• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 29-July 5, 2009

So with the "Wii" series hitting 10 million, it's definitely one of the more successful series on a single system in history, though it is a pretty loose series. Anyway, I was wondering which others have passed 10 million. I can come up with some by checking Garaph and other older platinum lists, but I wouldn't consider this comprehensive.

Mario - NES
Mario - SNES
Mario - DS

Pokémon - GB
Pokémon - GBA
Pokémon - DS

Final Fantasy - PS1

"Training" - DS (Pretty loose, but seem similar in a way to the "Wii" titles.)

Dragon Quest - NES

Winning Eleven - PS2

So you don't bother checking, here are some near-misses:
Final Fantasy - PS2
Musou/Warriors - PS2

Mojojo said:
Has PS3 ever been under 10K weekly in Japan?
http://garaph.info/labs/besttoworst.php?platform=PS3
By Media Create's count, it has happened 26 times. None yet this year, though.

donny2112

doicare said:
Wii sports resort week 3 sales - 70,000

I guess you just really like underpredicting Wii Sports Resort.

240K vs. 360K
105K vs. 155K
70K vs. ...

I seriously doubt Wii Sports Resort will drop by more than 50% in its third week. Personally, I'd be surprised if it's under 90K with just over 100K being more likely to me.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:

240K vs. 360K
105K vs. 155K
70K vs. ...

I seriously doubt Wii Sports Resort will drop by more than 50% in its third week. Personally, I'd be surprised if it's under 90K with just over 100K being more likely to me.

You don't have his sources donny, remember that.

On another note, any translation of the top 100 floating around yet? I'm just itching to update my charts :D

king zell

original.jpg

from Annop, its still 1 am over there (when the pic is taking)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ßig said:
When do we get first day numbers for DQIX? :D

I imagine we'll get a Famitsu/Enterbrain 2-day number Tuesday maybe? Seems like for big releases Enterbrain gives out numbers a day before.

Spiegel

AranhaHunter said:
What was the last LTD number we got on Demon's Souls? Anyone know?

Last known number was 88k

The game is in the Famitsu Top 100 with 134,585

Valkyria Chronicles *best version* is at 57,842 (last known number was 44k)

LTDs for psp games (taken from the scans so maybe I have something wrong)

2. Monster Hunter 2G best- 595348
8. Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid - 383326
12. Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - 317413
19. Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 - I can't see it
22. Dissidia: Final Fantasy - 229258
29. Idolmaster SP - 187039
31. Sengoku Basara: Battle Heroes - 176258
37. Mobile Suit Gundam: Senjo no Kizuna - 163763
51. Persona - 128709
67. Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin - 85876
72. Disgaea 2 Portable - 80927
79. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui V - 75042
81. Bleach Heat the Soul 6 - 74279
99. Zill O'll Infinite Plus - 57652

Spiegel said:
Last known number was 88k

The game is in the Famitsu Top 100 with 134,585

Valkyria Chronicles *best version* is at 57,842 (last known number was 44k)

LTDs for psp games (taken from the scans so maybe I have something wrong)

Thanks for that, has anyone translated the Top 100 Famitsu or Top 100 MC for the first half? If so, can you link me to it?

donny2112

AranhaHunter said:
Top 100 MC for the first half?

I don't think we've ever seen any regular non-weekly release from MC outside of the annual Top 500. Famitsu seems to be the only one to put out Monthly Top 20s, mid-year Top 100s, and annual Top 100s (and later Top 500).

* cue schuelma *

doicare

donny2112 said:

240K vs. 360K
105K vs. 155K
70K vs. ...

Wii sports resort is the only game that seems to do significantly better than what i've seen, and in a trend for the two weeks it's been 48-50% higher then what i predicted. It's one of the few games that bucks the trend of me being correct with in 5-15% of weekly sales predictions. If it happens again then expect third week sales of wii sports resort to be 105,000 and in any future predictions of the game i'll just have to add 50% on top of the data i have.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
doicare said:
Wii sports resort is the only game that seems to do significantly better than what i've seen, and in a trend for the two weeks it's been 48-50% higher then what i predicted. It's one of the few games that bucks the trend of me being correct with in 5-15% of weekly sales predictions. If it happens again then expect third week sales of wii sports resort to be 105,000 and in any future predictions of the game i'll just have to add 50% on top of the data i have.

You have made 6 predictions in the last month. 1 was correct as defined by your 5-15% margin--you were off 10% on Project Diva. 1 was in the middle--off 25% on My Summer Vacation 4. 4 were wildly off-base (your 50% error on Wii Sports Resort both weeks, 30% on Atelier Rorona, 30% on BlazBlue)

Not a fantastic record for a guy who already has the data.

test_account

XP-39C²
Liabe Brave said:
It's just like how most home media (movies, games, etc.) get released on Tuesdays in the U.S. No specific reason for that day, just a weekday so stores are stocked by the weekend.
Ah ok, i guess that one day has just been set as a common day to release the games on then :) Thanks for the info :)

king zell said:
original.jpg

from Annop, its still 1 am over there (when the pic is taking)
Xeke said:
Are these pictures people waiting in line for Dragon Quest IX? If yes, i think that it is nice to see that people already started to wait in line many hours before the stores opened :)

legend166

Stumpokapow said:
You have made 6 predictions in the last month. 1 was correct as defined by your 5-15% margin--you were off 10% on Project Diva. 1 was in the middle--off 25% on My Summer Vacation 4. 4 were wildly off-base (your 50% error on Wii Sports Resort both weeks, 30% on Atelier Rorona, 30% on BlazBlue)

this is why people like you, stump

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stumpokapow said:

<3 Stump

As a side note with all the line up pictures, andriasang offers us a sprsk stalking opportunity :p

15dqdug.jpg

doicare

Stumpokapow said:

I said i have seen pre order data not final data so your point is moot and when i talk about the predictions i make, gaf isn't the only place on the internet i post them so just taking the predictions i've posted on gaf and also limiting them to the last month overall is meaningless. On gaf 6 weeks ago i predicted the kingdom hearts ds first week sales to within 10% and i have no clue where you are getting your % for blazblue from because i predicted 40,000 for the ps3 version and between media create and famtisu they say it sold 34,000-36,000 week one which is within 15% of my prediction.

donny2112

Famitsu June 22-28

01./00. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 353,827 / NEW
02./01. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 70,117 / 170,490 (-30%)
03./00. [PS3] Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland (Gust) - 47,456 / NEW
04./00. [PSP] Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono. 2 (Sword & Magic & School 2) (Acquire) - 45,282 / NEW
05./00. [PS3] BlazBlue (Arc System Works) - 35,522 / NEW
06./00. [360] BlazBlue (Arc System Works) - 22,841 / NEW
07./03. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 22,388 / 462,453 (-26%)
08./00. [PS3] Agarest Senki Zero (Compile Heart) - 14,316 / NEW
09./00. [PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (Marvelous) - 13,588 / NEW
10./04. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 12,276 / 794,465 (-10%)

11./05. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 10,899 / 3,433,135 (-10%)
12./06. [NDS] Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5) - 10,235 / 139,542 (-4%)
13./00. [PSP] Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku o - Tenohira no Rakuen (Promising This Blue Sky: Pleasure Garden of the Day) (TGL) - 7,922 / NEW
14./08. [NDS] Gyakuten Kenji (Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth) (Capcom) - 6,956 / 267,680 (-20%)
15./00. [NDS] Really? Really! Realia DS (Kadokawa Shoten) - 6,889 / NEW
16./00. [360] Mamoru-Kun wa Nowarete Shimatta! (Mamoru Has Been Cursed!) (Grev Ltd.) - 6,792 / NEW
17./07. [NDS] Akira Tago's Mind Exercises (Atama no Taisou) Vol. 1: Puzzle Solving Journey Around the World (Level 5) - 6,734 / 17,147 (-35%)
18./17. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 6,194 / 2,427,625 (+43%)
19./02. [PSP] Fate/Unlimited Codes Portable (Capcom) - 5,957 / 37,779 (-81%)
20./00. [PS2] Wand of Fortune (Idea Factory) - 5,914 / NEW
21./00. [360] Time Leap (Prototype) - 5,591 / NEW
22./00. [NDS] Infinite Space (SEGA) - 5,445 / 48,397
23./00. [PS3] Bionic Commando (Capcom) - 5,343 / NEW
24./10. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 5,281 / 357,271 (-20%)
25./20. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 4,711 / 5,021,760 (+15%)
26./11. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) - 4,617 / 647,844 (-17%)
27./09. [PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires (Koei) - 4,525 / 127,739 (-41%)
28./14. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 4,435 / 1,748,740 (-4%)
29./16. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 4,137 / 2,270,750 (-5%)
30./28. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe (Nintendo) - 4,074 / 1,116,443 (+22%)

*. [360] Bionic Commando (Capcom) - 4,000 / NEW
*. [PS3] Wanted: Weapons of Fate (Spike) - 3,100 / NEW
*. [PSP] Memories Off After Rain (5pb) - 3,000 / NEW
*. [PS2] Under the Moon: Crescent (Dimple Entertainment) - 2,700 / NEW
*. [PSP] Pia Carrot e Youkoso!! G.P. Gakuen Princess Portable (GN Software) - 2,700 / NEW
*. [PS2] HimeHibi: New Princess Days!! Zoku! Ni-Gakki (2nd Semester) (Takuyo) - 1,900 / NEW
*. [NDS] Fushigi Yuugi DS (The Mysterious Play) (Idea Factory) - 1,800 / NEW
*. [PS2] Eureka Seven: New Wave Graduation (BEST) (Namco Bandai Games) - 1,700 / NEW
*. [360] Pure (Disney Interactive Studios) - 1,100 / NEW
*. [360] Wanted: Weapons of Fate (Spike) - 1,100 / NEW
*. [PS3] Pure (Disney Interactive Studios) - 990 / NEW
*. [PS2] Eureka Seven: New Vision (BEST) (Namco Bandai Games) - 960 / NEW
*. [NDS] Maruhan Pachinko & Pachi-Slot Hisshou Guide Kanshuu: The Pachinko Hall (Nippon Ichi Software) - 840 / NEW
*. [PS2] D.C. II P.S.: Da Capo II Plus Situation (BEST) (Kadokawa Shoten) - 830 / NEW
*. [PS3] Battlefield: Bad Company (BEST) (Electronic Arts Victor) - 620 / NEW
*. [NDS] My Sims Racing (Electronic Arts Victor) - 510 / NEW

Bar Chart June 22-28 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-06-22

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Misc. LTD Updates
[NDS] Infinite Space (SEGA) - 48,397
[PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 472,261
[PS3] Yakuza 3 (SEGA) - 489,739

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

May 25-31, 2009
June 1-7, 2009
June 8-14, 2009
June 15-21, 2009

Neo C.

AniHawk said:
The economy really hit these sales-age threads the hardest.
At least I can read the threads in a few minute, very efficient. All we have now are record lows and very conservative buying habits, not really exciting.

iidesuyo said:
PSP hardware has slowed down over the past months, but its software is doing well... I guess that's more important.
I don't know about more important, but it is a hell of a role reversal from last year.

wrowa

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm so glad to see an image with some scale again. But the one for Dragon Quest IX should be epic. :D
I hope it will be the best-selling DQ so far. Japan really needs some spectacular sales to redeem this shitty year! :|

Cygnus X-1

DQIX will launch alongside with a new Red DSi. I think it's likely that the DS will sell more then 100k even if the game came out today.

DQ frenzy is finally here, exciting times.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Winning Eleven - PS2
Musou/Warriors - PS2
Wow WE passing 10M and Musou almost doing that on PS2 alone is quite impressive considering their sales have seen quite significant drops even counting multiple platforms.

doicare said:
Prediction time:

Dragon quest 9 first week sales - 2.65 million
Wii sports resort week 3 sales - 70,000
A third week prediction, now that's something we haven't seen here.

donny2112 said:

Yep a successful casual title like this just don't have big drops like that, especially considering it sold out the first week.

iidesuyo said:
PSP hardware has slowed down over the past months, but its software is doing well... I guess that's more important.
PSP is really only down from it's revival, it's now back to what it has always been selling, but yes software is doing alot better.

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
A third week prediction, now that's something we haven't seen here.
Third week prediction arent really that common here i think, that is true, but havnt third week prediction(s) been done here before? I mean that i have seen it before at least, but unfortunately i cant remember anything specific, so i cant say for sure that i have seen it or not :\

EDIT: I ment "third" not "thrid" hehe. Sorry for the typos :)

donny2112

test_account said:
I mean that i have seen it before at least, but unfortunately i cant remember anything specific, so i cant say for sure that i have seen it or not :\

I'm pretty sure I did a third week prediction for RE5 (combined or PS3, I don't remember) based off of how RE2 progressed from the first week. That was more of a test to see how closely it would track with RE2, though.

test_account said:
Thrid week prediction arent really that common here i think, that is true, but havnt thrid week prediction(s) been done here before? I mean that i have seen it before at least, but unfortunately i cant remember anything specific, so i cant say for sure that i have seen it or not :\
Regardless if the prediction has been done here before or not, I don't really see the point. I would see why people would predict first week or LTDs here in support of their favourite game, but anything beyond that seems pretty pointless to me. There's more appropriate sites for such things. Anyway, it was just amusing to me, but whatever floats your boats.

donny2112

BishopLamont said:
but anything beyond that seems pretty pointless to me.

For RE5, I was trying to see how illuminating past weekly sales figures in the series could be for the current version. I think it worked pretty darn good, too. :) That's probably only particularly useful with a hardcore series like that, though. I think it'd be much more problematic to predict a Mario game or something like Wii Sports Resort based on a past game.

donny2112 said:
For RE5, I was trying to see how illuminating past weekly sales figures in the series could be for the current version. I think it worked pretty darn good, too. :) That's probably only particularly useful with a hardcore series like that, though. I think it'd be much more problematic to predict a Mario game or something like Wii Sports Resort based on a past game.
Yes for a game like RE5 it makes sense since it would closely match it's predecessors, whereas a game like WSR makes no sense since it's a title that will keep on selling. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek aimed at doicare specifically since he doesn't know when to stop. It's funny but I want to stop here before he responds and we end up derailing the thread again.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
I'm pretty sure I did a third week prediction for RE5 (combined or PS3, I don't remember) based off of how RE2 progressed from the first week. That was more of a test to see how closely it would track with RE2, though.
Ah ok. Now that you mention it, i mean that i remember that there were some predictions around on how RE5 was going to sell in the upcoming weeks after the game was released :) Wasnt there some 3rd week prediction regarding Yakuza 3 as well, to see how it sold compare to Yakuza 1 and 2 (and perhaps Yakuza Kenzan as well)?

BishopLamont said:
Regardless if the prediction has been done here before or not, I don't really see the point. I would see why people would predict first week or LTDs here in support of their favourite game, but anything beyond that seems pretty pointless to me. There's more appropriate sites for such things. Anyway, it was just amusing to me, but whatever floats your boats.
It doesnt really matter that much to me about 3rd week predictions, i just wanted to ask you if 3rd week predictions had been done before in the Media Create threads because i though that i had seen some 3rd week predictions in these Media Create threads before :) That is only why i asked you, to confirm if i had seen some 3rd week predictions or not before here, i didnt mean anything negative or similar about my question :)

BishopLamont said:
Yes for a game like RE5 it makes sense since it would closely match it's predecessors, whereas a game like WSR makes no sense since it's a title that will keep on selling. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek aimed at doicare specifically since he doesn't know when to stop. It's funny but I want to stop here before he responds and we end up derailing the thread again.
I think that it can be interesting to see and/or predict how Wii Sports Resort matches Wii Sports when it comes to the weekly sales though :) But ye, i think i know what you mean, that games like Resident Evil 5 usually dont stay within the Top 30 or the Top 50 chart for that long (relatively speaking), while a game like Wii Sports Resort will most likely chart every week with in the Top 30 or Top 50 for 1 year or so. And because of this, a 3rd week comparison doesnt matter to much when a game like Wii Sports Resort will most likely contunie to sell for a long period of time. Correct? :)

EDIT: I added some text.

doicare

BishopLamont said:

Yes i know exactly what you are doing but sadly for you it isn't going to work.

test_account said:
Ah ok. Now that you mention it, i mean that i remember that there were some predictions around on how RE5 was going to sell in the upcoming weeks after the game was released :) Wasnt there some 3rd week prediction regarding Yakuza 3 as well, to see how it sold compare to Yakuza 1 and 2 (and perhaps Yakuza Kenzan as well)?

It doesnt really matter that much to me about 3rd week predictions, i just wanted to ask you if 3rd week predictions had been done before in the Media Create threads because i though that i had seen some 3rd week predictions in these Media Create threads before :) That is only why i asked you, to confirm if i had seen some 3rd week predictions or not before here, i didnt mean anything negative or similar about my question :)

I think that it can be interesting to see and/or predict how Wii Sports Resort matches Wii Sports when it comes to the weekly sales though :) But ye, i think i know what you mean, that games like Resident Evil 5 usually dont stay within the Top 30 or the Top 50 chart for that long (relatively speaking), while a game like Wii Sports Resort will most likely chart every week with in the Top 30 or Top 50 for 1 year or so. And because of this, a 3rd week comparison doesnt matter to much when a game like Wii Sports Resort will most likely contunie to sell for a long period of time. Correct? :)

EDIT: I added some text.
Yep, you understood me exactly.

Hey there, just got back from a week holiday, I could lurk a bit though :p

Where's DQIX first day, come on sinobi. I'm going to quote some old-ass stuff for this week while catching up...

bttb said:
Famitsu Sales: 06/29 - 07/05
02. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega) - 101,000 / NEW
donny2112 said:
(Media Create)
[*]Project Diva is 93.69% sell-through.
wow, SEGA undershipped it big time on the first day with just ~58k but at least they got another shipment in before the weekend ended and still came like sold out.
I guess we could say SEGA more or less saved it this time, unlike with Infinite Space (nice to see it back btw, but holy crap it took forever).

bttb said:
Famitsu Sales: 06/29 - 07/05
03. [PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4: Seitouchi Shounen Tanteidan, Boku to Himitsu no Chizu (SCE) - 57,000 / NEW
Pretty good weekend growth for the 2nd best start overall in the franchise, way below the 1st but quite above the rest. Certainly a good fit. Update on the comparison I made...

Comparison (First week - Original Release Total + Re-releases totals = LTD):
2000 PSX Boku no Natsuyasumi 1 - 28k (Total: 209k) + (RR1: 144k) = (LTD: 353k)
2002 PS2 Boku no Natsuyasumi 2 - 133k (Total: 380k) + (RR1: 49k) + (RR2: 58k) = (LTD: 487k)
2006 PSP Boku no Natsuyasumi P - 25k (Total: 97k) + (RR1: 38k) = (LTD: 135k)
2007 PS3 Boku no Natsuyasumi 3 - 27k (Total: 78k) = (LTD: 78k)
2009 PSP Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 - 57k = (LTD: 57k)

Top Bottom