• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2015 (Aug 10 - Aug 16)

Oregano

Just Dance: YW, Taiko and Pokken. Wii U is back bitches.

Any announcements seem a bit weird after the dead E3.

L~A

Nintendo is not like the others competitors

Nintendo is only involved with Pokkén Tournament. The other two are Level-5/Ubi and Bandai-Namco. For both of those, dev costs are most likely quite small, and sales should be more than enough for them to be profitable.

As for Pokkén Tournament, it may be on Wii U, it's still going to sell more than enough to be profitable too. So not really surprised by any of the announcements.

Vena

With Pokken getting announced, I think that may be one of the last games we see released on the WiiU (before Zelda)... especially since I can't think of anything else but then again this is Nintendo we're talking about so they may announce more out of nowehere. Spring 2016 lines up well with my expectations of the home console coming in towards year's end of 2016, but I still think the handheld is going to be sooner.

Pokken's only even greenlit for the release since it should do well enough to justify the port, and the main money will remain in the arcade sphere for the title.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Have you ever heard about the term "Silver Week"? It's a holiday period that only occurs some years in Japan.

2015 is one of these years, September 21st Monday is a national holiday (respect for the aged Day), and September 23rd Wednesday is Autumnal Equinox Day.
The japanese law stipulates that a laboral day between two national holidays should become a holiday too (that makes Tuesday 22nd a national holiday).

So, this year 2015 from Saturday 19th to Wednesday 23th there're 5 consecutive holiday days, and that's called Silver Week.

Last Silver Week was in year 2009.
Next Silver Week will be in 2020.

Silver Week won't have big impact at sales if there aren't important releases for that period. You can't expect many things from only existing software.

L~A

Silver Week won't have big impact at sales if there aren't important releases for that period. You can't expect many things from only existing software.

Well, there's Super Mario Maker on the 10th, and Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon on the 17th.

Oregano

The new Taiko has Amiibo support. First third party Wii U game to do so(not that there was much opportunity) and again it's a Bamco game. Wonder if/when Nintendo will expand Amiibo to third party IPs(other than Smash characters).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
You don't save the day with 2 "big" releases that will have 100-200k and 300-400k openings.

Wait, those aren't considered big at all anymore? I understand we have giant franchises that open w/ like 1M+ on 3DS like Pokemon, MH, DQ & YW, but still... 300-400K openings are pretty decent these days.... MK7 opened at something like 400K+, right?

Just Dance: YW, Taiko and Pokken. Wii U is back bitches.

Any announcements seem a bit weird after the dead E3.

Pokkén is a project that was almost certainly planned for Wii U right from the beginning, and they were just waiting until it had hit arcades before the announcements. Taiko and Just Dance are cheap and cheerful third party games that never would have been seen at an E3 anyway.

When people have been saying that Nintendo isn't going to make any more significant Wii U announcements, that's always been with the footnote that Pokkén's almost certainly coming down the line. We can take that footnote away now.

Oregano

Pokkén is a project that was almost certainly planned for Wii U right from the beginning, and they were just waiting until it had hit arcades before the announcements. Taiko and Just Dance are cheap and cheerful third party games that never would have been seen at an E3 anyway.

When people have been saying that Nintendo isn't going to make any more significant Wii U announcements, that's always been with the footnote that Pokkén's almost certainly coming down the line. We can take that footnote away now.

Nah, Just Dance: YW and Taiko would have been at Nintendo's E3 if they were relevant to the western markets. Neither of the three announcements are anything major though Just Dance is a bit of a surprise.

Oxx

The new Taiko has Amiibo support. First third party Wii U game to do so(not that there was much opportunity) and again it's a Bamco game. Wonder if/when Nintendo will expand Amiibo to third party IPs(other than Smash characters).

All I need is a Dragon Quest Slime Amiibo.

100-200k is for Pokémon, right?

No. I think he meant that for Super Mario Maker. Mario games often launch in that range. Pokemon should eclipse 300k.

Edit: Maybe... the common debuts for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon are around 150k so I could be wrong. The first two both opened much higher, but those were during peak DS years.

Comgnet points to a good opening for this iteration though.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
No. I think he meant that for Super Mario Maker. Mario games often launch in that range. Pokemon should eclipse 300k.

Edit: Maybe... the common debuts for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon are around 150k so I could be wrong. The first two both opened much higher, but those were during peak DS years.

Comgnet points to a good opening for this iteration though.

Yeh, the 3DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game performed like this:
36 3DS Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity 125,911 393,489 Pokémon Co. 2012-11-23

So... unless this iteration sells better, it's actually possible for Mario Maker to sell better in the long term (bundling will probably help as well).

Yeh, the 3DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game performed like this:
36 3DS Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity 125,911 393,489 Pokémon Co. 2012-11-23

So... unless this iteration sells better, it's actually possible for Mario Maker to sell better in the long term (bundling will probably help as well).

I think Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon may have a chance of selling better than the previous iteration due to the lack of any mainline Pokemon games this year. It could fill a void for those looking for some Pokemon action (in any form).

I don't see SMM opening above 300k though, that would be impressive.

Wiggy

According to Famitsu Digital Estimates LTD:

[PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition [Digital Version] <ADV> (Mojang AB) (¥2.057) - 318.597
[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition [Digital Version] <ADV> (Mojang AB) (¥2.057) - 294.107
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition [Digital Version] <ADV> (Mojang AB) (¥2.057) - 115.419

Total PlayStation Store: 728.123

Ah, so it has already crossed a million in Japan. Thanks for the digital numbers.

Xbro

I believe one of the One Piece games had support.

BKK

It seems that Famitsu does this mistake quite often. Is there reason? Or simply negligence?

"Superior tracker" ... or they're just one of the last men standing of many magazines who's primary target for their weekly sales charts were magazine readers rather than profesional organisations such as publishers. That's probably why the manufacturers use a company who's primary business is tracking sales rather than filling a few pages in a magazine.

"Superior tracker" ... or they're just one of the last men standing of many magazines who's primary target for their weekly sales charts were magazine readers rather than profesional organisations such as publishers. That's probably why the manufacturers use a company who's primary business is tracking sales rather than filling a few pages in a magazine.

There are 23k difference betwen YW Busters LTD on M-C and Famitsu, that's a huge discrepance indeed.
Enterbrain publishes the White Book evey year which is targeted to professional audience, don't see around so many people except some fools like me interested in buying a 30,000 yen book or more just to fill up some charts

I'm looking for 1994 and 1995 data to definitely complete PS1 and Saturn charts, can someone tell me where I can find data from the "professional organization" ? Cause I just find data from the filling some pages magazine around Japan :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
First Day Sell-Through {2015.08.20}

[3DS] Super Robot Wars BX <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.08.20} (¥7.171) - 60-70% the shipment is lower than UX but sell-through is better

Still seems to be selling quite well, esp with the highly positive word of mouth going around on the internet! Good to see and do agree with a lot of what the folks are saying as the title is quite well made as the previous.

people gotta stop looking at the weekly numbers and focus on the LTD numbers, which is similar enough for both trackers regarding both software and hardware

sure they've probably had bigger differences in the past but these recent cases like wii u/ps4/yw are hardly a concern

horuhe

Today at COMG! Yoshida store there is an event with a lot of stuff going on. First, a Yu-Gi-Oh! tournament and also a Smash Bros. tournament. However, what's more important here is that there will be in few hours a Metal Gear talk show, is a one-man show by the staff of the store. Maybe, it's not relevant, but possibly could affect MGSV pre-orders.

Vena

Today at COMG! Yoshida store there is an event with a lot of stuff going on. First, a Yu-Gi-Oh! tournament and also a Smash Bros. tournament. However, what's more important here is that there will be in few hours a Metal Gear talk show, is a one-man show by the staff of the store. Maybe, it's not relevant, but possibly could affect MGSV pre-orders.

Absolutely tiny due to the limits. This is partly why COMG is often times weird in its reliability and can sometimes (or for certain titles) be biased in points per thousand sales.

Probably most of you wont' be interested, but I want to post here anyway.

In the past years with the help of many gaffers here we made available charts for old systems, but even after 20 years systems like PS1 and Saturn don't have a complete full chart due to the problem in finding old data.

Some weeks ago I started a project to fill this void, actually I'm not sure yet if I will reach the goal, but at least yesterday a step has been made.
With the help of BKK and Celine from retro sales age topic we found some interesting data, and since I got Famitsu #331 issue now we have the first week numbers from both Tekken and Virtua Fighter.

Tekken launched on March 31 and sold 292,551 units, Virtua Fighter followed the day after, April 1, and sold 233,885 units.

On April 2, 1995, end of FY 1994 we had this situation for Saturn :

Saturn hw : around 800k units sold
Virtua Fighter : 482,107 units sold
Panzer Dragoon : 261,913 sold
Daytona USA : 233,885 units sold

I think it's interesting to see the amazing tie ratio Virtua Fighter had, less the 1:2

I hope I can provide more interesting data in the future, if someone is interested I sincerely suggest to take a look at retro sales age topic, I think here is not the right place to talk about 20 years old thing :)

horuhe

Absolutely tiny due to the limits. This is partly why COMG is often times weird in its reliability and can sometimes (or for certain titles) be biased in points per thousand sales.

Agreed, of course. But, it was something I wanted to comment. Those little retailers besides they can't show the wide situation, at least for me, is interesting see how a game or a console does it, particulary there. As I said, maybe tomorrow COMG! would be good for MGSV or maybe not, who knows.

Probably most of you wont' be interested, but I want to post here anyway.

Tekken launched on March 31 and sold 292,551 units, Virtua Fighter followed the day after, April 1, and sold 233,885 units.

On April 2, 1995, end of FY 1994 we had this situation for Saturn :

Saturn hw : around 800k units sold
Virtua Fighter : 482,107 units sold
Panzer Dragoon : 261,913 sold
Daytona USA : 233,885 units sold

I think it's interesting to see the amazing tie ratio Virtua Fighter had, less the 1:2

I hope I can provide more interesting data in the future, if someone is interested I sincerely suggest to take a look at retro sales age topic, I think here is not the right place to talk about 20 years old thing :)

That's pretty interesting. Didn't know even there was a retro thread. It's not place to discuss, though. I always has been interested on how Saturn did in Japan. Virtua Fighter was a phenomenon at that time, it was the arcade hit, so I suppose that's why.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases

{2015.08.13}

[3DS] Atelier Deco la Doll Collection <ETC> (Starfish SD) (¥3.780)

{2015.08.20}

[3DS] Super Robot Wars BX <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.171)

[PSV] Reine des Fleurs # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Reine des Fleurs (1/1)(Limited Edition) <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.424)
[PSV] Romeo Vs. Juliet: Whole Volume Pack # <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥7.992)
[PSV] Romeo Vs. Juliet: Whole Volume Pack (1/1)(Deluxe Edition) <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥9.936)

[PS3] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 + 2 {Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas \ Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2} [1/1][Ubi the Best] <ADV> (Ubisoft) (¥3.218)

{2015.08.27}

[3DS] New Nintendo 3DS LL Metallic Red <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥20.304)
[3DS] Famicom Remix Best Choice <Balloon Fight \ Donkey Kong \ Donkey Kong Jr. \ Dr. Mario \ Excitebike \ Kid Icarus \ Kirby's Adventure \ Mario Bros. \ Metroid \ Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! \ Super Mario Bros. \ Super Mario Bros. 2 \ Super Mario Bros. 3 \ Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels \ The Legend of Zelda \ Zelda II: The Adventure of Link> <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥3.996)
[3DS] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥6.458)
[3DS] Tetsudou Nippon! Rosen Tabi: Yui Rail-Hen <SLG> (Sonic Powered) (¥6.264)
[3DS] Kobayashi ga Kawai Sugite Tsurai!! Game Demo Kyun Moe Max ga Tomara Nai <ACT> (Happinet) (¥6.280)

[PSV] Himawari: Pebble in the Sky <ADV> (Prototype) (¥5.940)
[PSV] Rear Pheles: Red of Another <ADV> (Matatabi) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden 1 + 2 <Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden \ Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden 2> <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥7.344)

[PS4] Until Dawn <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥7.452)
[PS4] Dragon's Dogma Online <RPG> (Capcom) (¥8.424)
[PS4] Dishonored: Definitive Edition <RPG> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥5.184)

[XB1] Dishonored: Definitive Edition <RPG> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥5.184)

[PS3] Dragon's Dogma Online <RPG> (Capcom) (¥8.424)
[PS3] TV Anime Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls G4U! Pack Vol.4 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.778)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
With actual preorders situation Mario Maker would need a miracle week to see a 400k result, not a Silver one LOL

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
With actual preorders situation Mario Maker would need a miracle week to see a 400k result, not a Silver one LOL

Mario Maker's top will be something like half of that but since you seem to have preorders for it and know its preorders/sales ratio why don't you share them with the rest.

100-200k is for Pokémon, right?

100-200k is for Mario Mario Maker and for Pokemon substract 100k from FW, I thought previous openened higher.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
11889420_119635301716864_6488368538329007351_n.jpg

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 35, 2015 (Aug 24 - Aug 30)

[3DS] Dragon Quest VIII < 700k
[3DS] Animal Crossing < 70k
[3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters < 40k
[WIU] Splatoon < 30k

Spiegel

Not bad for DQVIII if it sells around that number.
That would mean > 1M LTD and that's with the recent re-release on mobile devices.

casiopao

What are peoples thoughts on Arslan Musou and how it wll do LT?

Depend here. I think it will be able to do quite well maybe around 150k+? As i feel Yoshiki Tanaka rabid fan like me lol are going to get the game day one.

The anime and manga actually i feel is doing quite okay considering for the first season, it actually is given immediately 26 episode which nowadays is damn rare. The manga done by Arakawa Hiromu is also helping a lot.^_^

And also considering that the anime had quite a huge push in Japan(Tsutaya) i can see it doing quite ok.

They need to add more characters though. Only having 6 main character is going to kill the game there.

YSO predictions

[WIU] Splatoon < 30k

DQ is not really doing that hot i see.T_T Damn mobile remake. And of course, AC,YW and Splat is legging and tentacleing(Is this even a word lol.) in the chart.^_^

noshten

YSO predictions

[WIU] Splatoon < 30k

How is the DQ Port being received - is going to make its way to the West?

Animal Crossing going to get to 1mil by the end of Sept.

Splatoon above 20k is going to mean that it might pass Lifetime sales of SSB(Wii U) by mid Sept. While also probably overtaking MK8 in their h2h.

Alrus

DQ is not really doing that hot i see.T_T Damn mobile remake. And of course, AC,YW and Splat is legging and tentacleing(Is this even a word lol.) in the chart.^_^

Huh, a debut close to 700k isn't bad at all for a downport.

How is the DQ Port being received - is going to make its way to the West?

It's not out yet so it's hard to say how it's being received. And well, both the DQM remakes and the DQVII remake didn't get localized so I wouldn't hold much hope of this being localized either.

Top Bottom