• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interested to see what kind of performance the Switch version will have compared to PSV/PS4.

Is Xenoblade 2 this year as well in Japan? Bamco should be unveiling soon whatever type of Tales of game they are bringing to Switch this FY as well.
I think they run off the same tech stack as Dynasty Warriors these days, so presumably it should be fine.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
i made a thread about this not being a good idea and got pooped on.
But Hey Pikmin is doing better than I thought. Slightly.
Then again Mario Sports Superstar did what I expected, or even worse.

I'm sure neither Nintendo expected big things from these b-tier titles. If they were aiming Switch most of them wouldn't see the light of day.

[3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World # <ACT> (Good-Feel / Nintendo) {2017.01.19} (¥4.700)
[3DS] Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (&#949;) _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Hal Labs / Nintendo) {2017.02.02} (¥630)
[3DS] BoxBoy! Hakobume Box <BoxBoy! \ BoxBoxBoy! \ Bye-Bye BoxBoy!> <PZL> (Hal Labs / Nintendo) {2017.02.02} (¥3.200)
[3DS] Mario Sports Superstars <SPT> (Camelot Software Planning / Nintendo) {2017.03.30} (¥4.980)
[3DS] Team Kirby Clash Deluxe _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (Hal Labs / Nintendo) {2017.04.13} (¥0)
[3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia # <SLG> (Intelligent Systems / Nintendo) {2017.04.20} (¥4.980)
[3DS] Kirby's Blowout Blast _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Hal Labs / Nintendo) {2017.07.06} (¥750)
[3DS] Hey! Pikmin <ACT> (Arzest / Nintendo) {2017.07.13} (¥4.980)
[3DS] Ever Oasis <ADV> (Grezzo / Nintendo) {2017.07.13} (¥4.980)
[3DS] Metroid: Samus Returns <ACT> (Mercury Steam / Nintendo) {2017.09.15} (¥4.980)
[3DS] Fire Emblem Warriors |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| # <ACT> (Omega Force / Nintendo) {2017.09.28} (¥6.800)
[3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon <RPG> (Game Freak / Pokemon Co.) {2017.11.17} (¥TBD)
[3DS] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions <ACT> (Alphadream Corporation / Nintendo) {2017 Q4} (¥TBD)
[3DS] Kirby <ACT> (Hal Labs / Nintendo) {2017 Q4} (¥TBD)

[3DS] Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Indies Zero / Nintendo) {2018} (¥TBD)

duckroll

https://twitter.com/japanese3ds/status/894838225096900608

Sounds like either they're having some troubles porting over the UE4 version, or they started too late.

I really don't think there's anything weird about it. They have said numerous times that the Switch version is coming later and that they needed to focus development on the originally announced versions first to ship them. In addition, porting it to the Switch would require optimization for both portable and docked modes. It's a big game, there are a lot of things to consider, but UE4 is a flexible engine that's well support on all platforms.

The only problem with the Switch version is that Nintendo fans can't seem to resist having tunnel vision and always expected it to suddenly appear as a big surprise to draw attention away from the PS4. That was never going to happen and so it's just disappointment after disappointment. User fault.

Wow it sounds like the Switch version is coming later and some people should relax and wait. No need to be impatient. It'll come when they're ready.

I really don't think there's anything weird about it. They have said numerous times that the Switch version is coming later and that they needed to focus development on the originally announced versions first to ship them. In addition, porting it to the Switch would require optimization for both portable and docked modes. It's a big game, there are a lot of things to consider, but UE4 is a flexible engine that's well support on all platforms.

The only problem with the Switch version is that Nintendo fans can't seem to resist having tunnel vision and always expected it to suddenly appear as a big surprise to draw attention away from the PS4. That was never going to happen and so it's just disappointment after disappointment. User fault.
Duckroll dishing out the truth bomb.

I think they might settle for 900p in docked and 720p in portable but with some hit on visuals. I doubt it can look as good as the PS4.

famitsu leak confirms that the new atelier is ps4/switch/vita

I knew there was no reason to worry about the Switch version of it. There's no reason to worry about Switch games in general. It'll just take a while for some games/developers to move across, just like every previous gen (look at Vita's first year for proof of that).

As a side note, apparently there's a rumor that Koei-Tecmo are still working on an unannounced Vita game (that isn't that Tokimeki spinoff that was announced recently):

http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/2583

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think they run off the same tech stack as Dynasty Warriors these days, so presumably it should be fine.

The tech DQH2 is based on ? I know that some of the past Vita Atelier versions had somekind of lackluster performance. But yeah considering how they look it should perform reasonably well in handheld mode and on the big screen.

Sounds like either they're having some troubles porting over the UE4 version, or they started too late.

Talk about jumping to conclusion :) He is just saying what we already knew - the Switch version isnt out yet because they cant simple drag and drop the PS4 version to Switch and call it a day. We dont even know how long and how many people have been working on the Switch version.

You would have a point if the game was announced to be out in July like the other versions at some point this year...but SE made it clear that the Switch version wont be out this year.

LordKano

I don't know if you're looking at me but I never implied it was weird or anything. It seems like a normal process for the development of a big game on a new console that it very different from tradition home consoles.

However the "originally announced versions" should also include Switch, since it was mentioned from the start. They obviously couldn't start development in summer 2015 though.

duckroll

I don't know if you're looking at me but I never implied it was weird or anything. It seems like a normal process for the development of a big game on a new console that it very different from tradition home consoles.

However the "originally announced versions" should also include Switch, since it was mentioned from the start. They obviously couldn't start development in summer 2015 though.

Relax, I'm talking about people like Mpl60 and cw_sasuke. :p

They are half the reason there is any sort of "panic" whenever there isn't a Switch announcement at a DQ event.

Mory Dunz

I'm sure neither Nintendo expected big things from these b-tier titles. If they were aiming Switch most of them wouldn't see the light of day.

D)
Shrug, I think ever oasis could've done better as a switch eshop only game. And since it's just digital, not much would be expected in terms of graphics. It looks better than lost sphear at least...

cw_sasuke

Relax, I'm talking about people like Mpl60 and cw_sasuke. :p

They are half the reason there is any sort of "panic" whenever there isn't a Switch announcement at a DQ event.

Yeah i dont think ive ever had this type of stance regarding on DQXI on Switch....unless you have receipts to back it up you might wanna stop painting that picture of me. Appreciated.

lherre

Accurate
Relax... but it is true that any "bit" (if we can consider this quote as something new) of info about Switch DQXI version is magnified here.

Well, almost with any Switch related game (and monhun of course)

The tech DQH2 is based on ? I know that some of the past Vita Atelier versions had somekind of lackluster performance. But yeah considering how they look it should perform reasonably well in handheld mode and on the big screen.

The Atelier games switched to the Dynasty Warriors engine with... Escha & Logy I think? Prior to that they were Phyreengine.

All of the Vita versions had lackluster performance really, but Firis was really bad. I'd expect the Switch version of Liddy & Soeur to be on par with Nights of Azure - which is another Gust game running on the same engine.

duckroll

Yeah i dont think ive ever had this type of stance regarding on DQXI on Switch....unless you have receipts to back it up you might wanna stop painting that picture of me. Appreciated.

Setting up unreasonable expectations before announcement:
I still think all 3 versions will be out at the same time. Unless they think alot of 3DS/portable buyera would be willing to upgrade and double-dip for the Switch version 6-12month later.

Readjusting inflated expectations after failure to show up:
I dont know - they havent talked or marketed the Switch version at all. Considering the later release date - i dont know if they would bother if it was just a port. NX getting a version was in the plans for a while - so i think it being more unique or having exclusive features might happen.

Switch installed base is rather small for a title like DQ right now, so they are in less of a hurry to release this version. After Splatoon 2 and this Holiday season they will be 5x as much Switch consoles out there.

Painting more silly scenarios which will lead to disappointment:
One obvious thing would be the Switch version featuring all 3 graphic styles - if thats the case it would make even more sense to drop it later because right now people will need to get both versions for to experience classic and more modern DQ gameplay.

Especially if they dont wanna bother with a western release of the 3DS version - Switch version featuring the oldscool setup as well would be rad. Switch version will have to be ready for the western release - but in Japan they can afford to launch it later because of 3DS/PS4.

Just saying man.

cw_sasuke

The Atelier games switched to the Dynasty Warriors engine with... Escha & Logy I think? Prior to that they were Phyreengine.

All of the Vita versions had lackluster performance really, but Firis was really bad. I'd expect the Switch version of Liddy & Soeur to be on par with Nights of Azure - which is another Gust game running on the same engine.

Thats good to know, from what ive heard Nights of Azure performs solid compared to the PS4 release only the resolution in handheld mode suffers a bit. I hope they get it right with Atelier...give them a pass for DQ Heroes 2 since this was launch game, the devs should be a bit more comfortable with the Switch hardware for upcoming releases. Something between PSV and PS4 is the least we can expect.

But yeah interesting to see how those PSV/Switch/PSV multi releases will perform ..lol.

Setting up unreasonable expectations before announcement:

Readjusting inflated expectations after failure to show up:

Painting more silly scenarios which will lead to disappointment:

Just saying man.

Ill be totally honest...my previous post wasnt even THAT serious. But the fact that you brought and looked up these posts to "prove" that im some lunatic Nintendo fanboy with ridiculous expectations when it comes to DQXI on Switch is really telling.

If you really have issues with the posts you just quoted you are better off putting me on a ignore list because even without knowing how old some of these posts i stand by everything what i posted back then and nothing seems like an unrealistic take.

I really dont understand you. Pretty much all the posts you brought up feature a a part about why the Switch version being released later would make sense. Feels like your are blocking out everything that doesnt fit your impression of a poster. I mean i get we all do that on some level. Ill just leave it at that, doesnt seem like i can change your perception anyway.

duckroll

Hey you asked for the receipts, not my fault if you don't like them. Didn't say anything about you being crazy, just that unrealistic expectations for every update is what causes a problem when people are disappointed by the it not showing up. That's a fact.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The DQXI Switch situation seems very weird to me. It was the first game announced for the platform and it makes no sense to announce it so early if they started development of the version relatively recently.

duckroll

The DQXI Switch situation seems very weird to me. It was the first game announced for the platform and it makes no sense to announce it so early if they started development of the version relatively recently.

They did the same thing for DQX Wiiu, but no one cares because no one pays attention to JP only MMOs.

Lightning

Banned
S-E do that a lot. Just take a look at the FFVII Remake for another example of this happening.

What interests me with the Switch version of DQXI is which version we get. If it's the ps4 version then I'll probably skip it since I'll have the ps4 version by that point but if it's the 3ds version I'll probably get it since i don't own a 3ds.

wrowa

To be fair, it was announced in a really weird way and they never really talked about it in concrete terms. We knew they had the intention of porting and that's about it: It was obvious that the Switch release really wasn't much of a priority early on.

S-E do that a lot. Just take a look at the FFVII Remake for another example of this happening.

What interests me with the Switch version of DQXI is which version we get. If it's the ps4 version then I'll probably skip it since I'll have the ps4 version by that point but if it's the 3ds version I'll probably get it since i don't own a 3ds.

I think we can rule out the 3DS version because honestly, are they really going to be having technical difficulties up-porting that? It's most likely going to be a PS4 version down port.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
My main question is, will it be ready to be released with the West localization? If not, is kinda DOA IMHO.

cw_sasuke

Its not really weird, all Horii said was that its coming to NX. Probably as a form of good will to Nintendo since the last main games were also on Nintendo systems. Considering they used the UE4 they probably knew or expected that whatever NX/Switch would be to support the engine as well.

Horii probably is too old to play favorites anymore and wanted to make sure early on that the game will be on all viable consoles - so be hyped about the games and dont get fed up on plattform discussions like we have them Monster Hunter for example.

Edit:
DQX for PS4/NX were also announced/teased on that date. Again it just feels like the main message from SE or at least Horii was...dont worry console players we got you, where ever you play on.

At the end the Switch version is based on another version so considering their Multiplattform talks when it comes to DQ and that the series in some way represents the tradition console market it doesnt seem weird.

The market was struggling quite a bit and even SE wasnt so sure how DQXI would perform in this landscape. Devs/publishers really need to adapt to the current market realities and push for multiplattform development whenever possible. The way SE managed it with DQXI on 3DS and PS4 is quite amazing, but i understand that not all publishers have the resources or a IP strong enough to justify this approach. At least with PS4/Switch/(PC) things will be easier than it was with the 3DS and HD consoles.

ethomaz

Banned
Meh :(

My hopes for trophies are killed.

No one said porting or optimizing a game for a different platform was just a button press. Nintendo isnt using some Magic compressions technology...their games just usually dont include the file baggage most current AAA games offer like pre-rendered videos, lots of VA etc.
You should read the replies I got when I says the games needs platforms specific code due optimizations.

Every single reply says it is not the case with modern Engines like UE4 lol

For most here it is only a recompile to a new platform.

From SE talk I always thought they will only port to Switch after PS4/3DS release.

And I still think they are working with 3DS version for west market because they arreada have the PS4 version on PS4.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Shrug, I think ever oasis could've done better as a switch eshop only game. And since it's just digital, not much would be expected in terms of graphics. It looks better than lost sphear at least...

From tech point I watched the trailers and I don't see how Ever Oasis looks better than Lost Sphear. Not that Lost Sphear will be some kind of sales hit that will make Ever Oasis worth the extra investment porting it to Switch.

I knew there was no reason to worry about the Switch version of it. There's no reason to worry about Switch games in general. It'll just take a while for some games/developers to move across, just like every previous gen (look at Vita's first year for proof of that).

As a side note, apparently there's a rumor that Koei-Tecmo are still working on an unannounced Vita game (that isn't that Tokimeki spinoff that was announced recently):

just to be clear, the reason I quoted your post earlier is because you're wondering if they'll drop vita or not for this year's atelier in that post, not whether switch version will exist or not :p

L~A

From tech point I watched the trailers and I don't see how Ever Oasis looks better than Lost Sphear. Not that Lost Sphear will be some kind of sales hit that will make Ever Oasis worth the extra investment porting it to Switch.

Yeah, been playing it for a while, and while it does oozes with charm, I really wouldn't say that Ever Oasis forte is graphics. Not sure I'd compare it with Lost Sphear, the two games aren't similar enough for that (not even the same perspective).

Besides, fairly certain Ever Oasis uses the same engine as OoT3D and MM3D, porting to Switch wouldn't really be straightforward.

Sandfox

Arc System Works announced a BlazBlue Alternative: Dark War for iOS and Android.

According to that same site YW Busters 2 is coming if I'm reading it correctly.

E-phonk

Banned
Besides, fairly certain Ever Oasis uses the same engine as OoT3D and MM3D, porting to Switch wouldn't really be straightforward.

Which might also give them an incentive because somewhere down the road they'll need to bring that engine to ARM/NvN anyways.

Tratorn

Switch is a lock for Yokai, but I kinda hope for a PS4 version as well to send another signal for a PS4/Switch future in japan. I want that combo to become as natural as PS4/Xb1/PC in the west. PS4 probably doesn't have a really big audience for that game/IP but a port of the Switch version should be pretty cheap to make.

Switch is a lock for Yokai, but I kinda hope for a PS4 version as well to send another signal for a PS4/Switch future in japan. I want that combo to become as natural as PS4/Xb1/PC in the west. PS4 probably doesn't have a really big audience for that game/IP but a port of the Switch version should be pretty cheap to make.
I think one of the problems is that currently neither PS4 or Switch have a kids base that is substantial so it may be a few years.

L~A

^

That too, which is why I'm not expecting an hypothetical YW4 before second half of 2018. Depends on what they do with YWB2 (how many versions? Major updates like YW3?)

Yo-kai Watch's future is on handheld/mobile, not PS4.

Time to stock up on crows now that I've said it, ha ha.

zelas

Amen to that.

Top Bottom