• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2011 (May 9 - May 15)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stumpokapow said:
NSMB Wii is the best selling console game of the last 25 years (in Japan, naturally, that is the thread we're in)--without bundling or accessories, or with.
Oh, I thought Oxx meant worldwide, but then yes, you're totally right.

Cygnus X-1

Pureauthor said:
Best case scenario is that this forces Nintendo to get their rear in gear and step their game up majorly.

It's a fact that Nintendo really need to organize their developments and their respective schedules way better. You can't bring a new console to the market with a so poor line-up.

Oxx

Mario was already kind of a big deal, though.

Obviously the numbers speak for themselves, but it's not as if Nintendo were going out on a limb.

Road

This week's Famitsu has information on BEST versions of games. Does anyone in Japan want to take a look and see if it has interesting sales info? =P

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Enterbrain gave hardware forecast
but with the record they have I doubt they'll be close

''Enterbrain released its annual industry white paper yesterday. While the content of the report is available only to those who pay the ¥31,500 asking price, some details have leaked out via a correction chart that was released today.

The big area of interest is this chart which shares the company's hardware sales forecasts for the current and next calendar years:

CSYF5.jpg

The current year is the column second from right. Next year is the far right column. Here's what's listed:

Nintendo DS
2011: 1,545,000, 2012: 587,000
Nintendo 3DS
2011: 2,868,000, 2012: 2,475,000
PlayStation Portable
2011: 2,378,000, 2012: 1,036,000
Wii
2011: 948,000, 2012: 481,000
PlayStation 3
2011: 1,469,000, 2012: 1,413,000
Xbox 360
2011: 122,000, 2012: 105,000
PlayStation 2
2011: 48,000, 2012: 0
Next Generation
2011: 547,000, 2012: 2,311,000

The chart doesn't specify what "next generation" refers to. At present, NGP is expected in 2011, so that's presumably what the 547,000 in 2011 refers to. NGP and Wii 2 may account for the 2,211,000 in 2012.

You can see the data more visibly in this bar graph. 2012 is to the right and 2011 is second from right. From top to bottom, the systems in the key are next generation, other, PS2, X360, PS3, Wii, Game Boy Advance, PSP, 3DS and DS.

uZupR.jpg

Notice the falling trend in hardware sales? Enterbrain expects 2011 to see a slight boost in hardware sales from last year's 9,441,900 to 9,925,000. But it expects a big drop off next year to 8,408,000.

Of course, all of this is mere change to 2007, where DS, PSP and 3DS were on fire and helped push system sales to 16,156,100 units.''

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/19/enterbrain_forecasts/

First: all signs show great first day sell-throughs for Akiba Strip, pretty decent sell-through for DOA(Both temporally sold out at amazon, Akiba Strip is selling at high prices from wholesalers). Portal 2 is okay....

[Nintex] said:
The Japanese are still counting on their franchises from 10/20 years ago like Ridge Racer and Final Fantasy which all declined in sales during the last few years. There's only a couple of hits like Monster Hunter, New Super Mario Bros. and Love Plus and the developers and publishers are aiming for the US/EU market and most are failing at it.

This has been mentioned many many times before, but ,let me repeat, Japan has become it's own little isolated island in terms of games,

Love Plus, Monster Hunter, Girls who want history elements with cute boys, K-ON, AKB48(300k+ copies!), A bunch of anime-inspired games.
The Sociologist Hiroki Azuma basically predicated this 10 years ago: You've got a database of elements being pulled from, moe-anime-parts, monster hunter parts, Consumers demand/care more about these parts(How many games not having these parts have been hits in recent years?) then the overall package. yet these parts don't flow outside of Japan.

It also doesn't help that most games in Japan outside of Nintendo are still being made for 13 year olds(Can't find the article now, but one of the designers of FF explicitly stated that the target is always teens, not people who graduated from the game)

Turning the topic back to the enjoyable topic of birth rates, here is an interesting chart I saw the other day

ad7a0589.jpg

Blue line is the 14 year old population in Japan, Red line is sales of the most popular manga series Shonen Jump(big red horizointal line is when Shonen Jump had Dragon Ball). Yes, Blue oceans games are a must!
drawing comparisons between publishing companies(INTERNET KILLS THEM) and games is not entirely accurate, but it's a fun chart none the less.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Chris1964 said:
Even if it happens it's not anything new. PS2's best selling year was the first.
PS2 started like a monster though , 3DS not so much. Next year should be better for the 3DS than this year. Especially if they have a exlclusive main line pokemon title ready.

Celine

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
ad7a0589.jpg

Blue line is the 14 year old population in Japan, Red line is sales of the most popular manga series Shonen Jump(big red horizointal line is when Shonen Jump had Dragon Ball). Yes, Blue oceans games are a must!
drawing comparisons between publishing companies(INTERNET KILLS THEM) and games is not entirely accurate, but it's a fun chart none the less.
What's the first red horizontal line ? Saint Seya ?
The small spike after the crash must be caused by One Piece.

Regulus Tera said:
Remember when everyone was all like "3DS is gonna steamroll it, Sony say goodbye to the handheld market" and I was all like "3D is a shite gimmick anyway"?

Why does GAF suck so much at predictions?
Isn't well before the NGP's launch a bit early to say that those predictions were off? DS has been made obsolete and slowed down a lot before its successor was ready to become the Next Big Thing; who knows what the PSP->NGP transition will be like.
Chris1964 quoting Enterbrain said:
Nintendo 3DS
2011: 2,868,000,
They expect 3DS to do significantly worse than original DS did in the same period in 2005 without the benefit of launch.
2011-02-21

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Leaks from Famitsu White Paper have started to come out.

There is a version this year that contains a CD with the book in PDF format. It costs much more than the book alone though (50.400 vs. 31.500 yen) and I don't think it's possible geimin will prefer it for immediate post of top 1000, if the file isn't locked of course.

Magicpaint said:
Wii Sports wasn't a pack-in software in Japan though and that was a smart choice, so why go this way? I guess it would fit into Nintendo not wanting the lions share of software early on. It's sad though because when I tried the system the AR games were by far the biggest selling point for me. But even here (i.e. in the UK) they seem to be a non-factor for the most part.

Since this gets brought up in every media create thread: Iwata Reiterated his point once more in the recent Iwata asks :resident evil

[URL="http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/interview/creators/vol8/index5.html" said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/interview/creators/vol8/index5.html[/URL]]3Dを今後、どうやってお客さんにアピールしていかれるんですか?

岩田

やはりみなさんに現物を見てもらいたくなるような努力を
これからも継続していきたいと思っています。
いち早く入手した人が「本当に見えたよ」と言ってくれて、
やがて「見ないとわからないよ」と次々にみんなが
言ってもらえるような状況をつくることが大切と感じています。
内蔵ソフトはそういう意味で充実させたんです。
たとえば3DカメラやARゲームズを本体に内蔵した理由は、
まわりの方全員に体験してもらいたかったからなんです。

川田

メディアを通じて打ち出すだけでなく、
実際に見せ合うという、いままでとは違う打ち出し方が

必要なんですね。

岩田

『モンハン』(※19)や『ポケモン』(※20)など
社会現象になっているゲームがそうなんですが、
周囲で遊んでいる方が多いと、
その気がなかった方まで巻き込まれていくんですよね。
だから3DSが普及することで、結果的に
ソフトメーカーさんが出される魅力的なフランチャイズの数々を
知らないままでいる方にもお伝えできるチャンスが増やせたら、
とても意味のあることだと思っています。

Basically: He re-states the reason ar games and 3d camera were nicely given to us for free, was so that we could share experiences and tell/show our friends how awesome the 3ds is.

Kawada then basically goes and says: Instead of thourgh the media, friends sharing is the way to appeal the 3ds. AND RESIDENT EVIL is the new ultimate way to do that!

Takao

Banned
Akiba Trip better sell well this week since I don't expect that game to have any legs at all unless it's surprisingly amazingly good.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Speaking of Japan's aging population, does anyone know any sites or articles that do a good job talking about the causes and effects of the phenomenon?

Madao

i wonder what kinds of games old folks in japan like.
with the aging population problem, wouldn't it be a good idea to make something to appeal to them?

yankee666 said:
The Wii needs a price cut right NOW, or at least make a bundle Nintendo!! . It still at 20.000Y with no pack-in software

They should drop it to 12,000 yen with no pack-in software. That would be about $150 which is what its selling for now in the U.S. with Mario Kart. I think that would help if it cost much less than half the price of the ps3 and pick up sales significantly. Although that would make the DS3 look like a bad deal at 25000 yen.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
uchihasasuke said:
i wonder what kinds of games old folks in japan like.
with the aging population problem, wouldn't it be a good idea to make something to appeal to them?

Brain Age was that game.

donny2112

HK-47 said:
Brain Age was that game.

Hasn't someone mentioned a Brain Training 3 in development for 3DS in the MC threads? Kind of fuzzy on specifics.

Regardless, the price is still too high. Too high. Like releasing Minna no Golf 5 for PS3 in 2007. Price is too high to bring in the people who'd consistently buy that software.
Probably
. :p

donny2112 said:
Hasn't someone mentioned a Brain Training 3 in development for 3DS in the MC threads? Kind of fuzzy on specifics.

Regardless, the price is still too high. Too high. Like releasing Minna no Golf 5 for PS3 in 2007. Price is too high to bring in the people who'd consistently buy that software.
Probably
. :p

Heh, the game that made me rush out to buy a PS3 when it released in the west, had to have my HSG fix, was so worth it.

What would Brain Training 3 have, even more sudoku? Are people still in the sudoku craze?

Takao

Banned
I'm both anxious, and nervous about Cardboard Senki. I'm anxious because I think the game looks pretty sweet, and I'd probably get a kick out of playing. I'm nervous because I fear it could be a death blow to the current mini Medabots revival (even though the games are really different they're both targeting the exact same market with the same concept) since I doubt Level 5 will keep it PSP/Droid exclusive for ever.

I'd have a better chance at playing a localized Cardboard Senki game than a modern localized Medabots game at this point.

smurfx

get some go again
so is console gaming basically dead in japan? will japanese companies abandon them for good and just focus on handhelds and cell phones? are there any japanese companies doing really well on consoles?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21. / 23. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) {2009.10.01}
22. / 00. [PSP] Disgaea 2 Portable [PSP the Best] (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011.05.12}
23. / 25. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 (Koei Tecmo) {2011.03.10}
24. / 26. [PSP] Amagami (EBKore+) (Kadokawa Shoten) {2011.03.31}
25. / 17. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (w/ Remote Plus) (Nintendo) {2010.11.11}
26. / 21. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (Level 5) {2011.02.26}
27. / 13. [PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition) {2011.04.28}
28. / 39. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.10.28}
29. / 28. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity (Sega) {2011.02.24}
30. / 16. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) {2009.12.03}
31. / 24. [PSP] GachiTora! Abarenbou Kyoushi in High School (Spike) {2011.04.21}
32. / 00. [WII] Billy's Boot Camp: Enjoy the Diet on Wii! (Rocket Company) {2011.04.21}
33. / 30. [WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki [Everyone's Recommendation Selection] (Hudson) {2011.01.20}
34. / 32. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.11.18}
35. / 27. [NDS] Magician's Quest: The Merchant’s Store of Sorcery (Konami) {2010.11.11}
36. / 47. [PS3] Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition [PlayStation 3 the Best] (Capcom) {2010.11.11}
37. / 48. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker [PSP the Best] (Konami) {2011.02.24}
38. / 22. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25}
39. / 19. [NDS] Detective Conan: Aoki Houseki no Rinbukyoku (Bandai Namco) {2011.04.21}
40. / 37. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31}
41. / 00. [PS3] Demon's Souls [PlayStation 3 the Best] (SCE) {2010.02.25}
42. / 41. [PSP] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus Co.) {2011.04.14}
43. / 38. [PS3] SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs 4 (SCE) {2011.04.21}
44. / 40. [NDS] One Piece: Gigant Battle (Bandai Namco) {2010.09.09}
45. / 33. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) {2009.06.18}
46. / 42. [WII] Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles [Best Price!] (Capcom) {2011.04.21}
47. / 45. [PSP] Dissidia: 012 (Duodecim) Final Fantasy (Square Enix) {2011.03.03}
48. / 31. [WII] Super Mario All-Stars (Nintendo) {2010.10.21}
49. / 36. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 3 (Bandai Namco) {2010.12.02}
50. / 43. [PSP] Monster Hunter Diary: Pokapoka Ailu Village [PSP the Best] (Capcom) {2011.04.21}

PSP - 19
WII - 12
PS3 - 8
NDS - 7
3DS - 4
360 - 0
PS2 - 0

SOFTWARE
Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------            
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year |        YTD |   Last YTD |            
|  ALL  |   430.000 |   697.000 |   630.889 | 17.111.000 | 21.411.899 |       

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
the week before pandora's tower might not have been a great time to make that statement ahahah ;)

"CAN sell pretty well"

:)

I'd assume the original question was in regard to third-parties, since we know Nintendo games can sell in Japan. In that case, limiting their top of the line games to the runner-up systems didn't really help that notion a whole lot. If Cafe takes a Wii-like good performance out of the gate for the first couple of years but with full/strong third-party support, the current console doldrums for third-parties might turn around. Lot of dependencies/uncertainties there, though.

donny2112 said:
I'd assume the original question was in regard to third-parties, since we know Nintendo games can sell in Japan. In that case, limiting their top of the line games to the runner-up systems didn't really help that notion a whole lot. If Cafe takes a Wii-like good performance out of the gate for the first couple of years but with full/strong third-party support, the current console doldrums for third-parties might turn around. Lot of dependencies/uncertainties there, though.
It could be the PS2 all over again, but from Nintendo. Assuming nothing particularly counterintuitive from Nintendo, it's going to be in 3rd party hands.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
donny2112 said:
That's what I thought the 3DS was going to be like with all the "big" third-party support it had coming. Uh-oh.

:lol
3DS can still become that system everyone assumed it would be - the system has been out for 3 months....

Daschysta

donny2112 said:
That's what I thought the 3DS was going to be like with all the "big" third-party support it had coming. Uh-oh.

:lol

You mean the 3rd party software that hasn't come out yet? 3DS can't be judged without it's upcoming compelling software.

JoshuaJSlone said:
They expect 3DS to do significantly worse than original DS did in the same period in 2005 without the benefit of launch.
So I worked on this a bit more. I wondered: if 3DS behaved like DS during the rest of the year, what constant amount would it need to be scaled down to hit 2.87 million? As it turns out, it needs to do about 55.5% of what Enterbrain says DS did in 2005.
20110520ds3dssupposeweekly.png

20110520ds3dssupposesum.png

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create says this was the lowest week of 2011 but in reality it's the lowest since 2009 that they started give total software sales. This is the bottom top 3

{2011.05.09 - 2011.05.15} - 430.000
{2009.06.08 - 2009.06.14} - 556.694
{2009.05.11 - 2009.05.17} - 567.267

Going even further including top 100 software sales from 2006 to 2008 it still remains the lowest and including 2005 that market had dived there are only 6 weeks in 2005 with top 100 lower than this week.

donny2112

cw_sasuke said:
3DS can still become that system everyone assumed it would be - the system has been out for 3 months....

Yeah, it was just the pre-launch expectation for 3DS matched the wording from bmf, so it wasn't a good sign that 3DS has started so badly. PS2 didn't start badly, after all. Hopefully it turns around, though. Not seeing it coming, yet, but our visibility into 3DS's future is very limited with Nintendo at the helm. :)

donny2112 said:
Yeah, it was just the pre-launch expectation for 3DS matched the wording from bmf, so it wasn't a good sign that 3DS has started so badly. PS2 didn't start badly, after all. Hopefully it turns around, though. Not seeing it coming, yet, but our visibility into 3DS's future is very limited with Nintendo at the helm. :)
E3 may change perceptions. It would have been a more spectacular launch had it been before new years, but that might have cause software issues.

Beyond the software their biggest problem has to be that it doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from the DSi in consumers eyes for the price that they're charging.

At Amazon
DSi 15,000
DSi LL 16,905
3DS 25,001 22,898

If it were ~18,000 it would probably be selling like it should be, and could be used as a way to phase out the DSi.

Maybe we'll see a kickstart with a lower price and some new software this holiday. I'd like it to get all the software that the successor to the DS should get, because otherwise, I think that we may be coming to the end of one of my favorite system lines.

Edit: Ha! I still seem to be bmf.

Top Bottom