• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

Smash Bros Deluxe may be a good guess I think (if that's actually a thing I mean), that would also reinforce the online lineup considering that 2018 is the year subscription services start.

Good point! I could see that launching day and date with the online subscription.

Aters

I don't think the Switch version of DQXI will sell that well. It's coming out late and everyone has played the game. Will it sell a million? Nah I think it will do around 500k as most

Not really? We already see the trend of 3DS users moving on, and PS4 has a small install base. I'd wager plenty of people are holding off for a version of DQXI that's not on an outdated 240P system but also doesn't need a big TV to play.

Turrican3

Good point! I could see that launching day and date with the online subscription.
Yep, that would definitely NOT surprise me.

Generally speaking though, as others have already said, I believe Nintendo has made an amazing job about the Switch lineup in terms of timing and quality, either with its own games or third party ones (yeah I know there are still too few of the latter but hopefully things are going to improve sooner rather than later), so I really hope they can keep the momentum going and, needless to say, significantly improve the stock issues.

KtSlime

New episode of Neko Mario Time covering Dragon Quest 11, Arms, Splatoon 2, and Graceful Explosion Machine.

Finally Nintendo has an 'advertisement' DQ11 (not that there are many people who didn't know it was coming out by now).

If DQXI came out on Switch the same day I doubt you would see very different numbers from these. Sales would be up a bit but they would be splitted among the 3 consoles.

This is how I felt about MHXX but a lot of people were pushing for that to be on Switch day&date when there were barely any Switches.

Being realistic, I think PS4 digital can do 90k, given that apparently a lot stores are out of stock. 3DS version I'd give it a 50k, I think that's conservative enough. In total that's 2.22M.
DQIX was at 2.34, DQVIII was 2.23, both were released at the peak of the hardware. Not bad all things considered, not bad at all.

Indeed, considering how market has changed in 10 years.
So in 10 days 3 games moved almost 3mln units, there is still hope for home and handhelds future

KtSlime

MHXX being on Switch day&date with 3DS was the only way to go, it's not exactly the same situation with DQXI.

I think so too. There are a lot of things Capcom gets wrong, and this is one of them as well. Switch didn't need MHXX to be that early, but it would have helped Capcom as they could have sold more at a higher price, and it would have been before the World announcement so they could have sold more copies, and they could have launched it in the US with timing that would not have interfered with whenever World comes out. They lost more sales being late than gained double dippers.

Not really? We already see the trend of 3DS users moving on, and PS4 has a small install base. I'd wager plenty of people are holding off for a version of DQXI that's not on an outdated 240P system but also doesn't need a big TV to play.
The people playing portable are having their fill with the "outdated 240p system" which is why something as significant as 120k+ were sold on release week. If the total FW sales were significantly lower than previous DQs then maybe your theory will have much more credence but I'm not seeing it with the available data. It looks like all the bases are being covered essentially.

What I believe the the Switch release will be significant for would be the double dippers.

I didn't know about the World announcement back then :(
I don't think it would have bumped up the numbers by more than 100k or something, they'd lose a lot of 3ds sales.

I think so too. There are a lot of things Capcom gets wrong, and this is one of them as well. Switch didn't need MHXX to be that early, but it would have helped Capcom as they could have sold more at a higher price, and it would have been before the World announcement so they could have sold more copies, and they could have launched it in the US with timing that would not have interfered with whenever World comes out. They lost more sales being late than gained double dippers.
Capcom was asleep behind the wheel. They should've scheduled ports of MHXX, Disney Afternoon Collection, Megaman Collection, Dragons Dogma, and Revelations 1+2 from the start. They saw the success of Switch and now seem to be trying to play catch up with MHXX and Revelations coming a few months after release. As well as them saying they are working on Switch versions for their upcoming games.

Aters

The people playing portable are having their fill with the "outdated 240p system" which is why something as significant as 120k+ were sold on release week. If the total FW sales were significantly lower than previous DQs then maybe your theory will have much more credence but I'm not seeing it with the available data. It looks like all the bases are being covered essentially.

What I believe the the Switch release will be significant for would be the double dippers.

Don't you think that's a huge drop from DQIX? Sure some of them picked it up on PS4, but do all the PS4 sales come from it? I don't think so. There got to be people who moved on from 3DS yet don't own a PS4. No 3DS game performed particularly well ever since Switch launched. Super Sun/Moon looks like it's gonna continue that trend.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Unless we live in the universe home console market is different from the portable one a big drop for 3DS version was given but it turned out to be bigger than expected.

No one can know how many of these lost 3DS sales were in favor of Switch.

MoonFrog

What're people's lifetime guesses with this FW?

Number's from my ass/bullish dreams: 1.4-1.6 PS4, 1.6-2.0 3DS. Do those sound attainable to people with more experience watching these numbers grow?

Don't you think that's a huge drop from DQIX? Sure some of them picked it up on PS4, but do all the PS4 sales come from it? I don't think so. There got to be people who moved on from 3DS yet don't own a PS4. No 3DS game performed particularly well ever since Switch launched. Super Sun/Moon looks like it's gonna continue that trend.
Not that Hey Pikmin! is a major success by any means but it seems to be having some legs and will likely end up doing better than most were expecting.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It's not that there has been any other big 3DS release since Switch launch. Low-mid tier sellers wouldn't light the charts.

Aters

It's not that there has been any other big 3DS release since Switch launch. Low-mid tier sellers did almost what was expected.

I mean just look at predictions four months ago, people were saying DQXI could sweep 1.5M FW easily. People didn't expect Switch to blow up so quick. Switch hasn't built a sizeable install base due to supply constrain, but it sure has grabbed all the attention. 3DS simply doesn't have the "buzz" anymore. Think about all the negative response to Super Sun/Moon. Do people really don't want an enhanced edition? Not really. They just got tired of their 3DS. I think there are definitely prople that hold off for Switch version.

Anoxida

What're people's lifetime guesses with this FW?

Number's from my ass/bullish dreams: 1.4-1.6 PS4, 1.6-2.0 3DS. Do those sound attainable to people with more experience watching these numbers grow?

I think thats conservative. Im guessing 3.8 om both plattforms combined. Typically around 50% of ltd sales are from OW on dq games right?

Edit: ps4 according to reports undershipped too

I don't think the Switch version of DQXI will sell that well. It's coming out late and everyone has played the game. Will it sell a million? Nah I think it will do around 500k as most

Unless the game has substantial changes or additions even 500k seems high. Prediction will be impossible to make until we see it.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I mean just look at predictions four months ago, people were saying DQXI could sweep 1.5M FW easily. People didn't expect Switch to blow up so quick. Switch hasn't built a sizeable install base due to supply constrain, but it sure has grabbed all the attention. 3DS simply doesn't have the "buzz" anymore. Think about all the negative response to Super Sun/Moon. Do people really don't want an enhanced edition? Not really. They just got tired of their 3DS. I think there are definitely prople that hold off for Switch version.

If what some people say defines success or failure we had people just 1 day ago saying PS4 will outsell 3DS first week. The blog and sinobi changed their minds twice for DQ sales and have access to preorders.

As for all the negative response to Ultra Sun/Moon where does it come from? Gaming forums?

Yet 3DS sales haven't really dropped like a rock this year compared to last? The reason the buzz may not be there is because software releases have scaled back. But 127k were sold last week on the back of DQ.

Also where are these reports that the PS4 version of DQXI was undershipped?

Sandfox

If what some people say defines success or failure we had people just 1 day ago saying PS4 will outsell 3DS first week. The blog and sinobi changed their minds twice for DQ sales and have access to preorders.

As for all the negative response to Ultra Sun/Moon where does it come from? Gaming forums?
Basically people started buying into the Pokemon Switch rumors hard and were disappointed when USUM were revealed(which is probably why they had to reassure fans that they are working on a Switch game in the E3 video). TPC also hasn't talked about the game since it was announced and some are starting to get frustrated over the lack of news. At least that's what I've seen.

Two million, baby!

Famitsu reported that Dragon Quest XI has sold 2.080.806 units in the first two days!

3DS - 1.130.468
PS4 - 950.338

Source link

We still have to wait for Media Create numbers.

tenor.gif

New DQ numbers in my prediction league entry 6 hours before the deadline :D

PREDICTION LEAGUE AUGUST 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jul 31 to Aug 27):

[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 650k
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 575k
[PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (25 days) - 60k
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 130k
[NSW] Monster Hunter XX: Double Cross Nintendo Switch Ver. (3 days) - 80k

Zedark

PREDICTION LEAGUE AUGUST 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jul 31 to Aug 27):

[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 400k
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 360k
[PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (25 days) - 90k
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 60k
[NSW] Monster Hunter XX: Double Cross Nintendo Switch Ver. (3 days) - 150k

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Yes, but that is besides the point. I wonder how many of the Hagure Metal Slime New 2DS sold.

I saw the bundle being on amazon for a very long time and not with inflated prices. Nintendo must have printed a big amount of them, it could have reached 90-100k.

MoonFrog

I wonder if Switch stock is also going to be higher than pre-Splatoon, post-Splatoon. Could be a very good week wrt hardware.

Top Bottom