• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2014 (May 26 - Jun 01)

Mahjong Fight Club by Konami is good. Sega has a great arcade games that is also on mobile which is F2P.

any chance of PS4 ports?

I always see Mahjong games as a good luck charm in a gaming library for Japan
PS4 needs it, only Nintendo leaves luck to heaven.

StayDead

guyz don't give up on japan console market, keep in mind the Xbox One has yet to be released there, lets give japan another chance to redeem themselves.

redeem themselves? If anything I think it's good that consoles are having a hard time selling. It's making companies do more to actually make money which is a great thing if you're a consumer.

prag16

Banned
You mean the very same "disappointing" entry that was the best selling entry in the series by far?

Oh, I see you've already addressed this.

I didn't follow industry as closely back then, but I can't believe Mario Kart Wii in particular could have gotten the kind of positive word of mouth that MK8 is getting. The Wii on the whole just got positive word of mouth and was a sales juggernaut.

As an insanely huge fan of MK64, Double Dash was kinda disappointing and MKWii was extremely disappointing. MK8 gets the series back in business big time (note that I haven't played any handheld iterations more than a few minutes in a store). Hopefully some people share that opinion, and spread the word.

Xater

any chance of PS4 ports?

I always see Mahjong games as a good luck charm in a gaming library for Japan
PS4 needs it, only Nintendo leaves luck to heaven.

No idea. The Sega game probably does well enough in arcade and on mobile and I think Mahjong Fight Club also moved to mobile.The last retail release was on DS or PS3 I think.

Tagg9

redeem themselves? If anything I think it's good that consoles are having a hard time selling. It's making companies do more to actually make money which is a great thing if you're a consumer.

Only if their other offerings (handheld, mobile, F2P) appeal to you. And many of us here have no interest in those types of games.

No idea. The Sega game probably does well enough in arcade and on mobile and I think Mahjong Fight Club also moved to mobile.The last retail release was on DS or PS3 I think.

all resources going mobile, consoles can't catch a break even with Mahjong

thanks for the info

What they should do is focus on creating a Kantai Collection smash hit, drm-exclusive to Sony smartphones. That's how you are going to mean something in Japan. Nintendo lives because it owns what's arguably the last portable third party KA left and a few strong first party ones. Sony lost the former and will never really be able to make the latter.

Kantai collection is coming to the vita exclusively this year as it's own game.

I never purchased MKWii it never looked like an MK I wanted to try

for some reason I liked MK8 as soon as I saw it and it turned out better than I expected
too bad about the battle mode tho

Will admit guys.

Did authentically and genuinely lol.

OH COME ON IF THAT'S THE HARDWARE BUMP FROM FLIPPIN' MARIO KART AND FLIPPIN' ADVERTISING THEN WHAT AM I FIGHTING FORRRRRR

crinale

As for OG 3DS's decline I'm guessing Ninty is rather happy by that.
I mean, while they didn't spend much on processing power the hardware itself was costly.
I know they did minor revision on OG 3DS too but 3DS LL must be much more profitable.

As an insanely huge fan of MK64, Double Dash was kinda disappointing and MKWii was extremely disappointing. MK8 gets the series back in business big time (note that I haven't played any handheld iterations more than a few minutes in a store). Hopefully some people share that opinion, and spread the word.

I don't know. I just kind of figure that if you're super duper serious about the quality of your one Mario Kart entry per console, you're probably the type of person that already owned a Wii U and didn't need to wait around for strong word of mouth before taking the plunge on 8. If you simply like Mario Kart, I don't think that opinions from game to game vary that wildly among typical end users. Specifically, what I mean is just that I don't think that there's a sizable chunk of the large Mario Kart Wii playerbase that needs reassurance that this version is better.

TAS

I guessed 20k for Wii U so pretty close. It's shocking how much the home console market has shrunk in Japan. :(

Shocked at the mere 10k Wii U increase; I can't think of any game that will give the WiiU a significant bump.

Vita is continuously dropping, I'm sad.
Freedom Wars is being released exactly when?

unlikely, until FFXV/MGSV comes, PS4 will have abysmal sales

I just meant if you have to spend 41k yen for a console and 41k yen for a console plus a free game, you would buy the former ?

Of course i'm not expecting a huge bump, but at least selling more than PS3 and more close to 10k than 5k like actual sales number

Copenap

I'm just gonna be optimistic and say that we might see an additional WiiU bump next week. It just feels like MK8 produces a lot of positive word of mouth so that the sales might be lagging a bit behind.

BM8

Neo Member
Itll be interesting to see next weeks.

Them numbers account for three days of mk's release.

Ps4 dropped pretty hard, ouch.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Final Fantasy Agito

iOS

YTtF3Vq.png

After going out of top 100, it came back, and it even had a steady surge for some days, but now, it's back out of top 100. It doesn't seem this experiment worked for Square.

Android

A somewhat steady decline, no big declines followed by big rises

Also, I remember Nirolak highlighted PSO2es performance, seeing how it was first in the most downloaded chart on iOS. Well...

It seems it started well enough, then it started going quite down. Then, all of a sudden, first again. But it didn't last long, and now it goes down and down and down and down...

Any reason for that? Seasonal things involved?

daveo42

Banned
Good debut week for MK8. Glad to see people are picking it up. Sadly it seems those picking the game up are the ones who already own a Wii U. Those hardware numbers are abysmal.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Also, I remember Nirolak highlighted PSO2es performance, seeing how it was first in the most downloaded chart on iOS. Well...

It seems it started well enough, then it started going quite down. Then, all of a sudden, first again. But it didn't last long, and now it goes down and down and down and down...

Any reason for that? Seasonal things involved?

I'm guessing it was featured on the app store page and probably within the PSO2 client, downloaded by everyone who wanted it, and had no widespread appeal beyond that.

With mobile you usually need something that has a smaller file size (has to be downloadable over 3G/LTE ideally) and appeal to a notably general audience in order to keep your download rank high given we're talking pretty huge numbers to keep up in that list.

Quiz RPG just added another million in like two weeks and isn't in the top 200 most downloaded.

small44

Monsterhunter did that to PSP in Japan so he's not %100 wrong, but in Nintendo's situation its the hardware that the people dislike and thats what Iwata need to acknowledge . PSP was a good hardware for its time.

Monster Hunter only encourage other third party to make more games on PSP,Monster Hunter itself didn't save PSP

Is that the 12GB PS3 Slim, or one with a harddrive?

Super Slim with 250GB HDD

I'm not completely sure but regarding used market, maybe PS4 is more cheaper, you can already find a used system at 35k yen (6k yen cheaper), while PS3 SS are around 20k iirc, last year in June I bought a PS3 and when I realized the difference between a new model and an used one was not so much, I bought a new PS3 (Hokuto Musou 2 bundle)
Sofmap sold for a long time RGG5 and HM2 bundles, that's one of the reason both games still appeared in 2013 top500

Shahed

ahh, but isn't MGSV going to be released this year? should provide a small bump for the PS4 , otherwise near 5k levels

I suppose it could, but i'm expecting 2015. Cross gen games also appear to perform relatively worse on next gen compared to the West. I don't see anything like the apparant bump PS4 got for Watch Dog's release elsewhere

prag16

Banned
I don't know. I just kind of figure that if you're super duper serious about the quality of your one Mario Kart entry per console, you're probably the type of person that already owned a Wii U and didn't need to wait around for strong word of mouth before taking the plunge on 8. If you simply like Mario Kart, I don't think that opinions from game to game vary that wildly among typical end users. Specifically, what I mean is just that I don't think that there's a sizable chunk of the large Mario Kart Wii playerbase that needs reassurance that this version is better.

You're probably right. As I indicated from the start, I probably don't have the majority view among the general public.

Usobuko

Banned
What's the price difference between the PS3 and PS4 in Asia?

If you meant comparing PS4 price across regions, it is about US $100 more against NA's US$399. And that's the 'official' price recommended by Sony, most local retailers are greedy slimeballs who charge $50 more on top of that.

If you meant the price difference between PS3 and PS4, maybe around $250+.

mao2

is that the bad one?
Sorry I don't have this game so no idea. It's a ikasama (cheat) style mahjong game where you can buy items that help you cheat in the game (like changing your tiles or forfeiting your opponent's winning tile etc), similar to Mahjong Dream Club and Idol Janshi Suchie-Pai series. I suppose players who prefer traditional mahjong may not like it.

xk0sm0sx

This makes me wonder if SquareEnix should just consider shifting their big RPGs to handhelds, since so much more people own them over consoles nowadays.

Not like JRPGs became much better on powerful machines.

Tripon

I don't know about that. I think consumers are trained to expect new sequels to come out eventually. Its been 3 years since MK7, 6 years since MKwii. People will see there's another Mario Kart and want that. Of course the price barrier might stop or delay that will negatively impact sales.

Top Bottom