• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2013 (Aug 12 - Aug 18)

DaBoss

Code:
43/48	3DS	Super Mario 3D Land					   Nintendo		11/11/03     2,831	1,864,208

Oh wow, I remember people thought this just completely dropped when NSMB2 came out. I wonder if it will ever reach 2M.

I'm guessing thats 500k retail orders aka shipment not 500k preorder?

4gamer and dengeki online reported the news as preorders

受注本数が50万本を突破したと発表した

Alrus

Code:

Oh wow, I remember people thought this just completely dropped when NSMB2 came out. I wonder if it will ever reach 2M.

If it follows the same kind of sales pattern as SM64 DS, it should reach 2M at some point, shouldn't be too surprising.

Bruno MB

I wonder if Nippon Ichi is happy or not with the sales of The Witch and the Hundred Knights. Will end up with over 80K soon.

They have to be happy, it will become the third best-selling non-Disgaia game for the company.

Best-selling Nippon Ichi games:

Code:
01. [PS2] Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories (Nippon Ichi Software) {2006.02.23] - 97.456 / 150.428	
02. [PS2] Phantom Brave (Nippon Ichi Software) {2004.01.22} - 101.558 / 148.295	
03. [PS3] Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011.02.24} - 77.449 / 129.031	
04. [PS2] Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (Nippon Ichi Software) {2003.01.30} - 46.883 / 124.316	
05. [PS2] Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome (Nippon Ichi Software {2005.03.17} - 83.588 / 116.672	
06. [PSP} Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days (Nippon Ichi Software) {2009.03.26} - 35.319 / 108.073	
07. [PSP] Disgaea Portable (Nippon Ichi Software) {2007.11.29} - 16.517 / 107.169	
08. [PS3] Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice (Nippon Ichi Software) {2008.01.31} - 56.441 / 93.227	
09. [PS2] Soul Nomad & the World Eaters (Nippon Ichi Software) {2007.02.15} - 48.433 / 80.557	
10. [PS3] Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness (Nippon Ichi Software) {2013.03.20} - 53.814 / 75.734

11. [B][PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights (Nippon Ichi Software) {2013.07.25} - 52.374 / 72.927[/B]

Code:

During the first six months of this year Super Mario 3D Land sold 80.403 units. From July 1 to August 18 only 3.185 and practically all these copies were sold last week.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that figure you posted is from Dengeki, forget my last sentence.

V8xTtrG.png

Uh oh, what games are releasing this week? This seems worrying.

Scum

They're essentially networks that span both feature phones and smartphones and your game gets promoted by them for being on the service (and you pay to be on the service).

They're essentially the publisher/distributor of the games on their service which are developed by publishers for them.

Or, put another way, in a traditional publisher/developer relationship, DeNA/GREE would be the publisher, and Square Enix/Sega/etc would be the developer.

So, instead of publishing through DeNA/GREE, these publishers are trying to make an advertising/cross-promotion network that's strong enough that they don't need to be on DeNA/GREE in order for their games to be a success, and thus make more money.

Basically they consider mobile to now be crucial enough to their business that improving margins on mobile games is important enough to invest in creating their own marketing/publishing network instead of using the existing ones.

I await the inevitable Capcom -esque announcement from S-E.

Alrus

The heatwave joke has really run its course >.> Guess we'll keep seeing it for next 3 years. It's becoming almost as bad as the "but they told me Nintendo is doomed" posts we often see.

And man, Disgaea D2 did awful for NIS, are they still in financial trouble? (I hope not because NISA finally entered a deal with Atlus for European releases, I want this to last >.>)

DaBoss

Nah, the heatwave joke is funny. It will be kinda funny with a cold snap version during a winter.

If it follows the same kind of sales pattern as SM64 DS, it should reach 2M at some point, shouldn't be too surprising.

Yea, after looking at Dengeki further it does seem that way.

During the first six months of this year it sold 80.403 units. From July 1 to August 18 only 3.185 and practically all these copies were sold last week.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that figure you posted is from Dengeki, forget my last sentence.

Is that according to Media Create?

OK lol. I was kinda confused about your second sentence.

Bruno MB

Is that according to Media Create?

OK lol. I was kinda confused about your second sentence.

The figures I posted are from Famitsu.

I found it really strange that it had sold so few units in the last 7 weeks. But since I'm sleepy (02:25 AM) it took me a bit to realize that that couldn't be possible :p

Edit: September's prediction league looks very interesting.

Road

Prediction League September, 2013

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Aug 26 to Sep 29):

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (16 days)
[PS3] JoJo's All Star Battle (32 days)
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIV ARR (34 days)
[PS3+360] Lost Planet 3 (32 days)
[PS3+PSV] Sen no Kiseki (4 days)
[WIU] Zelda Wind Waker HD (4 days)
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience Wars (4 days)
[3DS] Hardware (35 days)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: August, 28th 09:00 am (EST) (when Famitsu or Media Create first make their weekly sales public)

Attention:
  • Remember for some games it's not only the 1st week.
  • Multiplatform games are the combined available sales of each platform.
Rules:
  • The official monthly hardware sales will be the sum of weekly numbers for all versions of the system available from Famitsu.
  • The official monthly software sales will be the latest total or the sum of the weekly numbers if the title is release before the period available from the Famitsu Top 30.
  • The official monthly sales for multi-platform releases will be the combined available sales of each platform shown in the title entry.
  • The official monthly sales for games with multiple versions will be the combined available sales of each version shown in the title entry.
  • Any game missing in the Famitsu top 30 will be taken out of the predictions.
  • Any item missing in your prediction will be considered as if you had predicted zero for its sales.

DaBoss

I don't partake in the Prediction League, but this seems like the hardest month.

While it will no doubt that XIV hurt Squeenix, FFXHD should put the company back on a healthy financial course.

A remake will put the company back to a financially healthy future? It'll make them money for sure, but I'm not sure about it being the thing that sets the company straight.

The figures I posted are from Famitsu.

I found it really strange that it had sold so few units in the last 7 weeks. But since I'm sleepy (02:25 AM) it took me a bit to realize that that couldn't be possible :p

Oh OK. And that explains it why that number was so low. I seen that it sold around ~2K last week on Dengeki and was so confused as to how it would only sell ~1K for the 6 weeks prior to that week.

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (16 days) - 1.8m
[PS3] JoJo's All Star Battle (32 days) - 300k
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIV ARR (34 days) - 250k
[PS3+360] Lost Planet 3 (32 days) - 20k
[PS3+PSV] Sen no Kiseki (4 days) - 200k
[WIU] Zelda Wind Waker HD (4 days) - 120k
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience Wars (4 days) - 50k
[3DS] Hardware (35 days) - 300k

Edit: First time taking part on this don't grill me.

Bruno MB

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Aug 26 to Sep 29):

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (16 days) - 2.300.000
[PS3] JoJo's All Star Battle (32 days) - 570.000
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIV ARR (34 days) - 160.000
[PS3+360] Lost Planet 3 (32 days) - 45.000
[PS3+PSV] Sen no Kiseki (4 days) - 200.000
[WIU] Zelda Wind Waker HD (4 days) - 132.000
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience Wars (4 days) - 55.000
[3DS] Hardware (35 days) - 590.000

Lumyst

This was a no brainer, I don't even know why 3DS version was made.

Was it one of those "Anime-looking" games that's full of girls, because those kinds of games have always screamed "PlayStation" to me for some reason (didn't Senran Kagura have similar or greater sales on the Vita compared to 3DS?).

cafemomo

A remake will put the company back to a financially healthy future? It'll make them money for sure, but I'm not sure about it being the thing that sets the company straight.

FFX is a very beloved title in Japan and the remake would not only set the Vita as a serious competitor to the 3DS but also help out Square financially.

Alrus

FFX is a very beloved title in Japan and the remake would not only set the Vita as a serious competitor to the 3DS but also help out Square financially.

There is optimism and then there's delusions...

You do know that FF X/X2 HD is releasing on PS3, where you get both game at once right?

saichi

Really? I thought I was being kinda realistic in seeing FFXIV doing around 400k. Damn, that's gonna be some bad numbers if you're right.

DQX sold close to 600K, not 400K, on Wii.

People really overestimate FF games in Japan now. It's not late 1990's anymore.

baekshi

Banned
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (16 days) - 1,802,009
[PS3] JoJo's All Star Battle (32 days) - 645,999
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIV ARR (34 days) - 245,350
[PS3+360] Lost Planet 3 (32 days) - 80,000
[PS3+PSV] Sen no Kiseki (4 days) - 135,111
[WIU] Zelda Wind Waker HD (4 days) - 88,000
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience Wars (4 days) - 25,000
[3DS] Hardware (35 days) - 522,229

Alrus

I'll try this again, it's been a while :)

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (16 days) - 2,500,000
[PS3] JoJo's All Star Battle (32 days) - 400,000
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIV ARR (34 days) - 122,000
[PS3+360] Lost Planet 3 (32 days) - 100,000
[PS3+PSV] Sen no Kiseki (4 days) - 115,000
[WIU] Zelda Wind Waker HD (4 days) - 150,000
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience Wars (4 days) - 75,757
[3DS] Hardware (35 days) - 500,000

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (16 days) - 1,302,009
[PS3] JoJo's All Star Battle (32 days) - 445,999
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIV ARR (34 days) - 245,050
[PS3+360] Lost Planet 3 (32 days) - 80,000
[PS3+PSV] Sen no Kiseki (4 days) - 165,111
[WIU] Zelda Wind Waker HD (4 days) - 88,000
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience Wars (4 days) - 25,000
[3DS] Hardware (35 days) - 722,229

Those are way too low imo. Even LBX W 3DS did better than that. And MH4 is going to do better than that in its first week. Any reason you think it's going to underperform this badly?

DaBoss

Monster Hunter 4 will have download cards right?

I think you have too much optimism towards FFX HD. DQ7 is also a beloved title in Japan. It was remade on the 3DS and it sold just north of 1.1M.

Now FFX/X-2 HD is on both the PS3 and Vita. The PS3 version has both games on one disc, thus the PS3 version is more favorable since you don't have to buy both separately like you do with the Vita. It will probably sell great on the PS3, and well on the Vita, but it is hard to imagine that this game would turn the Vita around and make it a serious competitor to the 3DS. And I've already said it will make money for Square, but you are over exaggerating the amount it will make for them.

ohlawd

Those are way too low imo. Even LBX W 3DS did better than that. And MH4 is going to do better than that in its first week. Any reason you think it's going to underperform this badly?

Hoping for a MH4 bomba so Monster Hunter will rightfully be back on Sony systems.

/sarcasm

Busaiku

But there is, otherwise we wouldn't see a 3DS version to a PSP sequel. Just not as much as on Sony platforms.

A random 50k game is a random 50k game, be it on a 10M or 1M install base.

Right, but I thought those games would've built something of an audience on 3DS for Conception, like the 2:1 ratio that was shipped.
But instead it looks like the 3DS game may do much worse.

Monster Hunter 4 will have download cards right?

I think you have too much optimism towards FFX HD. DQ7 is also a beloved title in Japan. It was remade on the 3DS and it sold just north of 1.1M.

Now FFX/X-2 HD is on both the PS3 and Vita. The PS3 version has both games on one disc, thus the PS3 version is more favorable since you don't have to buy both separately like you do with the Vita. It will probably sell great on the PS3, and well on the Vita, but it is hard to imagine that this game would turn the Vita around and make it a serious competitor to the 3DS. And I've already said it will make money for Square, but you are over exaggerating the amount it will make for them.
I think I would prefer having it on the Vita for portability even though the PS3 version will likely be a better deal. I'm not sure how widespread that sentiment is though. I expect the PS3 version to sell twice the number of copies as Vita.

ohlawd

I haven't been paying attention to FFX HD news.

I know PS3 gets both in one disc, how about Vita? Separate?

Separate on Vita sounds better to me imo, because FFX is a piece of shit and I can get FFX-2 by itself (haven't played it but it's guaranteed to be better at least)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Goddamn you said this in multiple threads as well :O

"Set the Vita as a serious competitor to the 3DS"? Whoa goddamn.

Do we know if its a fancier high capacity one?

I would imagine Nintendo would give the highest priority in production scheduling for this.

It doesn't look like it.

If you look at that image, it says Monster Hunter 4 is 1740 MB (13920 Blocks). That means it should easily fit into a normal 16 Gbit card.

Top Bottom