• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2017 (Aug 14 - Aug 20)

Yeah, but it doesn't matter if they lose 2.5 million people in Japan if they gain more than 2.5 million outside of Japan.

2.5 million is still more than most of their games not named monhun or resi sell anyway so to just lose those customers would be a terrible use of resources, also the chances of them gaining 2.5m outside japan is pretty much slim to non existant

Oregano

2.5 million is still more than most of their games not named monhun or resi sell anyway so to lose those customers would be a terrible use of resources, also the chances of them gaining 2.5m outside japan is pretty much slim to non existant

Sure it's a massive risk but that's obviously what they're counting on. If World is successful they don't need a Switch game if World isn't successful it's not like it will matter how long they take to get a Switch game out because A) They have no competition and B) They'll have bigger problems.

Sure it's a massive risk but that's obviously what they're counting on. If World is successful they don't need a Switch game if World isn't successful it's not like it will matter how long they take to get a Switch game out because A) They have no competition and B) They'll have bigger problems.

Even at the best possible expectations (except maybe some board member at capcpom's) sales will be down and massively so in japan, you think investors will be happy seeing that money left on the table

Oregano

Even at the best possible expectations (except maybe some board member at capcpom's) sales will be down and massively so in japan, you think investors will be happy seeing that money left on the table

MH World could be massively successful in the west. You shouldn't count it out.

Even if it does decline it still depends whether they think it's because of platform choice or Capcom's general incompetence. There's no guarantee a Switch version would make up the difference.

MH World could be massively successful in the west. You shouldn't count it out.

Even if it does decline it still depends whether they think it's because of platform choice or Capcom's general incompetence. There's no guarantee a Switch version would make up the difference.

Yeah and i could win the lottery tonight

Should also remember it was selling over a million in the west already, there's no way on the planet it'll do the 3.5 it'll need to make up for lost japanese sales

Oregano

Yeah and i could win the lottery tonight

Should also remember it was selling over a million in the west already, there's no way on the planet it'll do the 3.5 it'll need to make up for lost japanese sales

*shrugs* I doubt it will, but it could.

Regardless unless the whole company implodes it doesn't matter to Capcom and it's the reason they can get away with their shambolic treatment of MHXX Switch. If audiences want handheld hunting action going forward MHXX is their only option and they'd wait however long it took a new handheld MH game.

Eolz

So you do expect Capcom to bring the MHW GaaS to Switch? Previous portable versions successfully worked as mostly incremental updates that the userbase repeatedly bought into. MHW is so far announced more as a platform that will continuously get DLC and updates. Maybe Switch will indeed get the same MHW platform with no frictions for the userbase. I already wrote why I don't expect this and how that could become a big issue for Capcom.

I'm not expecting anything anymore with Capcom :p
I'm just saying it would have made more sense (it wouldn't make sense to release World Lite 9 months later even if they'll probably do that).
I don't expect MH to work well as a GaaS title, but they'll have to go there at some point anyway.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Its not an either or proposition, especially with Switch's success in Japan and world wide.

Hero

Given how everything else Capcom has done this generation has failed to meet their own internal forecasts and failed their fans, I would not be so optimistic on World.

Oregano

Its not an either or proposition, especially with Switch's success in Japan and world wide.

It is at some level. They might not have the resources to make two separate HD games/series and they could feel (rightly or wrongly) that making games/assets with Switch in mind would hold them back on the important systems.

LordKano

It is at some level. They might not have the resources to make two separate HD games/series and they could feel (rightly or wrongly) that making games/assets with Switch in mind would hold them back on the important systems.

Not that I believe they will do that, but it's Capcom we're talking about, not a small indie studio. Amount of resources isn't a problem, especially in Monster Hunter's case.

schuelma

You act like they would have to completely redo things for a Switch title.

Zedark

There's also been mentions of lotteries for the bundle, could that suggest more bundles were shipped than preordered?
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened. There have been extra bundles made since the initial batch at the announcement, since last week and this week extra units are being sold.

Capcom develops all the latest games with the premise that they 1) keep selling as catalog sales and 2) generate continuous additional income through DLC. MHW is a big budget MH entry fit to fill that same mold (and it has to for it not to become a financial disaster relative to the previous sales in Japan at the very least).

I don't know about online only, does it have local multiplayer?

You wrote they will bring a 5th gen MH title to Switch and HMW is that 5th gen MH title, do you expect them to downport that to Switch (like you previously indicated) or more of a spin off using the same assets etc.? MHW is no MMO with paid subscriptions so Capcom's motivation to downport MHW to Switch and continue to support it with everything home consoles/PC get might be pretty low. Giving Switch its own entry would only ensure a fragmentation of the userbase with unclear parameters (is it worth a bigger budget to hold its own next to MHW, would a traditionally lower budget still be sufficient to bring in the millions of sales portable versions generated?), something Capcom likely isn't too keen on when they plan with continuous income through DLC etc. on MHW.
I still don't see the issue on Switch, this would all work. Downporting shouldnt be a big issue either, it's not as if MHW is the most ambitious title ever. If a Switch version is coming it only makes sense to have a portable version of MHW.

Yeah, but it doesn't matter if they lose 2.5 million people in Japan if they gain more than 2.5 million outside of Japan.
Yeah, no Switch version only makes sense if they expect to sell 3m+ in the west. Seeing that free DLC is already announced they seem to be following the same path as before, making money directly with the game sales and not heavy DLC sales and milking a smaller userbase.

Now Capcom these days seem to be all about shrinking their userbase but this time it comes with much higher dev costs and no manufacturer deal (or maybe there is a deal, depending on whether one believes in those rumors-I don't btw). Doesn't make a lot of sense but it is Capcom after all.

Oregano

Not that I believe they will do that, but it's Capcom we're talking about, not a small indie studio. Amount of resources isn't a problem, especially in Monster Hunter's case.

They apparently don't have the resources to release the PC version of World day and date.*shrugs*

You act like they would have to completely redo things for a Switch title.

How many AAA PS4-to-Switch ports are we seeing?

The gap between Switch and PS4 might be smaller than past Nintendo handhelds to consoles but it's still a big gap.

suicreeps

The main thing that will matter for MHXX is if it has legs like the 3DS version, if not I doubt it will hit capcom's expectations.

Fukuzatsu

The series is getting troubles in Asia too. Yakuza 6 is not loved in Asia.

According to what, exactly? The game has serious performance problems on base PS4, but it's hardly unplayable, and the story isn't awful either (in my opinion at least). I've not seen data for regions outside of Japan, but at least domestically it's in the top 10 PS4 games sold and did better than either Zero or Kiwami. Perhaps also due to the other two also coming out on PS3 quite a bit ago, but still.

schuelma

How many AAA PS4-to-Switch ports are we seeing?

The gap between Switch and PS4 might be smaller than past Nintendo handhelds to consoles but it's still a big gap.

We're already seeing a decent amount of PS4/Switch titles from Japanese publishers.

Aters

According to what, exactly? The game has serious performance problems on base PS4, but it's hardly unplayable, and the story isn't awful either (in my opinion at least). I've not seen data for regions outside of Japan, but at least domestically it's in the top 10 PS4 games sold and did better than either Zero or Kiwami. Perhaps also due to the other two also coming out on PS3 quite a bit ago, but still.

According to word of mouth of course. Some complains are about the story (You said story isn't awful in your opinion, so I guess you've heard some criticism yourself), some are just getting tired, same as Assassin's Creed.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened. There have been extra bundles made since the initial batch at the announcement, since last week and this week extra units are being sold.

There's also been mentions of lotteries for the bundle, could that suggest more bundles were shipped than those preordered?
There was a second round of preorders after the initial one and some stores also put them on lotteries.

It won't be a small number but not any extraordinary one. Completely speculated from myself but maybe Nintendo has shipped something close to 40-50k. That would be very high since they went with almost 100k new 2DS LL Dragon Quest bundles. Media Create could give the exact number.

The main thing that will matter for MHXX is if it has legs like the 3DS version, if not I doubt it will hit capcom's expectations.

With the switch userbase growing and the end of year holidays I'm sure it will make it to the alleged expectations of 300k, prior to world being announced though i thought this was an easy million+ seller

Fukuzatsu

According to word of mouth of course. Some complains are about the story (You said story isn't awful in your opinion, so I guess you've heard some criticism yourself), some are just getting tired, same as Assassin's Creed.

Well, I've heard criticism about it in the sense that there are some Amazon reviews on Amazon JP talking about the combat system having been oversimplified, something I agree with in part, feels a bit limited even if what is there isn't bad.

However, outside of that, what I have seen outside of that criticism-wise is a bunch of trash on 4chan about how supposedly "OH SEGA REALLY PANDERED TO THE CHINESE".

If anything, I'd give Sega props for a. getting some people who actually speak Chinese and/or Korean for once (not that there have been zero, but it's been iffy in the past), and b. integrating it well into the story Kiryu's following. In terms of what does feel lacking about the story, to me, Akiyama feels out of place and Majima/Saejima/Daigo have basically no role in the main game.

However, Someya is a really enjoyable character, and as someone who knows his stuff outside of Yakuza, the guy who plays Nagumo (Miyasako Hiroyuki) is pretty fun too. He's from Kansai but does his best to sound like a podunk guy from Hiroshima, and has experience with acting prior to this. His performance goes a long way I think.

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE SEPTEMBER 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Aug 28 to Sep 24):

[PS4] New Everybody's Golf (25 days) -
[PS4] Destiny 2 (19 days) -
[PS4] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (11 days) -
[3DS] Metroid: Samus Returns (10 days) -
[PS4] Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (4 days) -
[NSW] Pokken Tournament DX (3 days) -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: August 30 2017 09:00 am (EST)

Attention:
  • Remember for some games it's not only the 1st week.
  • Multiplatform entries are the combined available sales of each platform described.

Rules:
  • Do not edit your post after the deadline. If you do, you'll be disqualified.
  • The official monthly hardware sales will be the sum of weekly numbers for all versions of the system available from Famitsu.
  • The official monthly software sales will be the latest total or the sum of the weekly numbers if the title is release before the period available from the Famitsu Top 30.
  • The official monthly sales for multi-platform releases will be the combined available sales of each platform shown in the title entry.
  • The official monthly sales for games with multiple versions will be the combined available sales of each version shown in the title entry.
  • Any game missing in the Famitsu top 30 will be taken out of the predictions.

AniHawk

None of them AAA/comparable in scope to Monster Hunter World and the vast majority of games PS4/Switch share are Vita games, or sequels to Vita games.

it may be that way for a while or even indefinitely, where the switch is basically 'what if the vita was successful', but it will get steady japanese support and it's ramping up in earnest.

Fukuzatsu

Month of bombs is coming.

Is it really? It depends whether you consider it to have bombed or not, but UC4 did about 165,000 in its first month, so maybe Lost Legacy can get around 150,000?
Even for Destiny 2, the first one did around 115k in the first month, and was held back by also being on PS3 (that version sold around another 91k in the first month).

Zedark

Is it really? It depends whether you consider it to have bombed or not, but UC4 did about 165,000 in its first month, so maybe Lost Legacy can get around 150,000?
I doubt season pass downloads are counted, so no way im hell imo.
Seriously doubt it'll happen even if season pass were counted.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Packed DLC will do 150k?

Even then there are many titles in there, not only Uncharted.

Fiendcode

Shipments from Sega:

Yakuza Zero over 500,000 Japan + Asia (over 100,000 sold through Asia)
Yakuza Kiwami over 200,000 Asia
Yakuza 6 over 500,000 Japan + Asia

I seems like 6 probably undersold Kiwami in Asia given the Japanese take of those shipments.

schuelma

it may be that way for a while or even indefinitely, where the switch is basically 'what if the vita was successful', but it will get steady japanese support and it's ramping up in earnest.

Yeah that's what I really don't get- Switch support is clearly ramping up from Japan and we're not even to the likely September Direct. I don't know what we are even arguing about in this thread anymore.

Fukuzatsu

Shipments from Sega:

Yakuza Zero over 500,000 Japan + Asia (over 100,000 sold through Asia)
Yakuza Kiwami over 200,000 Asia
Yakuza 6 over 500,000 Japan + Asia

I seems like 6 probably undersold Kiwami in Asia given the Japanese take of those shipments.

Last MC numbers for Yakuza 6 were around 331,000, but let's say that the Japanese figures got up to 350,000. So if Asia numbers are somewhere in the ballpark of 150,000, that is less than Kiwami. Ordinarily I would think a remaster should do worse than a new game, but one thing to consider is, was Yakuza even a thing with a presence in Asia when it originally released? If not, perhaps consumers just viewed it as 'a sequel to Zero' rather than 'remake of Y1/RGG1', which would've supressed sales in other markets.

As to why 6 did worse (though by no means 'bad' by comparison), I mean, maybe just too many releases? I would think if the 6 had some kind of downright awful reputation it would have cost them more than 25% sales.

LordKano

Hopefully the extremely soon Direct will provide news about upcoming japanese third party support so the discussion will change a bit from "what if Capcom never do a MH on a Nintendo console again ?!".

Oregano

Yeah that's what I really don't get- Switch support is clearly ramping up from Japan and we're not even to the likely September Direct. I don't know what we are even arguing about in this thread anymore.

My point was simply about the fact that it may not be feasible to port MHW and/or its assets to Switch and going forward Capcom may not think it worthwhile to create assets that can be used on Switch.

The existence of other Switch/PS4 titles(that are clearly aiming at a lower technical benchmark) don't really have any bearing on that.

Fukuzatsu

I doubt season pass downloads are counted, so no way im hell imo.
Seriously doubt it'll happen even if season pass were counted.

Ah, right, I forgot Season Pass holders also get a download for it. No idea then, but that's still not a 'bomb', just a game where the numbers don't bear out well for retail, new purchases.

schuelma

My point was simply about the fact that it may not be feasible to port MHW and/or its assets to Switch and going forward Capcom may not think it worthwhile to create assets that can be used on Switch.

I'm not a tech guy at all, but given the engine its running on and everything I've seen visually, I'd be extremely surprised if Capcom cannot reuse a lot of assets for a Switch game.

The most baffling thing about the way Capcom treats MHXX is the lack of the western release. Do they expect the switch to do well in Japan or something and then crap in the West? When indicators shows that it is doing just as well if not better than Japan! Especially considering that it actually has real competition in the western market.

Indeed, some ips are actually doing better in the west than in Japan as well.

Top Bottom