• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 22-28, 2009

Naruto

People are pretty happy with BlazBlue's sales performance. Unfortunately, it's going to drop like a rock next week, just like every other Fighter this Gen.. Most of it's success will come from the Arcades I assume?

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (07/02)
[PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega) - 41,000 (70%)
I suppose this is yet another very front-loaded release, but even if that's the case Sega better had planned to restock before the week ends. At least it shouldn't be as bad as Infinite Space and its two week drought, if they take more than 1 week to ship more Miku copies they are doing it really wrong (and this is Sega so... :/).

[PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 (SCE) - 27,000 (42%)
Should have long legs to be in line with the other titles, but its first day is pretty good.

Comparison (First week - Original Release Total + Re-releases totals = LTD):
2000 PSX Boku no Natsuyasumi 1 - 28k (Total: 209k) + (RR1: 144k) = (LTD: 353k)
2002 PS2 Boku no Natsuyasumi 2 - 133k (Total: 380k) + (RR1: 49k) + (RR2: 58k) = (LTD: 487k)
2006 PSP Boku no Natsuyasumi P - 25k (Total: 97k) + (RR1: 38k) = (LTD: 135k)
2007 PS3 Boku no Natsuyasumi 3 - 27k (Total: 78k) = (LTD: 78k)

Outside the PS2 behemoth, the first day alone matches each other titles respective first week. Its all about the legs although with such start it shouldn't be hard to eventually pass the previous PSP title (Portable) and the PS3 one.

EDIT: sinobi to the rescue, he gives out the first day figures for the last two:
PSP Boku no Natsuyasumi P - 15k
PS3 Boku no Natsuyasumi 3 - 16k
PSP Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 - 27k

Touchdown

Banned
Vinnk said:
Did I accidentally click on a sales thread from 2005?

Wii going 3rd party?
All PS2 gamers are hardcore?

:lol Thats exactly what I thought. Some things never change even when the facts do.

test_account

XP-39C²
RurouniZel said:
Ah, I wasn't thinking about M+ when I said that, just the multiplayer aspect.
Ye, i thought so :) I was just wondering on a more unrelated matter if NSMBWii will have Wii Motion+ support. I just quoted you since you mentioned NSMBWii, and we talked about the Wii Motion+ in general :)

Somnid

For what I can figure most of the remaining PS2 fans jumped to the PSP and are bitterly holding on to Monster Hunter as Square Enix has mostly left Sony camp for DS. It's really going to be interesting to see how Monster Hunter 3 does things, because it's probably going to attract some of those players to Wii but I'm curious about the residual effect on the PSP. It could be positive, or very negative. It'll also be fun to see round 2 of those charts with Wii Fit Plus and MH3 on the same system.

test_account said:
Ye, i thought so :) I was just wondering on a more unrelated matter if NSMBWii will have Wii Motion+ support. I just quoted you since you mentioned NSMBWii, and we talked about the Wii Motion+ in general :)
It seems to use motion pretty sparingly to begin with, so I'd kind of doubt there'd be much for Motion+ to do. If it's in there it would definitely need to be something gimmicky and unnecessary.

Johann

Vinnk said:
Now there is a bomba. Not surprising but still. It even had nice in-store flyers. I wonder if the problem is that most people don't know that it is a motion plus title. All those new adopters should be jumping on M+ titles. Maybe WSR ping-pong is enough for them?

It could just be EA's marketing and brand. I remember after EA Japan was consolidated, the company cited difficulties understanding the audience and marketing for them, similar to Microsoft. The also said they'll use the EA partners label to give developers more control over how their game is shown and marketed to the public.

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
It seems to use motion pretty sparingly to begin with, so I'd kind of doubt there'd be much for Motion+ to do. If it's in there it would definitely need to be something gimmicky and unnecessary.
Ye, that is true. Afterall, NSMB Wii is primarily a platform game, so there probably arent too much motion in the game as you say. The only motion that i have seen in the game (if i remember correctly) is that you shake the Wii controller, and then you will fly upwards (if you have that propeller hat (or what it is) power up) :)

antispin said:
Do we have Wii Sports FW vs. WSR FW? Did I miss those numbers?
Going by Famitsu, Wii Sports's first week was 176,880, selling to about half of the 350,358 Wii purchasers.

Of note is that it actually wasn't the #1 game; that honor went to Tales of Destiny PS2. It did eventually get a week at #1 in January.

Jokeropia

Deku said:
Larger yes, but you also have to factor in all the people who refuse to play it. Who either owned or was the biggest PS2 nerds.
I know, I just wanted to rephrase the statement "not even DS is comparable to PS2" since it sounds like DS doesn't quite reach the level of the PS2. In actuality it reaches an even higher level, but of a slightly different "building" with not all of the same inhabitants.

ethelred

Jokeropia said:
I know, I just wanted to rephrase the statement "not even DS is comparable to PS2" since it sounds like DS doesn't quite reach the level of the PS2.

The DS is certainly comparable to the PS2 in sales, but it isn't in terms of its gaming library, and it never will be. There are a number of different comparisons that can be made between different systems -- sales is one of those, but it isn't the only one. And if the argument is that the PS2 userbase has segmented, and has not entirely been captured by the DS, and thus the DS is not wholly comparable to the PS2, it's likely that a strict sales measurement isn't the comparison point being looked at. But then, I'm sure you knew that.

donny2112 said:
DS is certainly more ubiquitous, but that just comes from being a popular handheld. I'm not sure DS has actually reached as many people as PS2, though, considering the different ownership habits of a console and a handheld.

Right. The propensity for multiple purchases (due to revisions, themed models, or different colors) and for individual ownership versus family ownership are also important considerations.

donny2112

Jokeropia said:
In actuality it reaches an even higher level,

DS is certainly more ubiquitous, but that just comes from being a popular handheld. I'm not sure DS has actually reached as many people as PS2, though, considering the different ownership habits of a console and a handheld.

Jokeropia

ethelred said:
The DS is certainly comparable to the PS2 in sales, but it isn't in terms of its gaming library, and it never will be.
Now you're entering the realm of the subjective which is something I have no interest in.
donny2112 said:
I think it has since it's ahead by such a significant amount, and if not I'm sure it will eventually. There are people who bought multiple PS2s as well (due to for example DREs), and if someone upgrades from a DS to a DSL (or a DSi) they might give away their old system and so on.

donny2112

Jokeropia said:
There are people who bought multiple PS2s as well (due to for example DREs), and if someone upgrades from a DS to a DSL (or a DSi) they might give away their old system and so on.

I wasn't really getting into duplicate ownership (for the reasons you point out) but more that handhelds are usually 1:1 in terms of who plays it whereas one console can be played by multiple people.

ethelred

Jokeropia said:
Now your entering the realm of the subjective which is something I have no interest in.

I assume you mean "you're" rather than "your."

If you have no interest in entering the realm of the subjective, then in the future you'd be well advised to avoid injecting yourself into subjective discussions.

Jokeropia

ethelred said:
I assume you mean "you're" rather than "your."
Typo. I know the difference.
ethelred said:
If you have no interest in entering the realm of the subjective, then in the future you'd be well advised to avoid injecting yourself into subjective discussions.
Sales numbers are objective, that's why I like discussing them.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Jokeropia said:
Sales numbers are objective, that's why I like discussing them.
The numbers themselves are, but unless you stop at 'Yep, that game did sell x copies.. indeed..' you're moving into subjective territory.

Jokeropia

donny2112 said:
I wasn't really getting into duplicate ownership (for the reasons you point out) but more that handhelds are usually 1:1 in terms of who plays it whereas one console can be played by multiple people.
Nintendo had some data on this in their last financial report.

59l.jpg

Not perfect since the PS2 was obviously past it's prime in 2007, but still interesting enough.
Sage00 said:
The numbers themselves are, but unless you stop at 'Yep, that game did sell x copies.. indeed..' you're moving into subjective territory.
What's your point?

Jokeropia

JoshuaJSlone said:
That doesn't seem like the same thing. The average house has 3.0 DS players and 3.5 Wii players. Okay, but we don't know how many DSs (DSes?) there are in the house.
Right, user per household is not the same as user per system, but for consoles it should be almost the same while the DS' handheld advantage of having several systems per household is nullified.

donny2112

I just realized that local multi-play is a goldmine in handhelds (cue Monster Hunter "Duh"). Local multi-play in a console game means you can buy one copy of the game and play it together. Local multi-play in a handheld game (outside of single-cart multi-play which is often gimped or plainly not available) means each player buys one copy of the game to play together. Local multi-play Monster Hunter clones are smart for more reasons than just copying Monster Hunter. :D

Jokeropia said:
Right, user per household is not the same as user per system, but for consoles it should be almost the same while the DS' handheld advantage of having several systems per household is nullified.
But surely each row's numbers are based on households that have any of that one system, taking away value for intersystem comparison? It's not like the true average household would have more Wii players than DS players, or in Japan more X360 players than PS3 players.

Jokeropia

JoshuaJSlone said:
But surely each row's numbers are based on households that have any of that one system, taking away value for intersystem comparison? It's not like the true average household would have more Wii players than DS players, or in Japan more X360 players than PS3 players.
Surely, but the data is still closely enough related to the issue at hand that I felt it was interesting enough to post.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JoshuaJSlone said:
As far as non-compilation Tennis games go, it seems there are basically four categories: Mario Tennis, Minna no Tennis, Prince of Tennis, and games that never hit 40K.
Prince of Tennis are NOT tennis games. You might as well include FF or DQ in the list, they are equally related(I found that the hard way too -_-).
Was Love Tennis(PS2) ever tracked on data we have available? I'm morbidly curious how that did, given how utterly horrible the game was.

donny2112 said:
Monster Hunter clones are smart for more reasons than just copying Monster Hunter. :D
So you think publishers will probably move away from the 5 PSN activations rule on future PSP games? :/

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
donny2112 said:
Is that gamesharing for PSN PSP downloads?
And PS1, and most PS3 ones. At any rate I just meant that this could potentially reduce the local multiplayer goldmine, since sharing PSN game from a friend locally is a lot safer and easier then with people online.
Although PSP does have a detriment to this, since you can't use multiple account activations at the same time.

Fafalada said:
Prince of Tennis are NOT tennis games. You might as well include FF or DQ in the list, they are equally related(I found that the hard way too -_-).
Heh, I knew nothing about it other than the name.
Was Love Tennis(PS2) ever tracked on data we have available? I'm morbidly curious how that did, given how utterly horrible the game was.
I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but looking through my data for games with Love or Tennis in the name, the closest I get are a couple Love Smash games from D3? One from early 2002 that sold about 38K through nearly a year, and one from late 2003 that sold 6K its first week and then disappeared.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 237 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 191.1 weeks (October 26, 2003), where DS was at 102.2 weeks (November 13, 2006), and where GBA was at 160.1 weeks (April 12, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 185 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 17.3 weeks (January 8, 2002), where PS3 was at 38.6 weeks (August 2, 2007), and where Wii was at 5.6 weeks (January 4, 2007).

PS3 comparisons: After 137 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 45.9 weeks (January 13, 2001), where PSP was at 68.9 weeks (April 1, 2006), where GCN was at 126.5 weeks (February 12, 2004), and where Wii was at 35.7 weeks (August 3, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 134 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 99.1 weeks (February 10, 2003), where DS was at 77.2 weeks (May 22, 2006), where PS2 was at 116.6 weeks (May 24, 2002), and where PSP was at 167.7 weeks (February 22, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 34 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 46.8 weeks (January 2, 2004) and where DSL was at 16.8 weeks (June 24, 2006).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 62.9 / 37.1 bring total shares to 68.2 / 31.8. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 534.5 weeks (September 26, 2019).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 33.8 / 66.2 bring total shares to 24.8 / 75.2. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 373.5 weeks (August 25, 2016).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 34.2 / 65.8 are the best Wii has done relative to PS3 since the first week of the year. These bring total shares to 28.4 / 71.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 432.2 weeks (October 10, 2017).

Week over week, there's no uniformity in up and down, and Wii is the only one to change by more than 10%.
X360

Through the first twenty-six weeks of the year, overall sales are down. However, the systems can be split into camps of 3 up and 3 down. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -63.4%
DSL+DSi: +2.6%
PS2: -49.7%
PS3: +7.0%
PSP: -45.6%
X360: +216.7%

Home hardware: -39.1%
Portable hardware: -24.9%
Sum of all hardware: -30.7%

Last year:

This year:

So with Media Create we now have 26 sales weeks of 2009. Usually this would be the clear end of one half of the year, and while 2009 is an odd 53-week year, it's still about as close as we get. So I'm returning to a comparison I did a few times earlier in the year but haven't in a few months. This looks at the first 26 weeks of each DS-and-later system for each year, to see how things are stacking up not just in comparison with each other this year, but with each others in previous years.

Code:
DS   2007: 3,971,518
DS   2006: 3,546,051
PSP  2008: 2,135,961
Wii  2007: 1,954,852
Wii  2008: 1,699,410
[b]DS   2009: 1,656,077[/b]
DS   2008: 1,613,620
[b]PSP  2009: 1,161,825[/b]
PSP  2007: 1,083,147
DS   2005: 1,071,450
PSP  2005: 1,000,071
PSP  2006:   920,939
[b]Wii  2009:   622,169[/b]
[b]PS3  2009:   589,937[/b]
PS3  2008:   551,318
PS3  2007:   492,931
[b]X360 2009:   229,608[/b]
X360 2007:   118,583
X360 2008:    72,509
X360 2006:    56,961

No surprise that DS's craziest two years take the top two spots. X360 takes the bottom spots, and PS3 takes the bottom-except-for-X360 spots. In between those extremes is a mish-mash of PSP, DS, and Wii.

Looking at this year's numbers in particular, we can see that X360 has by far its best start. PS3 has by little its best start. PSP and DS are middling, neither the best or worst among their historical performances. Wii is quite low, not only being the worst Wii start by far, but also the worst first 26 weeks for anything that isn't an HD console.

Famitsu Software Stuff

As the big two leggy games of late 2007/early 2008, it's been noticed that Monster Hunter Portable 2G is slowly catching up to Wii Fit. It was actually ahead at one point, but then its legs slowed down until the Best rerelease. Anyway, as long as I was looking at a couple titles in that range, I noticed there were a few more even older titles in the same area. They show up lower and more infrequently on the charts anymore, so both Mario Kart DS and Wii Sports could end up topped by Wii Fit and Monster Hunter 2G by the end of the year.
MHP2G

Speaking of long-time leggy games, it appears that Taiko no Tatsujin Wii has recently passed up both DS games. However, since they don't show up on a weekly basis but seem to get nice boosts whenever they do show up there or on a large Top X list, it's quite likely they're both actually still ahead. The last time I brought up these three I said it looked like they were going to meet around 600K. Still sounds about right.
Wii

bttb said:
Nikkei Entertainment magazine has listed 2009's top 15 selling titles.
- Figures provided by Enterbrain/Famitsu.
- From Dec 29, 2008 to Jun 6, 2009.
Slight correction; that would go through June 7.

I took out the ones that already had an LTD for that week, and added in the end-of-2008 numbers for older games, so here are the new LTDs as of that week. The top four look to have gained about 20K each since their last Top 30 appearance, while the leggier ones that have appeared more recently only gained about 10K.

03. [PS3] Ryu ga Gotoku 3 (Sega) - 485,630
04. [PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Biohazard) (Capcom) - 467,819
08. [PSP] Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce (Shin Sangoku Musou) (Koei) - 382,191
10. [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 (Bandai Namco Games) - 316,797

12. [NDS] Style Savvy (Wagamama Fashion) (Nintendo) - 285,944 + 549,348 = 835,292
13. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Doubutsu no Mori) (Nintendo) - 256,057 + 895,302 = 1,151,359

test_account

XP-39C²
Dash Kappei said:
Ok, thanks for the info :)

Dash Kappei said:
Also, there's really no need to for a 2D NSMB title anyway.
Ye, that is true, i was just wondering if some Wii Motion+ support was be added because i think that the game has some motion elements in it, like when you get those propeller hats (or what they are), i think you shake the controller to fly. I guess that a motion like this doesnt reall require Wii Motion+ though :)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JoshuaJSlone said:
Heh, I knew nothing about it other than the name.
Yea I got fooled by the name too - until I played it on GBA. It turns out it's an RPG where you do "battle" in form of tennis matches and your spells/whatever are tennis moves :/

but looking through my data for games with Love or Tennis in the name, the closest I get are a couple Love Smash games from D3? that sold about 38K through nearly a year, and one from late 2003 that sold 6K its first week and then disappeared.
Good lord there was more then one of them... Anyway, goes to show how great PS2 was for publishers - I only played the first one, and that looked like it was running just on the PS1 hw in PS2 (and played even worse).
Though it did have nice Tecmo inspired box art and all...
566108_6416_front.jpg

919180_27000_front.jpg

Fafalada said:
Good lord there was more then one of them... Anyway, goes to show how great PS2 was for publishers - I only played the first one, and that looked like it was running just on the PS1 hw in PS2 (and played even worse).
Though it did have nice Tecmo inspired box art and all...
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/8/566108_6416_front.jpg[IMG]
[img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/0/919180_27000_front.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxndfrU4ALk"]I have heard that tennis is popular in Asia.[/URL]

doicare

Just a few predictions:

(wii) Wii sports resort week 2 sales: 105,000~

(psp) Hatsune Miku: Project Diva: 90,000~
(psp) Boku no Natsuyasumi 4: 65,000~

Spiegel

Prediction time?

Mine:

[WII] Wii Sports Resort - 185k
[PSP] Project Diva - 55k no restock - 78k with restock
[PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 - 55k

Unless Project Diva was restocked during the weekend, the game couldn't have sold more than 60k

donny2112

And now the answer to the question of "How could Nintendo have been so short-sighted as to think Wii Music and Animal Crossing would carry them last Fall" is answered. In short, they didn't.

http://uk.wii.com/wii/en_GB/software/iwata_asks_wii_sports_resort_2200.html

Wii Sports Resort was supposed to come out by December of last year in Japan. Problems with Motion+ delayed the release, so more modes/features were added to Wii Sports Resort in the extra time. However, they were originally pushing for a "Christmas release." I think everyone can agree that things would've gone much better for the Wii last Fall if Wii Sports Resort had come out in the same area as Wii Fit had the previous year. Now, we'll see if the 6-7 month delay is going to hurt the Wii in the longterm or not. :)

Top Bottom