• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2014 (Mar 17 - Mar 23)

Kid Ying

Oh really and what massive hardware peaks will those titles induce. Just lol at Hyrule Warriors ;)

Lets be real. PS4 will have holiday bumps and will at least sell on par of the WiiU 10k a week till the holiday season. WiiU is not going to make up the 300k deficit exactly when?
I dont believe wiiu will oversell the ps4 this year at all. The only chance for it is if kart really turn things up for a long time... And even then its doubtful.

The wiiu will certainly sell more than the ps4 in some weeks though. Probably holidays too depending on how smash will gathee attention, but thats about it. That 300k is a gap too much bigger to pass (and it will keep rising, since the ps4 wont keep this pace for a long time, but it will also take a lot of time to be on the wiiu 10k league).

Kid Ying

I also think that Zelda musou hás a little chance of doing well. Its an exclusive game and although the musou audience was never that big on nintendo consoles, samurai 3 did Alright for what it was(where the xtreme one did much worse because it was also on the ps3). Of course it was the Wii, but we dont know if theres an overlap audience between the two consoles that want to play the exclusive ones.

Of course, that was the Wii and this is the U, so by doing well im saying 100k ltd.

Busaiku

Otaku seem to be shifting from PS3 to Vita quite quickly.

Not that this isn't true, but a game with the most popular Weekly Jump series isn't exactly an obscure thing. It would probably be more popular among kids rather than adults.

sörine;105857132 said:
Zelda Musou should really be on 3DS too.

Man, I'm not even so sure where it should be. Nintendo pumped out the heavy hitters on the 3DS last year and the result was pretty negligible. Obviously the WiiU is a disaster, but I'd say Nintendo has more of a chance of building an identity for WiiU and recovering from its black hole status than trying to get the 3DS back into beast mode. Zelda Musou's not the game to do it, but it's a step (of many dozen required...).

Bruno MB

Digital Sales - February 2014 (2014.02.03 - 2014.03.02)

01. [PSV] Terraria (Spike Chunsoft) - 29.800 (54,3%)
02. [PS4] Battlefield 4 (Electronic Arts) - 6.216 (13,2%)
03. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi (Square Enix) - 5.309 (0,8%)
04. [PS3] Diablo III (Square Enix) - 4.654 (13,6%)
05. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe (Nintendo) - 4.450 (4,9%)
06. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch (Level 5) - 4.217 (3,4%)
07. [PSV] Kagero: Darkside Princess (Koei Tecmo) - 4.132 (18,6%)
08. [3DS] Puyo Puyo Tetris (Sega) - 3.928 (5,3%)
09. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z (GungHo Online Entertainment) - 3.555 (6,6%)
10. [PSV] Super Heroine Chronicle (Bandai Namco Games) - 2.787 (11,0%)

[PSV] Terraria <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2014.02.06} (¥2.980) - 25.061 (29.800) / 54.861

As a curiosity, 346 people bought Knack digitally, at that time the only available PS4 system was the First Limited Pack which included a code to download Knack.

By the way, this is not an overall top 10 digital sales for the month of February. Famitsu every month compile a list of the 30 best-selling games combining physical and digital sales. These were the 10 games with the highest digital sales inside that top 30.

Not that this isn't true, but a game with the most popular Weekly Jump series isn't exactly an obscure thing. It would probably be more popular among kids rather than adults.

Yeah don't know why he's calling them otaku. Just because you watch anime doesn't make you an otaku lol

Spiegel

sörine;105854684 said:
SW4 did terrible overall but that Vita figure is really low for a mainline game. For all the Musou that Tecmo Koei's been showering Vita with it really doesn't seem to have made enough impact with transitioning the fanbase. The over-investment in Vita isn't paying off like it should.

I'm sure Koei doesn't intend to transition the fanbase to Vita.

The 80-130k LTD sales of musou games on Vita are a nice sales bonus with little investment in addition to the PS3 releases.

It's not like musou games did much better on PSP.

Assault

Freak incident called "Monster Hunter Portable" wouldn't happen twice.

I really think we'll see Monster Hunter Portable 4th on Vita in 2015. Usually the 'G' version rounds out each MH generation, but I do think that 2015 is too early to be thinking about MH5 - the gap between MH3 and 4 was four years.

Apart from a Vita port, what else could they release?

(I don't know if there is some exclusivity deal between Nintendo and Capcom, so don't hate).

DaBoss

lol at people buying Knack digitally.
Maac8Lo.jpg

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} - 608.103
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch (Digital Sales) <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} - 12.110
Wow.
Apart from a Vita port, what else could they release?
Home console port.

sörine

Banned
Man, I'm not even so sure where it should be. Nintendo pumped out the heavy hitters on the 3DS last year and the result was pretty negligible. Obviously the WiiU is a disaster, but I'd say Nintendo has more of a chance of building an identity for WiiU and recovering from its black hole status than trying to get the 3DS back into beast mode. Zelda Musou's not the game to do it, but it's a step (of many dozen required...).
Zelda Musou isn't going to be a hardware driver anywhere (as neither Zelda nor Musou are hardware drivers anywhere) but on 3DS it at least has a chance to not do terrible. On Wii U alone it's doomed.

3DS, Vita, Wii U and PS4 all launched with Musou games and 3DS had the only one that didn't flop. So now 3DS is the only platform not getting any more. Way to go Tecmo Koei.

AmanoBuff

Digital Sales - February 2014 (2014.02.03 - 2014.03.02)

01. [PSV] Terraria (Spike Chunsoft) - 29.800 (54,3%)

Impressive. Could this mean that one of the main factors Japanese digital sales are so low (when compared with the west at least) is because of big game sizes? (Terraria is about only 30MB).

Also, #20V1T4

Faustek

Wait wait, didn't a 3DS limited Love-Otaku bait-Love edition release? Thought that was popular. Anyway, glad go see Dave happy.

Ifbghe Champagne haven't decked you yet Dave can you with one word describe the emotioöööns going through you?

DaBoss

Hyrule Warriors is intended more for the west rather than Japan. Koei gets the benefit of using the Zelda IP. It will probably do better than WW HD in Japan.

Busaiku

Wait wait, didn't a 3DS limited Love-Otaku bait-Love edition release? Thought that was popular. Anyway, glad go see Dave happy.

Ifbghe Champagne haven't decked you yet Dave can you with one word describe the emotioöööns going through you?

No, that's coming out this week (tomorrow).
It will be interesting how 3DS and Vita do next week.

Vita's getting a bunch of games, but 3DS is getting a bunch of bundles/hardware.

Darius

Banned
Is PS4 still tracking behind Wii U?

First five weeks of the most recent system launches

3DS (¥25.000) - LD: February 26th, 2011*
374.764| 374.764
209.623| 584.387
96.463| 680.850
61.394| 742.244
51.095| 793.339

PSV (¥24.980 / ¥29.980) - LD: December 17th, 2011*
324.859| 324.859
72.479| 397.338
42.648| 439.986
42.915| 482.901
18.361| 501.262

Wii U (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - LD: December 8th, 2012
308.570| 308.570
130.653| 439.223
122.356| 561.579
76.760| 638.339
70.662| 709.001

PS4 LD: (¥41.979) - February 22nd, 2014
322.083| 322.083
52.697| 374.780
30.766| 405.546
28.864| 434.410
33.341| 467.751

sörine;105858371 said:
Zelda Musou isn't going to be a hardware driver anywhere (as neither Zelda nor Musou are hardware drivers anywhere) but on 3DS it at least has a chance to not do terrible. On Wii U alone it's doomed.

3DS, Vita, Wii U and PS4 all launched with Musou games and 3DS had the only one that didn't flop. So now 3DS is the only platform not getting any more. Way to go Tecmo Koei.

It's doomed on both platforms. Might as well stick it on the platform that needs games the most; the 3DS has games and it's still treading water.

hardcastlemccormick said:
Zelda Musou's not the game to do it, but it's a step (of many dozen required...).

I never said Zelda Musou was going to be a hardware driver.

Spiegel

Vita's getting a bunch of games, but 3DS is getting a bunch of bundles/hardware.

3DS will sell better.

As I said I don't get why Sony didn't bundle Vita with Jump and Samurai Warriors last week, and Project Diva this week.

Easy 20-30k extra sales.

Really wonder what people end up doing with their Vitas. Software sales never hit great heights.

Would be nice if Samurai Warriors 4 made its way to the PS4 at some point. I'm having a great time with Dynasty Warriors 8.
Same with what they are doing with PS4's it seems. 1 in 4 did buy metal gear retail. tho

sörine

Banned

The 80-130k LTD sales of musou games on Vita are a nice sales bonus with little investment in addition to the PS3 releases.

Only two Musou games on Vita sold between 80-130k (actually 80-105k) and they were't even published by Tecmo Koei. The other 4 that they did publish sold 75k or less.

PSP Musou was all over the place but the high end was over 300k.

Faustek

Oho, OK OK. Anyway Nothing beats Miku, N.O.T.H.I.N.G! praise be to Miku

3DS will sell better.

As I said I don't get why Sony didn't bundle Vita with Jump and Samurai Warriors last week, and Project Diva this week.

Easy 20-30k extra sales.

praise be to Miku

But yes, stupid non move. Heck they should release special edition again....I don't want to pay €700 for a Vita :(

Not on WiiU lol

Give me some numbers dude. How big do you think these bumps will be. WiiU has a 300k+ deficit.

I have no idea because I didn't think the PS4 sales would be as dire as they have been. The market is changing to mobile-only faster then I suspected. Back in the wii days 300k would have been easily driven by the games nintendo has coming out. But with the way things are going now, Smash, Zelda Musou & Mazza Kart may well not hit that. However unless Sony have something big and unannounced for this year, I don't really see anything driving system sales upwards in significant quantities.

Hence why I said "I'm wondering". Because I am.

sörine;105860243 said:
You're missing the point, 3DS software isn't treading water. It's about how the game itself sells not how many systems it moves.

Can't sell software to customers who don't own your hardware. Nintendo's priorities should be in building up the WiiU into something that isn't an embarrassment. The benefit for the WiiU (assuming it's followed up with more software) should be valued higher than the extra hundred thousand copies of Zelda Musou get sold on 3DS (if it even could manage that).

I have no idea because I didn't think the PS4 sales would be as dire as they have been. The market is changing to mobile-only faster then I suspected. Back in the wii days 300k would have been easily driven by the games nintendo has coming out. But with the way things are going now, Smash, Zelda Musou & Mazza Kart may well not hit that. However unless Sony have something big and unannounced for this year, I don't really see anything driving system sales upwards in significant quantities.

Hence why I said "I'm wondering". Because I am.

Are you new to MC threads?

Spiegel

sörine;105859877 said:
Only two Musou games on Vita sold between 80-130k (actually 80-105k) and they were't even published by Tecmo Koei. The other 4 that they did publish sold 75k or less.

PSP Musou was all over the place but the high end was over 300k.

Technically, Dynasty Warriors Next sold 80k last we saw it.
But you are right, I was mainly talking about Shin Gundam Musou and One Piece Musou 2 (the latter most likely has shipped+PSN ~120-130k and that's why I gave that range).

Samurai Warriors shouldn't have much problem selling 90k at least (shipped + PSN), though

PSP Musou high end was Monster Hunter musou. It's not comparable because it sold mainly thanks to the novelty, as proven by how badly the second one tanked.

No. If you're suggesting it was called that PS4 sales would be in the toilet almost instantly by the majority of people, I'd like to see that.

I was expecting lower, I wasn't expecting next to nothing.

No. Its pretty clear to many here that WiiU has little to no chance in beating the PS4's LTD. Thats why.

No. Its pretty clear to many here that WiiU has little to no chance in beating the PS4's LTD. Thats why.

So, what games are coming out this year that will keep the ps4 out of the toilet, or are you entirely banking on everything nintendo put out not having a significant impact on their h/w?

sörine

Banned
Can't sell software to customers who don't own your hardware. Nintendo's priorities should be in building up the WiiU into something that isn't an embarrassment. The benefit for the WiiU (assuming it's followed up with more software) should be valued higher than the extra hundred thousand copies of Zelda Musou get sold on 3DS (if it even could manage that).
It's a dumb strategy and one Nintendo themselves isn't even following (Smash Bros.). Neither Zelda or Musou can move systems these days and there's little hope this game will lead to more Musou on Wii U either. Tecmo Koei's only hurting themselves by not having the game on 3DS.

Technically, Dynasty Warriors Next sold 80k last we saw it.
But you are right, I was mainly talking about Shin Gundam Musou and One Piece Musou 2 (the latter most likely has shipped+PSN ~120-130k and that's why I gave that range).

Samurai Warriors shouldn't have much problem selling 90k at least (shipped + PSN), though

PSP Musou high end was Monster Hunter musou. It's not comparable because it sold mainly thanks to the novelty, as proven by how badly the second one tanked.
If you want to discount Multi-raid then the franchise high on PSP was still well over 200k.

We'll have to see about SW4 but so far no Vita Musou has more than doubled it's launch week except the launch game. Given sales of the other games it seems like the ceiling will be closer to 80k retail.

sörine

Banned
Why did this argument just switch to LTD? Wasn't it about the PS4's YTD vs Wii U's YTD?
Yeah YTD is no chance. I think LTD is exceedingly unlikely but there's still at least a slim chance there.

On the other hand Wii U is really the only system with more than one surefire significant userbase driver in 2014 though. That can always change but so far Vita, 3DS and even PS4 are only getting more of what they already have for the most part.

DaBoss

I think the Wii U's LTD beating the PS4's LTD is never going to happen. Not a chance at all.

The Wii U's YTD has a small chance at beating PS4's YTD but that just is dependent on how much can the hardware be boosted by Mario Kart and Smash and how long that effect will last. I think it will boost the hardware by a good amount, but that effect won't last very long.

It also depends on how low the PS4 will go and whether the boost can make up for the PS4's 300K+ lead due to the launch weeks.
They're the same for the PS4 as it launched later in Japan then it did in the west.
Yea, I know that, but just odd to switch the words. It's like when people talk about Japanese sales and then go on to talk about worldwide sales. Why switch during the argument lol.

LTD means lifetime, while YTD means the year. I'm guessing Psycho_Mantis meant YTD, but used LTD since they are the same for now, like you said.

Darius

Banned

More than a bonus it looks more like the same pie beeing divided to several Sony systems, instead of increasing total sales they are actually just dividing a shrinking pie.

Top Bottom