• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2011 (Jul 04 - Jul 10)

[Nintex]

weeaboo said:
Gaming industry in Japan need a kick in the balls ASAP
We need PS4 or Wii U and Kaz or Iwata pulling a 'rally the troops' Kutaragi to drag them out of this ditch and I'm not sure if that is enough.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Famitsu gave LA Noire a near perfect score, a 39/40. So I'm sure that boosted sales.
They give that score to pretty much any Rockstar game or "western game that should sell decently" (GTA4, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, CoD MW, Black Ops).

Jomjom

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Of course there is. Don't let 3DS have a holiday season without competition.

Yeah the PSP isn't going to sell forever. Release the Vita this holiday with MoHun and you beat the 3DS in sales right from the start instead of waiting years like the PSP did before outselling the DS.

LA Noire at #1 doesn't surprise me at all either. Japanese people are enamored with LA. I would say they like LA just as much as NY if not more so. My Japanese friends get all hyped when they get to vacation in LA and always want to go see UCLA for some reason. I always tell them LA is boring as hell.

It's not unlike how American people buy Yakuza because of the recreation of Tokyo. I mean except for the fact that Yakuza doesn't chart because US game sales are in the millions and not the tens of thousands.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Japan buys western games, because no decent games are coming out.....that's sad. I miss SNES, PS2 and DS times...

It just shows many people don't buy consoles for the games, but because of the brand.

boingball said:
The 3DS had a nice run.
Surprised that the Top 4 are all Western games though.

Uh... they all came out this week.

Truth101

Banned
jling84 said:
Yeah the PSP isn't going to sell forever. Release the Vita this holiday with MoHun and you beat the 3DS in sales right from the start instead of waiting years like the PSP did before outselling the DS.

LA Noire at #1 doesn't surprise me at all either. Japanese people are enamored with LA. I would say they like LA just as much as NY if not more so. My Japanese friends get all hyped when they get to vacation in LA and always want to go see UCLA for some reason. I always tell them LA is boring as hell.

It's not unlike how American people buy Yakuza because of the recreation of Tokyo. I mean except for the fact that Yakuza doesn't chart because US game sales are in the millions and not the tens of thousands.

The PSP was outselling the DS when it launched.

M3d10n

jling84 said:
It's amusing how suddenly the PSVita makes it possible for high quality software to materialize out of thin air in under one year.

BKK

Western developed game sales:

Year / Titles / Share
2010 / 282 / 7.1%
2009 / 216 / 4.7%
2008 / 234 / 4.6%
2007 / 162 / 4.5%
2006 / 147 / 2.6%

2010 Top5:
01. [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) - 559.968
02. [NDS] Art Academy (Nintendo) - 262.797
03. [NDS] Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! (Nintendo) - 213.191
04. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Square Enix) - 198.374
05. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Libery City (Take-Two) - 120.600

2009 Top5:
01. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 164.619
02. [PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (SCE) - 97.865
03. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare [Legendary Hits] (Square Enix) - 96.913
04. [PS3] Killzone 2 (SCE) - 86.912
05. [PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) - 86.195

2008 Top5:
01. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) - 195.779
02. [PS3] LittleBigPlanet (SCE) - 99.984
03. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) - 93.265
04. [PS3] Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft) - 82.459
05. [WII] Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Nintendo) - 74.647

Source: Weekly Famitsu #1175

M3d10n said:
It's amusing how suddenly the PSVita makes it possible for high quality software to materialize out of thin air in under one year.
Well, the only way that would happen is if Capcom did an enhanced MHP3 port, which everyone is expecting anyway. Why can't that be ready for December?

ampere

L.A. Noire
7770 Japanese yen = 98.3666 US dollars

Wow, the Japanese have to pay a lot of money for that game.

4800 Japanese yen = 60.7670 US dollars

That's the lowest price I see. I guess I really take the prices in the US for granted. I rarely buy a game for over $20.

Dragon

Banned
ciaossu said:
L.A. Noire
7770 Japanese yen = 98.3666 US dollars

Wow, the Japanese have to pay a lot of money for that game.

4800 Japanese yen = 60.7670 US dollars

That's the lowest price I see. I guess I really take the prices in the US for granted. I rarely buy a game for over $20.

Perhaps I'm just a moron but in the Japanese economy "1 american dollar" might be worth something differently than "1 american dollar" in America.

BKK

tOfDR.jpg

Edit:

Takao said:
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong wasn't developed in the west.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Software_Technology

Leona Lewis said:
Well, the only way that would happen is if Capcom did an enhanced MHP3 port, which everyone is expecting anyway. Why can't that be ready for December?
I thought everyone expected Capcom to do what they already announced: release MHP3 on PSN as is and let Vita owners buy it with some logical control remapping. No port, no new content, but you can buy the same game again if you want.

lunchwithyuzo said:
I thought everyone expected Capcom to do what they already announced: release MHP3 on PSN as is and let Vita owners buy it with some logical control remapping. No port, no new content, but you can buy the same game again if you want.

It will be a huge fail on Sony's part if the PSP Remasters are not playable on Vita.

RobertM said:
I feel like it's becoming the new PSP of the old era.

Nah, because Nintendo will actually be supporting it with quality titles. Something that Sony didn't really do outside of a few instances on the PSP.

Dragon

Banned
AceBandage said:
Nah, because Nintendo will actually be supporting it with quality titles. Something that Sony didn't really do outside of a few instances on the PSP.

Sony's first party efforts on the PSP were pretty pedestrian but so far the 3DS has almost nothing. I do agree though Nintendo won't let it die. The thing is going to sell.

jeremy1456

RobertM said:
I feel like it's becoming the new PSP of the old era.

So far it's doing fairly similar to how the original DS did at this point, so wouldn't it be safer to call it the new DS?

mutsu

If Super Mario 3DS and Mario Kart 3DS both makes it out before the end of the year as promised, watch the sales of the handheld sky rocket!

It's actually really hard to have the handheld be dead. Just do a price drop, or bundle Mario Kart with every 3DS, and we already have hotcakes in the making.

jeremy1456

mutsu said:
If Super Mario 3DS and Mario Kart 3DS both makes it out before the end of the year as promised, watch the sales of the handheld sky rocket!

It's actually really hard to have the handheld be dead. Just do a price drop, or bundle Mario Kart with every 3DS, and we already have hotcakes in the making.

I'm sure that they don't even need to go that far - just release Mario Kart 3DS and it will skyrocket.

lol at the top 3 games. Pretty cool more than anything. It would be nice to have a future where western games were accepted and bought in Japan, and niche Japanese titles were accepted and bought here.

But....yeah :p

klee123

Takao said:
But surprisingly there aren't any "3DS has no games" trolls.

There weren't many defenders of the PSP compared to the 3DS. Now instead of trolling the PSP, they're doing full time damage controlling the 3DS.

jeremy1456

klee123 said:
There weren't many defenders of the PSP compared to the 3DS. Now instead of trolling the PSP, they're doing full time damage controlling the 3DS.

Revisionist history.

It's been pretty equal on both sides.

ampere

TheBranca18 said:
Perhaps I'm just a moron but in the Japanese economy "1 american dollar" might be worth something differently than "1 american dollar" in America.
That's true, $xx.xx isn't the standard by which a Japanese person will judge the cost of a game purchase.

It's still a sobering reminder that some things are much cheaper in the US than in other countries. I got a similar feeling when I looked at gas prices while studying abroad in Europe, several Euros per liter.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Yes it was, by NST.

If things developed by NST count as being western developed, why isn't Dead Rising 2 on that list? That was most certainly developed in the west and according to famitsu sold over 130,000+

ciaossu said:
It's still a sobering reminder that some things are much cheaper in the US than in other countries. I got a similar feeling when I looked at gas prices while studying abroad in Europe, several Euros per liter.

If it helps the suggested retailer price for DQ6 when it came out was some ridiculous 11,400~ yen. Japanese really don't look at the prices of their game relative to the exchange rate(although Appstore just lowered all app prices 25% due to exchange rate)

klee123

I must say, Gust must be really happy with Meruru's sales. Maybe it'll do 140-150K when it's all said and done.

The sales of EDF. It would be hillarious if the next Japanese developed HD EDF continues to be 360 exclusive.

BKK

I guess Blue Castle Games and Capcom (Production Studio 1) are considered by Famitsu to be co-developers of Dead Rising 2, whereas NST are considered the sole developers of Mario Vs. Donkey Kong. So partnerships between Western and Japanese studios aren't counted.

Top Bottom