• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 28 - Oct 4

Road

Sinobi numbers:

01. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Pokemon) - 183,000 / 2,520,000
02. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 140,000 / 459,000
03. [NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlus) - 91,000 / NEW
04. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 76,000 / 373,000
05. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 64,000 / 1,288,000
06. [PSP] Gran Turismo (SCE) - 39,000 / 183,000
07. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 26,000 / 124,000
08. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
09. [PSP] Macross Ultimate Frontier (Bandai Namco Games)
10. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix)

[NDS] Blue Dragon: Ikai no Kyojuu (Bandai Namco Games) - 10,000 / NEW
[WII] Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga (Marvelous Entertainment) - 4,700 / NEW
[PS3] White Knight Chronicles: EX Edition (SCE) - 4,500 / NEW
[PSP] Kurogane no Linebarrels (Hudson) - 3,900 / NEW

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
schuelma said:
Da Triple

I'd certainly expect bigger falls for all home hardware. Wouldn't so easily say that ps3 should beat wii.

This might be a good test-week for PS3 in terms of 'normal' non-special sales - no notable new releases, no lingering strong software interest from recent releases, several weeks out from the price drop etc. At least as far as the rest of the year goes.

Strong second week for Wii Fit Plus and Inazuma, great opening for SMT: SJ and amazing legs for Tomodachi and Pokemon.

Now for the hardware...

Road said:
Sinobi numbers:

04. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 76,000 / 373,000

Considering that the first shipment is estimated at about 113 000 that's pretty amazing. 80.5% sell-through ratio! It's also entirely possible that M-C has a different shipment number. We'll see I guess when the numbers come in properly.

DQIX just keeps on trucking. Will it hit four million this week or next?

FIND OUT.

SAME MEDIA-CREATE TIME, SAME MEDIA-CREATE THREAD!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Given Wii Fit Plus' increase from its first day I expected higher. Wonder if the standalone is supply constrained a bit..

Somnid

If PS3 isn't making at least one spot in the top 10 then one wonders how long it'll take the sales to be back in the toilet and what Sony does then.

schuelma

Somnid said:
If PS3 isn't making at least one spot in the top 10 then one wonders how long it'll take the sales to be back in the toilet and what Sony does then.

To be fair to good old PS3, what would have been expected to be in the top 10 this week?

Somnid

schuelma said:
To be fair to good old PS3, what would have been expected to be in the top 10 this week?

That's the thing, Sony has to figure this out because that price drop can only do so much. When your top game sold less than 5k for the week it's troubling.

duckroll

Road said:
Sinobi numbers:

[NDS] Blue Dragon: Ikai no Kyojuu (Bandai Namco Games) - 10,000 / NEW
[PS3] White Knight Chronicles: EX Edition (SCE) - 4,500 / NEW
[PSP] Kurogane no Linebarrels (Hudson) - 3,900 / NEW

Wow. I'm so disappointed. :(

Dragona Akehi said:
Considering that the first shipment is estimated at about 113 000 that's pretty amazing. 80.5% sell-through ratio! It's also entirely possible that M-C has a different shipment number. We'll see I guess when the numbers come in properly.

That's not amazing at all. 80% sell through is pretty crappy for a game like this. Nothing to be proud of at all really.

schuelma

Somnid said:
That's the thing, Sony has to figure this out because that price drop can only do so much. When your top game sold less than 5k for the week it's troubling.

I think we can all agree that this new momentum isn't being fueled by huge software or anything.

Serenity

Somnid said:

But games are scheduled to come out in the coming weeks. And where are you getting the best selling game for the Ps3 this week only sold 5k?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Somnid said:

I doubt interest will dwindle to pre-pricedrop levels (aka 'the toilet') while FFXIII looms...for a period before and after FFXIII at least.

Longer term, we'll see. I think a lot depends how much this holiday changes the publishing landscape for Japanese games on PS3. If we see things spark up a bit that might produce a regular enough flow of content to keep the sales-mark generally, if maybe not exclusively, higher than it was pre-pricedrop.

schuelma

gofreak said:
I think a lot depends how much this holiday changes the publishing landscape for Japanese games on PS3. If we see things spark up a bit that might produce a regular enough flow of content to keep the sales-mark generally, if maybe not exclusively, higher than it was pre-pricedrop.

Yeah but even if we see great holiday numbers and publishers take notice, its not like we're going to be getting a ton of content starting next February- its not like games can come out right away even if sales stay steady.

(this applies to any hypothetical Wii resurgence as well)

gofreak said:
I doubt interest will dwindle to pre-pricedrop levels (aka 'the toilet') while FFXIII looms...for a period before and after FFXIII at least.

Longer term, we'll see. I think a lot depends how much this holiday changes the publishing landscape for Japanese games on PS3. If we see things spark up a bit that might produce a regular enough flow of content to keep the sales-mark generally, if maybe not exclusively, higher than it was pre-pricedrop.

I disagree. We rarely see swells in anticipation for a game. I think it will steadily decrease, followed by a huge spike on release of 13, followed by a steady decrease.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
schuelma said:
Yeah but even if we see great holiday numbers and publishers take notice, its not like we're going to be getting a ton of content starting next February- its not like games can come out right away even if sales stay steady.

(this applies to any hypothetical Wii resurgence as well)

Of course, there'd be a lag...if Sony (and other pubs) were smart they'd be prepping content to hit PS3 to take advantage of these bigger bumps and userbase growth spurts (sort of like they did with PSP, selling devs on the benefit of relooking at PSP dev based on PSP Go et al). With the way japanese pubs love to announce games the week before they're released nowadays, it's hard to say if pubs have hopped on board early in anticipation of a better market, but if not, there would indeed be a lag Sony would have to deal with.

If they could keep a flow of smaller and medium releases similar to that through the rest of this year going through q1/q2, with the occasional bigger game like GT, they may get on well enough. We'll see I guess. A lot perhaps depends how big or small a halo effect ff has into the new year.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I disagree. We rarely see swells in anticipation for a game. I think it will steadily decrease, followed by a huge spike on release of 13, followed by a steady decrease.

I'm not suggesting growth ahead of FF purely because of FF, per se, just that it may help keep sales out of that early teens/single figures toilet, might help slow the decrease somewhat.

schuelma

gofreak said:
We'll see I guess. A lot perhaps depends how big or small a halo effect ff has into the new year.

I 've been wrong of the PS3 a lot lately, so who knows, but FF13 doesn't strike me as a title that is going to have the legs to provide any halo effect.

onken

Somnid said:

Uh we don't know the numbers for 8 - 50 yet.

cvxfreak

PS2 hardware sales when FFX was released:

156,471 -> 103,263 (Hot Shots Golf 3) -> 75,283 -> 138,317 -> 60,019 (DMC)

Interestingly, FFX was only number one once. I can see FFXIII being number one only one time as well because of NSMB Wii.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:
That's not amazing at all. 80% sell through is pretty crappy for a game like this. Nothing to be proud of at all really.

I don't view it as amazing, but 80% first week sell through, even for a decently frontloaded game, is pretty brisk. You're not going to break 90% before having spot shortages.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
schuelma said:
I 've been wrong of the PS3 a lot lately, so who knows, but FF13 doesn't strike me as a title that is going to have the legs to provide any halo effect.

I don't know either, but I'm trying to consider 'keeping-it-out-of-the-toilet' events.

Slim+Pricedrop was one event that's had a probably better than expected effect in that regard. The decline has been pretty prolonged and gradual.

I'm not necessarily saying FF will have a similar curve, but it should be another big bump for the PS3 to fall back from. FF is typically very front loaded, but every bump should help some to keep it from that range for longer, even if we're just talking about a few weeks. It's another few weeks closer to another (albeit smaller) bump from GT5 perhaps. Every little helps...

schuelma

gofreak said:
It's another few weeks closer to another (albeit smaller) bump from GT5 perhaps. Every little helps...

PS3 could have a good Spring if GT5 actually hits in March, with Yakuza 4 probably around the same time.

RJT

Dragona Akehi said:

DQIX just keeps on trucking. Will it hit four million this week or next?

FIND OUT.

SAME MEDIA-CREATE TIME, SAME MEDIA-CREATE THREAD!
Actually, it will be a new media-create thread...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Good start for SJ, it's definitely not bad. Maybe a bit disappointing, I wish it had a stronger weekend, it'll probably struggle to get to 200k now. :\

Great second week for Inazuma 2, I didn't expect Love Plus to have legs too, and it's nice to see DQIX is hanging in there.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
I don't view it as amazing, but 80% first week sell through, even for a decently frontloaded game, is pretty brisk. You're not going to break 90% before having spot shortages.

But that's my entire point though. For a game like SJ, actually hitting shortages would be the ideal target. We're not talking about a 200k shipment here, but a relatively conservative 110-120k shipment. Selling 91k certainly isn't BAD, but it's pretty disappointing from the first day figure, because we're looking at a low take up rate over the weekend, which also indicates that there isn't a lot of active demand outside of just pre-orders.

Dragona Akehi said:
It also depends on what M-C says the shipment was. 80% is good.

Nah, it doesn't depend on anything. I fully expected SJ to sell over 100k for the first week, failing to do so means it will likely struggle to hit 200k, and it also means there is a chance that Persona PSP will end up selling better than SJ. Try and convince me that's a good thing. :p

Somnid

schuelma said:
I think we can all agree that this new momentum isn't being fueled by huge software or anything.

Which is why I can't imagine it'll last unless Final Fantasy 13 really is Sony's big break. PS3 didn't have a big userbase and was prohibitavely expensive, so of course it would help more than it did Wii which is already highly saturated in the market and not overly expensive. The aternative is people buying it for Blu-ray, which would create another PSP, of a selling system that can't push software. Not desirable but not terrible if it finds its Monster Hunter.

Serenity said:
But games are scheduled to come out in the coming weeks. And where are you getting the best selling game for the Ps3 this week only sold 5k?

I read that a little wrong. White Knight EX did 4.5k according to Shinobi and was the big PS3 release for this period unless I'm mistaken, I suppose Sigma might still do better. Eitherway I'd look at not having a place in the top 10 as a sign of low software sales. Certainly Sony needs those upcoming games.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
cvxfreak said:
PS2 hardware sales when FFX was released:

156,471 -> 103,263 (Hot Shots Golf 3) -> 75,283 -> 138,317 -> 60,019 (DMC)

Interestingly, FFX was only number one once. I can see FFXIII being number one only one time as well because of NSMB Wii.

I'm not so sure, Freak. Look at the games FFX was going up against? With the PS3 price drop I really think FFXIII has the potential to stay in the top for more than a week. I just don't see Wii NSMB doing what NSMBDS did.

ethelred

I'm moderately disappointed that Strange Journey didn't hit over 100k for its first week, as that was what I had expected it to do based on the first day numbers. It's a bit surprising. I don't think it's disastrous for the game, though, and I don't think it means the game won't ultimately achieve the things I feel it's necessary to achieve... but we'll see.

I think there's a very outside chance it'll still make it to 200k LTD, but it's more likely to land just below that, say 185-190k. In the final tally, that's... not outstanding, but still good. About halfway between EO2 and Nocturne.

schuelma

I don't like this trend of not getting the full Famitsu leak until late Wednesday night.

ccbfan

Wow Marvelous really can't catch a break with the Wii.

Anyone know how does this compare to other Valhalla Knights?

Poor Marvelous.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Vilix said:
I'm not so sure, Freak. Look at the games FFX was going up against? With the PS3 price drop I really think FFXIII has the potential to stay in the top for more than a week. I just don't see Wii NSMB doing what NSMBDS did.
Why don't you tell us your predictions about First week/LTD for each game so that we know where you base that theory? And even if FFXIII manages to sell more than NSMB Wii the week after its launch (it won't) it will be outsold by Pokemon and maybe Zelda. So only one week in the top for FFXIII.

I'm also disappointed with SMT: Strange Journey.

duckroll

Durante said:
Valhalla Knights 2 sold 35k first week and 89k LTD, the first one did 14k/64k.

Obviously no one wants MMV games on the Wii. It's a good thing they're already seriously reconsidering their choice of platform. :)

Its not that 80% is disappointing but that as of its first day it had done 63% already, and considering no further shipments in the weekend, days 2, 3 and 4 only made it increase to 80%. 91k first week to 71k first day is a poor 1,28 ratio for the weekend.

Look at the first day analysis...
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlus) - 71,000 (63%)
Niiiice. Excellent first day and good sell through, hopefully it has a second in the weekend because I think its locked for a >100k first week and the first shipment is 113k.
Sinobi first day comparisons for Atlus on DS:
2007 Month 01: DS "Etrian Odyssey" - 22k
2008 Month 02: DS "Etrian Odyssey Ⅱ" - 52k
2009 Month 01: DS "Devil Survivor" - 35k
2009 Month 10: DS "Shin Megami Tensei: STRANGE JOURNEY" - 71k
Btw, Persona PSP did 65k but it was a 2-day number.
It was way ahead of the other DS titles, and above Persona PSP despite being a 2 day figure. But now with the first week data its closer:
2007 Month 01: DS "Etrian Odyssey" - 32k
2008 Month 02: DS "Etrian Odyssey Ⅱ" - 86k
2009 Month 01: DS "Devil Survivor" - 57k
2009 Month 10: DS "Shin Megami Tensei: STRANGE JOURNEY" - 91k
And it falls behind Persona PSP 95k opening week.

I would still say its a good start, but its certainly not stellar like the first day was telling.

ccbfan said:
Wow Marvelous really can't catch a break with the Wii.

Anyone know how does this compare to other Valhalla Knights?

Poor Marvelous.
First week:
PSP Valhalla Knights did 14k
PSP Valhalla Knights 2 did 35k
PSP Valhalla Knights 2 Battle Stance did 14k
So no, 4700 isn't comparing well at all.

PD: Tri-Crescendo latest bomb also had a piss poor weekend, from 7.5k to 10k. Can't catch a break...

DMeisterJ said:
Uncharted will do a 60k first week with 100 lifetime.
I can't even begin to imagine Uncharted having a 60k first week. There's like, zero marketing here for it, and absolutely no buzz at all. 20k would be a surprise at this point.

schuelma

The first Uncharted's first week was 17K, LTD of 38K.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
schuelma said:
The first Uncharted's first week was 17K, LTD of 38K.
According to Media Create it's 16.702 / 62.664. Anyone expecting 100K LTD for Uncharted 2 better be ready for big disappointment.

Top Bottom