• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2012 (May 14 - May 20)

I think it's probably a combination of the declining PSP software market and a trend regarding older Megaten games. I don't think it necessarily spells doom for Soul Hackers, because the 3DS software market when that comes out is going to be very different than the PSP market is now, but it is certainly a trend to monitor for the franchise.

Soul Hackers also won't have another Persona game scheduled for the following month, which will work in its favor.

jman2050

Does anybody know how lower-than-expected console sales for newish hardware affect production? In terms of something like Vita, does cost of production increase if contracts with producers and suppliers decrease or get scaled back because of lower demand.

Many of the costs associated with manufacturing are either fixed or don't scale linearly with manufactured volume, so a less-than-optimal production schedule can increase the effective cost per unit simply via overhead costs, among other factors.

I'm sure someone here is more knowledgeable than myself in this subject of course :x

milanbaros

Member?
Does anybody know how lower-than-expected console sales for newish hardware affect production? In terms of something like Vita, does cost of production increase if contracts with producers and suppliers decrease or get scaled back because of lower demand.

I'm not sure but the % discount at this level of production wouldn't be that great e.g. $ per unit when ordering 5 million vs 10 million. The Vita also uses off the shelf parts as well if I'm not mistaken so the price might be mostly out of their hands.

What it definitely does do though is raise the $ per unit on fixed costs such as R&D and marketing.

Edit: As Jman says, any fixed costs in production will rise per unit but they are probably quite flexible already, considering the nature of the console cycles.

duckroll

I was talking to Segata at the time the thread went up and we both pretty much agreed that this is more indicative of the decline of the PSP and the generally depressed market than a reflection of the software. I just don't think there are many engaged PSP owners, looking for something new to buy. If we further assume that those people who have bought Vitas are some of the "higher-end" PSP owners, they're also removed from the picture, because they'll never buy retail software again.

That could be one factor, but I think it also speaks volumes about the actual product as well. Unless you don't think that Persona is a brand that has any traction. My point was that the Persona brand being hugely popular in Japan no longer has any sort of swing at all for the oldschool enhanced port releases.

Here's a recent indication of how a strong and relevant current brand doesn't really suffer much on the PSP:

April 14 2011:
01. / 00. [PSP] Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Wars Z: Hakai-hen (Bandai Namco) {2011.04.14} - 307.019 / NEW

April 5 2012:
01./00. [PSP] 2nd Super Robot Wars Z: Saisei-hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.04.05} (¥7.330) - 265.439 / NEW

This is an actual direct sequel to a game which didn't really have a complete ending. It's being sold at a relatively high price too. Yet the drop off is pretty small. Why? Because clearly people still want the product regardless.

Cygnus X-1

Hardware-wise, this week was roughly a copy of last week. I believe next week (i.e. this current week), Mario Tennis Open is going to be released. I wonder which sales can be expected from it. Do we have some shipment data?

Busaiku

Some of those drops are ridiculous.
I realize the sales aren't that high all around, but such small changes is crazy to see.

Hold on Kid! Hold on!

On Vita - haven't you guys heard? 6k is the new 10k!
Maybe people are just getting Vita through digital download?

Harvest Moon still chugging along! I'm hoping we don't have to wait an age for this one to make it over here.

Yeah Vita... *uncomfortable silence*

test_account

XP-39C²
Wii U will be huge in Japan. The market over there demands something new. The other two systems will be fucked. The majority of Japanese studios will never be ready technologically for the "real" next-gen and will probably stick to Wii U when they see the sales.
Didnt help the Vita much so far, it is also new (relatively). It depends a lot of the games and the price of the WiiU. It is pretty much a wild guess at this point. From what i've seen, there is basically no indication that the WiiU will sell good or bad. Too little is known about the system, especially regarding japanese 3rd party support.

If you mean new as in something new experience wise, then we know nothing about PS4/Xbox 720, so it would be too early to say that those systems are fucked.

By the way, gogogo Icecream games!

NF3ut.jpg

<stump> (HW sales) Vita has had 16 weeks worse than the PSP's worst week, and only 7 weeks better than the PSP's worst week*
<stump> The best-selling game on Vita in Japan (LTD) is equal to the 175th best-selling game on PSP in Japan
<stump> The second best selling game on Vita in Japan (LTD) is equal to the 250th best-selling game on PSP in Japan

* excluding 2012 sales; the PSP's worst week during its actual effective lifetime.

Sony's main marketing guy should have this printed out and on his desk tomorrow.

Fabrik

Banned
Didnt help the Vita much so far, it is also new (relatively). It depends a lot of the games and the price of the WiiU. It is pretty much a wild guess at this point. From what i've seen, there is basically no indication that the WiiU will sell good or bad. Too little is known about the system, especially regarding japanese 3rd party support.

If you mean new as in something new experience wise, then we know nothing about PS4/Xbox 720, so it would be too early to say that those systems are fucked.

Vita has no games, the 3DS is a cheaper alternative and has Monster Hunter. Wii U will have Nintendo titles and the tablet is unique in the home console market. You're right we know nothing about PS4/Xbox 720 but I don't see Sony or Microsoft changing their philosophy all of a sudden. Kinect/PS move are not popular in Japan and motion gaming is now a bit outdated. And as I said, I can't see a lot of games appealing to the Japanese audience on those platforms simply because it will be too expensive for most Japanese studios to develop on it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Is it wrong to assume that There's No Way My Little Sister Can Be This Cute series is one of the best-performing visual novels in the past five years? How did Steins;Gate do?

Through the first 3 weeks in May Vita has sold 23,270 units, baring an unexpected increase next week we are looking at right around 30K for the month in Japan. Probably not even going to sell 200,000 worldwide in May.

Likely will be sitting at under 500K sold worldwide through the first two months of the fiscal year, only need 950,000 a month for the next 10 months to hit that 10 million target. Seems like they are going to be lucky to hit half of that target with the way things are going

Articalys

Is it wrong to assume that There's No Way My Little Sister Can Be This Cute series is one of the best-performing visual novels in the past five years? How did Steins;Gate do?
I can't tell how serious that question is, but: according to this article from mid-last year, Steins;Gate had shipped 300,000 copies across the three platforms it was out on at the time (360, PC, PSP), and the PS3 verison just went on sale today, so that should add some to the total.

Mileena

Banned
Through the first 3 weeks in May Vita has sold 23,270 units, baring an unexpected increase next week we are looking at right around 30K for the month in Japan. Probably not even going to sell 200,000 worldwide in May.

Likely will be sitting at under 500K sold worldwide through the first two months of the fiscal year, only need 950,000 a month for the next 10 months to hit that 10 million target. Seems like they are going to be lucky to hit half of that target with the way things are going
This thing is going to die and people are gonna be stuck with Nintendo's cutting edge technology if they want a portable gaming system. Sad times ahead.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I can't tell how serious that question is, but: according to this article from mid-last year, Steins;Gate had shipped 300,000 copies across the three platforms it was out on at the time (360, PC, PSP), and the PS3 verison just went on sale today, so that should add some to the total.
I was genuinely curious. I was under the impression that Visual Novels rarely cross the six digits.

muu

Vita had a rise this week. Certain doom evaded!

We went over this in a previous thread -- it's not nearly as creepy as it sounds. The English title is very misleading.

It did lead up to the situation we have now where light novel titles are basically stupid/creepy phrases. Just some examples from a list at ranobe-mori.net:

• Elementary School girls are fighting over me and it's getting out of hand
  • The recent sisters fad is all thanks to me.
  • I'll make you an otaku, so give me a life!
  • My IRL and online gaming time's been infected by love comedy
  • I'm a big brother but as long as there's love it it's all OK!

The most amazing thing is that, some of these started off as properly-named submissions that were renamed to fit the current fad.

duckroll

I was genuinely curious. I was under the impression that Visual Novels rarely cross the six digits.

It's pretty common for popular ones, but less so for console ports. Usually they sell mostly on the PC and on portables. Haruhi did well on both PSP and PS2, Higurashi also did well PS2, and if you add the 4 DS ones together (they split the game up) it did over 200k. Steins;Gate did over 100k on the PSP too, even though it's a really late port.

onilink88

[3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening <SLG> (Nintendo) {2012.04.19} (¥4.800) - 14.913 / 376.703 (-10%)

Really awesome to see it do so well.
/brokenrecord

Second best selling entry in the franchise seems like a lock right now.

Vita 6,347

Well, at least it's not a decrease...

test_account

XP-39C²
Vita has no games, the 3DS is a cheaper alternative and has Monster Hunter. Wii U will have Nintendo titles and the tablet is unique in the home console market. You're right we know nothing about PS4/Xbox 720 but I don't see Sony or Microsoft changing their philosophy all of a sudden. Kinect/PS move are not popular in Japan and motion gaming is now a bit outdated. And as I said, I can't see a lot of games appealing to the Japanese audience on those platforms simply because it will be too expensive for most Japanese studios to develop on it.
It is hard to say at the point how the market will react to WiiU. To begin with, the main competitor for the WiiU will be the PS3. It (the PS3) will most likely be cheaper (probably 20k yen) and it has a lot of games for it. It simply comes down to what people want. There isnt really any indication how the WiiU will do at this point. I'm optimistic about it, only time will tell how the sales are.

PS Move is "outdated" indeed, so i dont think that there will be any more support for this outside of the PS3. Microsoft might contunie to push the Kinect system on their next console, but i dont think it will have much effect in Japan. But i think that at least Sony will not just do a rehash of the PS4 with more powerful hardware when they design the PS4.

EDIT: I dont want to take away any optimism here, i just wanted to point out that it is too early to say how PS4 and Xbox 720 will preform in Japan.

And as I said, I can't see a lot of games appealing to the Japanese audience on those platforms simply because it will be too expensive for most Japanese studios to develop on it.
This reason was also used with the Wii and PS3, that it would simply be too expencive to make PS3 games. But everyone didnt skip out on the PS3 and flocked to the Wii. In some cases, it might not be that much more expencive to create a PS3 game compared to a Wii game. I dont think that this will change much on the PS4/Xbox 720 compared to the WiiU.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This thing is going to die and people are gonna be stuck with Nintendo's cutting edge technology if they want a portable gaming system. Sad times ahead.

If that's what the market wants, what can we do? I'm sure people said the same thing about the NeoGeo but it just wasn't a viable proposition to consumers. The majority want consoles that are affordable and offer a diverse software library, a controller innovation like touch screen/Wii Remote/tablet is also a plus. High-powered brutes like Vita with console ports/spin-offs as the focus are not going to sell in the current handheld climate.

donny2112

Thanks, Mpl90! Here's the hardware part I usually use. Chris1964's will have the Last YTD numbers, etc in it. :)

Code:
|  PS3  |     12,026  |     12,996  |    543,761  |   8,180,147  |
|  PSP  |     10,652  |     12,247  |    383,112  |  19,112,474  |
|  PSV  |      6,347  |      6,340  |    263,460  |     703,445  |
|  WII  |      5,956  |      6,073  |    218,146  |  12,381,367  |
|  PS2  |      1,166  |      1,212  |     23,862  |  21,797,969  |
|  NDS  |      1,108  |      1,206  |     38,575  |  32,847,060  |
|  360  |        825  |      1,023  |     29,190  |   1,565,234  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
| DSiLL |        683  |        819  |     22,150  |   2,316,468  |
|  DSi  |        425  |        387  |     16,425  |   5,850,477  |
------------------------------------------------------------------

Those Persona 2 EP sales aren't good news for Soul Hackers at all. I think we might be seeing the divide between the shrinking group of old-school faithful Atlus fans, and those who only care for the newer generation of Persona.

And Persona without enough Megaten elements is no Persona at all.

Wow, poor Vita. Let's hope E3 brings some exciting game announcements and it sells better! Also, great 3DS sales, nice to see it doing so well. And those Persona sales seem low, what a shame.

New releases {2012.05.24}

[3DS] Mario Tennis Open <SPT> (Nintendo) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Minna no Ennichi <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥3.990)
[3DS] Funky Barn 3D <SLG> (Ubisoft) (¥3.990)
[3DS] Boku wa Koukuu Kanseikan: Airport Hero 3D Haneda with Jal <SLG> (Sonic Powered) (¥6.090)
[3DS] G1 Grand Prix <SLG> (Genki) (¥6.080)

[PSV] Samurai & Dragons <ACT> (Sega) (¥3.990)

[PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: Debut # <ACT> (Broccoli) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: Debut [Limited Edition DearDarling Box] <ACT> (Broccoli) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Suigetsu Ni Portable # <ADV> (GN Software) (¥5.040)
[PSP] Suigetsu Ni Portable [Limited Edition] <ADV> (GN Software) (¥8.379)
[PSP] Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Elminage Gothic: Ulm Zakir to Yami no Gishiki <RPG> (Starfish SD) (¥6.090)

[PS3] Dragons Dogma <ACT> (Capcom) (¥7.990)
[PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure For You! Vol.8 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.980)
[PS3] Steins;Gate <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.090)
[PS3] Steins;Gate: Double Pack <ADV> (5pb.) (¥14.000)
[PS3] Record of Agarest War 2 (CH Selection) <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Operation Flashpoint: Red River (Codemasters the Best) <ACT> (Codemasters) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Two Worlds II (Bargain Edition) <RPG> (Ubisoft) (¥2.940)

[360] Dragons Dogma <ACT> (Capcom) (¥7.990)
[360] Mushihimesama # <STG> (Cave) (¥7.140)
[360] Mushihimesama [Limited Edition] <STG> (Cave) (¥9.240)

It'll need it.

Top Bottom