• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2017 (Aug 14 - Aug 20)

Great work Nirolak. Very informative. Capcom and Level 5 have been really quiet. I'm sure they have at least one major announcement for THE but I could be wrong.

I agree with this overall assessment as well. It took a while for most of the industry to transition to PS4 with significant titles. While it won't take as long for Switch, it will take time. In the meantime it will be mostly varying levels of ports/remaster. Also as you said the Switch probably will be sold out for a significant amount of time especially if they can get Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros., Mario Maker and Pokemon next year. Although I'm fully anticipating Pokemon being delayed to Spring 2019 or later.
I'd bet far more on Pokémon turning up next year than Smash. Things are lining up nicely for the next generation at the end of next year, whereas I think we've passed the threshold where a Smash port makes more sense than a full new entry.

Sandfox

I'd bet far more on Pokémon turning up next year than Smash. Things are lining up nicely for the next generation at the end of next year, whereas I think we've passed the threshold where a Smash port makes more sense than a full new entry.

Yeah, at this point I'm expecting a sequel in 2019+. I think Pokemon will be a holiday 2019 title though.

Wow, I haven't looked at one of these in over a year. Why did the first page freak out so much about the Switch drop, aren't they still supply constrained in japan? So last week just had more stock than this one I assume.

Yeah, at this point I'm expecting a sequel in 2019+. I think Pokemon will be a holiday 2019 title though.
All the signs are that there's not much more to deal with for this Pokémon generation before they start revealing the next, and USUM doesn't look like it's going to give the generation any more life. I firmly believe that we're looking at the end of next year; I certainly don't think Game Freak are in the habit of announcing games two-and-a-half years in advance, USUM backlash or otherwise.

Wow, I haven't looked at one of these in over a year. Why did the first page freak out so much about the Switch drop, aren't they still supply constrained in japan? So last week just had more stock than this one I assume.

Freaking out is the baseline in MC threads.

Yeah, it's supply constraints leading into a (probably) big week with MHXX bundles

We have a launch-aligned Switch vs. 3DS graph competition and things are getting real now for the 3DS in 2011 so it would be nice if Nintendo would let the Switch line stay above the 3DS one.

Other than that, it's fine.

Sandfox

All the signs are that there's not much more to deal with for this Pokémon generation before they start revealing the next, and USUM doesn't look like it's going to give the generation any more life. I firmly believe that we're looking at the end of next year; I certainly don't think Game Freak are in the habit of announcing games two-and-a-half years in advance, USUM backlash or otherwise.
This wouldn't be the first time they stretched out a generation. I'm sure they only announced that Pokemon would be coming to the Switch because of the backlash that you mentioned. I'm guessing they will push USUM related content in 2018 and start to reveal new stuff later in the year.

Hero

None of them AAA/comparable in scope to Monster Hunter World and the vast majority of games PS4/Switch share are Vita games, or sequels to Vita games.

Remember when you doubted Switch would get the publisher support that Vita got?

Zedark

Wow at those BIC Camera numbers! Looks like we're not back to a 20k baseline, at least not yet. Seeing these numbers, it makes sense that they saved units from last week to support this week to the big heights it seems to be reaching. Maybe after we will see a higher baseline throughout September after all.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Switch third party support has seen a big turnaround since launch and will only keep getting better. A system that gives opportunities to make money won't be abandoned. I don't what why are still discussing for Japanese publishers.

Things are getting better though. At first it wasn't supposed to be a handheld, Japan would collapse and Nintendo would move 3DS handheld support to mobile. We are over that phase, little steps every time.

This wouldn't be the first time they stretched out a generation. I'm sure they only announced that Pokemon would be coming to the Switch because of the backlash that you mentioned. I'm guessing they will push USUM related content in 2018 and start to reveal new stuff later in the year.
They literally don't have any more new Pokémon to reveal. Considering there's only been a single year in the history of the franchise when they haven't revealed a new Pokémon (and that was only because they got ahead of themselves with Black and White), it's pretty nailed-on that they'll kick off the Gen VIII reveals next year- it's been over a decade since they revealed a new Pokémon more than a year before it was in an RPG.

They're very conspicuously not dragging out the generation; indeed, the anime recently rushed its way through a quarter of the games' storyline over the space of three or four weeks, and it's halfway through the Trials plot line after just over half a year. Obviously what USUM will bring to the generation is still up for grabs, but the fact that we've haven't seen so much as a single new character or town yet suggests to me that it won't be enough to drag out another year. Screams a last attempt to use the 3DS engine and to wring a few more pennies out of the install base to me.

Xbro

Nintendo's doing more for XX than Capcom.

It's honestly a good idea. They want Monster Hunter to stay on the system so they have to help it along. Though I guess Nintendo did a ton for Monster Hunter on the 3DS in the west(to a lot of payoff)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
They literally don't have any more new Pokémon to reveal. Considering there's only been a single year in the history of the franchise when they haven't revealed a new Pokémon (and that was only because they got ahead of themselves with Black and White), it's pretty nailed-on that they'll kick off the Gen VIII reveals next year- it's been over a decade since they revealed a new Pokémon more than a year before it was in an RPG.

They're very conspicuously not dragging out the generation; indeed, the anime recently rushed its way through a quarter of the games' storyline over the space of three or four weeks, and it's halfway through the Trials plot line after just over half a year. Obviously what USUM will bring to the generation is still up for grabs, but the fact that we've haven't seen so much as a single new character or town yet suggests to me that it won't be enough to drag out another year. Screams a last attempt to use the 3DS engine and to wring a few more pennies out of the install base to me.
We also have to take into consideration that its gonna take extra for GF to make a HD Pokemon game even with sun and moon basically being made to prepare them for it

Sandfox

I'm expecting them to focus on Necrozma and/or a new marketable Pokemon next year, but if it's coming in 2018 we don't have to wait much longer for a reveal. The anime still has a lot it hasn't touched on and even then they aren't restricted by the game if they wanted to do "filler".

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This makes me really interested in how much MH XX will sell.
It looks to be another of these games that gathered interest close to release.

According to sinobi preorders took a hit with Monster Hunter World announcement but retailer blogs talked for big rise of them this week. Increased Switch shipments after Splatoon 2 and as long as Nintendo continues with them will benefit some games more than others and MHXX is one of them.

MoonFrog

It's a lot like how the console -> handheld transition went, but with a few more restrictions.

When Japanese console games started moving toward handhelds, they had to take in a lot of considerations like more limited hardware power, smaller cartridge sizes, shorter play sessions, save anywhere, and a more limited control scheme. However, as time went on, the complexity in handheld games started going back up as progressively more of the console audience showed up on handhelds, while still making sure to keep these ideas in mind. These trends continued as the platforms got more powerful, designers got more used to making handheld games, and developers were willing to break some of the previously established rules due to evolving audience taste.

Traditional mobile logic stated you should have as short of a story as possible because players wanted to get into a game and start playing immediately. However, Fate/Grand Order is the #2 highest grossing game in Japan, and the game starts off with 24 minute cutscene with a 2 minute battle sequence shoved in. Many of the immediately following missions have a similar ratio of storyline to gameplay, and the plotline has over 1 million words. You will notice that the 20-25 minute mission length here is also pretty long for a mobile title. There are some shorter battle things you can do however if you have less time. You can see a video of this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khn5TjnKVEI

Similarly, The Idolmaster is a straight up rhythm game with console quality graphics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIXWYeRcxBw

Here is a video of Tales of the Rays. The actual battle system works a lot like a regular Tales game (you walk around levels and pick up loot, watch lengthy cutscenes, and the battle system is similar to the actual console games with the ability to walk around in battle, the four artes mapped to swiping in one of four direction, the basic attack is mapped to tapping the screen, and the supers to swiping up on the character portraits, and you can also switch party members mid battle). To note, the first 5 minutes and 20 seconds here are a regular Tales cutscene (which is a mix of portrait discussions and some in-game cutscenes), and then the gameplay starts: https://youtu.be/f8oXJVwBQu8 (After that first mission the video just focuses on the boss fights and cutscenes).

Moving to the game I referred to as Final Fantasy XII-lite, here is a video of Lost Order. You will notice it features lengthy, fully voiced cutscenes (you will notice the player is trying to skip through the voice acting for the sake for the video) presented similarly to a handheld title, and then a battle system where you design gambits for your party while using their special moves. Mind, this game doesn't have explorable levels or towns like are becoming more common in mobile. To note, there are battles with a lot more party members and enemies later in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhBAi_TTDo0
Thanks for elaborating. It is definitely a large blind spot in my ken.

And I've got a bit of an ideological axe to grind against GaaS so it's useful to consider how games might defy the structure and content I see it as forcing on them, so it's particularly useful to see how such games might defy my negative expectations. Useful for trying to maintain perspective and an open mind.

Does make me interested in what the future of mobile is and how far "consolification" goes. Do phones start playing (more often) the same games as consoles at the top flight? I'd imagine as that started happening, you'd see change towards fitting mobile on consoles too, to supplement the GaaS thrust already in that industry for its own reasons.

Delio

It looks to be another of these games that gathered interest close to release.

According to sinobi preorders took a hit with Monster Hunter World announcement but retailer blogs talked for big rise of them this week. Increased Switch shipments after Splatoon 2 and as long as Nintendo continues with them will benefit some games more than others and MHXX is one of them.

That's pretty good. When i heard it took a hit I was worried but it looks like it will be fine.

ggx2ac

This must be the first post Obon week that everything drops hard and one system explodes.

Yeah, that will be interesting. Was looking at the drops last year and it was rather funny seeing only one system managed to sell 20k+ while the rest plunged below 10k.

sinonobu

Banned
Not sure if this is an appropriate thread to post this but Yakuza Kiwami 2 seems to be in struggle for Asian or at least Korean localization.

One of the VAs of the game jokingly said "I hope we don't get nuked because there are some Chosen-jins on the stage tonight". For anyone who doesn't know what Chosen-jin means it's a derogatory term of how Japanese called Koreans during Japanese imperialism and still used by extreme Japanese right wing people.

So right now there are lots of Koreans demanding apology from the actor and Sega for saying such things at the official event. While in Japan (mostly 2ch) there are some who are complaining that there are Korean people associated with the game.

DKHF

PREDICTION LEAGUE SEPTEMBER 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Aug 28 to Sep 24):

[PS4] New Everybody's Golf (25 days) - 153,476
[PS4] Destiny 2 (19 days) - 130,398
[PS4] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (11 days) - 50,687
[3DS] Metroid: Samus Returns (10 days) - 29,913
[PS4] Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (4 days) - 41,431
[NSW] Pokken Tournament DX (3 days) - 75,671

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Yeah, that will be interesting. Was looking at the drops last year and it was rather funny seeing only one system managed to sell 20k+ while the rest plunged below 10k.
Now that I looked the numbers again hardware didn't drop as hard as I thought but it was already at low numbers during Obon. PS4 dived below 10k since the revision+price drop was coming in 2 weeks. Software was the one that took the really big hit.

This year it looks both PS4 and 3DS will be at 20k+ with Switch close to or over 100k.

[PS4] New Everybody's Golf (25 days) - 166.000
[PS4] Destiny 2 (19 days) - 66.001
[PS4] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (11 days) - 44.700
[3DS] Metroid: Samus Returns (10 days) - 35.000
[PS4] Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (4 days) - 26.000
[NSW] Pokken Tournament DX (3 days) - 67.000

If Gen VIII starts on Switch in 2018, that would mean Gen VII is the shortest generation of Pokémon games ever. Personally, I hope for some more spin-offs. That's always been a nice thing of Pokémon and while Gen VI was already a bit disappointing in terms of spin-offs, Gen VII can't even match that (there's only Magikarp Jump on mobile and Pokkén DX). I expect a Mystery Dungeon game on Switch before the start of the next generation, and hopefully they'll continue Detective Pikachu soon too... Although USUM doesn't look too interesting yet, in terms of spin-offs, it feels like Gen VII almost hasn't started :(

Edit:

Road to TGS.™

Fist of the North Star
Publisher/Developer: Sega/Yakuza Studios
Platform(s): PS4
Genre: Action
Release Window: 2018
Notes: This is the first non-Yakuza console game from Yakuza Studios since Binary Domain. This is also the first console Fist of the North Star game since Fist of the North Star Musou by Koei Tecmo. The game is supposed to be more like Yakuza in that it has various forms of gameplay beyond punching people.

Btw, the Fist of the North Star game by Yakuza Studio is a Yakuza spin-off. The name is Hokuto ga Gotoku, which is a portemonneau of Hokuto no Ken and Ryuu ga Gotoku. The names of both series are even featured in the game's logo.

noshten

If the shipment is close to 100K, 3DS will maintain it's lead of around 50K. It's just a question of what happens the week after this one. MHXX & Splatoon 2 benefiting from a larger stock was expected. A restock of 100K could push Splatoon 2 to 67% attach rate on M-C, while it could break 70% on Famitsu.
This should be the first week of many we see Splatoon 2 > DQXI.

If the baseline is 40-60K until SMO, than the Switch will have no problems remaining close to the 3DS which had a baseline of 57K in the 8 weeks following it's two major weeks post-pricedrop. With the SMO launch Switch will possibly take the lead again.

Weeks leading up to December 3DS had 100K baseline which is definitely something we could also expect Switch to match since those weeks would correlate with SMO launch and larger fall Switch shipments. The only thing that would hurt the baseline is Nintendo purposely keeping it at a lower level due to Pokemon Ultra S/M release while stockpiling for December.

I think that Switch going into December with >2.5 million sales is doable if we don't see the baseline fall under 40K in the weeks following MHXX launch leading into SMO launch.

December is a much tougher for Switch to match since we saw 1.6 million 3DS units sold. There is no major game announced and the only possible big title that we might see coming is DQXI. Still I don't think there is any doubt that after Obon supply, we should expect Switch to get at least 1 million in December.

How the next weeks shape up and August NPD will tell us if the bigger shipments we are seeing are a result of Japan getting prioritized for Splatoon 2/MHXX/Obon or whether there was actually a ramp up in production that is starting to come into effect. I'm positive after the summer vacation that we are seeing the result of slightly larger supply being concentrated to Japan and expecting at least 50K baseline from here on out.
Nintendo has shipped 1.5 million to Japan by the end of August, around 2 million to NA. Comments from Nintendo France about expecting 800K sales by the end of the year is leading me to believe we've only seen around 30-40% of the shipments expected until the end of the year(Nintendo France had sold 250K by the middle of June).

Mr Swine

Banned

[PS4] New Everybody's Golf (25 days) - 131.400
[PS4] Destiny 2 (19 days) - 126.000
[PS4] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (11 days) - 67.890
[3DS] Metroid: Samus Returns (10 days) - 16.800
[PS4] Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (4 days) - 56.000
[NSW] Pokken Tournament DX (3 days) - 69.300

Mory Dunz

they've been waiting for 20k again for a bit and seized the opportunity.
not to make barbs, but the reaction was weird considering the MH bundle has been known for a while so 20k wasn't even happening next week...

Anyone have a comgnet comparison for Pokken?
It seemed low to me so far.

The big releases throughout the year will keep doing decent this holiday on Switch, because they'll still be new titles for people who couldn't buy a Switch system earlier in the year.

I wonder how third-party games will do. In the west, I can see portable FIFA, Skyrim and Rocket League being decent to good sellers too, but I'm not so sure that the same can be said about Japan. Xenoblade 2 will be a holiday game, and maybe I'm underestimating the series right now, but I don't think that's gonna be a big system seller for Switch. It will have its share of course, but I don't think it'll sell multiple 100ks of copies before the end of the year tbh.

[PS4] New Everybody's Golf (25 days) - 90.000
[PS4] Destiny 2 (19 days) - 170.000
[PS4] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (11 days) - 100.000
[3DS] Metroid: Samus Returns (10 days) - 35.000
[PS4] Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (4 days) - 22.000
[NSW] Pokken Tournament DX (3 days) - 60.000

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The big releases throughout the year will keep doing decent this holiday on Switch, because they'll still be new titles for people who couldn't buy a Switch system earlier in the year.

I wonder how third-party games will do. In the west, I can see portable FIFA, Skyrim and Rocket League being decent to good sellers too, but I'm not so sure that the same can be said about Japan. Xenoblade 2 will be a holiday game, and maybe I'm underestimating the series right now, but I don't think that's gonna be a big system seller for Switch. It will have its share of course, but I don't think it'll sell multiple 100ks of copies before the end of the year tbh.

Xenoblade 2 isnt a 3rdParty release anyway.
There will be announcements regarding the Switch Holiday lineup in a bit. Fall conference is happening soon and MHXX is pretty much the last essential release of this summer period.

Xenoblade 2 isnt a 3rdParty release anyway.
There will be announcements regarding the Switch Holiday lineup in a bit. Fall conference is happening soon and MHXX is pretty much the last essential release of this summer period.

Yeah, Xenoblade isn't third-party. I moved on to the next subject without a line of white space. My bad.

And I'm sure we'll get more info soon too.

Fisico

Btw, the Fist of the North Star game by Yakuza Studio is a Yakuza spin-off. The name is Hokuto ga Gotoku, which is a portemonneau of Hokuto no Ken and Ryuu ga Gotoku. The names of both series are even featured in the game's logo.

I think you meant portmanteau :p

And yeah the full names are featured in the logo but the "Ryuu" and "no Ken" are a bit blurred.

So a big week coming up for the switch. Pretty good move by Nintendo and it looks like it's going to help MHXX have a better launch than expected. Hopefully that's why this week was lower than expected and we won't be going back to 20-25K level shipments this year.

Spiegel

Switch third party support has seen a big turnaround since launch and will only keep getting better. A system that gives opportunities to make money won't be abandoned. I don't what why are still discussing for Japanese publishers.

Agreed. Things will come naturally for Switch. It's a fantastic system that complements the PS4 nicely and it is a much better ecosystem for third parties than PS4/PSV.

Multiplatform PS4/Switch games can only mean good things for them and they know it. They are used to multiplatform development now.

People need to be patient.

The only one who should be watching this situation closely is Sony. They are out of the handheld market and if they ignore the Switch for too long they could start losing relevance with - japanese - third parties.

At least Nintendo did the best from its part to help MHXX.

They preferred to live Japan during Obon without stock in order to ship more next week.

large.gif

*Shrugs* Who knows, there's a whole bunch of Unreal Engine 4 games that look like they would be feasible on Switch but are skipping it.

Its because the initial production plans of these games didn't involve Switch. This will obviously change now, after Switch surprise success.

Oregano

Switch doesn't have the publisher support Vita got. There's a handful of good surprises like Gust getting on board but the vast majority of Vita developers/games have gone to PS4.

Its because the initial production plans of these games didn't involve Switch. This will obviously change now, after Switch surprise success.

That's gonna be hard when the new tech baseline is PS4. Koei Tecmo doesn't think Switch can run AOT2 despite the first one having a Vita version(that sold quite a bit too).

LordRaptor

If anyone was doubting their commitment, Koei Tecmo appears to be all in on the Switch. Basically every game they're making sans mobile titles and Dynasty Warriors 9 is on the platform, and they're even porting over some of their older titles.

There's an obvious joke about waiting years for a Musou game to show up on a Nintendo console, then 3 come along at once, but it was also noticable how musou heavy the launch announcement was with FE and DQ musou all there front and center.

Given this has historically been "a playstation genre" I'm curious to what extent hyrule warriors changed perceptions versus how incorrect assumptions were that those types of games wouldn't sell to "a nintendo audience" previously, presumably based on the sales of titles like Sengokumusou

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Switch doesn't have the publisher support Vita got. There's a handful of good surprises like Gust getting on board but the vast majority of Vita developers/games have gone to PS4.

That's gonna be hard when the new tech baseline is PS4. Koei Tecmo doesn't think Switch can run AOT2 despite the first one having a Vita version(that sold quite a bit too).
I mean the switch launched a few months ago not even the vita recieved the support it eventually attained that early on the psp was still kicking.

Your entire argument was based on flawed premise regardless as new consoles have generally received less content than their predecessors for obvious reasons.

Sandfox

You're jumping the gun with statements like that lol.

We're already seeing notable Vita supporters bringing games to the Switch and that will continue as the Vita is phased out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Sigh. Really? Still?

DrWong

[PS4] New Everybody's Golf (25 days) - 135K
[PS4] Destiny 2 (19 days) - 105K
[PS4] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (11 days) - 43K
[3DS] Metroid: Samus Returns (10 days) - 85K
[PS4] Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (4 days) - 60K
[NSW] Pokken Tournament DX (3 days) - 72K

Datschge

Do we have concrete plans for MHW DLC beyond the free ones that previous entries also got? Btw, all the monthly content packs in previous games were not very significant, they usually added collaboration equipment which no one used beyond their cosmetic value.

Few of the upgrades for equipment were locked behind these DLCs but nothing significant like additional story or whatever.
Afaik we don't have concrete plans yet. So far there's only a quote by producer Ryozo Tsujimoto that support will be the same as previous console entries (Famitsu via Siliconera).

I'm not expecting anything anymore with Capcom :p
I'm just saying it would have made more sense (it wouldn't make sense to release World Lite 9 months later even if they'll probably do that).
I don't expect MH to work well as a GaaS title, but they'll have to go there at some point anyway.
Agree on both points.
Regarding the first point MHW looks to ground up replace the experience of past MH entries so Capcom will get in trouble with players' expectations when they opt to scale down that experience again. This may actually be the real reason why MHXX for Switch is barely pushed and not localized.
As for it being a GaaS title I'll admit I was getting ahead of myself to assume this already being a given for MHW. But as you said considering its positioning as well as rather clean break with past games in the series while risking the existing fanbase they may as well go GaaS now rather than later.

I still don't see the issue on Switch, this would all work. Downporting shouldnt be a big issue either, it's not as if MHW is the most ambitious title ever. If a Switch version is coming it only makes sense to have a portable version of MHW.
MHW is the most ambitious changeover the MH series saw so far and for Capcom it's definitely a very ambitious project (if only because there's a lot at risk for business, not necessarily on a technical level). Business considerations likely have a bigger impact that technical ones.

L~A

Yeah, I meant that word hahah. English is not my native language.

Well, portmanteau isn't actually an English word, it's a French one, so you're all good ;)

The etymology of the word is the French porte-manteau, from porter, "to carry", and manteau, "cloak" (from Old French mantel, from Latin mantellum).[12] In modern French, a porte-manteau is a clothes valet, a coat-tree or similar article of furniture for hanging up jackets, hats, umbrellas and the like.[13][14][15] It has also been used, especially in Europe, as a formal description for coat racks from the French words porter (to carry) and manteau (cloak).

So, potentially big week for Switch, huh? Was expecting something closer to 50k than 100k, so pleasant surprise. Looking forward to official data.

Hero

You are a stubborn person, aren't you? Look into your crystal ball and tell me if you think by this time next year there's going to be more or less publishers releasing and announcing Switch games than Vita.

Top Bottom