• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2015 (Apr 13 - Apr 19)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks! So after Nintendo's earnings. Wonder if we'll hear some new details or if they'll stay as vague.

The impression I got out of the original announcement was that they basically had a loose framework for what they wanted to do set up by the time they signed the deal, so I'm not sure if they will actually be ready to share much even if they want to.

duckroll

When Nintendo and DeNA are prepared to announce further details about their service platforms and the first titles to be released for it, I'm sure they'll hold another press conference. It's a pretty big deal and not something they'll just drop as a note in an investor meeting.

Eolz

The impression I got out of the original announcement was that they basically had a loose framework for what they wanted to do set up by the time they signed the deal, so I'm not sure if they will actually be ready to share much even if they want to.

Oh ok, thought it was a bit more solid than that since they are planning to releasing the first game this year.

When Nintendo and DeNA are prepared to announce further details about their service platforms and the first titles to be released for it, I'm sure they'll hold another press conference. It's a pretty big deal and not something they'll just drop as a note in an investor meeting.

True, would make sense. But even if there's an investor question? For example, Iwata can't seem to stop giving more details (as vague as they are) to answer those questions.

True, but the game is entering its 4th year on the market and even with stronger competition (Monster Striker etc.)its still pretty much making as much money per day as the market allows for a single app.

While much further growth shouldnt be expected at this point - "stable" should be enough with the Return on investment they get from PaD. They still have time to work and present their "next big thing".
We know the PAD roguelike dungeons are getting delayed, and last year's PADW completely flopped. Seems like they're having trouble expanding breadth.

Mixi's Monster Stadium (PvP version of Monster Strike) also just came out: https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/monsutosutajiamu/

You can tell it's a new game because instead of just not-Charmander, the icon also has not-Bulbasaur..
is this an actual new game or just an event for them to run at roadshows like the NES / SNES carnival games of yore?

Meier

Wow. Thats very low for Puzzle & Dragons i see there.T_T If only Gung-Ho release this game earlier last year rather than this point of time when Puzzle Dragoon is moar powerful.

I think it will be pretty successful here in the US (probably the West in general) due to the Mario inclusion. I've never played the phone game but intend to buy the 3DS game.

duckroll

As a consumer, that makes me really confident putting any money into their future mobile games.

I just checked, and tri-Ace did a crappy browser game way back and it was canned really quickly too. Started service in Dec 2011, ended in April 2012. Lol.

Their Vita F2P game Judas Code is still running after 8 months though, so I wonder how long more that has before it dies. Not the best track record!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's very early days, but things are looking promising for Sega's Hortensia Saga. This one is somewhat like an evolution of Chain Chronicle to my understanding so it has some strong potential.

segazgo7r.png

We know the PAD roguelike dungeons are getting delayed, and last year's PADW completely flopped. Seems like they're having trouble expanding breadth.

is this an actual new game or just an event for them to run at roadshows like the NES / SNES carnival games of yore?

It's a separate app that's topping the download charts currently.

Hasn't been out long enough to show up on the grossing chart.

Their Vita F2P game Judas Code is still running after 8 months though, so I wonder how long more that has before it dies. Not the best track record!
Shut down date has already been announced:

Judas Code launched service on August 21st of last year, and will end on July 2, 2015. “Due to the difficulty of maintaining a service that can satisfy customers, we hereby decided on this conclusion,” tri-Ace wrote on the official website.

duckroll

Shut down date has already been announced:

Roflmao! I missed that.

So tri-Ace has done 3 service games over the years, on 3 different platforms (browser, Vita, mobile), and they're all failed to last a year. The browser game lasted 4 months, the Vita game lasted 11 months, and the mobile game lasted 3 months. Amazing track record for a developer who was just bought by a mobile services company. Lol.

casiopao

It's very early days, but things are looking promising for Sega's Hortensia Saga. This one is somewhat like an evolution of Chain Chronicle to my understanding so it has some strong potential.

segazgo7r.png

It's a separate app that's topping the download charts currently.

Hasn't been out long enough to show up on the grossing chart.

It is actually quite a great game.^_^ I have been quite addicted with the game and just today, they had the first maintenance to make the game more stable and of course adding more SSR card to collect.^_^

The fact that the game actually had huge lore and character with their each story which develop much much more than normal smartphone also help i believe.^_^

FluxWaveZ

PREDICTION LEAGUE MAY 2015

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Apr 27 to May 31):
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 666,666
[WIU] Xenoblade X (33 days) - 143,333
[WII+WIU] Dragon Quest X Version 3 (32 days) - 202,123
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 125,012
[PS4+XBO] The Witcher 3 (11 days) - 41,333
[3DS] Hatsune Miku Project Mirai Deluxe (4 days) - 56,222
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 71,070

It's a PVP version of the game where you can import your monsters from the main game to it.

So its kinda pointless without playing the main game and I'm guessing you get rewards that you can transfer back to the main game.

Huh, I should look into it. Gives me something to do while Chain Chronicle is borked due to the new app update.

------------------------------------------------------

On GungHo, I'm still surprised they never tried releasing Divine Gate worldwide. It's still making money for them, probably not as much as PAD of course, but they can't expect to live off one game forever.

casiopao

It's a PVP version of the game where you can import your monsters from the main game to it.

So its kinda pointless without playing the main game and I'm guessing you get rewards that you can transfer back to the main game.

Huh, I should look into it. Gives me something to do while Chain Chronicle is borked due to the new app update.

------------------------------------------------------

On GungHo, I'm still surprised they never tried releasing Divine Gate worldwide. It's still making money for them, probably not as much as PAD of course, but they can't expect to live off one game forever.

Hortensia is great product there.^_^ It actually feels that it had tons of budget.^_^ It had big VA like Sugita for one of the older chara.^_^

They are also uses Criware for the game which is why i think the game looks quite nice.^_^

One biggest weakness i feel is that the game is better played on Tablet as on smartphone, it eat up battery faster than Shironeko and render my stamina mode fail.T_T

GH USA appears to be a sparsely staffed shell corporation so I'm not sure they even have the resources to support a second mobage, much less one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Warner had some notes about how the Top 50 on mobile looks in the West:

"You can make a lot of money at number 20, and, by the way, two years ago that wasn't the case," Ballard continues. "Two years ago we were much more concerned about the rigidity at the top of the charts. There just wasn't that much money being made at numbers 10 through 20. Today, there's money to be made even as a top 50 title. It's a very robust market. It's no longer winner take all. It's winner take a lot, but not all."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...teractive-mobile-is-no-longer-winner-take-all

Keep in mind that Japan is actually a bigger mobile market than the US (in raw size, not even proportionally), and that this is from the perspective of a company the size of Warner Bros.

Was P&D:W ever actually released as a separate app?
It was always intended to be integrated with the main game, and magic stones were shared between the two.

Keep in mind that Japan is actually a bigger mobile market than the US (in raw size, not even proportionally), and that this is from the perspective of a company the size of Warner Bros.
GungHo still saying they're making profit from most of their games, and PAD aside their games float between 30~200 depending on whatever whalebait event is currently running. Maybe we could use these server shutdown announcements to attempt to correlate what rank in top grossing corresponds to profitability.

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 555k
[WIU] Xenoblade X (33 days) - 132k
[WII+WIU] Dragon Quest X Version 3 (32 days) - 164k
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 101k
[PS4+XBO] The Witcher 3 (11 days) - 35k
[3DS] Hatsune Miku Project Mirai Deluxe (4 days) - 65k
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 55k

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw Mpl, do you have final comgnet preorder #s for Wii U titles? I'm wondering how Xeno & DQX stack up against those.

Btw Mpl, do you have final comgnet preorder #s for Wii U titles? I'm wondering how Xeno & DQX stack up against those.

not Mpl90 coming through for Xenoblade Chronicles X:

[Wii] Xenoblade Chronicles - 72pt
[WiiU] Xenoblade Chronicles X - 69pt

actually, how does Mpl90 get old Comgnet points anyway? :p

edit: wait you mean other Wii U titles? uh....

Road

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 444,444
[WIU] Xenoblade X (33 days) - 111,111
[WII+WIU] Dragon Quest X Version 3 (32 days) - 111,111
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 44,444
[PS4+XBO] The Witcher 3 (11 days) - 44,444
[3DS] Hatsune Miku Project Mirai Deluxe (4 days) - 111,111
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 44,444

view.php

sörine

Banned

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 445,983
[WIU] Xenoblade X (33 days) - 121,787
[WII+WIU] Dragon Quest X Version 3 (32 days) - 158,718
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 56,411
[PS4+XBO] The Witcher 3 (11 days) - 63,699
[3DS] Hatsune Miku Project Mirai Deluxe (4 days) - 78,551
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 41,365

random25

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 500,000
[WIU] Xenoblade X (33 days) - 150,000
[WII+WIU] Dragon Quest X Version 3 (32 days) - 150,000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 50,000
[PS4+XBO] The Witcher 3 (11 days) - 30,000
[3DS] Hatsune Miku Project Mirai Deluxe (4 days) - 120,000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 80,000

BigMM

Neo Member
Numbers will be in today despite the holiday? I think BS will do better than expected. But I suck at prediction.

XDDX

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 380,000
[WIU] Xenoblade X (33 days) - 117,777
[WII+WIU] Dragon Quest X Version 3 (32 days) - 151,000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 40,000
[PS4+XBO] The Witcher 3 (11 days) - 52,000
[3DS] Hatsune Miku Project Mirai Deluxe (4 days) - 70,000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 51,111

Warner had some notes about how the Top 50 on mobile looks in the West:

This is quite obvious since the market has grown and there much more smart devices around now (only Apple sold 60m iPhone in the last quarter, on top of the expansion Android devices experienced in the last couple of years). Given the increase of competition, it is still more or less a winner-takes-it-all situation, if we are talking about relative terms.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is quite obvious since the market has grown and there much more smart devices around now (only Apple sold 60m iPhone in the last quarter, on top of the expansion Android devices experienced in the last couple of years). Given the increase of competition, it is still more or less a winner-takes-it-all situation, if we are talking about relative terms.
Yes, I just meant it as part of a barometer for what chart positions might be worthwhile for major publishers.

hiska-kun

Numbers will be in today despite the holiday? I think BS will do better than expected. But I suck at prediction.

Today is a national Holiday, but not tomorrow.
Numbers will be released thursday 30th at 0:00 (japanese time).

7:30 hours left from now

Yes, I just meant it as part of a barometer for what chart positions might be worthwhile for major publishers.

I think it still bodes down to revenues...? Chart positions do not matter at the end as long as revenues are not worthwhile investments. Also note how much difficult has become to be in the top positions; companies are investing a lot in advertising.

L~A

4Gamer.net put a notice about this week numbers, but not Famitsu... very helpful :p

But yeah, I don't get why 4Gamer.net aren't publishing the numbers at the usual time... I mean, they already have the article written and all, and I doubt they have a journalist that'll go at the office to press the button at exactly midnight.

Anyway, hope both 4Gamer.net and Famitsu put a notice for next week' numbers. Now that one will be more tricky.

Hitsukara

Neo Member

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 400.000
[WIU] Xenoblade X (33 days) - 125.000
[WII+WIU] Dragon Quest X Version 3 (32 days) - 195.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 50.000
[PS4+XBO] The Witcher 3 (11 days) - 55.000
[3DS] Hatsune Miku Project Mirai Deluxe (4 days) - 80.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 55.000

Oregano

I think it still bodes down to revenues...? Chart positions do not matter at the end as long as revenues are not worthwhile investments. Also note how much difficult has become to be in the top positions; companies are investing a lot in advertising.

But that is exactly what the guy is saying. #20 wasn't a money maker two years ago but it is now, thus revenue is higher. As for how much companies are aiming to get dat Clash of Clans money it's exactly the same with the AAA console space.

L~A

Looks like analysts are expecting better results for Nintendo, thanks to the New 3DS launch in EU/NA, but also the exchange rates for the Yen.

Maybe someone could translate, financials already give me headaches in English so in Japanese...

(Source is Nikkei, but it's apparently a subscription-only article).

Looks like analysts are expecting better results for Nintendo, thanks to the New 3DS launch in EU/NA, but also the exchange rates for the Yen.

Maybe someone could translate, financials already give me headaches in English so in Japanese...

(Source is Nikkei, but it's apparently a subscription-only article).

Previous prediction -> new prediction (from Nintendo, not analysts)

Net sales: 550 billion ¥ -> same
Operating income: 20 billion ¥ -> 25 billion ¥
Net income: 30 billion ¥ -> same

Top Bottom