• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Numbers: 1/10-1/16: PSP > DS

paul777 said:
What 3rd party game do you want people to buy exactly? Fucking Feel the Magic? The GBA Sims?

Not to sound like a fan boy. But Feel the Magic is one of the best games I have played this year. It really uses inovation in a good way. And at the moment it's the only DS game that is good. Well I have not played Zoo Keeper yet but I'm sure it will not top it.

jarrod

Banned
JC10001 said:
What's happening is people aren't buying the GBA because the DS is out and its effectively Nintendo's "new" handheld (thus killing the GBA).
This trend seems to be more immediate in Japan though, PS1 had similar almost immediate dropoff (and it even had the PSone redsign to help that a bit). In the west I think it's likely that GBA will continue pushing huge numbers for a bit longer (again, like PSone).

jarrod

Banned
Spazbiohaz said:
Not to sound like a fan boy. But Feel the Magic is one of the best games I have played this year. It really uses inovation in a good way. And at the moment it's the only DS game that is good. Well I have not played Zoo Keeper yet but I'm sure it will not top it.
He's not speaking towrds percieved quality of the DS & PSP 3rd party games, but rather brand appeal. Comparing Dynasty Warriors and Ridge Racers to Zoo Keeper and Feel the Magic to prove one platform's 3rd party publisher sales viability is inherently disingenious. It's comparatively like using sales of Hot Shots Golf versus One-Line Puzzle or Jam with the Band to do the same for 1st party games, there's a world of difference when it comes to the IPs being compared. The only "fair" comparison would be games across both platforms (as in Puyo Fever).

Mrbob

The fair comparison is comparing hard numbers of data available now on both platforms and that is what I did. If Dynasty Warriors DS outsells Dynasty Warriors PSP (It won't) then you can use that as a retort. Ridge Racer DS will fall short of Ridge Racers sales. The fact of the matter is that there are two 3rd party PSP games over 200K sold on an 800K userbase while there isn't even one Nintendo DS 3rd party game over 100K sold on a 1.5 million userbase. Like I mentioned before, the DS will be great for Nintendos bottom line because they sell a ton of software on their own hardware. As for how good it is for 3rd parties I'm still skeptical.

CVXFREAK said:
2 PS2 Gran Turismo 4 SCE 63,584 843,340

Quick question.

How is GT4 performing relative to GT3? My guess is not so well. That's what Sony gets for jerking this title back and forth so many times with so many excuses that many people probably said " to hell with it".

AniHawk

sonycowboy said:
Quick question.

How is GT4 performing relative to GT3? My guess is not so well. That's what Sony gets for jerking this title back and forth so many times with so many excuses that many people probably said " to hell with it".

It'll probably do better in the US. We already have over 50 preorders for the game.

SantaC

sonycowboy said:
Quick question.

GT3 is around 1.5 million in Japan and 3.5 in the US I think.

Mrbob said:
The fair comparison is comparing hard numbers of data available now on both platforms and that is what I did. If Dynasty Warriors DS outsells Dynasty Warriors PSP (It won't) then you can use that as a retort. Ridge Racer DS will fall short of Ridge Racers sales. The fact of the matter is that there are two 3rd party PSP games over 200K sold on an 800K userbase while there isn't even one Nintendo DS 3rd party game over 100K sold on a 1.5 million userbase. Like I mentioned before, the DS will be great for Nintendos bottom line because they sell a ton of software on their own hardware. As for how good it is for 3rd parties I'm still skeptical.

Are there any AAA 3rd party titles on the DS yet?

sonycowboy said:
Quick question.

As of late June of 2001 in Japan GT3 passed 1m units sold. It'd been out for 2 months by then. So GT4 seems to be on a similar track.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
The fair comparison is comparing hard numbers of data available now on both platforms and that is what I did.
So where was your Puyo Puyo Fever comparison? You really think comparing Dynasty Warriors to Zoo Keeper directly is "fair"?

Mrbob said:
If Dynasty Warriors DS outsells Dynasty Warriors PSP (It won't) then you can use that as a retort. Ridge Racer DS will fall short of Ridge Racers sales.
I doubt either will, but then neither is exactly the same game with the same promotion (RRDS isn't even getting a JP release) and able to ride the launch push. It'd be a much better comparison than what you've bothered with however.

And again, why do I have to wait for Dynasty Warriors DS, Puyo Fever already proves the point? Proportional to installed base, the game sold almost the same on both machines actually.

Mrbob said:
The fact of the matter is that there are two 3rd party PSP games over 200K sold on an 800K userbase while there isn't even one Nintendo DS 3rd party game over 100K sold on a 1.5 million userbase.
And the fact of the matter is, those 2 games come from million selling brands, while DS has yet to recieve such a 3rd party game. When Rockman.EXE, Yu-Gi-OH! and Final Fantasy start releasing, then you can probably make that comparison. Otherwise we can intuit what, than proven PS2 million sellers can expect to pass 200k on PSP and might or might not on DS? That should be relevant to maybe 3 or 4 Japanese publishers. :/

Mrbob said:
As for how good it is for 3rd parties I'm still skeptical.
I'd imagine it'll be like GBA most likely. Same goes for PSP though, neither platform really looks to buck the trend as hoped.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Pillars.jpg

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
As of late June of 2001 in Japan GT3 passed 1m units sold. It'd been out for 2 months by then. So GT4 seems to be on a similar track.
But GT3 was a summer release (sold 500k first week iirc), while GT4 has the extra advantage of a holiday push. I doubt it catches GT3's total, GT3 just had a lot more going for it being the next gen GT on a relatively starved new PS2 base. Meanwhile GT4's had a prologue edition to lessen impact, a mature crowded marketplace and the promoted online component removed. It's going to be like GT1 vs GT2 again.

Pimpwerx

GT4's problem is that it's the first or second GT game to hit Japan since GT3. We've only had one GT game on the PS2. Japan had GT3, GT3:Concept(?), GT4:prologue and now GT4. Not sure how many Concept games there were, or how many other GT4 versions. If you add in Prologue, GT4 is selling well. Otherwise, on it's own, it has little chance of catching GT3 in Japan. In the US and EU, I still think it will surpass GT3. Bigger userbase, and it's really the biggest racer released since GT3. No real competition. PEACE.

GDGF

Soothsayer
border said:
Hmmmm.....so how many people get banned if this trend continues next week?

I'm a man of my word. One week ban if this happens next week!

(And if Yoshi let's me down I shall find a way to kick his little green ass)

GDGF

Soothsayer
CVXFREAK said:
Anyone who initiates betting an account or does so is, well, not that bright.

It's just childish and stupid.

Not really. I dig my time here at GAF and all, but a one week ban is nothing in the great scheme of things. I do have a life outside the forum.

(surprised? :))

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Society said:
Can someone ban everyone on the first page? Popcorn posts and *runs* should be bannable offensives.
ToS: Section III Moderation Policy said:
E. No posts should be made regarding your opinion of another user's actions or behavior. You may not discuss the rules and regulations of this board on the forum. Any and all discussions regarding these matters should be discussed by EMAIL ONLY.

Oh... wait.... I guess I'm doing that right now, aren't I? :p

btrboyev

and how many 1st party titles are out on PSP? 2? Compared to all the rest which are 3rd. Of course 3rd party sales are going to be higher.

Odnetnin

Banned
Society said:
Can someone ban everyone on the first page? Popcorn posts and *runs* should be bannable offensives.

why don't you contribute to the topic than post this rubbish? Asking for bans is more banworthy than a few catchphrase imo. There's mods to decide what to do.

Imo Popcorn + run is a GAF trademark anyhow. Back to my regular broadcast.

Broshnat

Banned
Odnetnin said:
why don't you contribute to the topic than post this rubbish? Asking for bans is more banworthy than a few catchphrase imo. There's mods to decide what to do.

Agreed. wtf is the point?????

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'm not as nuts and into this kind of stuff as the rest of you guys but what's the big deal? o.o? I mean deep down we all know this would happen at least once ya know? One week does not a trend make. Chiilllll out sillys!

Broshnat

Banned
Wow, this happened a lot sooner than I thought it would.

To be honest, I've been thinking the DS was a bad idea ever since it was announced. I like the concept of a touch screen but two screens is a bit much and the specs aren't up to snuff. They should have just stuck with the GBA until a suitable (i.e. more powerful) replacement could have been produced.

What's happening is people aren't buying the GBA because the DS is out and its effectively Nintendo's "new" handheld (thus killing the GBA). But then when they go to buy the DS and compare it with the PSP they look at the PSP's specs and multi-media functions and it becomes a no brainer for many of them.

If Nintendo would have stuck with the GBA they would have been able to compete better because it would be a low cost alternative to the PSP. They can't do that now though because with the DS it has become evident that they are slowly abandoning the GBA hardware so no one wants one anymore.

It's sad really. I'm surprised that none of the people in a position of authority at Nintendo saw this coming. Now they are stuck between a rock and a hardplace and they have no one to blame but themselves. Didn't they learn anything from Sega's 32X fiasco?

Tabris said:
Do you hear it?

That's the sound of half the posters in any DS vs PSP sales arguement being OWNED.

DCharlie said:
it's obviously due to the massive DS shortages!!!

erm... no wait....

soundwave05 said:
I think from here on out, PSP will regularily be the no.1 portable in Japan.

DS will be able to overtake it on certain weeks due to certain titles being released, but regularily it'll be PSP at no.1.

Game Boy Next better be something really good.

Odnetnin

Banned
Well... I think the forums just a tad excited because

"insert halo2 "this day speech""

I consider this PSP/DS race to be a long one - you'd need at least 6 months or so to see how they fare in both markets - I do think that once production on software ramps up; it'll be interesting to see how both fare at full steam. RIght not; I'd go as far to argue that the DS has the weaker launch - in the us particularly; I'd say its a goddamn drought. As for PSP; I have to say; it feels as though a lot of the units are going overseas and we know its gamesales are comparable to DS (with regards to attach rate) - We'll see what happens next week I guess (Yoshi is selling yah?) should be interesting.

DCharlie

Banned
"Well DS shipments drop for a week or two as PSP shipments finally start to reach decent amounts, and suddenly people are amazed or something that PSP can outsell DS but 10k for a week.

Fucking weird...."

Christ.... are you dense?

There are still infinitely more DS's on the streets of Tokyo than there are PSPs.
Jesus christ.

Just for the record, i think the PSP and DS can coexist. I don't have a vested interest in either of them winning - all i care about is more games. I just find your take on the situation over here overly defensive to the Nintendo side and about as far removed from the reality as it could possibly be.

jiggle

Time for my favorite quote of the year:

Broshnat said:
Well it's not the sales or the fact it's Sony and Nintendo or whatever that things get nasty, it's certain posters' attitudes and how they go about "supporting" their point that gets other peoples' backs up.

Human nature unfortunately...

:lol :lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Bros how are you managing to be such an ass and not get banned? Who you f*ckin? ;)

DCharlie

Banned
"Small dick"

"What the hell is goin on here- who has hacked my account?
This is not funny...
Mods, please!"

m(_ _)m <--- too busy checking out my small cock

Kon Tiki

Banned
Odnetnin said:

People do not know how retarded they look till someone makes an example out of them. Talking about video games sales like sports stats is bad enough, let alone have catchphrases for video games sales.

Odnetnin

Banned
Society said:
People do not know how retarded they look till someone makes an example out of them. Talking about video games sales like sports stats is bad enough, let alone have catchphrases for video games sales.

says the guy who posts on a video game message board on the internet.

Society said:

At least I get to interact with Video-Games. By buying certain games, and seeing the numbers, I can influence, and determine the likelihood of a sequel. I can't really get much enjoyment over analyzing sports stats, since I have no control over anything that happens.

Odnetnin

Banned
Broshnat said:
This ain't funny.

so what happened Broshnat... was your account really hacked? I noticed it pretty much right away and thought maybe you'd snapped because you got sick of arguing on the board and was hoping to get banned. Was it your brother or someone in your house? Either way. it was pretty funny

Odnetnin

Banned
sohka88 said:
So you believe his account was hacked? :lol

he started posting the same tiny dick comment in all the threads- Including the RE4 one which nearly got him blasted from me. SACRILIGEOUS. Then I dunno... Broshnat came back and edited all his posts. It made no sense. More than 3/4 of the front page thread had that small dick comment. It was sort of funny :lol

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Im not at all surprised the PSP has sold more than DS, I expect this to continue for a while longer and hopefully it will if all these insults and typical GAF attitude carries on.

What i dont undersatnd is why people insult each other over Video game sale numbers, but I wont complain, its a good source of comedy.

Broshnat

Banned
Odnetnin said:
he started posting the same tiny dick comment in all the threads- Including the RE4 one which nearly got him blasted from me. SACRILIGEOUS. Then I dunno... Broshnat came back and edited all his posts. It made no sense. More than 3/4 of the front page thread had that small dick comment. It was sort of funny :lol

Dunno who they hell did it, but I wasn't amused at all.

Famitsu have released the actual sales figures for week 10/01-16/01/2005, seems like the DS wasn't beaten after all

from www.gamefront.de

Current hardware sales figures from Japan

29.01.05 - The Famitsu published the current hardware sales figures for Japan. The data refer to the period of 10.01.-16.01.05.

Console Sold units (St.) Previous week Change 2005 total *
PlayStation 2 74.306 120.505 - 46.199 194.811
Nintendo DS 58.988 132.117 - 73.129 191.105
PSP 57.383 55.358 + 2.025 112.741
Game Boy Advance FR 27.311 63.732 - 36.421 91.043
Gamecube 7.117 26.773 - 19.656 33.890
Game Boy Advance 714 1.209 - 495 1.923
Xbox 454 838 - 384 1.292

Top Bottom