• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2011 (Jul 04 - Jul 10)

Truth101

Banned
Lord_Byron28 said:
Playstation ecosystem outselling Nintendo ecosystem.

Tell that to Reggie lol.

Touché my friend.
I couldn't remember if it was ecosystem or family used in that one Sony NPD I guess it was ecosystem

On a more seriousn ote, this weeks sales should be interesting. I'd like to see what kind of appeal Starfox as a brand has left, or will it be nostalgia that drives most of the sales.

Also, new colors always do well in driving sales.

Truth101 said:
On a more seriousn ote, this weeks sales should be interesting. I'd like to see what kind of appeal Starfox as a brand has left, or will it be nostalgia that drives most of the sales.

I'm going to guess not too much after how much they have run it into the ground. That plus i'm not sure a remake is the best way to gauge how much interest a proper star fox could garner.

Takao

Banned
BKK said:
I guess Blue Castle Games and Capcom (Production Studio 1) are considered by Famitsu to be co-developers of Dead Rising 2, whereas NST are considered the sole developers of Mario Vs. Donkey Kong. So partnerships between Western and Japanese studios aren't counted.

But apparently Art Academy was a co-pro as well...

Truth101 said:

Also, new colors always do well in driving sales.
I really hope Starfox does decently. Miyamoto said that they might not do another one if it doesn't sell well, although it was apparently said he was joking. Either way it'd be nice for Nintendo to put a serious effort to the franchise since they didn't seem to try after SF64 and outsourced every title since.

Sales-AGE is always most active when Sony is outselling Nintendo

it was way too boring around here for way too long... at least until the next Nintendo Juggernaut

jeremy1456

Smiles and Cries said:

it was way too boring around here for way too long... at least until the next Nintendo Juggernaut

This time next year I wonder if Media Create topics will even get to page 2.

BKK

I'm no expert on this, but according to Wikipedia;

Nintendo SPD Group No.3

Manager/producer: Kensuke Tanabe
Responsible for overseeing the development of titles by overseas and outhouse teams.

It seems that they just oversee overseas development rather than actually devlop. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Smiles and Cries said:

I seem to remember these threads being 1000+ posts long back when Nintendo first started going gangbusters with DS.

itprintsmoney.gif

onken

Smiles and Cries said:

It's a unusal week with the all the western games in the top 10. Also last week was just as active with people fawning over Goldeneye Wii sales.

Zen

Banned
sales age becomes a hotbed for discussing trends in the industry, so it's only natural that the post counts are much higher when we're seeing shifts in trends and what not. When things are business as usual sales age is fairly muted.

Ravage

2008 Top5:
01. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) - 195.779
02. [PS3] LittleBigPlanet (SCE) - 99.984
03. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) - 93.265
04. [PS3] Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft) - 82.459
05. [WII] Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Nintendo) - 74.647

I know this was before COD's popularity skyrocketed but it's heartwarming to see LBP outselling COD.

klee123 said:
I must say, Gust must be really happy with Meruru's sales. Maybe it'll do 140-150K when it's all said and done.

The sales of EDF. It would be hillarious if the next Japanese developed HD EDF continues to be 360 exclusive.

Gust has done an incredible job this gen and it makes me really happy to see their HD gamble paying off. Wish Tri-Ace could change their minds and give consoles another shot :(

neptunes

There's absolutely Zero reason to release the Vita in japan this year. Of all the regions that could wait, it's Japan. The regular PSP will still sell a lot this fall.\

Arguably the biggest PSP game of its lifetime has yet to be released (type-0) and I'm sure it will have no problem moving units.

I think the biggest mistake most users make in these topics is to consider THE WEEK as the fundamental unit to analyse the behaviour of a console (or a game). ISimply, it's not reasonable. Platforms trend must be judged at least on a monthly basis, considering the period (March is different from November) and the run of the other platforms in the market.
If 3DS sells 22.000 in one week, but in a month the behaviour is quite constant, with some peaks in occasion with important games, well, it won't be bad.
On the other hand, PSP has a momentum which allows it to sell, and to be the platform to buy; it has games, and it could enter in the transition between DS and 3DS in an elegant manner, targeting the userbase with a proper line-up. But as we could see, it's approaching PS2 LTD without having no million seller outside Monster Hunter Portable titles (and maybe Dissidia) and no big new IPs as DS had, which is a problem to consider in my opinion.
3DS will take time to affirm itself in the market; I think the best moment to see this will be the Christmas period, with a huge line-up in commercial terms; it's unlikely to view 3DS as a failure, with a brand that ALONE will sell at least 5 million copies (namely Pokémon), and other strong IP as Mario and Animal Crossing.
The problem for Nintendo is to impose something new and fresh, which will be only on 3DS and it will make it almost compelling as Brain Training did during DS heyday. I think Nintendo has the resources and the capacity to start a new phenomenon (I mean, they sold 3,5 million copies of Tomodachi Collection), even if we haven't seen anything yet and this may be problematic, since it seems the company wants to rely upon established franchises and to not put effort on new IP (Steel Diver was a total failure).

BKK

Ravage said:
I know this was before COD's popularity skyrocketed but it's heartwarming to see LBP outselling COD.

COD released in 2007 though, those are just it's sales in 2008. It's total sales were 113,957 through 2008.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
neptunes said:
There's absolutely Zero reason to release the Vita in japan this year. Of all the regions that could wait, it's Japan. The regular PSP will still sell a lot this fall.\

Arguably the biggest PSP game of its lifetime has yet to be released (type-0) and I'm sure it will have no problem moving units.

What
It's a game that I really like, but it can't be a giga seller like MH :p
And i quote Elektro, especially because I see some doom and gloom the week before the new color, when it's normal to see a drop of a console.

mutsu

neptunes said:

The same could have been said for Nintendo DS.

You try to make the transition on a high, rather than waiting for the system to dry up first. Wii is a really bad example of how generation transition to be done if there wasn't Dragon Quest X to save the day.

Celine

neptunes said:

the biggest psp game of is lifetime was released six months ago.

DiscoJer

neptunes said:

While it looks impressive, I think Crisis Core was the biggest one from Square.

I mean, isn't this pretty much a SRPG? Or rather , a RTS/SRPG hybrid thing? I can see it doing half a million, but not that much more...

Noshino

neptunes said:

Except for this

Chris1964 said:
Of course there is. Don't let 3DS have a holiday season without competition.

Sony has to take advantage of the PSP's current position, otherwise juggernauts like Mario Kart 3DS or Super Mario 3DS could decide the fate of the Vita before it gets released.

Noshino said:
Except for this

Sony has to take advantage of the PSP's current position, otherwise juggernauts like Mario Kart 3DS or Super Mario 3DS could decide the fate of the Vita before it gets released.

I love black and white thinking...

Takao

Banned
DiscoJer said:

I mean, isn't this pretty much a SRPG? Or rather , a RTS/SRPG hybrid thing? I can see it doing half a million, but not that much more...

No, Type-0 is a full on Action-RPG and seems to be rivaling the main Final Fantasy games in ambition.

DiscoJer said:

Type-0 should do more than 500k but i not certain how much more.

DiscoJer

Takao said:
No, Type-0 is a full on Action-RPG and seems to be rivaling the main Final Fantasy games in ambition.

Yeah, but I thought it was like a strategy RPG on the top level, then the combat was actiony?

Hmmm, wikipedia (I know) says

. The 12 heroes will travel from town to town getting missions, then discover enemy strongholds and carry out the missions. Based on what the mission calls for, players will be urged to switch their starting 3 party members for effectiveness. With each character specializing in a different weapon and elemental spell, each will have drastic variations of strengths and weaknesses. Summons will run on time limits (about 5 minutes), and if they are KO'd in battle, they will have to be revived in towns before being called again.

Sounds like a SRPG + Crisis Core combat..

Mpl90

The top10 of 3DS updated to 03/07/11

[3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles (Level 5) - 117.589 / 298.637 / 39,38%
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) - 182.998 / 249.279 / 73,41%
[3DS] Nintendogs+cats (Nintendo) - 68.973 / 247.611 / 27,86%
[3DS] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Bandai Namco) - 76.578 / 121.961 / 62,79%
[3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (Koei Tecmo) - 43.044 / 114.916 / 37,46%
[3DS] Super Street Fighter 3D Edition (Capcom) - 38.557 / 99.334 / 38,82%
[3DS] Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom) - 61.306 / 92.733 / 66,11%
[3DS] Ridge Racer 3D (Bandai Namco) - 34.663 / 80.945 / 42,82%
[3DS] Winning Eleven 3DSoccer (Konami) - 26.222 / 79.456 / 33,00%
[3DS] Tales of the Abyss (Bandai Namco) - 68.218 / 68.218 / 100,00%

Famitsu's data

mutsu

Mpl90 said:
The top10 of 3DS updated to 26/06/11

[3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles (Level 5) - 117.589 / 298.637 / 39,38%
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) - 182.998 / 249.279 / 73,41%
[3DS] Nintendogs+cats (Nintendo) - 68.973 / 247.611 / 27,86%
[3DS] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Bandai Namco) - 76.578 / 121.961 / 62,79%
[3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (Koei Tecmo) - 43.044 / 114.916 / 37,46%
[3DS] Super Street Fighter 3D Edition (Capcom) - 38.557 / 99.334 / 38,82%
[3DS] Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom) - 61.306 / 92.733 / 66,11%
[3DS] Ridge Racer 3D (Bandai Namco) - 34.663 / 80.945 / 42,82%
[3DS] Winning Eleven 3DSoccer (Konami) - 26.222 / 79.456 / 33,00%
[3DS] Tales of the Abyss (Bandai Namco) - 68.218 / 68.218 / 100,00%

Famitsu's data

Nice to see Layton chucking along. At least those numbers should convince Level 5 that the 3DS platform continues to be viable for the franchise.

Surprised that Samurai Warriors: Chronicles can do over 100K too. Must be launch game effect?

Mpl90

mutsu said:
Nice to see Layton chucking along. At least those numbers should convince Level 5 that the 3DS platform continues to be viable for the franchise.

Consider also that Layton is NOT updated as other games, because it is not in the top30 anymore.
So, it is already over 300k. Let's see if the new cover will give new life to Layton and Nintendogs.
...And here I ask again to everyone living in Japan when the new cover will be on the market XD

P.S. Oops, now that I note it, the top10 is updated to 03/07/2011, because of the presence of Abyss XD
And however, Zelda for Famitsu has done 26k more than what MC says. Some things never change

As a matter of fact, Layton on 3DS has lost AT LEAST 300k from the previous entry, which is BAD in my opinion also taking in account it was a launch software and so on. Let's see if the next chapter will do more (surely) and how in the case.
I also see Inazuma Eleven GO sent out to die.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
electroplankton said:
I think the biggest mistake most users make in these topics is to consider THE WEEK as the fundamental unit to analyse the behaviour of a console (or a game). ISimply, it's not reasonable. Platforms trend must be judged at least on a monthly basis, considering the period (March is different from November) and the run of the other platforms in the market.
If 3DS sells 22.000 in one week, but in a month the behaviour is quite constant, with some peaks in occasion with important games, well, it won't be bad.
On the other hand, PSP has a momentum which allows it to sell, and to be the platform to buy; it has games, and it could enter in the transition between DS and 3DS in an elegant manner, targeting the userbase with a proper line-up. But as we could see, it's approaching PS2 LTD without having no million seller outside Monster Hunter Portable titles (and maybe Dissidia) and no big new IPs as DS had, which is a problem to consider in my opinion.
3DS will take time to affirm itself in the market; I think the best moment to see this will be the Christmas period, with a huge line-up in commercial terms; it's unlikely to view 3DS as a failure, with a brand that ALONE will sell at least 5 million copies (namely Pokémon), and other strong IP as Mario and Animal Crossing.
The problem for Nintendo is to impose something new and fresh, which will be only on 3DS and it will make it almost compelling as Brain Training did during DS heyday. I think Nintendo has the resources and the capacity to start a new phenomenon (I mean, they sold 3,5 million copies of Tomodachi Collection), even if we haven't seen anything yet and this may be problematic, since it seems the company wants to rely upon established franchises and to not put effort on new IP (Steel Diver was a total failure).
I totally agree with you on this, but I feel the biggest problem they face is that the 3DS doesn't actually offer a new form of input to base this new game on.

Wii Sports and Wii Play had motion controls, Wii Fit had the balance board, and the DS had two screens and a touch screen.

The only feature the 3DS offers that isn't offered elsewhere is autostereoscopic 3D, and that's kind of hard to build a game around in the same way their other creations allowed.

Will they be able to make 3D gaming as compelling to consumers as touch or motion controls? I'm very skeptical on that.

Assuming they can't base their breakthrough new idea on a new hardware feature, they then have to invent something that's unique and vastly appealing to their extended audience while still having the game largely based upon what Nintendo has already been working with for the past 6-8 years. I think this is quite a challenge, and given that every major game they have shown so far is part of one of their existing franchises, I am not convinced they are having much luck coming up with a solution.

mutsu

electroplankton said:
As a matter of fact, Layton on 3DS has lost AT LEAST 300k from the previous entry, which is BAD in my opinion also taking in account it was a launch software and so on. Let's see if the next chapter will do more (surely) and how in the case.

True that it lost 300K sales, but the series was already on a downward spiral in terms of sales, losing about 100K per entry in the series before the 5th on 3DS. Also given the fact that people have to buy handheld + game, and the high cost associated with it, to enjoy the game, I think Level 5 should at least be "satisfied" with the sales.

noobie

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
This time next year I wonder if Media Create topics will even get to page 2.
i think as long as Media Create is giving us numbers the topic will be more than 2 page.. rather more than 5 page... the day they decide to stop giving numbers, these topics will become dead like PAL topics with 1 or atmost 2 pages. :p

Cygnus X-1

Chris1964 said:
Next week's releases {2011.07.21} with estimated initial shipments from azalyn

[WII] Rhythm Heaven | ETC | (Nintendo) {2011.07.21} | ¥5.800 | - 150.000

Expect this to do well.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
DiscoJer said:
Yeah, but I thought it was like a strategy RPG on the top level, then the combat was actiony?

Hmmm, wikipedia (I know) says

Sounds like a SRPG + Crisis Core combat..
How is that anything like an SRPG? Anyway, it's a multiplayer focused action RPG.

Mpl90

Nirolak said:
I totally agree with you on this, but I feel the biggest problem they face is that the 3DS doesn't actually offer a new form of input to base this new game on.

Wii Sports and Wii Play had motion controls, Wii Fit had the balance board, and the DS had two screens and a touch screen.

The only feature the 3DS offers that isn't offered elsewhere is autostereoscopic 3D, and that's kind of hard to build a game around in the same way their other creations allowed.

Will they be able to make 3D gaming as compelling to consumers as touch or motion controls? I'm very skeptical on that.

Assuming they can't base their breakthrough new idea on a new hardware feature, they then have to invent something that's unique and vastly appealing to their extended audience while still having the game largely based upon what Nintendo has already been working with for the past 6-8 years. I think this is quite a challenge, and given that every major game they have shown so far is part of one of their existing franchises, I am not convinced they are having much luck coming up with a solution.

The fact is that Nintendo is so secretive about what it is doing that the next phenom could appear out of nowhere.
Just like Tomodachi, a game that can seem to be something cheap, but has lots and lots of studies behind. And Nintendo is great in understand the audience.
However, the next mass-appeal games like BT3 must be at least at a price 1000 yen inferior to the normal (4800 Yen), or even at budget one: this made the fortune of BT1 e 2 (no?), and this is necessary especially with a console at 25000 Yen like the 3DS

Nirolak said:

It's not necessary to create something unique thanks to the feature of the console; it's sufficient to create something unique for the console, no matter the gameplay will be. Monster Hunter Portable success found its way on local connection which is present in handheld market since the Game Boy (even if with a cable); Animal Crossing success was based on the fact that the game is wonderful on a handheld device, more than on a home console. Tomodachi Collection doesn't use DS characteristics in a particular way. There are many examples in this sense.
Plus, 3DS still have two screen, which is a feature that can be hardly find elsewhere and can be exploited furtherly for some concepts.
3D can be also used for an exclusive game which may appeal on a broader audience, something like "furnish your home" or "feed your fish in the real-like aquarium!".

mutsu said:
True that it lost 300K sales, but the series was already on a downward spiral in terms of sales, losing about 100K per entry in the series before the 5th on 3DS. Also given the fact that people have to buy handheld + game, and the high cost associated with it, to enjoy the game, I think Level 5 should at least be "satisfied" with the sales.

Probably Level 5 would have covered production costs even with 100k copies, but losing 300k with the new entry cannot be entirely included in the downward trend of the series because of many factors (one episode a year, saturation, and so on); I'm sure the game will reach 350-400k units, since it will sell well during holiday season, and I do hope the last chapter will rise untile 500k copies, perhaps by presenting it as the DEFINITIVE LAYTON GAME WHERE ALL WILL BE EXPLAINED or something like that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mpl90 said:
The fact is that Nintendo is so secretive about what it is doing that the next phenom could appear out of nowhere.
Just like Tomodachi, a game that can seem to be something cheap, but has lots and lots of studies behind. And Nintendo is great in understand the audience.
However, the next mass-appeal games like BT3 must be at least at a price 1000 yen inferior to the normal (4800 Yen), or even at budget one: this made the fortune of BT1 e 2 (no?), and this is necessary especially with a console at 25000 Yen like the 3DS
electroplankton said:
It's not necessary to create something unique thanks to the feature of the console; it's sufficient to create something unique for the console, no matter the gameplay will be. Monster Hunter Portable success found its way on local connection which is present in handheld market since the Game Boy (even if with a cable); Animal Crossing success was based on the fact that the game is wonderful on a handheld device, more than on a home console. Tomodachi Collection doesn't use DS characteristics in a particular way. There are many examples in this sense.
Plus, 3DS still have two screen, which is a feature that can be hardly find elsewhere and can be exploited furtherly for some concepts.
3D can be also used for an exclusive game which may appeal on a broader audience, something like "furnish your home" or "feed your fish in the real-like aquarium!".
Both these statements are certainly true, however, I feel they've had notably less success in creating these kinds of hits in recent years, which is why I remain skeptical.

Mpl90

Nirolak said:
Both these statements are certainly true, however, I feel they've had notably less success in creating these kinds of hits in recent years, which is why I remain skeptical.

Wii Party came out last year.
1.9 millions, almost.
And we have seen that the line Wii_____ certainly means more possibility of great sales, but not with certainty.
Let's think about Wii Music... or Wii Play: Motion.
The idea behind Wii Party was so much solid that it outsold even Mario Party 8.
Things like FlingSmash, or Steel Diver have NOT had the same studies of the very hits, such as Brain Training

DiscoJer

Sage00 said:
How is that anything like an SRPG? Anyway, it's a multiplayer focused action RPG.

Okay, how about this description of the world map, then

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/24/all-about-final-fantasy-type-0s-active-world-map/

In the world of Final Fantasy Type-0, all nations are under constant attack. While you’re walking on the world map you can be attacked by enemies. Players get missions from the military command like striking specific spots on enemy territory. Other times you will have to reclaim bases rivals took over. Defeat the commander and the town is once again yours. Capturing towns allows players to visit shops and buy items specific to the territory.

That sounds like an SRPG, with the S (or strategy) part being the top layer.

Nirolak said:

This is because DS was milked as hell and on the sunset boulevard, but we can still find examples in recent years: Tomodachi Collection (3,5 million copies), Art Academy (+300.000 copies and quite big overseas), Rhythm Tengoku Gold was totally a surprise 3 years ago (almost 2 million copies), Stile Savvy (900.000 copies), Writing Training (560.000 copies).
Obviously, phenomena cannot be created on a monthly basis; once the training mania had exploded on handheld and the fitness mania on home consoles, it took years to find a new product which will create market euphoria. Nintendo can do it, even if I don't see how at the moment.

Hyuga

Banned
btw.: Professor Layton is a Level-5 ip, right?
So it could end on the Vita as well, or..... am I mistaken?
(Publishing rights / exclusiv rights / moneyhats -> Nintendo, etc.)

Gravijah

DiscoJer said:
That sounds like an SRPG, with the S (or strategy) part being the top layer.

Just sounds like territory wars to me. Awesome territory wars, mind you. I'm sure I'll get addicted to it...

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Hyuga said:

Nintendo publishes the series overseas and even if Level 5 publish by itself in Japan, it's very unlikely it'll renounce to such a great partner; Level 5 is on the top also thanks to Nintendo in my opinion.

Takao

Banned
Hyuga said:

Yes, Professor Layton, Inazuma 11, Ni No Kuni, and The Little Battlers Xperience are all Level-5 IPs and can go to whatever platform Level-5 wishes.

electroplankton said:
Nintendo publishes the series overseas and even if Level 5 publish by itself in Japan, it's very unlikely it'll renounce to such a great partner; Level 5 is on the top also thanks to Nintendo in my opinion.

Level-5 now has a US branch, they'll likely publish all Layton entries starting with the 3DS one.

You have to remember that Level-5 was originally a Sony partner, and switched teams as soon as they saw a market to do so.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mpl90 said:
Wii Party came out last year.
1.9 millions, almost.
And we have seen that the line Wii_____ certainly means more possibility of great sales, but not with certainty.
Let's think about Wii Music... or Wii Play: Motion.
The idea behind Wii Party was so much solid that it outsold even Mario Party 8.
Things like FlingSmash, or Steel Diver have NOT had the same studies of the very hits, such as Brain Training
Oh, I'm not talking about good selling software, as they can definitely make that.

I mean games that can become ultra casual sensations and eventually get over 10-20+ million units, thus helping to sell the system to tens of millions of casual gamers.

As it stands, the only title they have announced that I think can reach that range is Mario Kart. A Pokemon game is obviously coming, but there's always the question of when.

I'm also not entirely convinced in the sales power of some of their backlog. For example, Nintendogs sold over 22 million copies, but I'm having an extremely hard time imagining Nintendogs and Cats even doing a fourth of that.

Can Animal Crossing still break 10 million units? Can Brain Training still break 18 million?

If they can't, Nintendo needs something to replace them. Will Super Mario 3DS sell great? Almost assuredly, but I don't think it's the answer to their problem, which is why I wonder where their next casual sensation is coming from.

Their system can still be very successful without these kinds of hits, but I feel it would do notably less than the DS if it lacked them.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
electroplankton said:
You do realize that Layton sold that much on Hardware which had a userbase 20-30x times as big as the 3ds has right now .... Some expectations are just unrealistic. Guess some people expect the next MH Game on Vita to sell 4-5 million just like Portable 3rd.

@nirolak
This isn't a Nintendo specific issue - every publisher needs new break out hit even if they have a strong portfolio of known ips. I think you are being a little to hard on the 3DS ( just as most gaffers).... The start was weak, but they have big games comin and those titles will sell hardware.

Top Bottom