• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2013 (Dec 31 - Jan 06)

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Low Wii U sales are no reason to worry, it doesn't "real launch" until next Christmas anyway. The 3DS was doomed too. "And now lol"

guek

Banned
Low Wii U sales are no reason to worry, it doesn't "real launch" until next Christmas anyway. The 3DS was doomed too. "And now lol"

It's tough cuz common sense dictates nintendo will do something about lagging sales. Of course they will! They have a precedent for this!!

But at the same time, the exact same thing was said about the vita. No way Sony lets that ship sink! No way they go down without a fight! They've got SOMETHING planned! CoD Vita is just the tip of the iceberg! Right...

farnham

Banned
It's tough cuz common sense dictates nintendo will do something about lagging sales. Of course they will! They have a precedent for this!!

But at the same time, the exact same thing was said about the vita. No way Sony lets that ship sink! No way they go down without a fight! They've got SOMETHING planned! CoD Vita is just the tip of the iceberg! Right...

To be fair cod vita did ship

jeremy1456

It'll happen. Then we'll get a Nintendo Direct. Then my wish of downloading Bayonetta: Climax Edition (after 11pm) before Bayonetta 2 hits, will come true.

No... it won't. At least not for the first few years. I mean, Wii U sales will get that low this summer, but I really cannot see any possible scenario where Vita outsells it outside of the week Soul Sacrifice launches.

jeremy1456

Sony's situation with the Vita isn't so much that they 'should' do something and aren't, more like they can't do anything.

I think Soul Sacrifice is all they've got - I don't think that, with the PS4 coming soon, they can afford to moneyhat third parties.

jeremy1456

"No..." to what though? The Vita > Wii U numbers? Nintendo Direct?? Or my dreams of Bayo on the eShop before Bayo2 hits??

No to Vita > Wii U numbers. I expect the Wii U to go below 30k pretty soon. Not in the numbers we get this week, but soon.

Nintendo will of course do a bunch of directs. I would be shocked beyond belief if Bayo 1 became available on the Wii U in any form.

urfe

No chance of Vita being ahead of Wii U. I say Wii U 35k (as previously stated) and Vita under 15k.

3DS stays above 100k.

jeremy1456

3DS: 85k
PS3: 21k
Wii: 11k
Vita: 16k
Wii U: 13k

That's what I think it will be when the next media create come out

This kind of stuff is crazy talk considering the Wii U will undoubtedly have software still on the chart, and the Vita probably will not.

It's as if the typical New Year bump made people start throwing out random ass numbers.

guek

Banned
Sony's situation with the Vita isn't so much that they 'should' do something and aren't, more like they can't do anything.

I think Soul Sacrifice is all they've got - I don't think that, with the PS4 coming soon, they can afford to moneyhat third parties.

Well you have three possible explanations. Either Sony is deliberately being apathetic towards the platform (unlikely), they sincerely believe that they've done all they can to secure top quality software like assassin's creed and CoD and are subsequently boggled by the lack of consumer interest (possible), or they have decided that given the lean state of the company, they would rather not spend the requisite cash to fund more 3rd parties to create key software for the platform (also possible).

If it's the 2nd one, it indicates incompetence. If it's the 3rd, it makes me wonder how much money they're going to be willing to spend to promote PS4. But then again, it's likely they view their console branch as being far more important than their handheld division.

farnham

Banned
Well you have three possible explanations. Either Sony is deliberately being apathetic towards the platform (unlikely), they sincerely believe that they've done all they can to secure top quality software like assassin's creed and CoD and are subsequently boggled by the lack of consumer interest (possible), or they have decided that given the lean state of the company, they would rather not spend the requisite cash to fund more 3rd parties to create key software for the platform (also possible).

If it's the 2nd one, it indicates incompetence. If it's the 3rd, it makes me wonder how much money they're going to be willing to spend to promote PS4. But then again, it's likely they view their console branch as being far more important than their handheld division.

It could also be a general problem sony has. Their financialnrating is at junk level. Loans from banks now require intersest rates of over 10% p.a.
Sigma 2 is Ninja Gaiden, right?

I am referring to a possible bayonetta sigma 2 on ps360

But yeah ninja gaiden is the precedence (ms publishing ninja gaiden 2 and a bit later sigma 2 comes out with superior content)

Cipherr

3DS>PS3>PSP>WiiU>Vita>360>Wii

No numbers but thats what Im predicting. This is awesome, finally Wednesday number releases are exciting again. I need to hit GIFSoup to get some images ready!

jeremy1456

Is there some huge piece of software that came out for Vita last week that I don't know about which makes these Vita > Wii U predictions make any sense whatsoever?

serplux

While Soul Sacrifice does look like a pretty cool game, I don't know how much of a push it will really give the Vita in order to make it a decently competitive system in Japan, especially considering the 3DS lineup for next year.

test_account

XP-39C²
I am referring to a possible bayonetta sigma 2 on ps360

But yeah ninja gaiden is the precedence (ms publishing ninja gaiden 2 and a bit later sigma 2 comes out with superior content)
Ah ok, like that. Yeah, i agree that might see more likely indeed. Depends on what the deal between Nintendo and Sega says about Bayonetta 2 :)

Is there some huge piece of software that came out for Vita last week that I don't know about which makes these Vita > Wii U predictions make any sense whatsoever?
No. There might not necessarily be years before we see Vita outselling the WiiU in one week though. Potential price drop for Vita and Soul Scarfice + small upcoming WiiU lineup makes it a plausible senario within the next months.

Mr Swine

Banned
This kind of stuff is crazy talk considering the Wii U will undoubtedly have software still on the chart, and the Vita probably will not.

It's as if the typical New Year bump made people start throwing out random ass numbers.

Well isn't it now that the sales will go down like mad after Xmas and new year?

Vita higher than Wii U, Wii getting a random bump, and 3DS dropping below 100k? Those certainly won't happen.

Well I think it will happen, if not then its a miracle! A MIRACLE I TELL YOU!!

Box

I think the only thing that can make Nintendo pull their head out of their ass are really bad sales.

I've seen this kind of thinking around a lot recently, but is this really going to happen?

How likely is it that Nintendo, after experiencing a massive failure with the Wii U, starts doing what the 'gamers' want? I understand the reasoning that Nintendo might change its ways after experiencing a failure, but is that likely to benefit us?

Where's the precedent for a company turning around from failure to become what everyone wanted? There are certainly precedents for companies going from failure to failure without recovering and eventually folding.

I don't know, maybe I'm focusing too much on the negative, but I don't really remember a lot of turnarounds. The only one I can think of is the Wii itself, but that didn't really work out well for the 'gamers'.

jeremy1456

There might not necessarily be years before we see Vita outselling the WiiU in one week though. Potential price drop for Vita and Soul Scarfice + small upcoming WiiU lineup makes it a plausible senario within the next months.

New Super Mario Bros. U is showing no sign of leaving the charts anytime soon.

I agree that if the Vita gets a price drop the same week Soul Sacrifice comes out there might be a chance.

farnham

Banned
I've seen this kind of thinking around a lot recently, but is this really going to happen?

How likely is it that Nintendo, after experiencing a massive failure with the Wii U, starts doing what the 'gamers' want? I understand the reasoning that Nintendo might change its ways after experiencing a failure, but is that likely to benefit us?

Where's the precedent for a company turning around from failure to become what everyone wanted? There are certainly precedents for companies going from failure to failure without recovering and eventually folding.

I don't know, maybe I'm focusing too much on the negative, but I don't really remember a lot of turnarounds. The only one I can think of is the Wii itself, but that didn't really work out well for the 'gamers'.
oh really? My impresson is that its not good for dudebro gamers but if you like platformers, jrpgs and obscure games its great

3DS>PS3>PSP>WiiU>Vita>360>Wii

No numbers but thats what Im predicting. This is awesome, finally Wednesday number releases are exciting again. I need to hit GIFSoup to get some images ready!

Nah, WiiU will still be the second best selling system.

While it will do 30-40k, everything else will drop considerably as well allowing it to maintain it's second place position.

saichi

I'm not sure how it's exactly the same thing about the VITA.... Nintendo doesn't have to rely on 3rd party to release "system sellers"...

Vita - 36k
Wii U - 34k

sick.gif

Box

oh really? My impresson is that its not good for dudebro gamers but if you like platformers, jrpgs and obscure games its great

Let me put it this way. I don't think that the Wii was satisfying to those who want the Wii U to fail.

hiska-kun

did a MC Top 50 for Week 52 ever surface?

I sent an email to MC asking for the top 50, and here's the answer they gave me:

Thank you for contact us.
As for your question, the term is winter vacation in many companies in
Japan so that we can't get data from shops. We don't update ranking
every year in this term because
can't compile data in real time.

Thank you,

Mayumi Imai

☆。',。★。',。☆',。★。',。☆。',。★。',。☆。',。★。',。☆。',。★。',。☆',。★。',。☆
Mayumi Imai
Planning Div.
PR & Editor

Media Create Co.,Ltd.
Tokyodo-Jinbo-cho, Dai-san Bldg. 5F, 1-1-17 Kanda, Jinbo-Cho,
Chiyoda-ku Tokyo 101-0051 Japan

I guess they didn't understand me, next time I'll try to write in engrish, maybe I'll have a better chance.

I sent an email to MC asking for the top 50, and here's the answer they gave me:

I guess they didn't understand me, next time I'll try to write in engrish, maybe I'll have a better chance.

And don't forget

☆。',。★。',。☆',。★。',。☆。',。★。',。☆。',。★。',。☆。',。★。',。☆',。★。',。☆

smbu2000

Yeah, I'm also expecting that much for WiiU [edit: 35k].

More curious how much of a dive Animal Crossing and Fantasy Life take. It would be amazing if Animal Crossing still went fairly strong.
Animal Crossing is still pretty much sold out all around me. Occasionally I'll see it unstick, but soon after it's sold out again.

I've seen Fantasy Life in stock one time and that was at my local Bic Camera. When I checked again a day or two later it was sold out.

Both titles should do alright I'm guessing. Depending on how much stock Nintendo/L5 can get out there.

Animal Crossing is still pretty much sold out all around me. Occasionally I'll see it unstick, but soon after it's sold out again.

I've seen Fantasy Life in stock one time and that was at my local Bic Camera. When I checked again a day or two later it was sold out.

Both titles should do alright I'm guessing. Depending on how much stock Nintendo/L5 can get out there.

When I was in Osaka, the store didn't have physical copies of Fantasy Life, Animal Crossing, or Paper Mario. It was like they never existed...except for all the advertising around them. This was a week ago though.

Wii U will be 47,000!! Peace out!

Top Bottom