• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2015 (Apr 20 - Apr 26)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The driving factor is everything was lower budget.
Marketing was lesser... considering BD had nearly no marketing.
How can a publisher expect growth for a title that had no marketing and sold in spite of them ?

BD sold nearly a million WW and 300k in Japan. Instead of giving it a bigger budget, they did the opposite: smaller budget.

Honestly I think you could take the exact same sequel and have five times the marketing and it really wouldn't see all that much of a boost, especially compared to the expenditure.

Marketing is about getting people to look at a product in the first place to see if they want it, but the product actually has to have lots of appeal in the end. If marketing was a magical salve to everyone's problems, we'd all be using Windows Phones.

Honestly I think you could take the exact same sequel and have five times the marketing and it really wouldn't see all that much of a boost, especially compared to the expenditure.

Marketing is about getting people to look at a product in the first place to see if they want it, but the product actually has to have lots of appeal in the end. If marketing was a magical salve to everyone's problems, we'd all be using Windows Phones.

Oh you're right. But when I insist on budget though !
Both budgets were lower ! I mean, at least, you could have seen them making the game budget lower but marketing budget higher. But both seemed to have been lower and see less investment from SE.

The driving factor is everything was lower budget.
Marketing was lesser... considering BD had nearly no marketing.
How can a publisher expect growth for a title that had no marketing and sold in spite of them ?

BD sold nearly a million WW and 300k in Japan. Instead of giving it a bigger budget, they did the opposite: smaller budget.

First one sold on FF nostalgia
Second one is selling on first one quality.

Somnid

It's disappointing how Square has treated BD. They could easily have grown it into something bigger but they more or less smothered it. Hopefully the reduced budget means the reduced sales aren't too much of a problem, but even if it did great like BD it seems SE would still kill it eventually.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Minecraft is a real powerhouse even in Japan. They might have taken their time with a retail release for the Vita, but it still has amazing legs.

Its kinda interesting to see shops that have a kiosk set up running minecraft usually has someone messing with it lol.

First one sold on FF nostalgia
Second one is selling on first one quality.

It's funny because SQEX tried to sell 4WoL on FF nostalgia but it barely managed to crack 200k units.

BD sold well also because it was an interesting RPG with some more appeal than "generic RPG number 3".

QaaQer

Not every publisher makes sense.
Why would you give less budget and less marketing for a new IP that could see growth ?

Traditional handheld 3rd party franchises that have niche appeal have limited upside, so that money and expertise might be put to better use elsewhere. Traditional handheld 3rd party upside maximum is Monster Hunter; phone max upside is PvD/Candy Crush. PvD>>>>>>>>>>MonHun.

I have no idea if that is the case though, just thinking out loud about why BD2 might be a budget production. SE might just be cheap.

L~A

Media Create:

PS4 20,112
Vita 15,467
New3DS LL 13,981
Wii U 7,210
New3DS 5,329
PS3 4,248
3DS LL 1,253
3DS 1,095
Vita TV 558
Xbox One 201

100k for Bravely Second.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Both budgets were lower ! I mean, at least, you could have seen them making the game budget lower but marketing budget higher. But both seemed to have been lower and see less investment from SE.

I don't doubt the marketing budget was somewhat lower, since given the product in question they presumably expected less sales, and set the advertising as X% of the expected sales (known as a run rate).

As for spend distribution though, I think the reverse would have made more sense. There's already an audience that would have looked at the game when it was announced because they played the first one, so by spending more on the game and less on the marketing, they could leverage the existing fanbase and word of mouth to help spread the message.

EA actually notably switched from a marketing heavy to development heavy budgeting pattern. Back around 2009 (and before) they'd spend 2-3 times as much on marketing as they would developing a game, feeling that it would be the most effective way to generate sales.

Later, they found spending vastly more money on the games and then much less on advertising worked a lot better for them, because the people who liked the previous games would already go out and look at the new games when they were announced. On top of that, since they had a giant database of 300+ million people who had played one of their games, and knew who bought what due to it, they could do low cost, high impact targeted marketing (I can dig up a lot more on the exacting implementation if you like, but this is the basic idea) for their customers based on their purchasing habits and interests.

Traditional handheld 3rd party franchises that have niche appeal have limited upside, so that money and expertise might be put to better use elsewhere. Traditional handheld 3rd party upside maximum is Monster Hunter; phone max upside is PvD/Candy Crush. PvD>>>>>>>>>>MonHun.

I have no idea if that is the case though, just thinking out loud about why BD2 might be a budget production. SE might just be cheap.

Niche appeal... BD sold almost 400k considering For the Sequel.

What exactly would be the rationale behind a reduced development budget and an increased promotional budget?

Eolz

Fair enough. Also interesting to know that it was mentioned in an interview, that is one reason why i asked. Do you know exactly what was mentioned?

I'm currently trying to find it back, but apart from what Robert said, you also have to keep in mind that when you outsource a game to a small studio, it's to keep development costs down (even more when it's a 3DS title instead of a console one).
In a "recent" Nikkei interview, S-E CEO also placed BD between mobile games and their AAA titles (including Lightning Returns). So it's probably not really low budget (there's still some production value, let's not do as if this was the Tales game on 3DS or Vita), but it certainly isn't the costs of something similar on console (B-tier) and even less than a AA/AAA.

Edit:
What exactly would be the rationale behind a reduced development budget and an increased promotional budget?

Bigger ROI? That's usually what happens with some markets and genres.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To continue from the previous thread:

I think it still bodes down to revenues...? Chart positions do not matter at the end as long as revenues are not worthwhile investments. Also note how much difficult has become to be in the top positions; companies are investing a lot in advertising.

I'm glad you brought this up. This is part of why so many more traditional publishers go heavily on to mobile in Japan than they do in the West.

In the West, usually only the publishers who own major mass market brands (usually more casual ones like The Sims or SimCity, but Mortal Kombat has had good success as well) go on to mobile as the cost of acquisition is vastly lower when people are eager to try games in those brands in the first place. It costs EA or Warner way, way less to get people to download a SimCity or Batman game than it does for Supercell to get someone to download Clash of Clans, since people already like SimCity and Batman, and have never heard of Clash of Clans before seeing a commercial for it.

Similarly, many of the top developers without a known brand - such as Kabam - end up licensing one instead. Marvel: Contest of Champions and The Hobbit make a lot more money and get a lot downloads compared to the company's original IPs, since they don't spend $20-$40 million on television marketing campaigns, and instead benefit off of the innate popularity of their licensed IPs (albeit having to give up a fair royalty in the process). This is part of why we've seen a notable resurgence of licensed games on mobile devices.

In Japan however, while brands can still put in a whole lot of acquisition work (even Final Fantasy G-Bike got a lot of downloads despite not monetizing well, since people wanted to try it), the cost of acquisition versus average lifetime value of a customer is incredibly more favorable, so both new and existing IPs alike can succeed and many more publishers feel confident in trying.

Just how much more favorable is it on average you ask? Astronomically (circa February 2014): http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/20/distimo-app-monetization/

graphs-country-sizes-9jswj.png

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm currently trying to find it back, but apart from what Robert said, you also have to keep in mind that when you outsource a game to a small studio, it's to keep development costs down (even more when it's a 3DS title instead of a console one).
In a "recent" Nikkei interview, S-E CEO also placed BD between mobile games and their AAA titles (including Lightning Returns). So it's probably not really low budget (there's still some production value, let's not do as if this was the Tales game on 3DS or Vita), but it certainly isn't the costs of something similar on console (B-tier) and even less than a AA/AAA.
Thanks. Yeah, that is true. I'm not saying it wasnt lower budget just to point that out, i just get curious when specific things are mentioned about budgets (like "the budget was lower/higher", which to me can sound like its a statement based on some known facts), so i might ask questions based on that :) I dont really expect to hear specific budget numbers, but info like "lower budget compared to (insert game here)" could perhaps be mentioned in an interview or something.

Who is Robert by the way?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
From the other thread

Looks like analysts are expecting better results for Nintendo, thanks to the New 3DS launch in EU/NA, but also the exchange rates for the Yen.

Maybe someone could translate, financials already give me headaches in English so in Japanese...

(Source is Nikkei, but it's apparently a subscription-only article).

Previous prediction -> new prediction (from Nintendo, not analysts)

Net sales: 550 billion ¥ -> same
Operating income: 20 billion ¥ -> 25 billion ¥
Net income: 30 billion ¥ -> same

Yeah, when I say Bravely Default was done on the cheap, I mean "for Square-Enix." I'd love to have a budget that "small." :)

Has Square Enix even revealed the budget for Bravely Default and Second, or people are just jumping to conclusions based on the footage and look of the game?

hiska-kun

Minecraft Vita
Code:
-----------------------------------------
|    |  Minecraft PSVita |              |
|    | [PSV] (2015/03/19)|              |
|----|---------|---------|--------------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Variation   |
|  1 |   36.151|   36.151|              | 
|  2 |   21.069|   57.220|          -42%| 
|  3 |   15.880|   73.100|          -25%|  
|  4 |   11.842|   84.942|          -25%| 
|  5 |   12.175|   97.117|           +3%|
|  6 |   12.667|  109.784|           +4%|
|Total        -|  109.784|              |
-----------------------------------------

Digital estimates (Famitsu):
[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition [Digital Version] <ADV> (Mojang AB) (¥2.057) - 256.649

Style Savvy series
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   Style Savvy 3   |   Style Savvy 2   |  Difference  |
|    | [3DS] (2015/04/16)| [3DS] (2012/09/27)|              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   SS3 – SS2  | 
|  1 |   55.179|   55.179|   65.908|   65.908|       -10.729| 
|  2 |   23.724|   78.903|   34.288|  100.196|       -21.293| 
|  3 |         |         |   22.195|  122.391|              |  
|  4 |         |         |   14.282|  136.672|              | 
|  5 |         |         |   11.446|  148.119|              |
|  6 |         |         |    9.699|  157.818|              |
|  7 |         |         |    8.599|  166.416|              |
|  8 |         |         |    6.696|  173.113|              |
|  9 |         |         |    7.364|  180.476|              |
| 10 |         |         |    7.528|  188.005|              |
| 11 |         |         |   11.286|  199.291|              |
| 12 |         |         |   17.179|  216.470|              |
|Total        -|   78.903|        -|  381.000|      -302.097|      

Bravely series
Code:
|    |   Bravely Second  |  Bravely Default  |  Difference  |
|    | [3DS] (2015/04/23)| [3DS] (2012/10/11)|              | 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |    BS – BD   | 
|  1 |  100.047|  100.047|  141.529|  141.529|       -41.482| 
|  2 |         |         |   41.430|  182.959|              | 
|  3 |         |         |   31.001|  213.960|              |  
|  4 |         |         |   20.454|  234.413|              | 
|  5 |         |         |   14.847|  249.260|              |
|  6 |         |         |    8.624|  257.884|              |
|  7 |         |         |    7.017|  264.901|              |
|Total        -|  100.047|        -|  308.808|      -208.761|      

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Has Square Enix even revealed the budget for Bravely Default and Second, or people are just jumping to conclusions based on the footage and look of the game?
It's assumption based.

If we assume the amount of staff was static between the two and look at some of the decisions made, including them announcing the game only started development in September 2013, we can see a relatively short development cycle with decisions that look like notable cost savers (they have the same costumes, many of the same characters in the same outfits, a lot of returning monsters, the visuals are identical down to unaltered texturing, and what appears to be a notably reused world map).

Now, some of this is obviously very reasonable and things you'd expect out of a sequel, others are nota, and when you put it all together you get the sense of them spending less money.

Now, maybe they did spend the same amount of money on development, or maybe they spent twice as much, but if we assume that, we can simply just state it's an even larger failure and that they seem to have spent their money in a very ineffective fashion.

test_account

XP-39C²
Could a game like Style Savvy be more profitable on mobile? Is there any examples for a game like that on mobile?

I was also curious about that, and it seems to mostly be based on conlusion. I think that the conclusion makes sense though, so it sounds probable i think. But it would be nice to know what the budgets were exactly.

jzbluz

I'm not super knowledgeable about things but BS's numbers doesn't seem to be that bad since it could still end up having some legs. I didn't like the first game that much, although the battle system was fun, but I can see the series has potential so I hope SE keeps the series alive.

I'm surprised Clock Zero did so well since it's technically a port of a port, although it does have a new route so maybe that's why it sold so well.

crinale

I've heard that Corocoro Magazine did feature articles regarding Minecraft Vita version (is it still going on? I don't know the details). If kids in Japan are to find the reason to get Vita then it sure is the Minecraft.

Somnid

Could a game like Style Savvy be more profitable on mobile? Is there any examples for a game like that on mobile?

It's well suited to mobile both in terms of how to monetize and the length of play per unit. It's a game that should be service oriented. Honestly though there aren't a lot of games like it that I can think of.

daxgame

Oh. I didn't even know that Tropico 5 existed for consoles. And it even sold somewhat nicely considering how niche it is, especially in Japan.

Quick question: how do you usually assess the reliability of data in the mobile market? In the traditional gaming market we have good sources and pretty bad ones. How is this distinction made in the mobile market? Chartboost, for example, provided data for the graph you posted. How much reliable is? I am asking this because Chartboost is also a platform providing help and tools to mobile developers, so a conflict of interests might not be that unbelievable.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Quick question: how do you usually assess the reliability of data in the mobile market? In the traditional gaming market we have good sources and pretty bad ones. How is this distinction made in the mobile market? Chartboost, for example, provided data for the graph you posted. How much reliable is? I am asking this because Chartboost is also a platform providing help and tools to mobile developers, so a conflict of interests might not be that unbelievable.

This is a good question, and it is definitely a hard thing to assess.

That said, I usually look at their customers and judge by whether or not anyone notable finds their services worth buying, and how many notable people are buying in.

Distimo is owned by App Annie (an acquisition IIRC), and their clients include most of the biggest mobile companies from almost every region: https://www.appannie.com/about/customers/?_ref=header

Part of the reason for this is that if they're customers for the service, and they know their own data is wrong, they can have a large hand in helping correct that until the estimation models are quite good, since it benefits them by ensuring they get good data about how others are performing.

This is why I tend to default to their research more than others.

NewZoo also has a very strong client list: http://www.newzoo.com/clients/

Superdata is quoted a lot on the forum, and they do have a targeted base with quite a few relevant players, but it is certainly less expansive than the others in that it's a lot heavier on just traditional vendors: http://www.superdataresearch.com/about/

When looking at their data, I'm generally a bit more skeptical unless it's covering things their own clients are notably involved in.

Eolz

Thanks. Yeah, that is true. I'm not saying it wasnt lower budget just to point that out, i just get curious when specific things are mentioned about budgets (like "the budget was lower/higher", which to me can sound like its a statement based on some known facts), so i might ask questions based on that :) I dont really expect to hear specific budget numbers, but info like "lower budget compared to (insert game here)" could perhaps be mentioned in an interview or something.

Who is Robert by the way?

He's quoted below :p

Yeah, when I say Bravely Default was done on the cheap, I mean "for Square-Enix." I'd love to have a budget that "small." :)

(sorry not sure how to say your username on gaf as a short one)

But yeah, since I can't seem to find the interview I was talking about, it's mostly assumptions. I'm sure I've seen something about how it was to support the 3DS without spending too much, but it's probably a mix of posts here, vague interviews from the CEO, and some development details.
I'd love if we had more development budget details in this industry in general as well, even if it can be understandable to be vague about it.

So is Minecraft for Vita a evergreen title that could potentially sell between 500k-1M in Japan?

Considering how with digital sales it has already sold around 365k I think 500k is given. For a million i guess we have to follow it for some more time but why not? Minecraft has had insane legs on all platforms in west and it seems Japanese like the game too.

Mr Git

Had absolutely no idea they were releasing Blazblue on the PS4. I'd be excited but I'd imagine it won't arrive here for at least thirty years.

Sakura

Nice to see the PS4 up even though nothing of note was released.
Not surprised by BS sales. The game just does not look interesting. Not sure what they were thinking.

Next week is Xenoblade numbers. Maybe around 50~k?

Rhyel

Bravely series
Code:
|    |   Bravely Second  |  Bravely Default  |  Difference  |
|    | [3DS] (2015/04/23)| [3DS] (2012/10/11)|              | 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |    BS &#8211; BD   | 
|  1 |  100.047|  100.047|  141.529|  141.529|       -41.482| 
|  2 |         |         |   41.430|  182.959|              | 
|  3 |         |         |   31.001|  213.960|              |  
|  4 |         |         |   20.454|  234.413|              | 
|  5 |         |         |   14.847|  249.260|              |
|  6 |         |         |    8.624|  257.884|              |
|  7 |         |         |    7.017|  264.901|              |
|Total        -|  100.047|        -|  308.808|      -208.761|      

The time of year is also important

April sales are lower than in October.

Another thing is that BD had improved version sold later.

Many people decided to wait this time.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2015 (Apr 20 - Apr 26)

01./00. [3DS] Bravely Second: End Layer <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.23} (¥6.458) - 100.047 / NEW
02./00. [PS3] TV Anime Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls G4U! Pack Vol.1 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.04.23} (¥9.698) - 24.341 / NEW
03./01. [3DS] Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.04.16} (¥5.076) - 23.724 / 78.903 (-57%)
04./00. [PS4] Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory II # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2015.04.23} (¥7.538) - 22.609 / NEW
05./00. [PS3] BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2015.04.23} (¥6.264) - 15.550 / NEW
06./04. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 12.667 / 109.784 (+4%)
07./00. [PSP] Meiji Toukyou Renka: Twilight Kiss # <ADV> (Broccoli) {2015.04.23} (¥6.264) - 10.083 / NEW
08./00. [PS4] Tropico 5 <SLG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.23} (¥8.424) - 8.706 / NEW
09./00. [PS4] BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2015.04.23} (¥6.264) - 7.589 / NEW
10./02. [PS4] Dying Light <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2015.04.16} (¥8.208) - 7.030 / 32.560 (-72%)
11./14. [3DS] Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: Korosensei Daihouimou!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.12} (¥6.145) - 6.845 / 56.672 (+32%)
12./00. [PSV] Clock Zero: Shuuen no Ichibyou - ExTime # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.04.23} (¥6.264) - 6.306 / NEW
13./00. [PS4] Toukiden: Kiwami <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.04.23} (¥7.344) - 6.103 / NEW
14./07. [WIU] Mario Party 10 # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.03.12} (¥5.616) - 5.033 / 123.465 (-16%)
15./19. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 4.989 / 966.494 (+10%)
16./12. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 4.973 / 2.603.857 (-9%)
17./10. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968) - 4.851 / 2.591.702 (-14%)
18./05. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥8.424) - 4.770 / 141.981 (-31%)
19./21. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616) - 4.109 / 2.215.255
20./06. [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.04.02} (¥7.690) - 4.001 / 147.155 (-39%)

Top 20

3DS - 6
PS4 - 5
PS3 - 3
PSV - 3
WIU - 2
PSP - 1

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| 3DS # |     21.658 |     21.824 |     33.987 |    726.413 |    801.676 |  18.564.858 |
|  PS4  |     20.112 |     15.419 |     12.712 |    458.588 |    546.881 |   1.429.255 |
| PSV # |     16.025 |     15.059 |     23.942 |    369.393 |    494.574 |   3.893.320 |
|  WIU  |      7.210 |      6.324 |      5.710 |    146.223 |    188.692 |   2.289.803 |
|  PS3  |      4.248 |      4.175 |      6.726 |    123.032 |    229.446 |  10.292.023 |
|  XB1  |        201 |        170 |            |      7.351 |            |      50.618 |
|  ALL  |     69.454 |     62.971 |     85.276 |  1.831.000 |  2.331.094 |  36.519.877 |
| PSVTV |        558 |        491 |      1.548 |     11.493 |     31.698 |     161.706 |
|  PSV  |     15.467 |     14.568 |     22.394 |    357.900 |    462.876 |   3.731.614 |
|n-3DSLL|     13.981 |     14.047 |            |    428.406 |            |   1.295.464 |
| n-3DS |      5.329 |      5.324 |            |    168.678 |            |     537.984 |
| 3DSLL |      1.253 |      1.309 |     27.914 |     66.985 |    561.503 |   6.899.608 |
|  3DS  |      1.095 |      1.144 |      6.073 |     62.344 |    240.173 |   9.831.802 |

Busaiku

16./12. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 4.973 / 2.603.857 (-9%)
17./10. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968) - 4.851 / 2.591.702 (-14%)
PEjIE3k.gif

Kysen

Had absolutely no idea they were releasing Blazblue on the PS4. I'd be excited but I'd imagine it won't arrive here for at least thirty years.
I bought it from the store, it is an up-rez of the PS3 version complete with blurry text and sprites :(. It might even be stretched instead of upscaled. Not even in the same league as Xrd on ps4.

Takao

Banned
PS4 is higher than I expected, but woof at those game sales. It looks like Toukiden should've been PSN-only in Japan. Bravely's defaulted. Neptunia is selling more like a random Vita spinoff than a new game.

Sony better have shipped more Minecraft this week.

Vena

The hardware is up a bit unexpectedly in places, didn't quite anticipate NepNep doing anything but I guess when you're base is that small even a small title will do something.

Meanwhile, this software. Woof.

Top Bottom