• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2012 (May 14 - May 20)

Khrno

Thanks, Mpl90! Here's the hardware part I usually use. Chris1964's will have the Last YTD numbers, etc in it. :)

Code:
|  PS3  |     12,026  |     12,996  |    543,761  |   8,180,147  |
|  PSP  |     10,652  |     12,247  |    383,112  |  19,112,474  |
|  PSV  |      6,347  |      6,340  |    263,460  |     703,445  |
|  WII  |      5,956  |      6,073  |    218,146  |  12,381,367  |
|  PS2  |      1,166  |      1,212  |     23,862  |  21,797,969  |
|  NDS  |      1,108  |      1,206  |     38,575  |  32,847,060  |
|  360  |        825  |      1,023  |     29,190  |   1,565,234  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
| DSiLL |        683  |        819  |     22,150  |   2,316,468  |
|  DSi  |        425  |        387  |     16,425  |   5,850,477  |

So Vita was actually the only system that went up this week, besides DSi.

extralite

You're incorrect in saying that P2 EP is a direct sequel though. It's actually a stand alone game which is the "other side" of IS. You can play either IS or EP without playing the other and you won't really miss out on that much. Timeline-wise they're more like alternate realities than exact sequels.

But Tatsuya remembers the events of the first game and Maya is reminded as well. There are also flashback scenes to the first game. Eternal Punishment is supposed to be the adult version of the story where the events from the youth version threaten to repeat themselves.

I know they published this as a standalone game in the US but you cannot really understand the finer plot points without having played the original one. On the other hand you could play any sequel and somewhat understand the continuation. It's definetely a direct sequel and more related story-wise to IS than P1 and P2 were, although they also share some of the lead cast.

Furthermore, as a consumer, how could you not assume that it's a direct sequel (no matter if it's the case or not)? They have the same number, it doesn't get anymore connected than that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
1307839488299zfzc1.gif

N2tqs.gif

faridmon

We went over this in a previous thread -- it's not nearly as creepy as it sounds. The English title is very misleading.

As someone who watched the Anime series
and sort of liked it
the name of the series in Japanese is as creepy as it is. It may not feature Incets or something as creepy that, but there is eelements of family ''love'' going-on.

Meier

I said it was dire last week when #20 was at 4k. Yikes. The top selling title is.. well, it's Japan after all.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thanks, Mpl90! Here's the hardware part I usually use. Chris1964's will have the Last YTD numbers, etc in it. :)

Code:
|  PS3  |     12,026  |     12,996  |    543,761  |   8,180,147  |
|  PSP  |     10,652  |     12,247  |    383,112  |  19,112,474  |
|  PSV  |      6,347  |      6,340  |    263,460  |     703,445  |
|  WII  |      5,956  |      6,073  |    218,146  |  12,381,367  |
|  PS2  |      1,166  |      1,212  |     23,862  |  21,797,969  |
|  NDS  |      1,108  |      1,206  |     38,575  |  32,847,060  |
|  360  |        825  |      1,023  |     29,190  |   1,565,234  |
| DSiLL |        683  |        819  |     22,150  |   2,316,468  |
|  DSi  |        425  |        387  |     16,425  |   5,850,477  |

You're welcome...and thank you very much for the hardware table.

About 3DS hardware...only 60k in DQ week? Think higher, folks.

Good.

Home console Kingdom Hearts or keep it to yourselves, SE.
Eh. I'd rather they keep pumping out good to great handheld titles than take six to seven years of teasing on a console title (being optimistic on the timeframe).

But they can't expect to poison the well with sub-par spinoffs and bitch when the good games are met with extremely skeptical eyes.

Koroviev

Eh. I'd rather they keep pumping out good to great handheld titles than take six to seven years of teasing on a console title (being optimistic on the timeframe).

But they can't expect to poison the well with sub-par spinoffs and bitch when the good games are met with extremely skeptical eyes.

KH3 is the unfulfilled promise of my childhood.

KH3 is the unfulfilled promise of my childhood.

The series is only ten years old. That is a short-ass childhood.

Every generation of hardware, it's going to be more and more difficult for modern, log-jammed Square-Enix to create a title that is competitive with contemporary products on home consoles. KH3 will happen, obviously. But I genuinely do not see how it can meet expectations of development speed and quality one would hope for.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Every generation of hardware, it's going to be more and more difficult for modern, log-jammed Square-Enix to create a title that is competitive with contemporary products on home consoles. KH3 will happen, obviously. But I genuinely do not see how it can meet expectations of development speed and quality one would hope for.

I know someone whose first game was KH1.

She's going to graduate high school next year.

Koroviev

I'm being facetious. However, I did expect to see KH3 on the PS3 early on. I was naive.

StayDead

OreImo <3

nJ9ol.gif

I wanted to buy a copy but I never finished anyone but kuroneko's route in the first one and I've still got a bunch of other VN's to play ><

hatchx

Banned

Well if they announce it at this e3, we might see it by 2018 if we're lucky.

Owzers

This thing is going to die and people are gonna be stuck with Nintendo's cutting edge technology if they want a portable gaming system. Sad times ahead.

At some point Sony needs to reflect on their first party offerings and understand that for the most part, they don't make games people want to buy systems for in Japan.

Fabrik

Banned
This reason was also used with the Wii and PS3, that it would simply be too expensive to make PS3 games. But everyone didnt skip out on the PS3 and flocked to the Wii. In some cases, it might not be that much more expencive to create a PS3 game compared to a Wii game. I dont think that this will change much on the PS4/Xbox 720 compared to the WiiU.

I think the situation is different. I'd say the PS3 market in Japan is "saturated"/isn't going to grow that much anymore. I think we're seeing a PSP -> 3DS transition with the Vita progressively disappearing and we'll see a PS3 -> WiiU transition as well with the PS4 not selling that much in Japan. Just my prediction based on the supposition that Sony keep doing what they're doing and doesn't have THE next japanese killer-app.

Dalthien

Through the first 3 weeks in May Vita has sold 23,270 units, baring an unexpected increase next week we are looking at right around 30K for the month in Japan. Probably not even going to sell 200,000 worldwide in May.

Likely will be sitting at under 500K sold worldwide through the first two months of the fiscal year, only need 950,000 a month for the next 10 months to hit that 10 million target. Seems like they are going to be lucky to hit half of that target with the way things are going

As baffling as the Vita prediction seems at the moment, the PSP @ 6M has me just as confused. I can't see the PSP doing more than 3-4M this year at most, and even that seems generous on the high side. Retailers are done with the PSP, and even in Japan, PSP will be well below a million for the fiscal year.

It's like they combined a double-shot of craziness into one forecast.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think that's a stuffed bunny under her shirt.
I see, so that "legstump" to the right is a bunny ear?

I think the situation is different. I'd say the PS3 market in Japan is "saturated"/isn't going to grow that much anymore. I think we're seeing a PSP -> 3DS transition with the Vita progressively disappearing and we'll see a PS3 -> WiiU transition as well with the PS4 not selling that much in Japan. Just my prediction based on the supposition that Sony keep doing what they're doing and doesn't have THE next japanese killer-app.
Fair enough. I think that it is too early to say much about it one way or the other since it is so much that can happen. I remember when the Vita was priced at the exact same price as the 3DS, and people went "daymn!". Then Nintendo dropped the price with 40% and announced Monster Hunter Tri G, and people went "daymn!. I wouldnt be surprised if something similar happen with the next generation consoles :) Not necessarily a big pricedrop, but something that is noticeably unexpected.

Pity that Nintendo wont announce the WiiU price at this E3. I'm really wondering how much it will cost. In Japan, i'm guessing at least 29,980 yen. And i guess that before the WiiU launch, the PS3 will be 20,000 yen (it is 25k yen now).

I think a big part of it also has to do with pre-gen expectations too. PS4 being the successor to PS3 is going to find itself in a much different situation in regards to developer support than what PS3 had coming off PS2. You saw this already with Vita following PSP, and how it's made things that much more difficult from the outset.

You also saw the inverse with 3DS benefitting hugely from being positioned as the DS successor, and I think it makes some sense we'll see the same with Wii U coming off Wii, while Wii itself had to struggle following Gamecube.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think a big part of it also has to do with pre-gen expectations too. PS4 being the successor to PS3 is going to find itself in a much different situation in regards to developer support than what PS3 had coming off PS2. You saw this already with Vita following PSP, and how it's made things that much more difficult from the outset.

You also saw the inverse with 3DS benefitting hugely from being positioned as the DS successor, and I think it makes some sense we'll see the same with Wii U coming off Wii, while Wii itself had to struggle following Gamecube.
I dont think that the Wii will have much impact on WiiU to be honest. Wii 3rd party support has not been good during the last 2-3 years. So if the WiiU is coming of that, then that isnt a good sign :\ The PS2 was still very popular when the PS3 was announced. And the Vita is also a good and very recent example that the predecessor's success doesnt necessarily means much, at least to begin with.

I think that the WiiU will compete directly with the PS3 to begin with, before PS4/Xbox 720 comes out. And that is where the support will come from, PS3/WiiU multiplatform. Not only multiplatform of course, but it will be a bigger part of it i think.

I think so, yeah.
Makes sense, it looks a bit like that indeed.

Top Bottom