• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2017 (Aug 14 - Aug 20)

AniHawk

It's a sequel, so that it's a bit lower than the first game is a possibility that the developers should have taken into consideration when they greenlit the project. I think that they wanted to avoid a lower opening by bringing the game to PS4 as well. Looks like that didn't help and the two platforms didn't expand the fanbase beyond those interested in the first game. It's a shame, because the first game was very lovely. Yomawari: Night Alone did a good job on Steam (24,300 owners according to SteamSpy) and hopefully had decent success in the west, which could justify development of this game for all platforms that it's coming out for.

Such a shame that NIS's recent efforts didn't pay off. Yomawari looked like a game that could turn into a small but nice series. Hopefully that's still the case... But after the flop Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 was and how games like Exile Election and Hakoniwa Company Works didn't work out, it doesn't look too good for the company. Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain did very well on Vita, but I doubt the PS4 version will add many sales to it in Japan. The dungeon RPG genre is very niche in the west and I'm not sure a PS4 version will save the day for this game if/when it gets localised.

Maybe the Switch can help out. NISA is bringing Penny-Punching Princess to the Switch in addition to Vita. I haven't seen any confirmation of the Switch version getting a Japanese release tbh. After the success of Disgaea 5 (mostly in the west), maybe a Switch port could help a couple of games expand their market. Hakoniwa Company Works is built in Unreal Engine 4, so that shouldn't be too much work to port to the Switch OS (hopefully the game can run decent on Switch hardware). I'd say Yomawari 1+2 would be worth the try too.

yomawari 1+2 would be a pretty good idea. maybe a release for next halloween. because of nisa's success on switch, i think you're going to see a pretty hard shift from them when it comes to nintendo support. it won't be abandoning playstation, but ps4 didn't turn out to be the ps2 successor a niche jrpg company would hope it'd be.

Perhaps I'm being a bit naive, but I would have figured a series as big as MH would sell better than 80k on a handheld system in Japan despite a lack of decent marketing. It's why I find that figure difficult to believe.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps I'm being a bit naive, but I would have figured a series as big as MH would sell better than 80k on a handheld system in Japan despite a lack of decent marketing. It's why I find that figure difficult to believe.

There are many explanations. One could be that, given the scarcity of the system and the announcement of World, current Switch owners have not abig overlap with the MonHun market. This is what people mean when talking about cultivating a market, and Capcom has done its best to diminish it on the Switch IMHO.

Zedark

It did - on 3ds. They signalled b after thought from beginning to end and as such it's not really expected to do anything decent - as we are seeing right now.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

You have to figure out also three things imho (that I was saying since many weeks, but still):

This is a HD port of a "G" expansion of a spinoff. It really is hard to see it as a relevant episode in the series

The "real" episode in the series has been announced as World, that will not be available on this platform (so for a MH fan there is little reason to buy it or the console for it), available on the market within few months, and only 1 year later the previous important episode (the XX 3DS version)

This very same game has already been purchased in a portable version by many people (more than 1.5 million people) on the 3DS few months ago, so the USP of this episode cannot be seen in its portability, but maybe in its better graphics/control (two aspects that have demonstrated to be way weaker when it comes to Japanese sales of the MH franchise, especially compared to the portability aspects)

So, the question after the release of the 3DS version alone months ago and after the announcement of World, should be: who is the target of this HD late port of a spinoff?

L~A

Blog always leaks Media Create data, and Media Create always includes bundle (with some rare exceptions) in Software sales, so if 80k is accurate and not the blog being purposefully misleading (like bundle selling 80k... but that'd be impossible), then MHXXS really did sell ~80k.

Only 2h until we find out anyway, so no use crying over yet-to-be-spilled-but-kinda-already-spilled-anyway milk.

I think people generally shy away from playing handhelds in public where I live, so 3DS isn't that common either, but has anyone living in Japan seen a switch in public? On the train?

The Hermit

So, the question after the release of the 3DS version alone months ago and after the announcement of World, should be: who is the target of this HD late port of a spinoff?

People who didn't had the XX version on the 3DS , like Western players.

Wait...

gconsole

* XX is a quick re-master of the game that was released on another handheld machine couple of months ago.
* It is not even mainline game, just expansion.
* Capcom has annouced MH World on another console, the audience movement is now sporadic. Some might wait for the main game on PS4, some might have already bought the game on 3DS and can't be bothered. Some are still not sure about moving to Switch + Switch stock situation.

It's not hard to believe it will sell 80k.

You have to figure out also three things imho (that I was saying since many weeks, but still):

This is a HD port of a "G" expansion of a spinoff. It really is hard to see it as a relevant episode in the series

The "real" episode in the series has been announced as World, that will not be available on this platform (so for a MH fan there is little reason to buy it or the console for it), available on the market within few months, and only 1 year later the previous important episode (the XX 3DS version)

This very same game has already been purchased in a portable version by many people (more than 1.5 million people) on the 3DS few months ago, so the USP of this episode cannot be seen in its portability, but maybe in its better graphics/control (two aspects that have demonstrated to be way weaker when it comes to Japanese sales of the MH franchise, especially compared to the portability aspects)

I mean, I get those points, and it makes sense for sales to be on the lower end, but for whatever reason I was expecting at least 150k. I'm just not sure it was the lack of decent marketing that led to these sales necessarily. I'm not saying it wouldn't contribute to the low sales, just that I can't imagine the impact would have been great.

LordKano

It would have, if it wasn't for the ton of Capcom's absurd decisions surrounding this release.

Yeah they had really low expectations for mh4 iirc. They are just cautious, no way the game doesn't beat them. And they will say that it exceeded expectations and stockholders will be happy.

In the past years most of Capcom games sales expectations had not been reached. MHW has some buzz right now in western media, but I don't believe it will even reach the Wii MH3 sales.

I thought that this would finish arounnd 250-300k with the reports last week. Should have stuck with my original prediction that it would bomb with under 200k ltd.

Garbage performance. What a genuinely bad launch.

Sayad

That remains to be seen. Capcom own sales expectations seems very low for an MH game.
Weren't they expecting MHW, MvCI and some re-releases to sell 10 millions world wide?! Wouldn't say that's very low, it's closer to overshooting actually if they have no other big release in the year!

test_account

XP-39C²
I think it was just due to the number of new releases that pushed it down and made it stick out, that said the 3DS has further to fall so its not surprising it would fall more.
I understand. Yeah, i can see that it would stick out more in that case. I just wanted to mention that both version had a big drop.

ethomaz

Banned
Do you guys expected higher numbers for a 3DS remaster on Switch?

Give a new mainline MH on Switch to get these dam sales... not that remaster.

I thought that this would finish arounnd 250-300k with the reports last week. Should have stuck with my original prediction that it would bomb with under 200k ltd.

Garbage performance. What a genuinely bad launch.
What reports? :lol

Oh it's sold out on Amazon!

Blame yourself for not being able to read anecdotal evidences correctly.

Weren't they expecting MHW, MvCI and some re-releases to sell 10 millions world wide?! Wouldn't say that's very low, it's closer to overshooting actually if they have no other big release in the year!

I read that Capcom expects MHW at 1.5 mio, that would be low for an MH game.

Nonetheless Capcom seems to overshooting sales of most games and I expect MHW sales to be around MH3 Wii sales.

lherre

Accurate
I don't know why the people say it would have done better at launch with a simultaneous release on Switch and 3DS. I mean the overall sales for the game.

I think it would be the same figure with less sales on 3DS and more on Switch. I don't think the overall numbers for the title will be better that the figures we have now if we add the Switch sales to 3DS because as you said before I don't believe the people (MH fans) will buy a Switch to play mainly this game for the reasons you cited (G version of a spinoff with not much incentive since the new things that add to 3DS version are meaningless and they already have a 3DS).

Basically the numbers we saw with DQXI that has been diluted in 2 platforms instead one.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why the people say it would have done better at launch with a simultaneous release on Switch and 3DS. I mean the overall sales for the game.

I think it would be the same figure with less sales on 3DS and more on Switch. I don't think the overall numbers for the title will be better that the figures we have now if we add the Switch sales to 3DS because as you said before I don't believe the people (MH fans) will buy a Switch to play mainly this game for the reasons you cited (G version of a spinoff with not much incentive since the new things that add to 3DS version are meaningless).

Basically the numbers we saw with DQXI that has been diluted in 2 platforms instead one.

I agree, but I also believe that it is in Capcom's best interest in protecting their market. Let's say that that a better timing would have traded XX sales for ~50k in the Switch from the 3DS. That is 50k Switches playing MH afteschool instead of Splatoon or any other of the local LAN games that Nintendo is pushing on the system.

Sandfox

I think it would be the same figure with less sales on 3DS and more on Switch. I don't think the overall numbers for the title will be better that the figures we have now if we add the Switch sales to 3DS because as you said before I don't believe the people (MH fans) will buy a Switch to play mainly this game for the reasons you cited (G version of a spinoff with not much incentive since the new things that add to 3DS version are meaningless and they already have a 3DS).

Even that would be a much better result because it would at least transition a part of their audience to the new platform.

ethomaz

Banned
I read that Capcom expects MHW at 1.5 mio, that would be low for an MH game.

Nonetheless Capcom seems to overshooting sales of most games and I expect MHW sales to be around MH3 Wii sales.
These are not Capcom's expectations... the thread was confusing in that part... it was an analyst's expectations.

yomawari 1+2 would be a pretty good idea. maybe a release for next halloween. because of nisa's success on switch, i think you're going to see a pretty hard shift from them when it comes to nintendo support. it won't be abandoning playstation, but ps4 didn't turn out to be the ps2 successor a niche jrpg company would hope it'd be.

I think the PS4/Switch combo would really help mostly because it's combining the PlayStation and Nintendo audiences, while PS4/Vita excludes the people who are focused on Nintendo systems. And of course third-party games do a lot less than first-party on Nintendo, but as a smaller company, I think it's still worth trying, because there are enough examples of companies with success on Nintendo systems.

Eolz

Yeah it sounds crazy but that's what it is.

A vita ver. of MHXX wouldve sold three times that at least.

Well that's just my opinion, anyways if the 80k number is correct the thing we can say for sure is that they shipped 20k MH bundles max which is lame

Ahahah what?
Going from the classic "people only buy nintendo games on nintendo platforms" to "a vita version would have sold a lot more" is something I haven't seen since a long while in those threads.

LordKano

Ahahah what?
Going from the classic "people only buy nintendo games on nintendo platforms" to "a vita version would have sold a lot more" is something I haven't seen since a long while in those threads.

I thought that was sarcasm but he edited to double down so I'm confused now.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Ahahah what?

It's 2012 all over again.

So if these numbers are true, what do we have Switch HW pinned at? 30-40k?

Top Bottom