• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2015 (Jun 29 - Jul 05)

Mario007

Well, it is clear that Namco hopes to be the large fish in a small pod - Digimon IP is better suited for 3DS audience (and Digimon DS games sold the best in the last decade) but the company probably fears the competition with Pokémon and Yo-kai Watch.

Did you read the post you quoted? Namco put out CS as a more older skewing digimon title and as such Vita was the fit for it (this was probably due to Tri being also older skewing). Now when they want to go to the more kid friendly audience they simply can't justify the cost of rebuilding their framework for the 3DS since they already have a capable Vita engine.

Did you read the post you quoted? Namco put out CS as a more older skewing digimon title and as such Vita was the fit for it (this was probably due to Tri being also older skewing). Now when they want to go to the more kid friendly audience they simply can't justify the cost of rebuilding their framework for the 3DS since they already have a capable Vita engine.

Indeed; on 3DS you have both the younger audience and the older one. I cannot think of a better platform for a monster-breeding game. Of course, the investment has already been undertaken and therefore it must pay off in the long-term; it's not that Cyber Sleuth did spectacularly.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
well then.... Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 for 3DS
http://gamestalk.net/dqmj3/

Consider me absolutely, dreadfully, completely and unquestionably shocked that the next game in the Monster series is, indeed, on a Nintendo handheld. I was expecting Nintendo's support from Square to completely stop after DQVIII. And by stop, I mean nothing at all, forever and ever, for the eternityand beyond. Legit shook. I mean, woah.

Hellraider

Consider me absolutely, dreadfully, completely and unquestionably shocked that the next game in the Monster series is, indeed, on a Nintendo handheld. I was expecting Nintendo's support from Square to completely stop after DQVIII. And by stop, I mean nothing at all, forever and ever, for the eternityand beyond. Legit shook. I mean, woah.

Cant wait for the inevitable "DQXI is gonna be a 3DS game after all" comments!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Cant wait for the inevitable "DQXI is gonna be a 3DS game after all" comments!

Naaah, at this point, DQXI really seems to be a PS4 affair at least, and probably 3DS won't be involved at all.

Mario007

Indeed; on 3DS you have both the younger audience and the older one. I cannot think of a better platform for a monster-breeding game. Of course, the investment has already been undertaken and therefore it must pay off in the long-term; it's not that Cyber Sleuth did spectacularly.

Didn't CS do well for a Digimon game? I remember reports of the gaming being sold out in its first week.

I don't know much about the older audience on Nintendo platforms. I haven't really seen any evidence of that and certainly all publishers are going to 3DS with the younger audience in mind rather than the older one.

L~A

The real surprise is that they're continuing the Joker series. I was wondering if they'd do a clean break and make a new DQM series.

End of gen really isn't the best time to do that. It's much better to try something new with brand new hardware, in general.

Didn't CS do well for a Digimon game? I remember reports of the gaming being sold out in its first week.

I don't know much about the older audience on Nintendo platforms. I haven't really seen any evidence of that and certainly all publishers are going to 3DS with the younger audience in mind rather than the older one.

Digimon did well according to expectations (around 120k) - but its LTD is still lower than games such as Re:Digitize on PSP (153k) and Digimon Story (217k) or Digimon World (185k) on DS.

I don't think Cyber Sleuth is aimed at an audience above 30s; 3DS is perfectly capable of attracting an older audience than usual, as the Pokémon X/Y's demographic adoption rate showed. Also, Monster Hunter is a popular IP across older audiences than elementary school kids.

That said, a monster breeding game is perfectly fit for a Nintendo handheld in my opinion, even if it attracts an older audience. Then, of course, if 120k units are enough, then PSV should be fine apparently.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I half expect YW3 to actually launch on 3DS and NX, and for that summer release rumor to actually be true even if it means coming before the holidays just to replace the 3DS (and regain lost modern software) before losing too much time/ground.

about 14 hours into busters and, other than the obvious, it is opening up a scenario where
Busters might actually see a few later levels set in America given the plot and therefore be a minor bridge to set up some pre-story (though Keita is not in the game)

I guess the question now is one of timing on YW3

Mario007

Digimon did well according to expectations (around 120k) - but its LTD is still lower than games such as Re:Digitize on PSP (153k) and Digimon Story (217k) or Digimon World (185k) on DS.

I don't think Cyber Sleuth is aimed at an audience above 30s; 3DS is perfectly capable of attracting an older audience than usual, as the Pokémon X/Y's demographic adoption rate showed. Also, Monster Hunter is a popular IP across older audiences than elementary school kids.

That said, a monster breeding game is perfectly fit for a Nintendo handheld in my opinion, even if it attracts an older audience. Then, of course, if 120k units are enough, then PSV should be fine apparently.

Let's not pretend that putting it on 3DS would magically make CS sell much better than it did on the PSV. This implied matra of everything will sell better on 3DS is a bit tiring to be honest.

When CS was being developed I doubt Namco even thought of YW so your only argument for putting it on 3DS is Pokemon really with no other game really catching on. We've also seen that simply because a console has one big seller in a given category it doesn't mean other IPs in such a genre will start flourishing. FF monster hunter knock-off can attest to that, or even games like GE on the PSP never really got to the MH numbers (nowhere near in fact). Rayman Legends did nowhere near the numbers of New Super Mario Bros on Wii U etc.

Arzehn

It was sold out for multiple weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if it outsold re:digitize if you include digital.

It's going to sell a lot in the west on PS4 and Vita as well.

Let's not pretend that putting it on 3DS would magically make CS sell much better than it did on the PSV. This implied matra of everything will sell better on 3DS is a bit tiring to be honest.

Agreed.

sense

When CS was being developed I doubt Namco even thought of YW so your only argument for putting it on 3DS is Pokemon really with no other game really catching on. We've also seen that simply because a console has one big seller in a given category it doesn't mean other IPs in such a genre will start flourishing. FF monster hunter knock-off can attest to that, or even games like GE on the PSP never really got to the MH numbers (nowhere near in fact). Rayman Legends did nowhere near the numbers of New Super Mario Bros on Wii U etc.
Did you forget who you were talking too?

lherre

Accurate
q_Ey_PK.png

Obviously this is a joke post so I hope no one is offended by it.

I didn't think stating that monster breeding games are better suited for Nintendo handheld platforms is quite a reaching declaration... That's why we see DQM games being million sellers on Nintendo hardware, and plenty of successful games in the same genre - Yo-Kai Watch, Fossil Fighters, Digimon itself. I think that the monster breeding genre is one of the most straightforward cases where imitators should appear on the same platform if they want to reach very high numbers. Only PS1 was able to have a high-selling game in that genre, and was Monster Rancher over 500k.

Then, I also said that it's fine if Bamco is following a "large fish, small pod" strategy as long as this pays off; I'm doubtful Digimon will sell "a lot" in Western markets but we'll see.

Oh, and I hope I can still write my opinion, if it's not against ToS without having any user making fun of me, thanks.

test_account

XP-39C²

There is also Gaist Crusher from Capcom. On paper, it sounded like something that could be really popular, but it failed.

It could go both ways. Really hard to know in many cases, in my opinion, if one game could have done much better or worse on one system than another since each game is an unique case.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if DQM will get a bigger push than normal.

There's a really proven audience for this stuff beyond one series now and DQM's sales were large to begin with.

BriBri

about 14 hours into busters and, other than the obvious, it is opening up a scenario where
Busters might actually see a few later levels set in America given the plot and therefore be a minor bridge to set up some pre-story (though Keita is not in the game)

I guess the question now is one of timing on YW3
He's in one of the missions.

I wonder if DQM will get a bigger push than normal.

There's a really proven audience for this stuff beyond one series now and DQM's sales were large to begin with.

It'll be also interesting to see when SQEX is planning to release the game.

The first DQM Joker was one of the most surprising cases in MC threads - after a stellar 600k+ debut, it went sold-out nationwide, and declined to 250k, then 47k and 11k and back again to close 100k units during its fifth week in the market, in the mid of January.

133+-+Dragon+Quest+Monsters%3A+Joker+-+DS

test_account

XP-39C²
I was also under the impression that Gaist Crusher was going after a popular genre or a specific audience. I wasnt thinking specifically about hunting games to be honest, i just mentioned it because examples like Mario and Rayman was also metioned. If Gaist Crusher is in a genre that has no special success stories on the 3DS, i guess its not a good example, but seeing how Capcom tried to make it into a big franchise, i'm under the impression that its not a brand new genre.

Capcom compared the game to Mega Man and Monster Hunter - the latter because of multi-player capabilities, and not for the actual gameplay.
Ok, i see.

Bruno MB

It'll be also interesting to see when SQEX is planning to release the game.

The first DQM Joker was one of the most surprising cases in MC threads - after a stellar 600k+ debut, it went sold-out nationwide, and declined to 250k, then 47k and 11k and back again to close 100k units during its fifth week in the market, in the mid of January.

133+-+Dragon+Quest+Monsters%3A+Joker+-+DS

[Week 52, 2006] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) (2006.12.28) - 633.084 / NEW <69,5%> [277.400 units in stock]
[Week 01, 2007] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) (2006.12.28) - 247.558 / 880.642 <93,8%> [58.700 - 93.200 units in stock]
[Week 02, 2007] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) (2006.12.28) - 47.689 / 928.331 <98,4%> [14.900 units in stock]
[Week 03, 2007] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) (2006.12.28) - Out of top 30
[Week 04, 2007] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) (2006.12.28) - 96.496 / 1.036.076 <95,7%> [46.800 units in stock]
[Week 05, 2007] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) (2006.12.28) - 58.116 / 1.094.192 <98,7%> [14.600 units in stock]
[Week 06, 2007] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) (2006.12.28) - Out of top 30

Shortages lasted until mid February.

I always get very sad when I read the state of the Videogame industry in Japan, seeing as it has an unbelievable amount of influence in the state of the industry world-wide

Capcom compared the game to Mega Man and Monster Hunter - the latter because of multi-player capabilities, and not for the actual gameplay.

I googled that quote and this was what came up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-up-with-capcom-for-3ds-outing-gaist-crusher

"It appears to be a blend of those two franchises where you fight giant metal creatures called "gaists," then harvest their parts to alter your Blue Bomber-esque armour."

That sounds like Mega Man aesthetic plus Monster Hunter gameplay.

But I haven't played Gaist Crusher, so I can't really comment more than that.

L~A

Media Create:

New3DS LL 21,069
PS4 15,779
Vita 13,632
Wii U 10,780
New3DS 5,551
PS3 2,979
3DS 1,184
3DS LL 899
Vita TV 613
Xbox One 149