• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2013 (Aug 19 - Aug 25)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm not too concerned over the savage hardware dips, thats the holiday effect where if anyone was going to purchase a console or whatever they'd have done then, hence the bumps, and thus lowered sales this week. It evens out.

Time travel hypothetical time!
Pre-Sega deal, who would have done Platinum the best deal for a healthy future?

I think the candidates for me are:
- Bandai Namco because they really got their shit in order and made a go of some things, but then theres that good old Scamco DLC effect they coulda brought to Platinum stuff. They've also only just cottoned on to needing to be on PC, but still, better than most Japanese.
-Warner because they got Grasshopper'd so if they wanted real talent and quality, they shoulda gone with the actual action game guys.
-Sony, as the de facto 'home console' in Japan really and some added marketing push, but then you sacrifice multi-platform which is key at this point. But then, Vita Platinum games!

Its just pretty surreal really to see something like Dragon's Crown earn big numbers while a Nintendo promoted Ex-Capcom All Star game achieves Visual Novel level sales.

Same with stuff like Toukiden and Soul Sacrifice. Platinum Hunting game would certainly be something! Itsuno did apply DMC basics to Dragon's Dogma after all, so it'd be interesting to see what Kamiya and co could bring to the formula. Competent online would be a big important thing though, and Anarchy Reigns had a bit too much jank behind the jollies for my liking.

Wait a second.
These sales cover everything sold from August 19th-25th. TW101 came out August 24th. So this only covers one day of sales right?

Two days, but I just don't see much recovery for W101 in the near future.
Everything will get buried by Jojos next week.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Bandai Namco would force Platinum to make anime games ... I'm okay with that.

The Treasure model of anime games for sustenance, they occasional new IP for creative flexing.

Interestingly I feel, Treasure is another company thats fallen foul of jumping into bed with the absolute worst companies to improve their standings. I think its almost a running gag now with N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube etc. Only the GBA stuff was an era of good times seemingly for them with them experiencing the "Wii owners dont want hardcore games!" effect and then also tying their dicks to the XBLA train in the years it began seriously waning while avoiding Playstation platforms as if they had the plague.

I'm interested in seeing if Capcom will push Gaist Crusher, and perhaps Nintendo too (Christmas release should be just out of Pokemon and MonHun slipstream?). Theres a really rapid and dangerous stigma building that will have most Japanese third parties dodging ALL Nintendo hardware unless its something like Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter 'it sells the platform' tier.

Kid Ying

Wonder if Japan will follow suit even though I believe the price was a bit more competitive compared to the West.
Yeah, now the west actually caught up with the japanese price, but maybe, since the basic was cancelled everywhere, noj will try and make the same thing, pricedropping the deluxe to their basic level in japan.

Frodo

It is so sad to realise that gaming is probably not (made) for you any more. That something may be wrong with me, instead of something may be wrong with gaming.

:(

Thanks, Platinum Games. Thanks Kamiya. Thanks Nintendo. I'm glad I had the pleasure to play TW101. It was all worth it.

Takao

Banned
I'm interested in seeing if Capcom will push Gaist Crusher, and perhaps Nintendo too (Christmas release should be just out of Pokemon and MonHun slipstream?). Theres a really rapid and dangerous stigma building that will have most Japanese third parties dodging ALL Nintendo hardware unless its something like Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter 'it sells the platform' tier.

Why would Nintendo push Gaist Crusher in Japan? It's not Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter and they don't seem to help Level-5.

L Thammy

All charts launch-aligned. All data from Famitsu.
Weekly numbers presented in logarithmic base 1,000 for clarity. In that case, zero units are represented by one unit.

LfuShXE.png

hBx2PmO.png

egXp16t.png

zUCWwHV.png

Note, since this draws only from the top 30 it does not represent smaller titles.
e.g., software sales of zero are assumed if the console has no games in the top 30.

TJd95Ay.png

Tally of the number of titles for that platform in the top 30 for each week.
Certain weeks may have titles that aren't represented. These are the PS3's 7th and 25th, and the Wii's 4th and 23rd.

Feel free to criticize or point out mistakes.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Theres a really rapid and dangerous stigma building that will have most Japanese third parties dodging ALL Nintendo hardware unless its something like Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter 'it sells the platform' tier.

What am I missing here? Are you trying to argue that Wii U's software failure somehow impacts 3DS? Or are you arguing that 3rd party software doesn't sell on 3DS unless it's a mega franchise?

OryoN

ask Nintendo.

He got his money.

Not everything is about the money, man. When you put your heart and soul into a game - and I have no doubt that's the case here, and it shows - you want as many people as possible to experience and appreciated it.

This is all kinds of pathetic, beyond just sales.

- Nintendo's reluctance to fully give this unique new game the push it needed make a bigger impact. (well, kudos for funding it, at least)
- Japanese Nintendo fans'(or the Japan's gaming public in general?) apprehension toward any too eccentric. Needs more up-skirts, I guess.

I'm extremely disappointed in Nintendo and their fan-base right now. Makes me almost regret ordering a Wii U just days ago... to be part of such a lame-ass base. On the other hand, I'm glad that I now have the chance to support this game. This is why I game, so it's my honor and pleasure.

NOA better do a decent job with this, and U.S Nintendo base better show a decent response. *rage*

prwxv3

I don't understand why Nintendo allowed such a large budget for this game but they did jack shit to promote it. I am now worried they are going to do jack shit to promote Bayonetta 2.

L Thammy

It is so sad to realise that gaming is probably not (made) for you any more. That something may be wrong with me, instead of something may be wrong with gaming.

:(

Thanks, Platinum Games. Thanks Kamiya. Thanks Nintendo. I'm glad I had the pleasure to play TW101. It was all worth it.

Most of Media Create's regulars are or were fans of Japanese games, presumably. I wonder if most have been disappointed over past few years by where the industry, their favourite companies, and their favourite franchises are going (or not going).

I don't understand why Nintendo allowed such a large budget for this game but they did jack shit to promote it. I am now worried they are going to do jack shit to promote Bayonetta 2.

Lack of foresight. They obviously didn't realize how bad the Wii U platform was going to be at this point, and they had assumed that they could treat it like a normal franchise. When the time finally came for this to release, they weren't willing to take the risk.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Those are pretty miserable sales for Wonderful 101 =(. I thought it'd get close to 10k at least.... Even Pikmin 3 outsold it almost 2 months after it's released there.

Pjsprojects

Did Nintendo actually market the game outside of directs?

Mega-bomba.

In the England yes, we had lots of TV adverts on the kids channels for 101 and the WiiU, so i guess it did not work.

Every time a so called top game comes out every Ninty lover says how it will get the WiiU on track, sorry but it's not working.

Yes i bought a WiiU back in Feb & it was a waste of money.

Oersted

In the England yes, we had lots of TV adverts on the kids channels for 101 and the WiiU, so i guess it did not work.

Every time a so called top game comes out every Ninty lover says how it will get the WiiU on track, sorry but it's not working.

Yes i bought a WiiU back in Feb & it was a waste of money.

You are in a Media Create thread talking about sales of a game in England, which will be released there in two days.

hongcha

HW drops across the board (pretty big Vita drop), but I find the Wii U drop to 7k in the week 101 was released to be more surprising than the low 101 sales. What is Wii U hardware going to be next week, 4~5k?

Mario007

Well there won't be any pricedrops anytime soon so yes software has to do the work. The problem is the best they can do is get ports with ps3/3DS/psp. As long as vita continues to be a port system with no big exclusives it will sell 10k a week with bumps. It will be interesting to see how it does this holiday with the god eater/ffxhd as the big games
Yeah, but as you mentioned the two games are actually ports/multiplatform releases which will once again hurt Vita. I think they'll definitely have a better holiday than last year only because it can't get much worse than last year, but they do need to grab that one 500k LTD exclusive at least and it has to actually sell those 500k LTD or rather more to get others to invest in the platform. The problem is that none of those big franchises will make their way to Vita due to the changed market and publisher philosophy (I'm talking KH, FF, MGS, RE etc). Sony's best bet is Yakuza and GT.

Sorry for insulting you but it seem highly unrealistic for a company like Nintendo to cancel a game that they've already spent this much time and money in just because a new IP flopped.

You would think it's highly unrealistic, but there have actually been multiple, recent examples of companies abruptly cancelling games that are more than halfway through production.

boingball

These are some depressing numbers.
I think most people expected that W101 would bomb, but I don't think many thought it would be that low. It bombed so hard, it lowered Wii Us back into the single digits.
Vita sales are also depressing, had hoped it would stay above 15k for the time being.

Myshkin

Could it be because it's the end of summer and kids are going back to school? Or something?

:/

Good point. I've seen a lot of dragonflies lately. So end of summer might be nearing.

I thought someone mentioned that they saw W101 adverts on trains.

Apparently Nintendo does a ton of advertising overall in Japan, but just can't get motivated to advertise a console. Maybe a lot of cross-advertising with the portables would be more palatable to them.

Anyone taking guesses on w101 Digital Sales?

Here's a wild guess formulated on incomplete and faulty logic:

1) Media Create TW101 sales were 5,258 for the first week.
Famitsu TW101 sales were 6,663.

2) Let's suppose ~50% (made-up figure based on zero historical trends) of TW101's digital sales come from download cards.

3) Famitsu includes download cards, unlike Media Create. The difference between Famitsu and Media Create's numbers is 1,405 units. I'm assuming (faulty logic due to different tracker algorithms) that's how many download cards have been sold, for the sake of this exercise.

4) If we double that, we get 2,810 total digital sales (download cards + eShop), so that would be my wild guess. Considering TW101 sold to a niche fanbase, I figure that could account for a proportionally higher percentage of digital sales than the usual digital-to-retail ratio.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
What the fuck, Japan? I believed in you!

v1rVs.gif

Not like it's gonna do any better in EU or NA either. Heart breaking to see.

iidesuyo

People keep talking about how Mario Kart etc. are going to save the console, but by now I don't believe it anymore. Wii U is a lost cause in its current form.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Are you sure? It seems that it isn't a game of Japanese tastes after all

Compare top sellers for the different regions. JP always has quirky and a variety of titles that chart. 80% of NA charts consist of shooters, sports games, and the occasional Nintendo hit.

Compare top sellers for the different regions. JP always has quirky and a variety of titles that chart. 80% of NA charts consist of shooters, sports games, and the occasional Nintendo hit.

I think its not much different, just we only really see the top 10 for US and top 5 for most everywhere else. You could make a counter claim like your US statement and argue pretty easily that JP charts are 80% nintendo games and hunting games with the occasional rpg

UK is the only other charts we see alot of and plenty of random stuff turns up even though uk probably fits your offhand comment of shooters/sports even more than the US does.

I see german top 100s linked now and then and that market seems to be the most diverse by far because of all the random PC stuff that charts along side console and handheld stuff.

By the way W101 charted at #14 in the UK, same chart position as the much superior japanese market

Wonderful 101 should have come out in Jan or Feb, before the shine completely wore off the Wii U. Too bad.

Do new IPs ever sell on dead consoles?

Call me crazy, but the Vita in Japan is an evergreen title or two away from being a real success story in Japan. I am not sure what that game will be or if it will ever get it, but it is primed for it for sure. The install base is nearly 2 million in Japan and they are an active buying group, that has proven time and time again to defy expectations. Maybe Freedom Wars could become that title. When is it's release date?
I think eventually enough people will give up their PSPs and make the switch. That has been the problem for Vita in Japan.

goomba

Banned
perhaps wonderful 101 should have stuck with nintendo characters as originally planned, though personally I'm glad they didn't

cafemomo

Call me crazy, but the Vita in Japan is an evergreen title or two away from being a real success story in Japan. I am not sure what that game will be or if it will ever get it, but it is primed for it for sure. The install base is nearly 2 million in Japan and they are an active buying group, that has proven time and time again to defy expectations. Maybe Freedom Wars could become that title. When is it's release date?

You are not crazy. and FFX will be that title.

you all make fun of me, but just you all wait and see, vitas will be selling like hotcakes soon

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
L Thammy said:
All charts launch-aligned.
So Vita SW was outselling PS3 for 1st year and that's without factoring in digital sales which were more or less nothing on PS3 during that time. It's a pity we'll probably never know the real attach rate for digitally enabled hw - it would be interesting to compare how much things have changed since PSP which was well within the traditional "handhelds = low-attach rate" bracket.

TasTokyo

Did Nintendo actually market the game outside of directs?

Mega-bomba.

I've seen a few people asking this.

In Japan it had at least a fair marketing push. There were posters and tv ads running on the train, ads in some magazines etc. I don't watch much tv so can't comment on that but I suspect there were at least some commercials on tv since they made them for the train tvs.

I've seen a few people asking this.

In Japan it had at least a fair marketing push. There were posters and tv ads running on the train, ads in some magazines etc. I don't watch much tv so can't comment on that but I suspect there were at least some commercials on tv since they made them for the train tvs.

People really need to stop blaming marketing every time things go wrong for Nintendo.

L Thammy

So Vita SW was outselling PS3 for 1st year and that's without factoring in digital sales which were more or less nothing on PS3 during that time. It's a pity we'll probably never know the real attach rate for digitally enabled hw - it would be interesting to compare how much things have changed since PSP which was well within the traditional "handhelds = low-attach rate" bracket.

I think that were more releases on Vita in its first than than PS3 in its first. There was a lot things launching on the Vita below 10K.

People really need to stop blaming marketing every time things go wrong for Nintendo.

I don't think many people thought that the marketing didn't exist, StreetAhead even posted the commercials. However, how does it compare to other titles of the same scale? Considering the confusing nature of the game, should it not have more marketing than most titles?

Of course, that isn't the only problem, Wii U as a whole is a mess. But I don't think marketing simply being present means that it was handled correctly.

Top Bottom