• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2014 (Mar 17 - Mar 23)

Elios83

The PSP/DS situation seems to be repeting here. 3DS is reaching saturation and sales are migrating towards the other handheld.

So all the MGS demo managed to do is help the PS4 tread water. This is not great news for console gaming in Japan.

At this point I'm wondering if the PS4's even going to sell more then the WIi U this year. :/

Shengar

it is possible that Vita could get some support from Square and Capcom, since is doing OK right now? Not original games of course, but enhanced mobile ports or something?

Capcom: "What's a Vita?" [laughs]
Seriously though, Square have at least ported FFX/X-2 HD to Vita, and since its doing pretty well comparatively to the PS3 version, we could expect they do the same with FFXII HD if they ever gonna do one. It's Capcom that still neglect the platform with no future support in sight unlike Square.

it is possible that Vita could get some support from Square and Capcom, since is doing OK right now? Not original games of course, but enhanced mobile ports or something?

SE, maybe. But I get the impression Capcom doesn't want anything to do with the Vita ever again. Even that Monster Hunter Frontier port they announced last year - and have since released on everything else multiple times over - is completely MIA.

Frillen

1) PS4 versions aleady closing in on PS3 versions. That's good news. What's not good news is lots of people buying a $30 demo.
2) Smokydave F5ing the front page waiting to get the first reply thinking the Vita is first, then it isn't. Lol! That one had to burn.
3) Hopefully the PS4 can clinge onto 20k+ as a baseline. The japanese can at least buy the only console that matters there.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Five new releases for Vita this week? That's hot!

SmokyDave

lol at Media Create ruining SmokyDave's celebration
This transgression will not be forgotten. I'm starting a petition to change the 'official' tracker.

2) Smokydave F5ing the front page waiting to get the first reply thinking the Vita is first, then it isn't. Lol! That one had to burn.
I'm surprised you overlooked my last post in the Week 11 thread whilst you were printing stuff out for your obsessive scrapbook. I knew it was 2nd before this thread went up ;)

Still, I can wait one more week. Consider this week 'foreplay'.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
My eyes must be playing tricks on me.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you think Nintendo shouldn't be "scared" although that's probably melodramatic. They should certainly be concerned.

This decline and saturation is in the 3DS's strongest market. And considering the relative sales quantity in reaching saturation would suggest a market decline that could extend to their next handheld product.

This without mentioning that they're ability to launch a new home console is seriously questionable at this stage, leaving a future handheld as potentially their only viable product line (excluding QoL crap that I currently have no confidence in).

If that's not cause for concern, I don't know what is really.

Well, yeah, I was more answering to people that think Nintendo should be SCARED by this. Not that they shouldn't care at all. That's why I've also said that they should do something on the matter, like cutting the price of both 3DS and 3DS XL, or a new model, in order to re-ignite hardware sales. My reference to the possibility of 3DS successor being launched next year was a way to take care of the situation as well. Certainly, they can't launch it completely ignoring recent trends. Still, I think they should take a good consideration of the recent Japanese decline, but without exaggerating, since, as already said, it's natural, and it happened on DS as well. Different numbers for sure, but % wise, it's around the same, and software sales are still going strong.

Still, I was more talking about the handheld business, not the overall picture: of course, the overall picture shows bigger signs of concerns, since next handheld could be their only viable product. At least, going with Iwata's recent words and actions, we're going to see a much bigger interaction between home and handheld lines, and Nintendo Network is the real platform, a-la-iOS/Android, across all devices, which would actually "solve" the home platform problem, because it'd become the extension of the handheld one...but we have to see how they execute it obviously. The plan is sound (and what I wanted to hear, more or less), so I can see it going well, but they could always screw up, so I'm optimistic on that, but not so much to say that it'll surely go well. And the QoL is a gigantic question mark now for sure, so much that I don't know what to say about it, we know way too low infos on it.

[3DS] Nintendo 3DS LL Monster Hunter 4 Gold Rajan <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥19.900)

nintendo-3ds-ll-monster-hunter-4-rajang-gold-limited-edition.jpg

[3DS] New Love Plus+ [Nene Deluxe Complete Set] <ETC> (Konami) (¥33.600)
[3DS] New Love Plus+ [Manaka Deluxe Complete Set] <ETC> (Konami) (¥33.600)
[3DS] New Love Plus+ [Rinko Deluxe Complete Set] <ETC> (Konami) (¥33.600)

nintendo-3ds-ll-new-love-plus-nene-deluxe-complete-set-limited-edition.jpg

nintendo-3ds-ll-new-love-plus-manaka-deluxe-complete-set-limited-edition.jpg

nintendo-3ds-ll-new-love-plus-rinko-deluxe-complete-set-limited-edition.jpg

[WIU] Wii Sports Club: Wii U Family Premium Set <SPT> (Nintendo) (¥31.500)

large.jpg

mclem

Wii U rose more than PS4 in the week of Ground Zeroes' release.

That is not something I expected to see.

Edit: Per Media Create. Famitsu is a more notable bump. Although still not quite the size I was hoping for.

test_account

XP-39C²
1) PS4 versions aleady closing in on PS3 versions. That's good news. What's not good news is lots of people buying a $30 demo.
3) Hopefully the PS4 can clinge onto 20k+ as a baseline. The japanese can at least buy the only console that matters there.
Its actually cheaper than $30 in Japan. Maybe not directly coverted currency, but it sells for about 2500 yen on Amazon. Metal Gear Solid 4 was around 8000 yen. A $30 would be about 50% of a normal game in the US, while in Japan, it would go for about 30% or so instead.

Vita is first by the way, in Famitsu:

| PSV # | 37.904 | 28.761 | 37.883 | 356.055 | 289.047 | 2.631.194 |
| 3DS # | 34.828 | 29.248 | 76.043 | 633.696 | 1.263.943 | 15.327.707 |

Frillen

This transgression will not be forgotten. I'm starting a petition to change the 'official' tracker.

I'm surprised you overlooked my last post in the Week 11 thread whilst you were printing stuff out for your obsessive scrapbook. I knew it was 2nd before this thread went up ;)

Still, I can wait one more week. Consider this week 'foreplay'.
My scrapbook is spot on though ;). At least I'm not obsessive of just one company, but all three.

iori9999

Banned
PS3 and Vita with some healthy software sales along with a nice Vita bump.. PS4 is meh but I guess 30k per week isn't bad if it's a baseline..

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Um, it's nearly 50% down on last year. It's dropping.

IMO the 3DS situation is even more worrisome than Wii U. We all knew Wii U was a flop but at least we thought 3DS would carry Nintendo through. But it appears that 3DS sales peaked in 2012 despite a 2013 filled with megaton releases (Pokemon, MH4, Zelda, Animal Crossing, etc.)

Surprised Vita has stayed ahead of last year's numbers with the pricecut. It looks like it should keep ahead too. Last years numbers drop down to 14k in 3 weeks time.

I was thinking there's a chance for a 5k bump for PS4 hardware sales, but I guess it's tough for the Japanese market for a cross-plat release.

Still, a good thing to see sales so close between both versions. I was afraid we'd see a 70:30 split.

So all the MGS demo managed to do is help the PS4 tread water. This is not great news for console gaming in Japan.

At this point I'm wondering if the PS4's even going to sell more then the WIi U this year. :/

PS4 has already achieved like half of WiiU's 2014 LTD lol.

WiiU sells 10k a week. For it to close the 300k disparity, PS4 will have to sell like 2k-3k a week for the rest of the year.

My eyes must be playing tricks on me.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you think Nintendo shouldn't be "scared" although that's probably melodramatic. They should certainly be concerned.

This decline and saturation is in the 3DS's strongest market. And considering the relative sales quantity in reaching saturation would suggest a market decline that could extend to their next handheld product.

This without mentioning that they're ability to launch a new home console is seriously questionable at this stage, leaving a future handheld as potentially their only viable product line (excluding QoL crap that I currently have no confidence in).

If that's not cause for concern, I don't know what is really.

Nintendo should be scared. Their home console is effectively dead and their handheld has experienced a 50% decline in its 4th year. Whats more is that if it is due to saturation then you only have to look at the DS's LTD compared to the 3DS's when it saw a similar decline to see ho much their market has disappeared.

On the upside 3DS software sales remain very good.

I want to get a Vita soon, but I'm not sure if I should get the LCD or OLED version. I heard the former was gimped and the latter had screen issues after a while. I'm confused.

crinale

I want to get a Vita soon, but I'm not sure if I should get the LCD or OLED version. I heard the former was gimped and the latter had screen issues after a while. I'm confused.

Is Vita slim even out at western market?
Or was it already out on EU?

If you've never owned OLED version then I'd recommend newer version.

Shengar

We'll never know what will happen.
MH was never big until MHP (that is released like few month before MH2 was coming out).

Yeah, the Wii was a freak incident as well (though sadly it's not long lasting like MH). The next big thing most of the time is unpredictable, but hoping one for a platform recovery will be better suited for a daydream.

sörine

Banned
SW4 did terrible overall but that Vita figure is really low for a mainline game. For all the Musou that Tecmo Koei's been showering Vita with it really doesn't seem to have made enough impact with transitioning the fanbase. The over-investment in Vita isn't paying off like it should.

PS4 has already achieved like half of WiiU's 2014 LTD lol.

WiiU sells 10k a week. For it to close the 300k disparity, PS4 will have to sell like 2k-3k a week for the rest of the year.

The Wii U is also going to have software released this year with the abiity to possibly cause hardware spikes - at the very least, Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors should do this.

How many titles does the PS4 have releasing this year likely to do that?

The Wii U is also going to have software released this year with the abiity to possibly cause hardware spikes - at the very least, Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors should do this.

How many titles does the PS4 have releasing this year likely to do that?

Oh really and what massive hardware peaks will those titles induce. Just lol at Hyrule Warriors ;)

Lets be real. PS4 will have holiday bumps and will at least sell on par of the WiiU 10k a week till the holiday season. WiiU is not going to make up the 300k deficit exactly when?

Oh really and what massive hardware peaks will those titles induce. Just lol at Hyrule Warriors ;)

Lets be real. PS4 will have holiday bumps and will at least sell on par of the WiiU 10k a week till the holiday season. WiiU is not going to make up the 300k deficit exactly when?

Musou games sell. PS4 holiday bumps will not be large unless there are big games on the horizon. Are there? I've yet to see one with a firm 2014 release date.

Top Bottom