• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2015 (Dec 29 - Jan 04)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Isnt it a bit early for such statements ?

Yeah I think higher level "Well here's where the industry is heading and what challenges I feel Nintendo will and won't face in getting support." type discussion makes sense, but particular products - especially of this type - would seem pretty hard to predict without actually having the system get announced and seeing who does and doesn't show up at the unveil.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
numbers are from Famitsu, the one which does not change weekly sales from the previous week

Ha! Except of the ton of games famitsu forgets to track and remembers them some years later I still remember the huge adjustments at yearly hw of PS2 first years.

Oregano

Isnt it a bit early for such statements ?

Yeah I think higher level "Well here's where the industry is heading and what challenges I feel Nintendo will and won't face in getting support." type discussion makes sense, but particular products - especially of this type - would seen pretty hard to predict without actually having the system get announced and seeing who does and doesn't show up at the unveil.

I'd just rather assume something isn't happening and be surprised if/when it does.:p

cafemomo

The bolded is probably more true than it has ever been as well. It would be cool to see a proper statistical analysis but I would put good odds on the vast majority of Vita, PS4 and Wii U owners also owning a 3DS.

It's a bit anecdotal but a lot of my Sony console owning friends have Nintendo handhelds.
Even though I'm primarily a Sony user, I used to own Nintendo hardware along side them (just down to a GBA and SNES now)

Ever since the GC/GBA, Square has been just been giving Nintendo hardware FF spinoffs which isn't that bad considering what they used to get from Square back in the SNES/SFC days. TA/TA2 was wonderful and I adored the Cyrstal Chronicles series. TRFF was my most played 3DS game. And Bravely Default was decent.

It's better than nothing though.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So, are we expecting the XB1 to be discontinued early in JP if its sales keep up like this? Or have there been consoles that have continued production selling 3 digits each week in its 1st year and still sold for a while (Vita TV?)?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah I think higher level "Well here's where the industry is heading and what challenges I feel Nintendo will and won't face in getting support." type discussion makes sense, but particular products - especially of this type - would seem pretty hard to predict without actually having the system get announced and seeing who does and doesn't show up at the unveil.

Yeah, for all we know Atlus has been one of the strongest supporters of Nintendo handhelds and with PQ all IPs showed up on that system. Of course this doesnt mean P5 will be on 4DS, but stating the opposite also is useless.

And as you mentioned, talking about particular products this far in advance is pointless when everything is just one meeting/moneyhat/promise away from being greenlighted.

Nintendo has to deliver first when it comes to their next handheld and convince 3rd partys that there wont be another 3DS like launch. I could see 3rd partys devs promising mayor support at first just like Capcom and L5 did this gen on 3DS to ensure early support from Nintendo when it comes to exposure/marketing and dev-kit allocations.

If Nintendo delivers a portable that can combine the best of both worlds ( mobile and traditional gaming), i think the support will be there. Especially if it ends up being the only next-gen handheld.

So, are we expecting the XB1 to be discontinued early in JP if its sales keep up like this? Or have there been consoles that have continued production selling 3 digits each week in its 1st year and still sold for a while (Vita TV?)?
i think mc and famitsu will stop tracking them even if its not dc.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Retail releases taking out limited editions, twin packs, budget reprints and download card only releases

3DS 2013 - 115
3DS 2014 - 99

WIU 2013 - 31
WIU 2014 - 28

PSV 2013 - 95
PSV 2014 - 126

Who's responsible retail 3DS software didn't rise a lot but a little last year? YW2 or the huge amount of new relases for the leading system in Japan?

Busaiku

3DS was super top heavy last year.
Yokai Watch, Pokemon, and Monster Hunter probably accounted for something like 12 million of the 18 million.

Vena

I feel like Atlus is fairly guaranteed as they've built a nice following on Nintendo hardware with several staple franchies (even if they happen to be bleeding them dry with over-production as of recent... EO...).

I wonder what Atlus income split looks like between 3DS/PS3/PS4/PSVita.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Given the number of small games that still come out on 3DS, I'm kind of surprised it was only at 99 while the Vita was at 126.

Like we've actually reached the point where the number of titles crossed streams despite the astronomical hardware gap in the other direction, along with very strong software sales on 3DS to boot.

Oregano

Retail releases taking out limited editions, twin packs, budget reprints and download card only releases

3DS 2013 - 115
3DS 2014 - 99

WIU 2013 - 31
WIU 2014 - 28

PSV 2013 - 95
PSV 2014 - 126

Who's responsible retail 3DS software didn't rise a lot but a little last year? YW2 or the huge amount of new relases for the leading system in Japan?

There is something seriously wrong with those numbers. It's either a case of WTF Nintendo? or WTF third parties?

The industry would be in a much better place if they actually gave the market leader the support it should have.

EDIT:
Given the number of small games that still come out on 3DS, I'm kind of surprised it was only at 99 while the Vita was at 126.

Like we've actually reached the point where the number of titles crossed streams despite the astronomical hardware gap in the other direction, along with very strong software sales on 3DS to boot.

It's why I'm so skeptical about the 3DS successor drawing in the support of Vita developers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There is something seriously wrong with those numbers. It's either a case of WTF Nintendo? or WTF third parties?

The industry would be in a much better place if they actually gave the market leader the support it should have.

This is also a situation where the answer isn't something obvious like "Well the Vita is selling five times better than the 3DS overseas so they want in on that."

It's completely dead outside Japan so the inspiration is coming entirely from the local market perspective.

Spiegel

Wait for the chart with new and exclusive games.

I bet more than half of the Vita releases are ports of older visual novels and 95% of the 3DS releases are exclusive new games-

Vena

This is also a situation where the answer isn't something obvious like "Well the Vita is selling five times better than the 3DS overseas so they want in on that."

It's completely dead outside Japan so the inspiration is coming entirely from the local market perspective.

The easy answer is $$$ from one party to another behind the scenes. Occam's Razor and all that.

That or 3DS margins are brutal to the point where notsellingonthevita is better than selling possibly higher on the 3DS.

Oregano

Aye. I mean it almost make those "third parties hate Nintendo" conspiracy theories seem plausible. Almost.

I bet more than half of the Vita releases are ports of older visual novels.

Well even in that case why aren't those games on the 3DS? It's not like the visual novel is a stranger to the system.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does anyone know how to copy multiple pages out of japanltdrank without getting hidden data?

I can't pull the full name lists since when I filter it down it still grabs all the games in between the first and last entry even if they're hidden.

The easy answer is $$$ from one party to another behind the scenes. Occam's Razor and all that.

That or 3DS margins are brutal to the point where notsellingonthevita is better than selling possibly higher on the 3DS.

I've suggested this more than once before. :p

Aye. I mean it almost make those "third parties hate Nintendo" conspiracy theories seem plausible. Almost.
I would suspect a case of Sony doing notably more for developers than Nintendo gaining burning ire.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Releasing more software doesn't necessarily lead to more software sales or customers spending more money. The 3DS has a large userbase but it's also home to many Blockbusters of you put your games on the system you better are convinced of its success considering how many options there are.

And the best performing titles are exclusive that are developed ground up from the system, which can make it difficult in a multiplatform HD environment. So the 3DS is in many ways the weird system compared to the other avaliable options.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Releasing more software doesn't necessarily lead to more software sales or customers spending more money. The 3DS has a large userbase but it's also home to many Blockbusters of you put your games on the system you better are convinced of its success considering how many options there are.

And the best performing titles are exclusive that are developed ground up from the system, which can make it difficult in a multiplatform HD environment. So the 3DS is in many ways the weird system compared to the other avaliable options.

Yes, they may just feel the demographics of those 3.5 million customers match them better than the demographics of the 18 million, even if there are vastly more in the latter pile.

I mean similarly it's also the very reason for releasing a game on 3DS instead of mobile, right? There's a LOT more phone gamers in Japan than there are 3DSes.

Oregano

Many of Vita's visual novel ports are games that were once released on PSP. 240p to 240p isn't an upgrade.

Yeah I guess so. Is it the genre really that reliantnon double dippers though?

Yes, they may just feel the demographics of those 3.5 million customers match them better than the demographics of the 18 million, even if there are vastly more in the latter pile.

I mean similarly it's also the very reason for releasing a game on 3DS instead of mobile, right? There's a LOT more phone gamers in Japan than there are 3DSes.

You have a point but it would have to be that the majority publishers think the majority of prodcuts are more suited to that smaller userbase. The 3DS gets a lot, lot less games than mobile though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If there is no Vita successor as it's highly probable, I'd say the biggest titles on the platform will surely look at 3DS' successor as the platform where to release their games in the after-Vita age, since they rely on bigger numbers. So, hunting games like God Eater and Toukiden or PSO, which see a major part of their sales coming from being on portables due to the local multiplayer component, and multi releases with PS3/PS4 like Gundam Breaker, One Piece Pirate Warriors, Samurai Warriors 4 and several others.

For devs like NIS, Falcom, Gust, Idea Factory & co....I guess it depends. As already said, I can't see them completely ignoring the platform given the already mentioned circumstance, I think they will consider it. But not in droves, since their games have a fixed audience on Sony platforms and they don't require a relevant installed base as much as others.

Don't know about visual novels. They'll probably be one of the last genres to make the jump, if they'll ever make the jump...I mean, there are still visual novels being released in 2015 on PSP. Not just Vita, PSP.

Jigorath

Banned

3DS 2013 - 115
3DS 2014 - 99

WIU 2013 - 31
WIU 2014 - 28

PSV 2013 - 95
PSV 2014 - 126

Strong 3rd party relations go a long way in this business.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Titles that sell in small numbers, albeit have fostered a dedicated audience, are much better off on platforms such as Vita as oppose to the 3DS.

Mainstream titles are much better off seeking the largest install-base, and that would be 3DS.

Spiegel

And again, there's a reason why people got surprised when Saga got announced for Vita. And it's that Vita has almost non-existant exclusive support.

It would be nice to see the list of games and not just the numbers because these mean nothing when maybe 40% are ports of older VN, 20% are new VN/the nichest games ever released, 30% are multiplatform games shared with PS3 and 10% are exclusive new games. (Percentages exaggerated to show my point)

You only have to compare support between 3DS and PSV from Square Enix, Capcom, Konami, Bandai Namco and Level 5.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

I bet more than half of the Vita releases are ports of older visual novels and 95% of the 3DS releases are exclusive new games-

Uta Kumi 575 # <ACT> (Sega) {2014.01.23} (¥7.350)
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.01.23} (¥6.480)
Rozen Maiden: Wechseln Sie Welt ab # <ADV> (5pb.) {2014.01.30} (¥7.140)
Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2014.01.30} (¥6.729)
Terraria <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2014.02.06} (¥2.980)
Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (¥5.229)
Super Heroine Chronicle <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.02.06} (¥7.480)
Chou no Doku: Hana no Kusari - Taishou Tsuyakoi Ibun <ADV> (Prototype) {2014.02.20} (¥6.090)
Infinite Stratos 2: Ignition Hearts # <ADV> (5pb.) {2014.02.27} (¥7.140)
Valhalla Knights 3: Gold <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.02.27} (¥5.229)
Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds <ACT> (5pb.) {2014.02.27} (¥5.040)
Deception IV: Blood Ties # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.02.27} (¥6.090)
Soul Sacrifice &#916; <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.03.06} (¥4.980)
J-Stars Victory Vs # <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.03.19} (¥6.980)
Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 2: Deluxe Package <RPG> (Sega) {2014.03.20} (¥5.229)
Pro Baseball Spirits 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.03.20} (¥6.983)
Samurai Warriors 4 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.20} (¥7.140)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2: Sisters Generation # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2014.03.20} (¥6.090)
Lovely Quest: Unlimited # <ADV> (Piacci) {2014.03.27} (¥6.279)
Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of Dusk # <RPG> (Gust) {2014.03.27} (¥6.090)
Winning Post 8 # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.27} (¥7.140)
Golden Time: Vivid Memories # <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.03.27} (¥6.279)
Ro-Kyu-Bu! Naisho no Shutter Chance # <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.03.27} (¥6.480)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd <ACT> (Sega) {2014.03.27} (¥7.350)
Kanojo wa ore Kara Hanarenai # <ADV> (Technical Group Laboratory) {2014.03.27} (¥5.229)
Hakuoki SSL: Sweet School Life # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.03.27} (¥6.090)
Natural Doctrine <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.04.03} (¥6.458)
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai # <ADV> (5pb.) {2014.04.10} (¥7.344)
3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.10} (¥7.689)
Mato Kurenai Yuugekitai: Tokyo Twilight Ghosthunters <ADV> (Arc System Works) {2014.04.10} (¥7.344)
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2014.04.24} (¥6.264)
Imasugu Oniichan ni Imouto Datte Iitai! # <ADV> (GN Software) {2014.04.24} (¥6.458)
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.24} (¥6.664)
Rayman Legends <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2014.04.24} (¥5.184)
God of War Collection: God of War/God of War II <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.05.15} (¥4.104)
Genkai Totsuki Moero Chronicle # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2014.05.15} (¥7.344)
To Love Ru Trouble: Darkness - Battle Ecstasy # <ADV> (FuRyu) {2014.05.22} (¥7.538)
Amnesia World # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.05.22} (¥6.264)
Arcana Heart 3: Love Max!!!!! <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2014.05.29} (¥7.344)
Motto Ane, Chan to Shiyouyo! + Plus # <ADV> (Net Revolution) {2014.05.29} (¥7.344)
Nobunaga's Ambition: Creation <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.05.29} (¥8.424)
Eiyuu Senki # <SLG> (5pb.) {2014.05.29} (¥7.344)
Chou Megami Shinkou Noire: Gekishin Black Heart # <SLG> (Compile Heart) {2014.05.29} (¥7.344)
One Piece: Unlimited World Red <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.12} (¥6.145)
The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki Evolution # <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.06.12} (¥6.264)
htoL NiQ: The Firefly Diary <ACT> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2014.06.19} (¥6.264)
Durarara!! 3-way Standoff: Alley V <ADV> (ASCII Media Works) {2014.06.19} (¥5.637)
Sengoku Hime 4: Souha Hyakkei, Hanamoru Chikai # <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) {2014.06.19} (¥7.020)
Cross Channel: For All People # <ADV> (5pb.) {2014.06.26} (¥7.344)
Girls & Panzer: Senshado, Kiwamemasu! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} (¥7.171)
Freedom Wars <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.06.26} (¥6.264)
Robotics;Notes Elite # <ADV> (5pb.) {2014.06.26} (¥7.344)
Aiyoku no Eustia: Angel's Blessing # <ADV> (HuneX) {2014.06.26} (¥7.452)
Demon Gaze: Global Edition <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.07.03} (¥4.644)
Sorayume <ADV> (Takuyo) {2014.07.17} (¥5.400)
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines # <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.07.17} (¥6.264)
Soukai Buccaneers! # <ADV> (Future Tech Lab) {2014.07.17} (¥6.264)
WRC 4: FIA World Rally Championship <RCE> (Square Enix) {2014.07.24} (¥6.151)
Corpse Party: Blood Drive # <ADV> (5pb.) {2014.07.24} (¥7.344)
Re:Vised # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.07.24} (¥6.264)
Tokyo Shinseiroku: Operation Abyss # <RPG> (5pb.) {2014.07.24} (¥6.264)
Soushuu Senshinkan Gakuen: Hachimyoujin - Ten no Koku # <ADV> (Views) {2014.07.24} (¥7.344)
Child of Light: Special Edition <RPG> (Ubisoft) {2014.07.31} (¥2.678)
Kaihou Shoujo Sin # <ADV> (5pb.) {2014.07.31} (¥7.344)
Lost Dimension <RPG> (FuRyu) {2014.08.07} (¥6.782)
Shin Hayari Gami <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2014.08.07} (¥6.264)
Monster Hunter Frontier G: Beginner's Package <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.08.13} (¥6.264)
Clannad <ADV> (Prototype) {2014.08.14} (¥5.184)
Chaos;Head: Dual # <ADV> (5pb.) {2014.08.21} (¥6.264)
Bullet Girls <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2014.08.21} (¥6.799)
KissBell # <ADV> (Technical Group Laboratory) {2014.08.28} (¥6.458)
Love Live! School Idol Paradise Vol.1: Printemps / Vol.2: BiBi / Vol.3: Lily White # <ACT> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.08.28} (¥6.998)
Rewrite <ADV> (Prototype) {2014.08.28} (¥6.264)
Renai 0 Kilometer V <ADV> (Kaga Create) {2014.08.28} (¥7.344)
Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28} (¥6.264)
Hyperdimension Action Neptunia U # <ACT> (Compile Heart) {2014.08.28} (¥6.458)
Meikyuu Cross Blood: Infinity Ultimate <RPG> (5pb.) {2014.08.28} (¥4.104)
The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥5.378)
BinaryStar # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.09.04} (¥6.264)
Chain Chronicle V <RPG> (Sega) {2014.09.11} (¥4.298)
Dungeon Travelers 2: Ouritsu Tokoshan to Mamono no Fuuin # <RPG> (Aqua Plus) {2014.09.25} (¥6.264)
Farming Simulator 14: Pocket Nouen 2 <SLG> (Intergrow) {2014.09.25} (¥6.264)
Monobeno: Pure Smile # <ADV> (HuneX) {2014.09.25} (¥7.452)
Bakumatsu Rock: Ultra Soul # <ADV> (Marvelous) {2014.09.25} (¥6.264)
Kamisama to Koi Gokoro <SLG> (Takuyo) {2014.09.25} (¥5.400)
DanganRonpa: Another Episode <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2014.09.25} (¥7.020)
Hanasaku Manimani # <ADV> (5pb.) {2014.09.25} (¥7.344)
The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki II # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2014.09.25} (¥7.344)
Ar Nosurge Plus: Ode to an Unborn Star # <RPG> (Gust) {2014.10.02} (¥6.264)
Ciel Nosurge Offline: Ushinawareta Hoshi e Sasagu Uta # <ETC> (Gust) {2014.10.02} (¥6.264)
Nekketsu Inou Bukatsu: Trigger Kiss # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.10.02} (¥6.264)
FIFA 15 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.10.09} (¥5.940)
Flowers <ADV> (Prototype) {2014.10.09} (¥5.184)
Hideboh Tap Dance Hero <ACT> (Dorart) {2014.10.09} (¥5.184)
Amnesia Later × Crowd: V Edition - Amnesia Later/Amnesia Crowd <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.10.16} (¥7.020)
Chaos Ring III: Prequel Trilogy <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.10.16} (¥5.184)
Super Hero Generation # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.10.23} (¥7.171)
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.10.23} (¥7.538)
Grisaia no Meikyuu: Le Labyrinthe de la Grisaia <ADV> (Prototype) {2014.10.30} (¥5.616)
Dramatical Murder Re:code <ADV> (Nitro+) {2014.10.30} (¥7.020)
Marginal 4: Idol of Supernova # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.11.13} (¥6.264)
Hanayamata: Yosakoi Live! # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.11.13} (¥6.145)
Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax <FTG> (Sega) {2014.11.13} (¥6.663)
Monster Hunter Frontier G6: Premium Package <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.11.19} (¥6.264)
M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane///Mission Memento Mori <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.11.20} (¥6.664)
Senjou no Waltz # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.11.20} (¥6.264)
Code: Realize - Sousei no Himegimi # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.11.27} (¥6.264)
Dekamori Senran Kagura # <ACT> (Marvelous) {2014.11.27} (¥4.320)
Nisekoi: Yomeiri!? <ADV> (Konami) {2014.11.27} (¥6.980)
Phantasy Star Nova <RPG> (Sega) {2014.11.27} (¥6.458)
Fate/Hollow Ataraxia # <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.11.27} (¥6.480)
Ooedo BlackSmith <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2014.11.27} (¥6.458)
Ginsei Igo: Next Generation <TBL> (SilverStar) {2014.11.27} (¥5.184)
Diabolik Lovers: Vandead Carnival # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.12.04} (¥6.264)
Borderlands 2 <RPG> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2014.12.04} (¥5.400)
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 3 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.12.04} (¥7.344)
Kadenz Fermata//Akkord:Fortissimo # <ADV> (5pb.) {2014.12.11} (¥7.344)
Grisaia no Rakuen: Le Eden de la Grisaia <ADV> (Prototype) {2014.12.11} (¥5.616)
Norn + Nonette: Var Commons # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.12.11} (¥6.264)
Earth Defense Force 2 Portable V2 # <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2014.12.11} (¥5.616)
Sengoku Hime 5: Senkatatsu Haoh no Keifu # <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) {2014.12.11} (¥7.020)
Kaeru Batake de Tsukamaete <ADV> (Takuyo) {2014.12.18} (¥6.858)
Gundam Breaker 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.12.18} (¥7.171)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Century # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2014.12.18} (¥6.264)
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Out of Order # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.12.25} (¥6.664)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah I guess so. Is it the genre really that reliantnon double dippers though?

You have a point but it would have to be that the majority publishers think the majority of prodcuts are more suited to that smaller userbase. The 3DS gets a lot, lot less games than mobile though.

Ultimately it's a confluence of all the factors:
- Sony incentivizes developers better either monetarily/licensing fee reduction/co-marketing-wise and/or in terms of technological/cross-platform/other development support.
- Sony works harder to build the platform to the wishes of developers in the first place, and give them a long lead time to work on the hardware.
- The platforms are perceived as having different demographics, and publishers seem to feel quite a few of their games match up better with Sony's ecosystem.
- The Vita has more modern hardware and thus can much more easily inherit games from mobile or the PS3/low-end PS4, as well as use existing licensable engines.
- Not a lot of developers are making series that actually need a huge install base to reach their sales potential. The Vita may be selling enough or more than enough for their needs. As publishers/developers get less ambitious this becomes progressively more true.
- Nintendo seems to go after developers through partnerships with their IPs. However, this presumably comes at a cost to the developer either upfront and/or in terms of per-unit fees later. Not every developer is going to want that. Feasibly there are far more who don't want that than do.
- The huge success of mobile is peeling potential handheld games away from handhelds and on to phones, especially in the casual arena which the DS dominated.
- A lot of developers put their biggest series on consoles to appeal to the West, so if their series is too big for Vita and not a good fit for mobile, that doesn't mean the 3DS is the obvious fit.
- As games take more resources, the resources go to the biggest projects, which are often the previously mentioned console games, removing the number of handheld games that may have come out otherwise on the biggest handheld system. Mobile games are also increasing in scope now, so they suck up more resources to boot.
- Targeting Greater Asia also sees more Japanese developers focusing on f2p PC titles, which again take resources away that could have went to a bigger handheld game fit for the 3DS. If you're going to port one of these games, they're also easier to get on Vita a la something like PSO2.

The 3DS got Yokai Watch because Hino feels that it is the only place you can really put a regular retail priced game and reach a gazillion kids. These are the kinds of victories they still win, but as the market changes and their competitors get increasingly competitive in developer acquisition, they need to step up hard if they don't like the trend.

That, or they can decide that the games they're missing aren't worth their while to chase. There is an option to make an opportunity cost judgment on that front and go for fewer games, but higher average sales.

Vena

Given the digital options, and the fact that Vita uses cartridges all the same. I don't think physical reasons are the limit on margins, unless Nintendo has crazy costs but I'd doubt that. This isn't the N64, and I doubt Iwata would have such a policy.

We know their digital policies aren't draconian anymore either from indie sources.

So... Occam's Razor says grease on the cogs.

Titles that sell in small numbers, albeit have fostered a dedicated audience, are much better off on platforms such as Vita as oppose to the 3DS.

Mainstream titles are much better off seeking the largest install-base, and that would be 3DS.
This and platform holder incentivisation are probably sufficient explanation. Edit: although Niro has done a great job at a more expansive answer now.

20M or 4M matters a lot less when expectations are only in the realm of a few thousand.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800)
Vitamin X: Evolution Plus <ADV> (D3 Publisher) {2014.01.16} (¥4.179)
Karous: The Beast of Re:Eden <STG> (Klon) {2014.01.23} (¥6.090)
Toushin Toshi <RPG> (Image Epoch) {2014.01.30} (¥6.279)
Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.02.06} (¥5.490)
Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (¥5.229)
A-Train: City Simulator <SLG> (Artdink) {2014.02.13} (¥6.090)
Magi: A New World <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.02.13} (¥5.980)
Kuroko's Basketball: Miracle Victory <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.02.20} (¥5.980)
Fossil Fighters: Frontier <RPG> (Nintendo) {2014.02.27} (¥4.800)
Harvest Moon: Linking the New World <SLG> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.02.27} (¥5.040)
Anpanman to Asobo: New Aiueo Kyoushitsu <EDU> (Agatsuma Entertainment) {2014.03.06} (¥4.980)
Doraemon: Shin Nobita no Daimakyou - Peko to 5-nin no Tankentai <ACT> (FuRyu) {2014.03.06} (¥5.229)
Kuma-Mon Bomber: Puzzle de Kuma-Mon Taisou <PZL> (Rocket Company) {2014.03.13} (¥5.040)
Super Man Ultra Baseball: Action Card Battle <SPT> (Culture Brain) {2014.03.13} (¥5.229)
Retro Game Challenge: 3-Choume no Arino # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.03.20} (¥5.480)
Hero Bank <RPG> (Sega) {2014.03.20} (¥5.550)
Mario Party: Island Tour <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.03.20} (¥4.800)
New Love Plus+ # <ETC> (Konami) {2014.03.27} (¥5.985)
Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Kasukabe Eiga Stars! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.10} (¥5.119)
A Penguin's Troubles + Bakushou! Roulette Battle!! <ACT> (Alchemist) {2014.04.10} (¥5.184)
Style Savvy: Trendsetters - Tokimeki Up! <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.04.17} (¥4.936)
Detective Conan: Phantom Rapsody <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.17} (¥6.145)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All/Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations # <ADV> (Capcom) {2014.04.17} (¥4.309)
JS Girl: Doki Doki Model Challenge <SLG> (Nippon Columbia) {2014.04.24} (¥5.184)
Guruguru Tamagotchi! <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.24} (¥5.119)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call # <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.04.24} (¥6.264)
MapleStory 3DS <RPG> (Nexon) {2014.04.24} (¥4.752)
Touch Detective: Ozawa Rina Rising 3 - Nameko wa Banana no Yume o Miru ka? <PZL> (Success) {2014.05.01} (¥5.184)
Mario Golf: World Tour <SPT> (Nintendo) {2014.05.01} (¥4.937)
World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥5.119)
Card Fight!! Vanguard: Lock on Victory!! <TBL> (FuRyu) {2014.06.05} (¥5.378)
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth # <RPG> (Atlus) {2014.06.05} (¥7.538)
Pac-World <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.19} (¥5.119)
Pokemon Art Academy <HOB> (Nintendo) {2014.06.19} (¥3.908)
Konchuu Monster: Super Battle <ACT> (Culture Brain) {2014.06.19} (¥5.184)
Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} (¥5.119)
Jukugo: Sokuhiki Jiten <EDU> (Altron) {2014.06.26} (¥4.968)
IslandDays <ADV> (Klon) {2014.07.03} (¥6.480)
Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937)
Gundam Tri Age SP <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.07.17} (¥6.145)
Hamatora: Look at Smoking World <RPG> (FuRyu) {2014.07.17} (¥6.458)
Hoppechan: Minna de Odekake! Waku Waku Hoppe Land!! <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2014.07.17} (¥5.184)
Yoshi's New Island <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.07.24} (¥4.936)
Fate/Kaleid Liner: Prisma Illya # <ACT> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.07.31} (¥6.480)
SoniPro <SLG> (Image Epoch) {2014.07.31} (¥6.458)
Thomas to Asonde Oboeru Kotobato Kazu to ABC <EDU> (Nippon Columbia) {2014.07.31} (¥5.184)
Happiness Charge PreCure! Kawa-Run Collection <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.07.31} (¥5.627)
Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.08.07} (¥6.145)
Farming Simulator 14: Pocket Nouen 2 <SLG> (Intergrow) {2014.08.07} (¥6.264)
Senran Kagura 2: Crimson # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.08.07} (¥6.998)
Tetsudou Nippon! Rosen Tabi: Shikatou Rinkai Tetsudou Hen <SLG> (Sonic Powered) {2014.08.21} (¥6.264)
Medarot 8: Kabuto Ver. / Kuwagata Ver. <RPG> (Rocket Company) {2014.08.28} (¥6.264)
Gaist Crusher: God <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.09.04} (¥5.389)
Dragon Quest X Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥4.104)
Boku wa Koukuu Kanseikan: Airport Hero 3D - Kankuu Sky Story <PZL> (Sonic Powered) {2014.09.04} (¥6.264)
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616)
Tenkai Knights: Brave Battle <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.09.25} (¥5.119)
Haikyu!! Tsunage! Itadaki no Keshiki!! # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.09.25} (¥6.145)
Kouekizaidan Houjin Nihon Kanji Noyryoku Kentei Kyoukai: Kanken Training <EDU> (Rocket Company) {2014.09.25} (¥4.104)
Kinki no Magna <SLG> (Marvelous) {2014.10.02} (¥6.458)
Nazotoki Battle Tore! Densetsu no Makyuu o Fukkatsu Saseyo! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.10.02} (¥5.119)
Choko Inu no Chokotto Fushigi na Monogatari: Chocolate Hime to Mahou no Recipe <ADV> (Nippon Columbia) {2014.10.09} (¥5.184)
Majin Bone: Jikan to Kuukan no Majin <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.10.09} (¥6.145)
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264)
Tales of the World: Reve Unitia <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.10.23} (¥5.627)
Tetsudou Nippon! Rosen Tabi: Eizan Densha Hen <SLG> (Sonic Powered) {2014.10.23} (¥6.264)
Cooking Mama: Watashi no Sweets Shop <ACT> (Office Create) {2014.11.06} (¥4.968)
The LEGO Movie Videogame <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2014.11.06} (¥5.076)
Elminage Ibun: Ame no Mihashira Kai <RPG> (Starfish SD) {2014.11.13} (¥6.264)
Touch Detective: Nameko Rhythm <ACT> (Success) {2014.11.13} (¥5.184)
Marvel Disk Wars: Avengers - Ultimate Heroes <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.11.13} (¥5.119)
One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.11.13} (¥6.145)
Shunsoku Mezase! Zenkoku Saikyou Runner <RCE> (MTO) {2014.11.13} (¥5.184)
Anpanman to Touch: Waku Waku Training <EDU> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.11.20} (¥4.601)
Dolly Kanon Doki Doki Tokimeki Himitsu no Ongaku Katsudou Start Desu!! <ADV> (Happinet) {2014.11.20} (¥5.480)
DoraEigo: Nobita to Yousei no Fushigi Collection <EDU> (Shogakukan) {2014.11.20} (¥4.937)
MahoCole: Mahou Idol Collection <ACT> (5pb.) {2014.11.20} (¥5.980)
Fujiko F Fujio Characters Daishuugou! SF Dotabata Party!! <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.11.20} (¥6.145)
Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937)
A-Train: City Simulator - Beginner's Pack <SLG> (Artdink) {2014.11.27} (¥6.998)
Gotouchi Tetsudou: Gotouchi Chara to Nihon Zenkoku no Tabi <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.11.27} (¥5.626)
Hero Bank 2 <RPG> (Sega) {2014.11.27} (¥5.550)
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Knight of Fafnir <RPG> (Atlus) {2014.11.27} (¥6.458)
Aikatsu! 365-Hi no Idol Days <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.12.04} (¥5.627)
Soroban - Anzan - Flash Anzan: Full Version <EDU> (Klon) {2014.12.04} (¥3.990)
Derby Stallion Gold <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.12.04} (¥6.264)
Pac-World 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.12.04} (¥5.119)
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 3 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.12.04} (¥6.264)
Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind - Chain <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2014.12.04} (¥5.378)
Daisenryaku: Dai Toua Kouboushi - Dainijisekaitaisen Boppatsu - Suujiku Sentai Rengougun Zensekaisen <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) {2014.12.11} (¥7.020)
Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968)
12-Sai. Honto no Kimochi <ADV> (Happinet) {2014.12.18} (¥5.480)
Sega 3D Reprint Archives: 3D Space Harrier/3D Fantasy Zone/3D OutRun/3D Streets of Rage/3D Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master/3D Ecco the Dolphin/Space Harrier 3-D/OutRun 3-D <ETC> (Sega) {2014.12.18} (¥4.298)
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal <ACT> (Sega) {2014.12.18} (¥5.378)
Final Fantasy Explorers <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.12.18} (¥6.264)
Relaxuma: Nakayoshi Collection <ETC> (Rocket Company) {2014.12.18} (¥5.184)
Boku wa Koukuu Kanseikan: Airport Hero 3D - Narita All-Stars <PZL> (Sonic Powered) {2014.12.25} (¥6.480)

Takao

Banned
If your game is going to sell 4000 units no matter what, wouldn't you chose the one with lower royalties and better digital adoption?

I think it's more likely that a few publishers are making up the majority of Vita's output. 5pb. released 14 Vita games last year, while Idea Factory (including Compile Heart) released 16. That's 30 games just between two companies that don't really (ever?) release content on Nintendo hardware.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Yep, so many Visual Novels.

Are there even 10 new non-VN exclusive third party games?

It's not just exclusives. Vita has many high-profile multiplatforms.

The original post had to do with the support 3DS gets considering it's the market leader, not another 3DS/PSV war. If we go there many 3DS exclusives are crap low budget games and I see many multiplatforms and ports in there too.

Oregano

Is that necessarily true though. Games have been able to build dedicated fanbases on the 3DS and some smaller series have seen some of their best results yet.

Ultimately it's a confluence of all the factors:
<snip>

The 3DS got Yokai Watch because Hino feels that it is the only place you can really put a regular retail priced game and reach a gazillion kids. These are the kinds of victories they still win, but as the market changes and their competitors get increasingly competitive in developer acquisition, they need to step up hard if they don't like the trend.

That, or they can decide that the games they're missing aren't worth their while to chase. There is an option to make an opportunity cost judgment on that front and go for fewer games, but higher average sales.

I agree that a lot of blame falls on Nintendo's feet(they probably are just there going "WTF guys?" when they should be more proactive) but it's almost bewildering how intent publishers are to ignore such a sizable audience. Especially when as it has been put the 3DS essentially is the traditional market now in Japan.

Vena

If your game is going to sell 4000 units no matter what, wouldn't you chose the one with lower royalties and better digital adoption?

Do we have data to show that it is higher on the Vita than on the 3DS?

I agree that a lot of blame falls on Nintendo's feet(they probably are just there going "WTF guys?" when they should be more proactive) but it's almost bewildering how intent publishers are to ignore such a sizable audience. Especially when as it has been put the 3DS essentially is the traditional market now in Japan.

We have no idea how far Sony greases the wheels. They are a conglomerate, Nintendo is a game company. For all we know, Sony takes zero royalties but Nintendo lives off of that sort of income.

Is this not just a case of comparing the output of various different levels of publishers though?

I mean, looking at Chris' list, as a couple of examples Idea Factory/Compile Heart released 16 titles on Vita in 2014 and 5pb released 14 (edit: And beaten by Takao on this one, dammit)

Neither of those companies need large expanded userbases to sell their games too. For whatever reason (Sony incentives? Less competition? Long-standing third-party relationship? Ease of porting from other consoles?) they've decided Vita is the platform for their otome/VN/fanservice RPG stuff, which is produced at a fairly rapid rate and released at retail.

You've also got 12 from Bandai Namco (I'd imagine they'd have even more on 3DS edit: Yep, 23) and 9 from Tecmo Koei/Gust (who have pretty much just been porting everything across from PS3 presumably because it makes them a small profit and it's an easy job).

Meanwhile, Level-5 are completely missing from Vita in 2014, but they're having a ball of a time on 3DS - but that's with one franchise that had 3 entries this year. Bigger company, higher sellers, but lower output.

yesterday I was checking NoJ hp (they changed graphic, I don't like it now) and I noticed a lot of digital releases for 3DS, maybe this could be a reason why 2014 had less retail games than 2013

Top Bottom