• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Oct 19-25, 2009

cvxfreak

I think Hikari no Senshi would have done better if we weren't getting half a dozen FF games in the next few weeks.

The next FF game comes out in 2 days. :lol

Since Nintendo already said that Sin & Punishment 2 is coming to the US, especially after two conferences this year, I think it's safe to say we'll get it. After all, the second game was made because foreign audiences bought the Virtual Console version like fiends.

However, if for some reason it gets canned I guess I can always import. (Like I did Disaster & Another Code R from Europe!)

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
I think Hikari no Senshi would have done better if we weren't getting half a dozen FF games in the next few weeks.

The next FF game comes out in 2 days. :lol

And the next one is 11 days after that! With the next one a month after that! :lol

I also think that between the SaGa 2 remake being released last month and Strange Journey being released this month, the RPG fanbase on the DS have enough to keep themselves busy.

Nirolak said:
Or do they publicly release the Top 30 eventually? I know we get the Top 500s yearly, which I assume aren't leaks.
They do eventually release the Top 30, though it's about a week behind the leaks. The Top 500 isn't exactly a leak, but they only release them in book form which we have to wait to be scanned/transcribed by fellow sales nerds.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 254 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 198.1 weeks (December 15, 2003), where DS was at 105.4 weeks (December 6, 2006), and where GBA was at 174.8 weeks (Juuly 24, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 202 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 20.4 weeks (January 30, 2002), where PS3 was at 42.2 weeks (August 27, 2007), and where Wii was at 6.1 weeks (January 8, 2007).

PS3 comparisons: After 154 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 56.8 weeks (March 30, 2001), where PSP was at 84.7 weeks (July 21, 2006), where GCN was at 176.5 weeks (January 26, 2005), and where Wii was at 47.9 weeks (October 28, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 151 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 104.2 weeks (March 17, 2003), where DS was at 79.9 weeks (June 10, 2006), where PS2 was at 125.0 weeks (July 21, 2002), and where PSP was at 173.5 weeks (April 3, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 51 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 73.1 weeks (July 5, 2004) and where DSL was at 24.6 weeks (August 17, 2006).

Based on this week's Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 59.7 / 40.3 bring total shares to 68.4 / 31.6. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 459.7 weeks (August 17, 2018).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 13.0 / 87.0 bring total shares to 23.7 / 76.3. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 571.1 weeks (October 5, 2020).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 53.6 / 46.4 bring total shares to 30.0 / 70.0. At this week's rates, PS3 would catch up to Wii in 1,212.6 weeks (January 21, 2033). If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 164.2 weeks (December 18, 2012).

Week over week, Nintendo systems are slightly down, Sony systems are slightly less down, and X360 is slightly up.
X360

Through the first forty-three weeks of the year, overall sales are down. However, the systems can be split into camps of 3 up and 3 down. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -49.9%
DSL+DSi: +18.6%
PS2: -55.1%
PS3: +53.3%
PSP: -45.2%
X360: +44.7%

Home hardware: -24.7%
Portable hardware: -16.5%

Nintendo hardware: -14.2%
Sony hardware: -29.6%

Sum of all hardware: -19.8%

Last year:

This year:

Note that DSi this year is now slightly beating DSL from last year, so this year's DSL sales basically represent the year-over-year increase for DS.

fanboi

Banned
Is it to soon to post Jesus rises and return of the king pictures regarding the PS3 sales?

Because I'm on the fence on doing it.

fanboi

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Ridiculous.

Depends, do you want to get banned?

I like livin on the edge.

Lets wait for next weeks number.

*runs*

EDIT: But now I saw the Q2 report. See if I can find some funny picture for that thread.

cvxfreak

Oooh... we finally have a solid shipment number for MH3 straight from Capcom:

Capcom's also expecting 800,000 worldwide for Darkside Chronicles this fiscal year. That's a good number to aim for especially since it won't be a holiday title in Japan.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
What was the initial shipment of Strange Journey actually? Assuming it doesn't get a second shipment here that's looking like a good measure of its final LTD.

Around 110k. If that's the final LTD, the game is pretty much a failure.

duckroll

Here are the initial shipment figures for some of this week's released based on the sell through rates posted above.

4WoL = 185k

Bayonetta
PS3 = 163k
360 = 58k

Tekken 6
PS3 = 153k (regular), 8.8k (collector's box)
360 = 48k (regular), 4k (collector's box)

S&P2 = 19k

batbeg

I actually feel pretty happy with my estimates now, except for 360 Bayonetta, which I clearly overshot as my prediction is 20k over the shipped amount :lol

AniHawk

Bayonetta winning the day/week is pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, I get this sinking feeling that it might only sell this well in Japan. That is, unless, 360 owners pick up the slack by a lot next year.

AniHawk

Regulus Tera said:
Well, at least I'll be able to import it for cheap if NoA cancels it.

You sure about that? The first S&P still goes for over $40 on ebay and people can buy it for $12 on the Wii.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
AniHawk said:
You sure about that? The first S&P still goes for over $40 on ebay and people can buy it for $12 on the Wii.
$40 isn't really expensive.

A 19K print run is extremely low though. If the localization would happen to get canned (I don't think it will), then S&P2 probably wouldn't stay cheap for long.

duckroll

AniHawk said:

The original S&P also sold more in a week than the entire initial shipment of S&P2. :lol

Tenbatsu

cvxfreak said:
Tenbatsu, MH3 lives on in Famitsu!!! Only a sales decline of like 200 copies week over week. :lol
火事場力+2 = 体力が最大値の40%以下になった時、防御力増加量が60から90に増加する

[WII] Sin and Punishment 2 (Nintendo) - 5.6k
Guess its the same 5K Treasure fans who has been supporting them all along.

Capcom Attributes Strong Fiscal Performance to Monster Hunter 3
Capcom's sales and earnings are up once again, and the Osaka gaming giant attributes the success to strong sales of Wii's Monster Hunter 3.

An earnings statement issued by Capcom today shows sales for the first half of the fiscal year (April 1 through September 30) at 38,892 million yen, up 24.5% over the same period the year prior. Operating profit is also up 33.1% to 5,476 million yen.

According to the company, the primary reason for the increased sales and earnings was Monster Hunter 3, which it noted becamse the first Wii third party game to reach a million units domestically. It also made note of strong repeat sales performance for Resident Evil 5 and Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, both of which were released in previous terms.

The numbers are even more impressive looking just at the company's consumer games business. Sales for the six month period were up 68.3% over the same period last year to 16,486 million yen. Profits were up 100.7% to 3,637 million yen.

Other franchises contributing to the company's success include DS's Gyakuten Kenji (Ace Attorney Investigations) and PSP's Sengoku Basara Battle Heroes.

The company did point to some areas of concern in its performance though. Outside of Japan, it noted sales trouble for Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP) and Bionic Commando (Xbox 360, PS3). It also noted that its multiplatform Dark Void title has slipped to the latter half of the year.

For the full year ending March 2010, Capcom expects sales of 95,000 million yen and operating profits of 15,500 million yen.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/10/29/capcom_earnings/

MH3G incoming!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
duckroll said:
The original S&P also sold more in a week than the entire initial shipment of S&P2. :lol

How the fuck does a Wii sequel to one of the worst-selling N64 Nintendo-published games sell worse than the original is mindblowing.

AniHawk

Sixfortyfive said:
$40 isn't really expensive.

The fact that it sells for over $40 ($60+ is the average "Buy now" asking price over there) 9 years after its release, despite being readily available to anyone that can go online with a Wii says something.

duckroll

AniHawk said:
The fact that it sells for over $40 ($60+ is the average "Buy now" asking price over there) 9 years after its release, despite being readily available to anyone that can go online with a Wii says something.

It only says that the original was limited in production and hence retained its collection value over the years. It does not indicate at all that the same will apply to the sequel.

AniHawk

duckroll said:
It only says that the original was limited in production and hence retained its collection value over the years. It does not indicate at all that the same will apply to the sequel.

Well if NoA cancels it (which would probably mean no NoE release either), it looks like there will be even fewer S&P2s in the world.

S&P is not so overpriced in Japan, i found a copy for 20$ many times in the latest years.
I could also affirm the price has been going down year after year, the first time i went in Japan (2003) it was about 4500-5000yen, now it's around 3000-3500yen (but i think you can find cheaper ones on Yahoo! Auction site)

note : actually yen / euro exchange is the same value as it was in 2003 (around 135yen for 1 euro)

Regulus Tera said:
How do the sales of Disaster, Another Code R, and Captain Rainbow compare?
I hope you meant LTD and week 1 sales (I don't know where you would find day 1 sales).
Using garaph.info (so, Famitsu numbers):
Code:
10,070   Another code R (only on charts for 1 week therefore week 1=LTD))
22,682   Captain Rainbow (week 1 6,361)
27,896   Disaster: Day of Crisis (week 1 12,768)
I did not to expect to see Disaster as being the highest selling of those 3.

At least it'll do better than Captain Rainbow in week 1 but is that good enough for NOE?

onken

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (10/30)

[PS3] Bayonetta (Sega) - 93k
[360] Bayonetta (Sega) - 45k
[PS3] Tekken 6 (Bandai Namco Games) - 79k
[360] Tekken 6 (Bandai Namco Games) - 22k
[NDS] Hikaru no 4 Senshi: Final Fantasy Gaiden (Square Enix) - 85k
[WII] Super Robot Taisen Neo (Bandai Namco Games) - 27k
[WII] Sin and Punishment 2 (Nintendo) - 5.6k
[NDS] Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (CyberFront) - 5.1k
[NDS] Umihara Kawase Shun: Second Edition Kanzenhan (Genterprise) - 4.2k
[PSP] Elminage II: Sousei no Megami to Unmei no Daichi (Starfish SD) - 5.1k
[PSP] Kenka Banchou Portable (Spike) - 2.2k

Edit: Source is Sinobi

Damn I thought 360 Tekken would be higher and Bayonetta would be lower.

e~ good PS3 hardware hold again

Regulus Tera said:
How the fuck does a Wii sequel to one of the worst-selling N64 Nintendo-published games sell worse than the original is mindblowing.

A real shame for Treasure (or really, Nintendo).

They should have just put the game out on 360 with numbers like these.

I also have to say a big part of this was the absolute minimal (nearly zero) marketing campaign from Nintendo, where unless you were in a game shop you didn't see much for the game (can't speak for TV since I don't watch it). Given that Nintendo is publishing, I expected much more of a push. Reading the talk with Iwata it seemed they were putting a lot of expectations into the in-store kiosks which I think are a really weak way of attracting customers. And even if it were a strong method, put the damn demo in a full month before the game's out, not two weeks. Sheesh.

If NoA passes on this just because of these numbers that would be a damn shame. If that happens I really hope a 3rd party publisher picks it up.

duckroll

adversesolutions said:
If NoA passes on this just because of these numbers that would be a damn shame. If that happens I really hope a 3rd party publisher picks it up.

Yeah, like how third parties picked up Soma Bringer, ASH, Fatal Frame 4, etc. Oh wait.... :lol

AniHawk

I thought the reason S&P2 got off the ground in the first place was thanks to strong North American sales of the downloadable first game.

Those Sin and Punishment 2 numbers are depressing. This had better not affect its localization plans.

AniHawk said:
I thought the reason S&P2 got off the ground in the first place was thanks to strong North American sales of the downloadable first game.
USA! USA! USA!

duckroll

AniHawk said:

If you really believe that, then why would you also believe that Japanese sales have any impact at all on the game being released in the US? It just makes no sense!

AniHawk

duckroll said:
If you really believe that, then why would you also believe that Japanese sales have any impact at all on the game being released in the US? It just makes no sense!
What? I didn't. I was arguing that it would probably take a very long time for the price to drop to where it would be cheap to import given how the previous game did.

Sixfortyfive said:
The Wii Remote makes this game.

It was built originally for the classic controller. I would rather see Treasure enjoying success than suffering in a third party hell for the sake of a slightly different play experience.

Ehhh
Pretty much every impression about S&P2 sez Wii remote is the way to go.

As an aside S&P2 likely could have bombed just as badly on the 360. It's an extremely niche genre(I think in the past decade there have been less than 10 similar games..probably less than 5 even). I remember Xbox owners doing a hell of a job supporting PD Orta.

onken

adversesolutions said:
A real shame for Treasure (or really, Nintendo).

They should have just put the game out on 360 with numbers like these.

Yeah increasing development costs would have been a great idea.

Top Bottom