• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2012 (Jul 23 - Jul 29)

It's not only Sonys decision to decide when to unveil titles, if for some reason publishers aren't comfortable with announcing their titles so far in advance they will have to respect that.

Iwata also new about Tri G and it would have been easy to unveil the project when 3DS sales went down, but they had to wait for the moment where the announcement would have the biggest impact.

Monster Hunter 3G was announced in Famitsu, though.
Perhaps they waited until the Circle Pad Pro was ready, since it was unveiled in the same issue.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Monster Hunter 3G was announced in Famitsu, though.
Perhaps they waited until the Circle Pad Pro was ready, since it was unveiled in the same issue.
It doesn't matter where it was announced, since it had to be greenlighted in advance. Nintendo and Capcom clearly had a long term strategy in place concerning the unveiling and marketing of the title.

I would be shocked if Sony can't at least announce a handful of potential +150–200k sellers for this holiday season.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, people shouldn't forget MMOs are supposed to last several years and unless SE plans DQXI to be released in 2017, it won't be a MMO.

I didn't say DQXI will be an MMO too. Just that it'd have online play, not like an MMO though.

NateDrake

It doesn't matter where it was announced, since it had to be greenlighted in advance. Nintendo and Capcom clearly had a long term strategy in place concerning the unveiling and marketing of the title.

I would be shocked if Sony can't at least announce a handful of potential +150–200k sellers for this holiday season.

All game announcements are part of the company marketing plan. If Sony has nothing at TGS, Gamescom, and Vita Heaven Part 2 is a dud, then it'll be due to the fact they have nothing to announce.

Surely one of these will have a major Vita game announcement.

Lyude77

Wii U also isn't moving ~10k weekly at the moment.

I know, it's selling 0 per week! Nintendo needs to start announcing their games! :p

Random, jumbled thoughts: Good news for Persona, and I hope 5 comes out soon. NSMB2 did about as expected. I'm guessing it'll be #1 this week too over Dragon Quest X. Good news for the LL too. I guess Onitore will just have steady sales, though that was probably expected.

I hope Nintendo announces DD information soon.

That slime costume was interesting. I had to stare at the pictures to figure it out.

Which is plausible enough, but Vita needs a lot more than that to start selling at a healthier level on a weekly basis.

It doesn't just need a handful of potential 100K+ sellers announced; it needs multiple handfuls of those, plus a decent handful of potential 300-400K sellers, plus multiple potential 500K+ sellers. Based on how established IPs sold on PSP, the last category could really only come from Square Enix at this point; all indications are that MH is staying on 3DS, God Eater 2 is still coming to PSP, PSO2 Vita seems to rule out a new PS Portable anytime soon, and KojiPro seems to have abandoned ground-up handheld development.

All game announcements are part of the company marketing plan. If Sony has nothing at TGS, Gamescom, and Vita Heaven Part 2 is a dud, then it'll be due to the fact they have nothing to announce.

Surely one of these will have a major Vita game announcement.

Sure, but at this point, any title with realistic potential to sell much over 100K qualifies as "major" relative to the rest of the system's future lineup.

muu

Multi-platform titles will be developed with PS3 in mind, not Vita. I mean, what could a third party to develop exclusively on Vita? If also otaku games start to sell well on 3DS, Vita is done (not that is healty now).

If you're talking about the anime tie-in games, those will stay on the PSP for as long as it can -- likely to the end of 2013, perhaps longer. Aside from the obvious 'cheaper to build' argument (since similar things have been made on the PSP for so long), Aniplex is a subsidiary of Sony Pictures so there'd certainly be motivation to stay on that platform for as long as possible. If you're talking about niche titles, Marvelous/Atlus has already proven the 3DS market is viable w/ series titles exceeding previous entries.

This happened to the PSP but the result was the opposite: PS2-gen console developers which didn't want to move into PS360 development for a while started to migrate to the PSP, increasing support.

While the PS2 was active, many devs saw the PSP as redundant: since it wasn't quite as powerful as the PS2, porting high-profile games required additional development costs which were worsened by the (at the time) low userbase. Vita is very similar in that regard.

Two issues that need to be resolved for this to happen on Vita:

1) Monster Hunter / similar 'killer app.' PSP became a viable platform because people were buying it just to play MH. Such a game is yet to present itself, and Vita's previous saviour (P4G) has run out of steam.

2) smaller devs and HD development. The smaller developers escaped mounting HD development costs by going to the PSP, and likely never attained the necessary knowledge for making HD games. In many ways, the smaller jump from PSP to 3DS makes more sense for these devs. What would justify them going to Vita instead?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
How is pokemon b/w2 doing in comparison to platinum and hg/ss? I think its performing above those but I've got no real clue.

Famitsu

[NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800) - 73.420 / 2.455.006 (-20%)
[NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 63.104 / 1.745.815
[NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 151.242 / 2.671.528

How is pokemon b/w2 doing in comparison to platinum and hg/ss? I think its performing above those but I've got no real clue.

6th week:

Pokémon Platinum: 63,104 / 1,745,815
Pokémon HeartGold / SoulSilver: 151,242 / 2,671,528
Pokémon Black 2 / White 2: 73.420 / 2.455.006

Edit: beaten, argh! Damn you Mpl!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
they might as well show the Wii U version it would not hurt them much

seriously though they should have never said they had a Wii U version until weeks before the Wii U version coming out smh

Do I remember correclty about the Wii U version announced for 2012?

Aeana

I have not seen this reported anywhere at all

still looking forward to first day sales

edit: 5:40 AM in Japan right now where is the JP DQX OT?

I pulled out of making it since there's little point. Nobody but people who are actually in Japan can play it, and of those who are in Japan here on GAF, few have actually expressed interest. But if they want to make a thread for it, they can.

yankee666

I pulled out of making it since there's little point. Nobody but people who are actually in Japan can play it, and of those who are in Japan here on GAF, few have actually expressed interest. But if they want to make a thread for it, they can.

So is confirmed that is Ip region locked? Damn i really wanted to play this game :(

How much did Pokemon Black/White 2 sell in two days? Wasn't it over a million?

With that in mind, is NSMB2 sales good? I know it'll go over a million but I was expecting more sales.

Gradivus

With that in mind, is NSMB2 sales good? I know it'll go over a million but I was expecting more sales.

Pokemon games tend to fly off the shelves earlier than Mario games when it comes to the first couple of weeks sales wise. Pokemon can also run on both DS and 3DS, so it has the huge userbase advantage.

2D Mario has hella legs, whereas Pokemon explodes out of the gate. The series aren't really comparable beyond selling loads; their styles of selling are very different.

Yottamole

Banned
More photos of DQX's release:
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201208/02019067.html

cad9f770b036ae396a664bf5858e4e5ccb1202c3.jpg

a008ca2eabf8f7b223a7fd6bd40bc6c562176ef1.jpg

Daknight

Nice sales for Persona 4: Arena, though I am burn out of fighting games at the moment, might pick it up once it comes out here.

I am surprise there isn't that much hype for DQ X compare to past titles. I know the reason is cause is an MMO right now (can't get around to the fact of DQ becoming an MMO O_O). Still, considering it'll have a monthly plan, how much do you think SE needs to sell of it to consider it a success?

lord

woah, Nintendo completely owns japan. Wii U will be the dominant home console there for sure, that's certain.That does not mean much these days, but still.

woah, Nintendo completely owns japan. Wii U will be the dominant home console there for sure, that's certain.That does not mean much these days, but still.

It's not a sure thing at all. We still don't know how Wii U will do in Japan because besides Dragon Quest X there are no other big titles announced for it yet.

Nekki

So numbers for mario are in line with NSMB, and i'm expecting around 50-70k eshop downloads. Brain Training opened around the same as oni training, and went on to sell 3M, of course that was before the explosion, so i doubt it'll be replicated.

Persona Arena, another success story it seems!! How good is the game??

RF4 having a great second week, now i just want the top 50 to see how EOIV is faring...

Curious to see how DQX fares... man this whole post reads like a telegraph lol

Haven't done this in a while as I try to take advantage of what little bit of summer I get up here and don't spend much time on the computer. Seemed like a good week to check up on things.

PSP(2011 YTD)= 1,247,714
PSP+PSV(2012)=906,448(-27.4%)

Looking ahead to Week 31, PSP did 35,619 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=1,841,419
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=2,561,051(+39.1%)

Looking ahead to week 31, 3DS+DS did 12,310 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=3,089,133
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=3,467,499

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's been getting zombie titles all year. There ain't anything left in the PSP's tank at this point besides a ton of licensed stuff.

Top Bottom