• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2017 (Aug 14 - Aug 20)

jonno394

* XX is a quick re-master of the game that was released on another handheld machine couple of months ago.
* It is not even mainline game, just expansion.
* Capcom has annouced MH World on another console, the audience movement is now sporadic. Some might wait for the main game on PS4, some might have already bought the game on 3DS and can't be bothered. Some are still not sure about moving to Switch + Switch stock situation.

It's not hard to believe it will sell 80k.

Came to post something like this but you had me covered :)

Fiendcode

Yeah they had really low expectations for mh4 iirc. They are just cautious, no way the game doesn't beat them. And they will say that it exceeded expectations and stockholders will be happy.
There's low and them there's low.

Capcom targets:

3DS
Monster Hunter 3G: 1,200,000
Monster Hunter 4: 2,800,000
Monster Hunter 4G/Ultimate: 3,900,000
Monster Hunter X: 2,500,000
Monster Hunter XX: 2,000,000

Unconfirmed Capcom targets:

Switch
Monster Hunter XX: 300,000 to 500,000

PS4/XB1
Monster Hunter World: 1,500,000

They're (possibly) expecting World globally to barely outperform 3G in just Japan. Even Capcom (possibly) knows they're fucked.

* XX is a quick re-master of the game that was released on another handheld machine couple of months ago.
* It is not even mainline game, just expansion.
* Capcom has annouced MH World on another console, the audience movement is now sporadic. Some might wait for the main game on PS4, some might have already bought the game on 3DS and can't be bothered. Some are still not sure about moving to Switch + Switch stock situation.

It's not hard to believe it will sell 80k.
Correct. Not sure why people expecting it to do insane numbers when no up-rez'd MH port has ever done crazy numbers.

I was hoping for 250k LTD, which is pretty bullish.

Minsc

Gold Member
So is it correct to say that MHXX on Switch is the worst selling MH game ever? I can't imagine a MH did worse than the Wii U one posted on the last page, outside this current Switch one.

Mr Swine

Banned
Yikes if those numbers are true, don't think mHXX will do more than 200k. Guess Capcom made a smart choice going multiplat with MHW

Mory Dunz

So is it correct to say that MHXX on Switch is the worst selling MH game ever? I can't imagine a MH did worse than the Wii U one posted on the last page, outside this current Switch one.

well, we don't have an LTD....or even a FW yet

But frontier I guess?

Laplasakos

If you leave the Frontier games out (except the first one) and assuming the 80k number is real, then yes.

Fularu

Banned
Well MHF abd the village game on PSP did worse.

It can (and probably will) outsell MH3Ghd and MHP3HD when all is said and done

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Yikes if those numbers are true, don't think mHXX will do more than 200k. Guess Capcom made a smart choice going multiplat with MHW

Platform choice for MHW (the next mainline title) has little to do with their own awful marketing and little effort for this port

Fiendcode

These expectations aren't just "unconfirmed", they aren't from Capcom at all.

These are not Capcom's expectations... the thread was confusing in that part... it was an analyst's expectations.
That's still not entirely clear. The analyst firm gave these out after meeting with Capcom reps directly but it's still not confirmed if the targets originated from Capcom or not.

That said I think it's suspicious that Capcom didn't give out a sales target in July. Usually that means they expect under a million but I can't imagine that's the case for a project like MHW. We'll see if we get an update in October or worst January.

How much did 3G sell on WiiU? Was it's comparable to XX?

Portable 3rd HD is the best game to compare XX for Switch.
Neither is really a great comparison. Both were on non-supply constrained tv consoles, one at launch and the other 5 years in, and both were ports of MH games that sold better originally (by orders of magnitude in 3rd's case).

Y'all are killin' me.

You're acting like this game is a brand new AAA entry never before released ever and not just an up-rez'd port of a 3DS game that released in March.

lherre

Accurate
I agree, but I also believe that it is in Capcom's best interest in protecting their market. Let's say that that a better timing would have traded XX sales for ~50k in the Switch from the 3DS. That is 50k Switches playing MH afteschool instead of Splatoon or any other of the local LAN games that Nintendo is pushing on the system.

Even that would be a much better result because it would at least transition a part of their audience to the new platform.

Yeah, I don't deny this as it is important too but they have to move millions of fans not 100-200k. I mean a game as MHXX won't transition a lot of people at this point since it is very expensive (you have to buy a system to play it and if you are a MH fan mainly you already has a 3DS at this point) and the game is not a "main" entry.

Yeah it sounds crazy but that's what it is.

A vita ver. of MHXX wouldve sold three times that at least.

Well that's just my opinion, anyways if the 80k number is correct the thing we can say for sure is that they shipped 20k MH bundles max which is lame

These hot takes fuel me lmao.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If 80k is indeed the number then yeah that's a...mild? disappointment.

But here's the thing- anyone paying attention in this thread would have had the range at 80K-to 125K or something like that.

So its low..but the ceiling was so low in the first place how much is it really going to matter?

Capcom could have had at least slightly better domestic sales with a better strategy and some decent western sales. But they're not.

Kanann

Shin Yomawari is a really great game, hope it land well on another regions.

Anyway Yomawari 1 was 5500 yen Shin is 7500 yen, maybe that why it sold less.

ggx2ac

These hot takes fuel me lmao.

Hold on, I got one too.

Capcom's Q&A from last quarter.

Q: Following the sales results of Ultra Street Fighter II, what will Capcom's approach to the Nintendo Switch be going forward?

A: The Nintendo Switch seems to be doing very well, and we look forward to further growth in its install base. Beginning with Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) Nintendo Switch Ver. for Japan, we are evaluating how we will support this platform in the future.

LordKano

Yomawari sales, if 16k is the number combined, just shows how NIS really need to focus their strategy in building some longstanding IPs (that isn't called Disgaea) instead of just making a billion different bombas.

Laplasakos

What's so stupid about the first HD Monster Hunter and the only Monster Hunter announced at that time?

Both (3rd HD and XX HD) are ports released on different systems. That's all that matters. First HD and only MH announced announced don't matter at all. What matters is that XX for Switch seems like a proper HD port unlike the 3rd HD that only got a resolution bump. They even left the PSP icons untouched.

Also, it's not like MHW announcement didn't hurt the game but it's funny how most people think it's the main reason for people not buying XX for Switch. I guess FFX should bomb when Square announced FFXI and FFXII along with it.

Kyoufu

I don't know why some expected more from MHXX on Switch. A port of a game that came out in March and was not even received well by fans was never going to sell well.

Fiendcode

Both (3rd HD and XX HD) are ports released on different systems. That's all that matters. First HD and only MH announced announced don't matter at all. What matters is that XX for Switch seems like a proper HD port unlike the 3rd HD that only got a resolution bump. They even left the PSP icons untouched.

Also, it's not like MHW announcement didn't hurt the game but it's funny how most people think it's the main reason for people not buying XX for Switch. I guess FFX should bomb when Square announced FFXI and FFXII along with it.
Famitsu numbers.

MHP3: 4,835,761
MHP3 HD: 456,436

MH3G: 1,929,477
MH3G HD: 224,986

MHXX: 1,764,401
MHXX S: ???

Also FFX-XII were all PS2 games, XX and World are on different systems. It's not like MH4 hurt 3G sales, in fact it was quite the opposite.

LordKano

Y'all need to chill down and understand that these "tests" are meaningless, Capcom's support was going to happen as soon as the console exploded in sales, no matter how USF2, MHXXHD or RER1+2 would sell.

Yomawari sales, if 16k is the number combined, just shows how NIS really need to focus their strategy in building some longstanding IPs (that isn't called Disgaea) instead of just making a billion different bombas.

But Yomawari is their attempt at making an IP :p

They messed around with all these indie-esque games and the first Yomawari was by far and a way the best selling.

LordKano

But Yomawari is their attempt at making an IP :p

They messed around with all these indie-esque games and the first Yomawari was by far and a way the best selling.

It's not really the kind of game you can make an universe out of it to expand into multiple games. This sequel feels more like milking on those who liked the first one.

Fiendcode

I don't think this proves anything. In fact i won't be surprised if XX Switch manages to sell more than 3G HD in the end.
It's just showing all MH games aren't equal. Your insistence on comparing only 3rd HD with XX Switch is comparing ports of the best selling game in the series to the worst selling game in the series since then. That has an obvious impact.

D.Lo

Also FFX-XII were all PS2 games, XX and World are on different systems. It's not like MH4 hurt 3G sales, in fact it was quite the opposite.
Exactly. An enhanced port of a previous game in the series when the next main game is already announced for that system = prologue, a 'move here and get ready' game.

Basically a late direct port of a last game in the series (being an upgrade of a spinoff doesn't help either) to the only platform without the next main game in the series = dead end. Let's say in 2013 Monster Hunter Portable 4 was announced for Vita, but 3DS got a straight MHP3 port, how well would MHP3 3DS have sold then? It looks like a courtesy game, while the future is positioned elsewhere.

Yes we know Capcom will surely have something else for Switch eventually, but right now that is what the messaging says to MH fan Switch owners: 'Enjoy your scraps while we prepare a feast for everyone else'.

L~A

Media Create

Switch 69,654
PS4 20,433
New3DS LL 11,470
New2DS LL 11,173
PS4 Pro 4,225
Vita 4,080
2DS 2,137
New3DS 430
Wii U 117
PS3 83
Xbox One 63

MHXX: 84k
Neptunia: 15k
Yomawari: 16k (both versions at 8k)

Huh, for some reason, only Switch version of One Piece charted, 4.6k.

lherre

Accurate
Yes we know Capcom will surely have something else for Switch eventually, but right now that is what the messaging says to MH fan Switch owners: 'Enjoy your scraps while we prepare a feast for everyone else'.

I don't think there are many of this kind of users currently with the userbase that Switch has.

noshten

Those MHXX numbers, from potentially one of the biggest 3rd party games on the Switch this year to a sub 100K opening.

In other news Splatoon 2 passes 1 million on M-C and is ahead of DQXI for this week.

tolkir

Capcom

giphy.webp

boiled goose

good with gravy
Maybe the conclusion of the "test" is they can't half ass support.

If there's money to be made on Switch, it's up to Capcom to figure out how to tap into the growing userbase.

Switch will soon be the main portable platform in Japan. If Capcom chooses to ignore the platform it is at their own risk.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Media Create

Switch 69,654
PS4 20,433
New3DS LL 11,470
New2DS LL 11,173
PS4 Pro 4,225
Vita 4,080
2DS 2,137
New3DS 430
Wii U 117
PS3 83
Xbox One 63

MHXX: 84k
Neptunia: 15k
Yomawari: 16k (both versions at 8k)

Huh, for some reason, only Switch version of One Piece charted, 4.6k.
Nice switch

Top Bottom