• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2014 (Mar 17 - Mar 23)

Why did this argument just switch to LTD? Wasn't it about the PS4's YTD vs Wii U's YTD?

because it's easier to win the argument when you switch the point of discussion
bonus irony points because we're talking about something like going from a 95% chance-->100% chance in the first place

I'm not sure why he's going so hard on it anyway unless it's a fanboyish thing

I mean it's not like I said it was going to happen, just that it was now a possibility. Six weeks ago I would have said it was impossible. It's not a good thing that it's now possible as it speaks badly for the future of console gaming in Japan.

Busaiku

sörine;105864068 said:
On the other hand Wii U is really the only system with more than one surefire significant userbase driver in 2014 though. That can always change but so far Vita, 3DS and even PS4 are only getting more of what they already have for the most part.

Super Smash Bros is a first for 3DS, or any handheld.
It could definitely be a system seller.

Tomohawk

I think the Wii U's LTD beating the PS4's LTD is never going to happen. Not a chance at all.

The Wii U's YTD has a small chance at beating PS4's YTD but that just is dependent on how much can the hardware be boosted by Mario Kart and Smash and how long that effect will last. I think it will boost the hardware by a good amount, but that effect won't last very long.

It also depends on how low the PS4 will go and whether the boost can make up for the PS4's 300K+ lead due to the launch weeks.

I think it depends on if wii u gets a monster hunter 4 version, then i think its safe to say the YTD would be PS4's YTD.

Youkai Watch

Firtst Week: 52.901
This Week: 49.799

Golden Week will be interesting!

27./19. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 5.629 / 3.424.428 <80-100%> (+13%)

Retail + Digital: 3,705,761

Officially over 3.7 million! Announcing MH4G was actually a pretty good idea, slé.

ibcgMD6Tw0RXVn.gif

sörine

Banned
Super Smash Bros is a first for 3DS, or any handheld.
It could definitely be a system seller.
That would be one. :p

Although I'm sure there are additional big "more of the same" releases that will move some hardware too on 3DS/Vita/PS4 like MH4G or PS Nova. Wii U is the only one with more than one "first for the franchise" releases though in Smash Bros and Mario Kart.

So, what games are coming out this year that will keep the ps4 out of the toilet, or are you entirely banking on everything nintendo put out not having a significant impact on their h/w?

I've already showed you the numbers. PS4 would have to do 2-3k a week for WiiU to gain that deficit throughout the year. I can't see the PS4 holiday being so bad and the WiiU's being so good that there will be a difference of 200k or so.

Also its silly to think we know the entire 2014 lineup of any console at this point in time.

Interesting results this week

Seems to be bumps for most? Don't quite understand why there seems to be a significant discrepancy between the hardware numbers from Media Create and Famitsu but I guess Media Create are the obvious first choice.

Wonder if Vita will outsell 3DS via Media Create next week at this rate.

PS4 is interesting. Ground Zeroes is going to be the biggest release for it in Japan for well until something is announced at this point. Media Create numbers paint it barely holding on with MGS's release while Famitsu posts at least a 5K bump. Next week will be more telling

Also find that BF4 digital sales on PS4 interesting to be honest, not to mention the crazy Terraria digital number

Looking back at Golden Week last year, Wii U sales doubled 11K to 22K. Vita decreased and PSP was flat despite them both having new titles that debuted better than the new Wii U title Dragon Quest X.

I wonder if there's any credence to the idea that people would buy home consoles in that period since they're taking vacation? I'm assuming so. On top of the consumption tax increasing, I agree it should be an interesting week. PS4 should hopefully get a good bump, otherwise I'll be concerned for the rest of its year. Too bad FF XIV: ARR isn't launching this week too.

DaBoss

I think it depends on if wii u gets a monster hunter 4 version, then i think its safe to say the YTD would be PS4's YTD.
I think you're giving too much credit to a home console MH. It may move some hardware, but not as much as a portable entry or other home console games.
Officially over 3.7 million! Announcing MH4G was actually a pretty good idea, slé.
slé....................slé......................SLÉ.............

What the fuck.....?
Also its silly to think we know the entire 2014 lineup of any console at this point in time.
It's silly to think we know the entire lineup of any console at any point time in its active life cycle, but why give the benefit of the doubt? Let's not rely on "secret games" to determine the potential of a console's sales lol.
Looking back at Golden Week last year, Wii U sales doubled 11K to 22K. Vita decreased and PSP was flat despite them both having new titles that debuted better than the new Wii U title Dragon Quest X.

I wonder if there's any credence to the idea that people would buy home consoles in that period since they're taking vacation? I'm assuming so. On top of the consumption tax increasing, I agree it should be an interesting week. PS4 should hopefully get a good bump, otherwise I'll be concerned for the rest of its year. Too bad FF XIV: ARR isn't launching this week too.
Dragon Quest X and Game and Wario launched for the Wii U that week.

I should really read the whole post lol. I don't think there is a precedence set.

We don't - certainly not from Nintendo as we all know so well, but sony is more reliant on 3rd parties who generally announce earlier - as with Persona 5. We'll find out more at E3, but Sony certainly have nothing appreciable coming out till autumn, and there's no buzz for secret projects from the first party SCEJ studios.

sörine

Banned

DQX Wii U was an anomaly as it did much better digitally thanks to the upgrade promotion. You can expect something similar for FFXIV PS4.

Dragon Quest X and Game and Wario launched for the Wii U that week.

I should really read the whole post lol. I don't think there is a precedence set.

DQX tanked the next week and fell behind. That's why I assumed it was the major system driver for the week.

sörine;105871568 said:
DQX Wii U was an anomaly as it did much better digitally thanks to the upgrade promotion. You can expect something similar for FFXIV PS4.

Not sure what you mean. FFXIV will do very well digitally? Are you implying anything about PS4 sales because of the launch?

Faustek

sörine;105871568 said:

From nowhere I know but was DQX the only "modern/remake" of a main game that didn't break 1m? Anyone knows?

Haines

Banned
Sony has to be happy with vita numbers and its gotta be making ninth a tad nervous now which hopefully means more quality Nintendo like lttp2

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
sörine;105863315 said:
It's a dumb strategy and one Nintendo themselves isn't even following (Smash Bros.). Neither Zelda or Musou can move systems these days and there's little hope this game will lead to more Musou on Wii U either. Tecmo Koei's only hurting themselves by not having the game on 3DS.

If you want to discount Multi-raid then the franchise high on PSP was still well over 200k.

We'll have to see about SW4 but so far no Vita Musou has more than doubled it's launch week except the launch game. Given sales of the other games it seems like the ceiling will be closer to 80k retail.

Aren't Gundam Musou games the best selling Musou games in Japan these days? The Zelda cross-over might be novel enough to kind of work. It also definitely peaked the interest of the Western audience, which generally doesn't pay attention at all to Musou games. The fact that it's even showing up fairly high on Famitsu's most wanted games makes me think it might not do too terribly. I think it could outsell Bayo 2 for what that's worth.

I've already showed you the numbers. PS4 would have to do 2-3k a week for WiiU to gain that deficit throughout the year. I can't see the PS4 holiday being so bad and the WiiU's being so good that there will be a difference of 200k or so.

The Wii U does have the slight possibility of outselling the PS4 YTD imo. It's not likely but you have to realize that last year, Nintendo sold around half of their YTD in Nov/December. In a year where very few big Nintendo titles came out (3D World & Pikmin 3), Nintendo sold 880K Wii Us. You really think Nintendo will sell fewer Wii Us this year with both Mario Kart & Smash?

Sony's holiday bump is always far more limited compared to Nintendo's. Instead Sony consoles sell more consistently over time. Thus I'd say the # for the PS4 to beat is around 1m.

If the PS4 sells on average 13.3K a week for the rest of the year, it'll likely outsell the Wii U (aka pass 1m). However at this point, we pretty much have 0 future Japanese oriented games to point to, and the console currently is relying entirely on the West. Like you said, that could change, but until then we can't make any assumptions.

It's silly to think we know the entire lineup of any console at any point time in its active life cycle, but why give the benefit of the doubt? Let's not rely on "secret games" to determine the potential of a console's sales lol.

What are you one about? Its plain stupid to think you know the entire lineup for the year of a console when its the beginning of April.

The Wii U does have the slight possibility of outselling the PS4 YTD imo. It's not likely but you have to realize that last year, Nintendo sold around half of their YTD in Nov/December. In a year where very few big Nintendo titles came out (3D World & Pikmin 3), Nintendo sold 880K Wii Us. You really think Nintendo will sell fewer Wii Us this year with both Mario Kart & Smash?

Sony's holiday bump is always far more limited compared to Nintendo's. Instead Sony consoles sell more consistently over time. Thus I'd say the # for the PS4 to beat is around 1m.

If the PS4 sells on average 13.3K a week for the rest of the year, it'll likely outsell the Wii U (aka pass 1m). However at this point, we pretty much have 0 future Japanese oriented games to point to, and the console currently is relying entirely on the West. Like you said, that could change, but until then we can't make any assumptions.

Very small chance. Entirely depends on how well the PS4 does in the coming weeks and holiday.

Tripon

What are you one about? Its plain stupid to think you know the entire lineup for the year of a console when its the beginning of April.

Very small chance. Entirely depends on how well the PS4 does in the coming weeks and holiday.
Its also dumb to think an unannounced game releasing in 2015 or 2016 will affect 2014 sales.

Sputtid

Banned

He/She only said that we can't really base predictions on unannounced games. We struggle to foretell mid-term sales even when the release schedule is set in stone, let alone when it isn't.

I actually don't think Wii U will be up significantly YTD, for the record.

You mean that Wii U won't sell much more this year than last in total?

It did sell like 900K last year and appears to be fairly behind relatively

Mario Kart and Smash are big games but I don't particularly think they'll move incredible numbers of Wii U.

Its also dumb to think an unannounced game releasing in 2015 or 2016 will affect 2014 sales.

so.....who said that?

He/She only said that we can't really base predictions on unannounced games. We struggle to foretell mid-term sales even when the release schedule is set in stone, let alone when it isn't.

No shit you can't base predictions of unannounced games. Doesn't mean we make the assumption that there no games coming, that would be equally stupid.

Sputtid

Banned
No shit you can't base predictions of unannounced games. Doesn't mean we make the assumption that there no games coming, that would be equally stupid.

Who are you arguing with? DaBoss didn't state games won't be coming, just that we can't give the benefit of the doubt and predict based on unannounced games.

Jamix012

I actually don't think Wii U will be up significantly YTD, for the record.

Eh, I think we'll see more than a 10% increase in Japan due to the "heavy hitters." Would still be a disaster. I think it's bigger increases will come from the west actually. Wii U will probably be up YoY this year worldwide by something like 15% I think.

sörine

Banned
Not sure what you mean. FFXIV will do very well digitally? Are you implying anything about PS4 sales because of the launch?
I'm just saying it's going to move the majority of it's copies digitally like DQX Wii U did. Neither game is much of a userbase driver.

Who are you arguing with? DaBoss didn't state games won't be coming, just that we can't give the benefit of the doubt and predict based on unannounced games.

The phrase benefit of doubt implies that you have doubt that there will be 0 new announced games for the PS4 or titles for 2014. I made no prediction based on unannounced games unless you think the PS4 will struggle to sell 10k a week without any games.

There is no benefit of doubt. I am 100% certain that we do not know the PS4 holiday lineup for 2014 lol.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Funny how beating uber-failure Wii U for ytd has now become a reasonable target for ps4 in Japan, even an uncertain one.

Darius

Banned
Funny how beating uber-failure Wii U for ytd has now become a reasonable target for ps4 in Japan, even an uncertain one.

not really that surprising, due to its sales and uncertain lineup.

Wii U (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - LD: December 8th, 2012
308.570| 308.570
130.653| 439.223
122.356| 561.579
76.760| 638.339
70.662| 709.001

PS4 LD: (¥41.979) - February 22nd, 2014
322.083| 322.083
52.697| 374.780
30.766| 405.546
28.864| 434.410
33.341| 467.751

Sputtid

Banned
The phrase benefit of doubt implies that you have doubt that there will be 0 new announced games for the PS4 or titles for 2014. I made no prediction based on unannounced games unless you think the PS4 will struggle to sell 10k a week without any games.

There is no benefit of doubt. I am 100% certain that we do not know the PS4 holiday lineup for 2014 lol.

Then we interpret it differently. Let's leave it at that.
And for the record, I didn't imply you made baseless predictions, just that DaBoss only stated that we can't do that. I am 100% certain there can either be none or a shitload of japanese system-sellers this holiday.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Considering how well it's selling everywhere else in the world, I'm sure Sony is taking anything they can get from Japanese sales as a bonus.

SmokyDave

I dunno, man. I feel like the cats that expected wild PS4 success in Japan were in the minority. Seems plainly obvious that Japan is a post-console market.

Personally I expect the Wii U to improve on last year, but perhaps not to the point where it beats the PS4 this year. Give 'em both a level start and it could easily go either way.

I love that the Vita is now doing so well. It makes a mockery of the know it alls who called it "dead" only a few months ago and who are now calling other consoles "dead" :).

AdanVC

Japan sure loves party games a lot. So happy to see that Wii U bump. Let's see if the upcoming bundle, Just Dance game and GBA VC games can improve those numbers. Vita and 3DS doing great! Take that mobile phone gaming!

so do we actually expect mh4g to do even better than 4 and boost hardware? everyone who wants mh probably already have a 3ds solely for it

Kid Ying

You mean that Wii U won't sell much more this year than last in total?

It did sell like 900K last year and appears to be fairly behind relatively

Mario Kart and Smash are big games but I don't particularly think they'll move incredible numbers of Wii U.
They dont even need too. Just moving a fair amount for a while would already doo the trick. Wiiu is doing bad, but if it mantains what is doing with some bumps here and there it will already surpass last year thanks to a lot of bad weeks. From april to may Wii u had a lot of bad weeks on the 5k level till pikmin came. If nintendo manage to have 10k by that time, its already enough to double and take that advantage from last year.

I think wiiu will have a bigger ytd for certain. It will all depends on nintendo to see how much bigger it is.

I hate reading too much into weekly sales but watching WiiU here is so interesting. I am almost looking forward more to seeing how Mario Kart 8 and SSB affect WiiU's fortunes than playing them.

They dont even need too. Just moving a fair amount for a while would already doo the trick. Wiiu is doing bad, but if it mantains what is doing with some bumps here and there it will already surpass last year thanks to a lot of bad weeks. From april to may Wii u had a lot of bad weeks on the 5k level till pikmin came. If nintendo manage to have 10k by that time, its already enough to double and take that advantage from last year.

I think wiiu will have a bigger ytd for certain. It will all depends on nintendo to see how much bigger it is.

Certainly possible. And both games will move units. Perhaps the best results might be simply raising the Wii U weekly baseline a bit as that in its self might be enough to do it

Top Bottom