• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2017 (Aug 14 - Aug 20)

KtSlime

All the ports are sold for 6800 yen each ? Like, what the fuck ?

This is their handheld price. I'm a bit surprised it's not 7800.

It makes sense to port the older games first. They have a much better chance at selling Sengoku Musou 8 if they release it before 9 rather than after. They probably believe they will get more sales that way.

Sandfox

The rumor Capcom thinks Monster Hunter is the new Mario and can support 2 parallel series on different systems.
I wouldn't be surprised either way.

When there will be actual efforts and not old ports we can agree about third party support being decent, I suppose
Or when companies will actually start announcing games

I mean, if we look at SE and KT we can agree that they have decent to good support, and exactly because of that today's games sounds weird (I am not here claiming disappointment about Yakima not being g developed for Switch, right?)

If we look at Level 5 we all can agree that they wasn't planning to pro actively support the Switch

If we look at NIS we can see how they are betting on the console

Then there is Capcom, and despite having g being attacked before, we can now agree how weird their Switch approach has been and still is imho

So we could even find a settlement about third parties today, if more people would simply agree about how bad the situation was before launch and has been so far in terms of announcement and not only releases

And that probably this is due primarily to the ni tends will to position the Switch as a Wii u successor only, initially, to keep the 3ds revenue stream alive not only in the eyes of the consumers but also of the developers
So everyone just needs to agree with you?

You made strange arguments about Capcom and certain other companies and got called out on it.

gtj1092

This is their handheld price. I'm a bit surprised it's not 7800.

It makes sense to port the older games first. They have a much better chance at selling Sengoku Musou 8 if they release it before 9 rather than after. They probably believe they will get more sales that way.

Is DW9 announced for switch? Don't see how this situation is much different from MHXX and MWH. Ports to switch and new game on ps4/x1. Only difference i see is that capcom didn't make a statement of support for switch like KT. And it wasn't too long ago KT was on the M-C shit list for releasing NiOH on ps4 and not giving DW a fair shot on Wii U.

Oregano

I thought these ports in particular bundled the DLC in?

Which is exactly what Omega Force did all generation with their late ports on Vita, stuff like Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires. And late ports on PS4 like Dynasty Warriors 8 XL and Toukiden Kiwami.

Not sure why they'd change their strategy up now specifically for Switch?

Ehh that's a fair enough point for Samurai Warriors, the other two are a different level though. Especially when Dynasty Warriors 9 is announced and Musou All Stars released earlier this year.

KtSlime

Is DW9 announced for switch? Don't see how this situation is much different from MHXX and MWH. Ports to switch and new game on ps4/x1. Only difference i see is that capcom didn't make a statement of support for switch like KT. And it wasn't too long ago KT was on the M-C shit list for releasing NiOH on ps4 and not giving DW a fair shot on Wii U.

I'm not sure of their plans, however, in the first year of the PS4, KT was its biggest supporter releasing 12 games. Switch's biggest supporter is also KT, and in the first 9 months they have 11 titles with release dates (I have excluded games without release dates but that have been announced).

There were 25 PS4 Japanese made games released on shelves in its first year 1 of which was 1st party. Through the first 9 months of the Switch there will be 34 Japanese made games, 6 of which are 1st party.

Make of that what you will.

*Dragon Quest Heroes is counted as SE, FE Warriors KT, based on publishing.
**Download only titles are excluded

Sandfox

Ehh that's a fair enough point for Samurai Warriors, the other two are a different level though. Especially when Dynasty Warriors 9 is announced and Musou All Stars released earlier this year.
These are ports coming out in ~2 months and we don't even know when DW9 is coming out.

But they're just quick-turnaround ports. It's obvious KT are all-in on Switch, they've got Gust and Omega Force working to port everything, these are probably just a starting point.

Besides, from what I've heard about Musou Stars it's not like you're missing out on much with that one anyway :p (and I'm sure it'll probably come at some point regardless; probably with a Fatal Frame character or something)

test_account

XP-39C²
Are we having the same discussion again? The way Capcom handled MHXX Switch was the worst possible one. And if what is rumored that is coming after Monster Hunter World is true the way they treat Monster Hunter franchise doesn't look better.
No, i dont think we have had this discussion with the same people before.

What do you think would be a better result of handling the port?

Not so sure that isn't happening, the hints from Tabata and subsequent discounting of the pocket edition for Switch suggests they are actually putting that on Switch.

By discounting you mean they made it clear it won't be the Pocket Edition that might be on Switch? Because I REALLY don't want it to be that version, it's so awful-looking. >_<

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Capcom actually made statement about Switch support
Re engine being work to become compatible with Switch and Switch being more included in their multiplatform pipeline

Those were shared in a similar period of KT sentences too, around FY investors meeting

Like pointed out above, Koei Tecmo is doing late ports for years now.
Also, you guys honestly have forgotten that KT is also releasing Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi on Switch simultaneous with PC and PS4 on November 30 in Japan, have you? They also ported Nights of Azure 2 over to the Switch for a Day 1 release with PS4/Vita. They don't deserve this much hate, guys.

Edit: the overall company does a good job in supporting Switch imo, but especially the Gust brand: Nights of Azure 2 and Atelier Liddy & Souer both on Day 1. I'm sure that if the Switch is technically capable enough to run one of their new games, they'll port it. DW9 is open world and looks pretty high-end, however, so I'm not surprised if that won't come to Switch.

gtj1092

Capcom actually made statement about Switch support
Re engine being work to become compatible with Switch and Switch being more included in their multiplatform pipeline

Those were shared in a similar period of KT sentences too, around FY investors meeting

Oh that's good then. Couldn't recall if they did. Know there support increased recently.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
He is probably mad that I don't care at all about his comments :)

About the specific topic, third party situation is still not set in stone and this is why many people, so often discuss it
Once found a common ground or settled a baseline, the discussion will dry up

At the end of the day, I brought it up about Capcom, I have been attacked, and then the discussion lasted some pages without any post by me. Now about those two today's games it seems others think in line with my post

So...

Here is the problem- you have a theory ("Switch 3rd party support sucks Switch is doomed!") and you won't leave that theory behind even when people present evidence that your theory is incorrect. You either ignore that evidence or change the goalposts.

Five months ago it was "Switch is doomed, its first party output is bad, where is the evidence that its the 3DS successor"

Two months ago it was "Switch is doomed, no 3rd parties are announcing games. Lol at you crazies saying wait for TGS"

Now Switch is getting 3rd party announcements (iirc like 9-10 in the past 2-3 weeks from Japanese pubs alone) and they either don't count or you focus on what isn't being announced for the platform.

In the meantime, when presented evidence repeatedly that Japanese 3rd parties were very slow to support the PS4 and are just usually slow in general, you just ignore the point and move on and decry the late ports, etc. etc.

I'll repeat a point I've made before- PS4 had a grand total of 14 Japanese 3rd party developed games launch on the system from launch until the end of the first year. Switch looks like it will easily double that.

KtSlime

Like pointed out above, Koei Tecmo is doing late ports for years now.
Also, you guys honestly have forgotten that KT is also releasing Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi on Switch simultaneous with PC and PS4 on November 30 in Japan, have you? They also ported Nights of Azure 2 over to the Switch for a Day 1 release with PS4/Vita. They don't deserve this much hate, guys.

Edit: the overall company does a good job in supporting Switch imo, but especially the Gust brand: Nights of Azure 2 and Atelier Liddy & Souer both on Day 1. I'm sure that if the Switch is technically capable enough to run one of their new games, they'll port it. DW9 is open world and looks pretty high-end, however, so I'm not surprised if that won't come to Switch.

Not sure if it will or won't, but few companies would be foolish enough to announce the sequel of a game for the platform before they get the sale. I mean, if I were running KT I don't think I would announce 9 for Switch until 8 for Switch is in my customer's hands, but that's just me.

I think KT has done a phenomenal job, it is amazing how prominent they have gotten since the merger. They might not have the biggest IPs, but the number of titles they release per year is a bit shocking.

schuelma: Only 14? I counted 24. Are you excluding up ports?

KT are basically the heroes of Switch. Let's review...

*rolls out mile long list*

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 (with SE)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 + Power-Up Kit
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi
Championship Jockey Special
Winning Post 2017 Special
Nights of Azure 2
Atelier Lydie & Soeur: The Alchemists of the Mysterious Painting
Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires
Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
Fire Emblem Warriors (with Nintendo)

GOD DAMN.

We really just need Ninja Gaiden, Toukiden, and Hyrule Warriors to basically cover the rest really. We could see Attack on Titan 2 (maybe with the 1st?). KT are sure full of surprises.

Datschge

No, i dont think we have had this discussion with the same people before.
Do you always have to restart discussions in a vacuum?

What do you think would be a better result of handling the port?
At the very least release it before it is superseded by an announcement of a superior version (they didn't announce the Switch version before the 3DS version was out, but announced MWH before the Switch version released).

Guymelef

Nights of Azure 2

GOD DAMN.

For how long? They have a good track record of bombas.

Tbh Aostia's analysis of the Switch is closer to how I see the situation than most others frankly. I think a lot of obvious things for the Switch are skipping the platform because of A) Japan's slow transition to new hardware and B) the more global focus of most publishers makes the Nintendo environment less relevant than the playstation and even arguably the Xbox environments.

I don't personally think the pledged Switch support thus far is impressive at all for a mid generation platform.

To refresh our collective mind, here's a list of all notable Japanese-developed third-party releases for PS4 in its first year (from February 22, 2014 to February 21, 2015). With 'notable', I mean they showed up in the Media Create top 20 in at least one week, regardless of position in the list.

Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (Koei Tecmo)
Ryuu ga Gotoku: Ishin (SEGA)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Konami)
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Square Enix)
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (Koei Tecmo)
Akiba's Trip 2 (Acquire)
Samurai Warriors 4 (Koei Tecmo)
Omega Quintet (Compile Heart)
The Evil Within / Psychobreak (Bethesda Softworks) (western publisher but Japanese studio)
Oneechanbara Z2: Chaos (D3 Publisher)
Winning Eleven 2015 (Konami)
Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires (Koei Tecmo)
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (Arc System Works)
Bladestorm: Nightmare (Koei Tecmo)
Dragon Ball Xenoverse (Bandai Namco)
Samurai Warriors 4-II (Koei Tecmo)
God Eater 2: Rage Burst (Bandai Namco)
Dead or Alive 5: Last Round (Koei Tecmo)

18 games in total. 7 of which are published by Koei Tecmo btw.
Total sales numbers = 605,393.

-----

To compare with the first 5 months of the Switch:

Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch (Square Enix)
Puyo Puyo Tetris S (SEGA)
Super Bomberman R (Konami)
Minna de Waiwai! Spelunker (Square Enix)
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Capcom)
Seiken Densetsu Collection (Square Enix)
Fate/extella: The Umbral Star (Marvelous)

Total sales number = 212,318.

Most sales come from the second half of the year, obviously, since developers have had more time to work on games, and mostly because the install base has grown. It'll be interesting to see how third-parties will do on Switch this Fall (and early next year ofc).

Tbh Aostia's analysis of the Switch is closer to how I see the situation than most others frankly. I think a lot of obvious things for the Switch are skipping the platform because of A) Japan's slow transition to new hardware and B) the more global focus of most publishers makes the Nintendo environment less relevant than the playstation and even arguably the Xbox environments.

I don't personally think the pledged Switch support thus far is impressive at all for a mid generation platform.

What does this mean? Global focus in terms of gameplay development? In terms of developing on platforms with greater global sales?

test_account

XP-39C²
Do you always have to restart discussions in a vacuum?
What do you mean? When theres a lot of different people involved, its not unusual that similar or the same discussion occurs from time to time (also sometimes between the same parties as well). I havnt quoted the guy i asked in the begining before, so this is the first time i've asked him/her. When Chris asked if we have had the same discussion before, i replied regarding this, no, i've not had that discussion with him/her before.

At the very least release it before it is superseded by an announcement of a superior version (they didn't announce the Switch version before the 3DS version was out, but announced MWH before the Switch version released).
How much do you think it would have sold if they had done this instead?

How much are the KT ports expected to sell? 10k each?

What is actually expected for a mid generation platform?

Developnent pipelines are nore mature and the technology of the current generation is better understood. So the main hinderance to new platforms isn't pushing out titles but rather tool integration and porting. Mid generation systems should see ports of the current tech set sooner and enjoy multiplatform development with the current system relatively quickly.

That's my opinion of it anyway. Obviously up for debate.

What does this mean? Global focus in terms of gameplay development? In terms of developing on platforms with greater global sales?

Global focus in terms of integrating the West into sales projections. For example, many more PC releases for Japanese produced games. Quicker localizations. Better marketing and such.

I think Switch will evwntually get a solid bulk of support from Japan. But I do think that the current set of announced titles don't show the system has great support. I actually think the West with indies included have far better support than what Japan has pledged thus far. The biggest third party game on Switch (untill MH launches) is Bomberman (will be surpassed by Minecraft eventually). That's genuinely bad.

How much do you think it would have sold if they had done this instead?

The Switch had an install base of 0 and everyone was hyping about Zelda. Everyone who wanted to play MHXX bought it on 3DS anyway, so I think it isn't bad of Capcom not to release MHXX on Switch at launch.

The release timing is very unfortunate tho with the announcement of MHW. I don't know what Capcom's plans are for Fall 2018, but I think an announcement at TGS or PSX with the full marketing blowing starting at E3 2018 and a release in Fall 2018 would've been a better option. And then keep the MHXX Switch release date on today.

Nights of Azure 2

GOD DAMN.

We really just need Ninja Gaiden, Toukiden, and Hyrule Warriors to basically cover the rest really. We could see Attack on Titan 2 (maybe with the 1st?). KT are sure full of surprises.

Yeah no way people should be putting KT in the Same boat as Capcom Level 5 Atlus and Namco Bandai

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yeah no way people should be putting KT in the Same boat as Capcom Level 5 Atlus and Namco Bandai

I think Namco Bandai support will get better, especially if you believe their latest IR report. Capcom and Level 5 are the big questions IMO, especially given their 3DS support.

I think Namco Bandai support will get better, especially if you believe their latest IR report. Capcom and Level 5 are the big questions IMO, especially given their 3DS support.

I guess if they don't deliver... *puts on sunglasses* then you could say they were spouting Tales of Their Asses.

YYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

KtSlime

Level 5 is lost at sea, however Bandai Namco released Xeno and God Eater 2 *%*$& in the PS4's first year, and for Switch OP R and soon Xeno 2, so they are at least on pace, and Capcom released squat for PS4 in its first year, and USF2 and MHXX on Switch. Don't get wrong, I'm still disappointed in Capcom, but no-one should think that PS4 had better support from Japanese 3rd parties in its first year than Switch does.

L~A

I'm not sure Level-5 is that big a question tbh. Unless that question is "when will they show up?".

I'm not sure Level-5 is that big a question tbh. Unless that question is "when will they show up?".

Never ceases to baffle me that L5 are still completely absent on Switch. Not even with a Lady Layton port, following the 3DS' launch that came with a Layton game. Should've been an easy one since it's on mobile with HD assets, no?

LordKano

Never ceases to baffle me that L5 are still completely absent on Switch. Not even with a Lady Layton port, following the 3DS' launch that came with a Layton game. Should've been an easy one since it's on mobile with HD assets, no?

They recently said that they're looking into it.

Fdkn

Why do you always single out 'Japanese games' as the metric for 3rd party support?

Those raw list of games announced/released are plagued with a bunch of games that barely sell 20-50k units but hey, they are Japanese, while they exclude way bigger games like CoD, GTA, Destiny, EA&Ubi games, etc.

The question is rhetoric, by the way.

The original rumour which has actually been entirely correct so far. Even with Capcom's rumoured low expectations of MHW. Only question mark was the world/5 designation.

The original rumour was wrong in basically everything and we've gone through it a dozen times already in these threads.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
We have known for months that the only big and important dates regarding japanese Switch 3rdParty support would be the January unveiling event as well as Nintendo fall conference/Direct around TGS. Yet we keep having the same discussions....reminds me of the "where are the Nintendo 3DS games" threads that pop up every year 3-4 weeks before e3.

We will know more soon. Hino, Platinum Games, hell even FFXV team is teasing shit....soon.

ksamedi

Final Fantasy 15 hints for Switch is a good sign that Japanese developers will try to figure out how to make scalable engines between Switch and PS4. Its not an easy task but heres the thing, A Switch/PS4 multiplatform strategy is easier to achieve then a 3DS/PS4 strategy. Switch will be the dominant platform in Japan and it could mean sales growth for a lot of the franchises that slowed down a lot in Japan while on the other hand also fits perfectly well with the western focus. The Switch is a real opportunity for Japanese devs to have more sales from their more western heavy IP. In a hypotethical scenario where FF15 released on both Switch and PS4, it would probably end up doing much better and closer to previous levels of the series.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why do you always single out 'Japanese games' as the metric for 3rd party support?

Those raw list of games announced/released are plagued with a bunch of games that barely sell 20-50k units but hey, they are Japanese, while they exclude way bigger games like CoD, GTA, Destiny, EA&Ubi games, etc.

The question is rhetoric, by the way.

The original rumour was wrong in basically everything and we've gone through it a dozen times already in these threads.
No it wasn't it predicted xx switch version and MHX. That's not the easiest combination of games to predict regardless of how you look at it.

Rncewind

We have known for months that the only big and important dates regarding japanese Switch 3rdParty support would be the January unveiling event as well as Nintendo fall conference/Direct around TGS. Yet we keep having the same discussions....reminds me of the "where are the Nintendo 3DS games" threads that pop up every year 3-4 weeks before e3.

We will know more soon. Hino, Platinum Games, hell even FFXV team is teasing shit....soon.

Are we expecting Nintendo direct after TGS?

Top Bottom