population is having a discernible effect on the gaming market in Japan now, and will this only get worse as time goes by?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gerg said:
Another question for Sales-Age and Japan-GAF: do you think the greying population is having a discernible effect on the gaming market in Japan now, and will this only get worse as time goes by?
I'd say it's having a large impact on the type of games Japan is buying for sure.

Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brian Age, and even Dragon Quest are all games that have a high interest level among older gamers.

However, things like teenager targeted JRPGs have taken a huge sales fall this generation, a large part of which is likely due to the people that bought them no longer being teenagers.

There do seem to be a few exceptions to this though. Major franchises that primarily target small children like Pokemon and Animal Crossing still do well, but that might be in part due to their parents remembering those games from when they were younger and if they do have children, those are the titles they decide to buy for them.

There is the Monster Hunter exception as well, which is primarily targeted at 15-25 year old boys to my knowledge, but since that game seems to be killing all of its competition, it might be a sign that there aren't many people left to vie for in that demographic.

Top Bottom