• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2012 (Jul 23 - Jul 29)

Eh. FFXI was Squeenix's most profitable title, and that didn't stop single player Final Fantasy.

Well, duh. Of course they wouldn't just start to pump out a new MMO every other year, but if a MMO DQ catches on I suspect all new DQ games would very much build on the game structure and the multiplayer elements of DQIX and that is just not what I want (despite liking DQIX quite a bit).

But what can they do?
Realistically only a price cut ( thus losses for Sony ) would make a difference and even then it isn't guarantee that would really reignite the business in the long period.

It really depends on what third-party support they have coming. It's not likely that anything announced at TGS will be big enough to break the system out of the poor third-party support/poor sales vicious cycle it's stuck in, but it's really the only chance Vita has left.

It really depends on what third-party support they have coming. It's not likely that anything announced at TGS will be big enough to break the system out of the poor third-party support/poor sales vicious cycle it's stuck in, but it's really the only chance Vita has left.

I must admit, now I don't see any reason to support Vita instead of 3DS.

Xater

Geez, I never really considered the possibility that DQX could actually turn into a serious success, but looking at those pics makes me wonder if it's not about to exceed all expectations.

Man, that would suck. lol No more classic Dragon Quest.

It would be pretty funny if not much more people show up.

Dystify

I think "classic" DQ is dead, expect DQXI (3DS?) to be focused on social multi-player.
I know DQ's not all about story but I wish they would give it just a little more. I was kind of disappointed with it in DQIX. I agree with you though, I also think it's gonna be "social" and it's gonna be on 3DS.

What? They released Macross DYRL in HD? I'm about to ask a stupid question now. Is there any chance this comes out in the US? Hell, can I import just the movie anywhere and will it have English subtitles?

Mr Swine

Banned
Less competition? It's also easier to realize multi platform development on Vita and HD consoles. But yes it won't get easier for Sony.

Problem is that when the next gen consoles come out then there won't be that many third party titles that is coming out on the PS3 or Xbox360. Specially now when devs are kicking into high gear to make new next gen games. Vita is in a troubled spot where it's multiplatform games with the Other consoles is soon going to dry up

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think "classic" DQ is dead, expect DQXI (3DS?) to be focused on social multi-player.

Yes. DQIX was an astounding success with its shift towards sociality ( local co-op, downloadable quests), and DQX is basically DQIX on strong steroids. DQXI, which at this point must be for 3DS, will be something in between DQIX and X: local and online co-op, many more downloadable quests, alongside the standard single player story.

tuffy

What? They released Macross DYRL in HD? I'm about to ask a stupid question now. Is there any chance this comes out in the US? Hell, can I import just the movie anywhere and will it have English subtitles?
Yes, it's released in HD but there's no chance it comes out in the US. You can import it to the US, but you'll need to supply your own subtitles.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yes. DQIX was an astounding success with its shift towards sociality ( local co-op, downloadable quests), and DQX is basically DQIX on strong steroids. DQXI, which at this point must be for 3DS, will be something in between DQIX and X: local and online co-op, many more downloadable quests, alongside the standard single player story.

I bet it won't have online multiplayer just so it doesn't clash with DQX.

Less competition? It's also easier to realize multi platform development on Vita and HD consoles. But yes it won't get easier for Sony.

Multi-platform titles will be developed with PS3 in mind, not Vita. I mean, what could a third party to develop exclusively on Vita? If also otaku games start to sell well on 3DS, Vita is done (not that is healty now).

And I'm actually wondering when there will be the first "main" FF game released on 3DS ( I mean, not things like Theatrhythm).

...I hope it isn't that new project in FFXIII world...
Type-0 International is my guess. Maybe FFV/VI remakes, but they're a ways off and probably depend on how Bravely Default does.

I think the more interestesting question is if we'll see the FFXIII trilogy or FFXIV on Wii U?

Frillen

I'm aware. I just thought it was more dissapointing than I was expecting.. Never expecting anything crazy like previous DQ launches.

Yes.

Seems like Nintendo is firing on all sylinders in Japan this year. Holiday season will be brutal for the Vita if we don't see a price drop. Whatever big games that gets announced for it at TGS will probably not be out until 2013.

Seems like Nintendo is firing on all sylinders in Japan this year. Holiday season will be brutal for the Vita if we don't see a price drop. Whatever big games that gets announced for it at TGS will probably not be out until 2013.

That might not be true.
Monster Hunter 3G was announced in early September to be released 3 months later.

Gradivus

If Vita hasn't surpassed the million mark after the holidays, would it be fair to call time on it?

It will most likely hit 1m mark if it keeps doing around 10,000 a week for the rest of this year.

It really just depends on the outcome of TGS if its still in the game or not.

That might not be true.
Monster Hunter 3G was announced in early September to be released 3 months later.

Vita has nothing to gain from witholding surprise titles. Nintendo witheld that anouncement because they already had big holiday titles lined up. The lack of big titles is a major reason why adoption is slow. If Sony has major titles out this year they should've anounced them by now to instill consumer confidence in their product. Also, since when has Sony ever done surprise titles anounced a few months before they release? Nintendo has done it often enough before.

Vita has nothing to gain from witholding surprise titles. Nintendo witheld that anouncement because they already had big holiday titles lined up. The lack of big titles is a major reason why adoption is slow. If Sony has major titles out this year they should've anounced them by now to instill consumer confidence in their product. Also, since when has Sony ever done surprise titles anounced a few months before they release? Nintendo has done it often enough before.

I don't believe Sony would sit on big announcements at this point.

Great second launch for the 3DS(LL)
I have faith that the DD #'s for NSMB2 will be great.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

It is not uncommon in Japan to announce and release titles in 3-4 months. I'm sure there are some Vita announcements for the end of the year to come.

It is not uncommon in Japan to announce and release titles in 3-4 months. I'm sure there are some Vita announcements for the end of the year to come.

Yep. Some will be announced in Famitsu et al. over the weeks leading up to TGS, and a few might be saved for Sony's press conference.

Now, the West is different, and it's pretty safe to say that we already know what the year-end lineup will be.

I was thinking big anouncements, I don't think Sony is sitting on major titles. However, as pointed out it's a bit different in Japan and I'm thinking more from a western perspective. As others said there likely will be a few titles anounced just nothing major like MHtriG was to the 3DS.

Go_Ly_Dow

always nice to see atlus and falcom succeeding. more funding for that persona 5!

...and falcom use that extra moneyz to fund trails localizations :(

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I was thinking big anouncements, I don't think Sony is sitting on major titles. However, as pointed out it's a bit different in Japan and I'm thinking more from a western perspective. As others said there likely will be a few titles anounced just nothing major like MHtriG was to the 3DS.

Probably not but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Hell we still do not have any Wii U announcements for Japan.

Probably not but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Hell we still do not have any Wii U announcements for Japan.
True. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Although I didn't think Sony characteristically waited a few months before releasing major titles. However, then again most major titles being anounced on Sony platforms were 3rd party titles out of Sony's control when they anounced them.

Rand6

Nintendo witheld that anouncement because they already had big holiday titles lined up. The lack of big titles is a major reason why adoption is slow. If Sony has major titles out this year they should've anounced them by now to instill consumer confidence in their product. Also, since when has Sony ever done surprise titles anounced a few months before they release? Nintendo has done it often enough before.

No, nintendo back in the days, really needed that kind of announcement (but less than Vita needs it now). But MH3 was still selling well on PSP, and Capcom probably didn't want to kill it until the last minute. I'm not saying that a MH is coming on Vita btw...

Also, since when has Sony ever done surprise titles anounced a few months before they release?

More than you think. Just recently Miku was announced for releasing 3/4 month later.

Kenka

No, it won't. I'd say there's even a possibility for NSMB2 being first again next week.

Really ? I mean, it's not like Mario will do 250k next week, right ? If he does, there still is plenty of room for DQ to climb to the top.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Really ? I mean, it's not like Mario will do 250k next week, right ? If he does, there still is plenty of room for DQ to climb to the top.

Why not? NSMB2 had just two days, and the precedent titles in the brand had the ability to sell a lot during the days following the launch day. It could do even 350k next week.

DrWong

The DS one did 800K in 4 days. This one did 430K in 2 days, for this week... It's a possibility.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Considerint that the 430K for Mario counted just 2 days and not the usual 4 as the previous New Marios, and considering how much the previous New Mario sold in their second week, it could do 250K, imho.
and DQX is really a shot in the dark..

luca1980

Banned
DQXI, which at this point must be for 3DS, will be something in between DQIX and X: local and online co-op, many more downloadable quests, alongside the standard single player story.
I hope for them people will not forget about dq meanwhile

M3d10n

Problem is that when the next gen consoles come out then there won't be that many third party titles that is coming out on the PS3 or Xbox360. Specially now when devs are kicking into high gear to make new next gen games. Vita is in a troubled spot where it's multiplatform games with the Other consoles is soon going to dry up

This happened to the PSP but the result was the opposite: PS2-gen console developers which didn't want to move into PS360 development for a while started to migrate to the PSP, increasing support.

While the PS2 was active, many devs saw the PSP as redundant: since it wasn't quite as powerful as the PS2, porting high-profile games required additional development costs which were worsened by the (at the time) low userbase. Vita is very similar in that regard.

Indeed.
But it also true that all people are thinking "What is Sony waiting?!" if there do exist important titles to announce. Last year, Nintendo had Mario Kart, Mario platform, Inazuma Eleven and Love Plus (before being post-poned) for holiday season before the announcement of Monster Hunter, and Resident Evil, Kid Icarus and Kingdom Hearts to follow up in early 2013. Vita does not have anything comparable. Anything.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's not only Sonys decision to decide when to unveil titles, if for some reason publishers aren't comfortable with announcing their titles so far in advance they will have to respect that.

Iwata also new about Tri G and it would have been easy to unveil the project when 3DS sales went down, but they had to wait for the moment where the announcement would have the biggest impact.

Top Bottom