• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

KtSlime

Why they ignored Wii U then? Look how successful that console was! 3 "million sellers" - more than on PS4/Vita combined :)

I was not being facetious, they make this decision with the thoughts of "we want to sell a million in America".

I agree it is not the most useful metric when looking at a company's platform decision, however publishers/developers will learn soon enough that if they outsource all their game sales they will have to outsource their game development in the future as well since no one (in Japan) will remember what those kinds of games are like.

Orgen

Did you see forecast for NA and EU this FY? More likely is you'll see a crazy Capcom.

Let's not forget they think MH is held back from handhelds.

Hahaha I know that Capcom is being crazy lately with its predictions (Resident Evil VII, Street Fighter V, Monster Hunter Stories, Dead Rising 4...) but maybe this time they learned about them and have become more conservative for its next projects.

Maybe... haha.

I was not being facetious, they make this decision with the thoughts of "we want to sell a million in America".

I agree it is not the most useful metric when looking at a company's platform decision, however publishers/developers will learn soon enough that if they outsource all their game sales they will have to outsource their game development in the future as well since no one (in Japan) will remember what those kinds of games are like.

What? If it the point isn't clear. Overseas markets are far more lucrative to Japanese publishers. Instead of looking at million sellers, one should be looking at the sales if a specific franchise on consequent platforms.

Switch is 5 months old and has as many half million sellers as PS4 (yes, I know they are all Nintendo games)

Something is wrong with PS4's ability to large titles.
Wii u has more million sellers in japan than ps4 probably ever will in its lifetime.
This really means nothing. Its just how things work on nintendo consoles, fewer games and more concentrated sales.

Switch is 5 months old and has as many half million sellers as PS4 (yes, I know they are all Nintendo games)

Something is wrong with PS4's ability to large titles.

The problem is those franchise all declined and new ones havent yet taken there place. We all know Nintendo is the most popular publisher in Japan by quite a margin. That's not new. It's just that stuff like FF and Yakuza are in decline. Newer franchises like Nier and the explosion of Persona are fillin in some of the gaps though.

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 averages around 28,000 a week (LTD ÷ Weeks of availability)
If Ethomaz thinks the PS4 is doing great in Japan, what does this mean for the Switch? It was consistently selling around 25k per week prior to Splatoon 2's launch.
For some unknown reasons I missed this post yesterday lol

Averages 28k per week means 1.5 million units sold in a year and yes it is great for a console to sell over 1.5m units per year in Japan... except for Wii in a little time frame (2006, 2007 and 2008) we don't see any other console doing over 2m in the last two generations.
Let's see how PS4 is doing year over year:

2014: 970.667 (45 weeks), 21.5k per week
2015: 1.330.410 (53 weeks), 25.1k per week
2016: 1.799.586 (52 weeks), 34.2k per week
2017: 901.699 (29 weeks), 31.1k per week

Ohhhh and correcting you a bit... this year PS4 avg. is 31.1k per week without holidays... it is tracking ahead 2016 (up YoY) that reached 34.2k per week. PS4 has the chance to reach over 35k avg. per week this year that means over 1.8 million.

Yes... it is really great because it is close to a decade that consoles didn't sell at that rate in Japan anymore... Wii did that last time in 2008 with 2.862.818 units.

Any console doing near 2 million units in a year in Japan is doing GREAT. If Switch was only a console then it was indeed better than great but it is a portable or hybrid that shares two different markets where portables are stronger in sales than consoles.

Switch could end doing great this year? Of course I'm confident it numbers will be amazing for this year (2.5m+? Switch is avg. 41.2k per week this year) even with Nintendo fucking with supply.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
sinobi

Splatoon 2 boxed + download cards + direct downloads ~ 700k.

Probably based on Media Create numbers. In that case

[NSW] Splatoon 2 | Retail <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 648.085
[NSW] Splatoon 2 | Digital* <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - ~ 51,915

*download cards + digital downloads

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Probably based on Media Create numbers. In that case

[NSW] Splatoon 2 | Retail <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 648.085
[NSW] Splatoon 2 | Digital* <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - ~ 51,915

*download cards + digital downloads

Yeah that makes more sense

Fdkn

It's ok to look at million sellers and half-million sellers as a measure of the expected ceiling for games in a platform, but total software sales is a better metric to determine how healthy a platform is.

WiiU had some very big games, and a wasteland under them. PS4 may not have evergreens like Splatoon, 2D/3D Mario or Mario Kart but the amount of titles succeeding on various degrees on the platform is way bigger, and that makes the variety of the catalogue an incentive for new buyers.

Also there's the fact that games are sold outside Japan too, as much as MC threads try to ignore it when analyzing decision making.

ethomaz

Banned
Any console doing near 2 million units in a year in Japan is doing mediocre to average.
Where did you live since 2008? If I'm not wrong that was the last time a console did over 2 million in Japan.

PS. I'm still waiting the quotes about people expecting PS4 to be the next PS2 in Japan ;)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's ok to look at million sellers and half-million sellers as a measure of the expected ceiling for games in a platform, but total software sales is a better metric to determine how healthy a platform is.

WiiU had some very big games, and a wasteland under them. PS4 may not have evergreens like Splatoon, 2D/3D Mario or Mario Kart but the amount of titles succeeding on various degrees on the platform is way bigger, and that makes the variety of the catalogue an incentive for new buyers.

Also there's the fact that games are sold outside Japan too, as much as MC threads try to ignore it when analyzing decision making.

I dont think anyone is arguing against that.
But for the Top mainstream seller thats a relevant number - DQXI will show us what the PS4 market is capable right now for example. On Nintendo handhelds there pretty much was always the guarantee that the big seller as in Pokemon can sell around 4m. - so if you had a big IP ala Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter you could be targeting these type of numbers because there is proof that the eco system can provide these numbers.

WiiU had Nintendo first party support - thats it. 3rdPartys were on mobile, 3DS, PS4 and the Sony homeconsoles. Talking just about Japan potential WiiU games would sell worse than handheld games and the Sony console were stronger on a global level. After the lackluster launch there pretty much was no reason to support the WiiU between mobile/handheld and PS4/XBO.

Within a year in Japan the only dedicated hardware that will be viable will be Switch and PS4. I have an expectation that the PS4 needs to pull better sales for larger titles (and I think it will).

3.3m units (which is what the WiiU had) has shown to be enough to support million+ sellers and half million sellers. The PS4 should be able to out do the WiiU here considering it will have all the major development suppirt going forward.

hiska-kun

The usual site that shares Switch's shipment info doesn't show any restock for this week (there are new shipments planned from July 31th).
Even Bic Camera hasn't shared any lottery notice for this week. If they don't announce it tomorrow, there won't be any this week, meaning no restock this week.

Just watch Switch hardware collapse next week.

Zedark

The usual site that shares Switch's shipment info doesn't show any restock for this week (there are new shipments planned from July 31th).
Even Bic Camera hasn't shared any lottery notice for this week. If they don't announce it tomorrow, there won't be any this week, meaning no restock this week.

Was wondering about that already, since there usually is some mention about it at this point in the week. Let's hope they aren't doing sub 10k or whatever next week lol

schuelma

Where did you live since 2008? If I'm not wrong that was the last time a console did over 2 million in Japan.

I mean, you can argue what you're arguing and say its unavoidable, or you could say that consoles since Wii took its downturn just haven't been very good at the Japanese market. Wii U was DOA everywhere, and PS4 was clearly an afterthought in Japan at launch and soon after.

ethomaz

Banned

That means it will end around 170-190k for the month??? That is the avg. shipment of the last quarter in Japan.

schuelma

I guess we can forget the Switch having an increased baseline for now. I just hope it isn't under 20k next week.

You would think the hysteria from earlier this week re: Switch hardware would teach us to be a bit more hesitant freaking out about early stock reports.

In Japan where for the last 2 generations handhelds actually got some of the biggest franchises over consoles why would you separate the markets? All the hardware is competing against each other for development support and consumer dollars directly. If all the big 3DS games were PS4 games do we think the PS4 would have the same sales?

Even in the US the console handheld line was becoming pointless. It'a all marjeting dollars, it's all games and the systems are all actively taking a slice away from each other.

You would think the hysteria from earlier this week re: Switch hardware would teach us to be a bit more hesitant freaking out about early stock reports.

I'm not really hysterical lol. I just don't expect there to be a new 40-50k+ baseline. I feel like that's pretty reasonable.

Datschge

Let't add iPhones too because it is the same market by your logic lol
It's hard to believe you are actually a regular in these threads and not some troll. Aren't you embarrassed?

Here, gaming market in Japan (source):
UXtbSkF.jpg

"online games" are all games on non-dedicated gaming devices. Without handhelds that dedicated gaming device market would have crashed even more brutally.

The two recent years missing in the graph were down even further.

We are on a graveyard with zombies thinking there are still events to party about.

It really does. That's what happens when you talk for Japan and think it's a another western market.

You're saying Japanese developers creating games in consideration - if not in the interest - of Western taste is contributing significantly to the contraction of the dedicated gaming market there?

Fdkn

In Japan for the last 2 generations mobile has gotten all the big IPs and is making way more money than handhelds and consoles combined, so I guess we should all start replying to Nirolak instead of wasting our time arguing about a drop in the ocean selling 100 or 150k. /s

Every person discuss about what he cares about for arbitrary reasons. You can't say the arbitrary line to ignore mobile vs handhelds is ok, but the arbitrary line to separate handhelds from consoles is stupid.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
You're saying Japanese developers creating games in consideration - if not in the interest - of Western taste is contributing significantly to the contraction of the dedicated gaming market there?

I'm talking for Japanese gaming culture but that's also a statement I don't see anything wrong.

ethomaz

Banned
It's hard to believe you are actually a regular in these threads and not some troll. Aren't you embarrassed?

Here, gaming market in Japan (source):
UXtbSkF.jpg

"online games" are all games on non-dedicated gaming devices. Without handhelds that dedicated gaming device market would have crashed even more brutally.

The two recent years missing in the graph were down even further.

We are on a graveyard with zombies thinking there are still events to party about.
I'm not embarrassed and your links didn't change or fight anything I said but the salty from some guys in this thread is really funny.

The console market changed in Japan but these comments looks be from somebody looking at console sales from near two decades ago when it was common to have 4 million units sold per year. Any console that sells around 2 million in the actual market is indeed doing great... cross 10m lifetime? It is really an great milestone for any console today in Japan.

But let's spread the doom and gloom of the average to mediocre sales of consoles games in Japan... it is fun to watch.

Zedark

Amazon Japan just introduced two Switch Splatoon 2 bundle skus into the top 10, at 3rd and 8th rank (sold out obviously). Seems like a small restock just happened.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The console market changed in Japan but these comments looks be from somebody looking at console sales from near two decades ago when it was common to have 4 million units sold per year. Any console that sells around 2 million in the actual market is indeed doing great... cross 10m lifetime? It is really an great milestone for any console today in Japan.

Are you sure you are a regular?

ethomaz

Banned
Are you sure you are a regular?
Yes.

Then you spread misinformation.
No.

4m two decades ago.
Near two decades ago... last time a console did over 4m in Japan was in 2006 and that was a single case/year... last time consoles sold regularly (more than one year in a row) over 4m was near two decades ago... in PS2 time because Wii did only one time... and I used a random example to show consoles didn't sell like you guys thinks it needs to sell for a long long time.

Top Bottom