• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2015 (Aug 24 - Aug 30)

Fularu

Banned
I still think FFVII Remake will be the best selling home console game this gen. True, brand strenght of FF has suffered during the years but I think if affects more to XVs sales potential than VII Remakes. We are talking about the best selling FF game of all time that is getting completely remade and not just some remaster treatment. It will sell to current FF fanbase and to the older players looking for nostalgia trip. Of course we have to see how it actually looks and plays and will it be developed in time (unlike XV) but if they go with U4 (like rumoured) and knowing that some stuff like plot, characters etc. already exists I actually believe that it will not end in development hell. We are still talking about probably 2018 at earliest for release though so we shall see.
None of the remakes for past SE games have sold more than 1.5 million units on the DS. I don't see a FF7 remake having that pull, let alone on a system like the PS4. MK8 and splatoon will both outsell it significantly

saichi

Of course, I simply mentioned it as it was the last title left that, at some point, may or may not have been a topic of discussion with regards to "best selling console title of the year".

You missed the Persona 5 discussion? ;)

None of the remakes for past SE games have sold more than 1.5 million units on the DS. I don't see a FF7 remake having that pull, let alone on a system like the PS4. MK8 and splatoon will both outsell it significantly

None of those other games are FFVII and none of the other remakes were as different as FFVIIR going to be compare to it's original version .
Looking forward to see the effect of MGSV .

Vena

Just for some plotted comparisons with regards to Splatoon, orange is a moving average on "normal weeks" and as of so far that number was ~24k, and the blue is just low-balling 15k every week for the rest of the year:

APz776J.png

Obviously I have no accounted for holidays, and this is Retail Only.

Jamix012

None of those other games are FFVII and none of the other remake were as different as FFVII going to be compare to it's original version .

FF7 is much bigger than any other FF in the west, but in Japan? It's still probably the BIGGEST of the series, but not significantly moreso than FF6, for example. The original FF7 sold 3~ Million wheras the original FF6 sold 2.5~ Million.

VII was way more popular than SNES/NES era FF games and it's remade from PS1 era presentation to PS4 instead of just jumping from NES/SNES to DS. Square and especially Sony are also probably putting way more money to the marketing of the title when it releases compared to previous remakes.

Jamix012

VII was way more popular than SNES/NES era FF games and it's remade from PS1 era presentation to PS4 instead of just jumping from NES/SNES to DS. Square and especially Sony are also probably putting way more money to the marketing of the title when it releases.

"way more popular" this is japan. It went from a 2.5 Million to a 3 Million selling series. A jump for sure, but "way more popular" is a stretch.

Jamix012

Well I guess we will see in time (If we both still use GAF when this thing releases lol). Maybe I am just blinded by the western hype of the VII Remake.

I'm not implying FF7R will do badly, but I think there's a lot of questions out there about it regarding how much is going to be different and whether it'll encourage or discourage people to jump in. I'm sure Japan is very hyped for FF7R but 1 million is a tall order of any game on a console in this climate.

beril

None of those other games are FFVII and none of the other remakes were as different as FFVIIR going to be compare to it's original version .

I'm really not sure that's a good thing. With Testuya Nomura in charge, promising actiony gameplay and taking inspiration from the shitfest that is Advent Children, I can't be the only one with 0 confidence in the project.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Nintendo need a good strategy for Mobile. I'm eagerly waiting to see what they put forward. (Outside of Pokemon)

I'm not implying FF7R will do badly, but I think there's a lot of questions out there about it regarding how much is going to be different and whether it'll encourage or discourage people to jump in. I'm sure Japan is very hyped for FF7R but 1 million is a tall order of any game on a console in this climate.

How big was the user base of PS3 when FFXIII did a million .
I know things change but is PS4 not going to hit those numbers during the same time frame.

sphinx

the piano man
I'm wondering Nintendo collaboration with DeNA really helps or not..

speaking about nintendo and the future,do you guys think is it safe to say we'll see big changes in the direction of the company now that Satoru Iwata passed away?

if yes, I wonder when will these changes take place and in what form. I guess all we can do for now is speculate

DrWong

Just for some plotted comparisons with regards to Splatoon, orange is a moving average on "normal weeks" and as of so far that number was ~24k, and the blue is just low-balling 15k every week for the rest of the year:

APz776J.png

Obviously I have no accounted for holidays, and this is Retail Only.

Nononono! Not Extreme enough :]

Fularu

Banned
DQ 7 is the best selling PlayStation game and did about 1.3 million on the 3DS and the ps4 will be tremendously lucky to reach a third of its lifetime sales.

I really don't think there are more than a million people who want to replay FF7 remade

Well I am not saying it will do as well as the original release but personally I see it having potential to do something like 1.5 million which depending on Splatoon legs could make it best selling home console game this gen. But maybe you will be right.

DQ 7 is the best selling PlayStation game and did about 1.3 million on the 3DS and the ps4 will be tremendously lucky to reach a third of its lifetime sales.

I really don't think there are more than a million people who want to replay FF7 remade
FFVII actually sold slightly more than DQVII on PS1. I just have to correct stuff like this. ;)

Scum

speaking about nintendo and the future,do you guys think is it safe to say we'll see big changes in the direction of the company now that Satoru Iwata passed away?

if yes, I wonder when will these changes take place and in what form. I guess all we can do for now is speculate
The one big thing is whether the protection employees had with Yamauchi and Iwata sticks around...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It will be hard to tell since Nintendo already made gigantic strategic changes over the last three years, so which future ones were already in place versus which are being done by the new CEO will be an open question for a year or two.

Fularu

Banned
Well I am not saying it will do as well as the original release but personally I see it having potential to do something like 1.5 million which depending on Splatoon legs could make it best selling home console game this gen. But maybe you will be right.

FFVII actually sold slightly more than DQVII on PS1. I just have to correct stuff like this. ;)
No

Also combining FF7 and FF7 international sales (which were almost assuredly double dips) is dishonest at best.

FF7 sold almost 700k less than DQ7 (500k less is you include best versions) in a single sku to sku comparaison

ZhugeEX

Banned
No

Also combining FF7 and FF7 international sales (which were almost assuredly double dips) is dishonest at best.

FF7 sold almost 700k less than DQ7 (500k less is you include best versions) in a single sku to sku comparaison

They still count as sales though. Square Enix didn't just give them away for free.

Jamix012

They still count as sales though. Square Enix didn't just give them away for free.

Ok? Still largely irrelevant. Apply that logic to another game. Super Mario Bros, has sold likely close to 80 million ish when combined with all re-releases, remakes etc. Yet no one in their right mind, would expect even a full re-imagining of the OG SMB to sell even a small fraction of 80 million.

When deciding what a remake is going to sell you don't look at all re-releases and ports of a game as a guideline, because that's ridiculous for a number of reasons.

When deciding what a remake is going to sell you don't look at all re-releases and ports of a game as a guideline, because that's ridiculous for a number of reasons.

Bit of a difference between counting re-releases on the same platform and a port, though.

FF VII would be significantly higher if we were counting all the porting that has happened since then; whereas counting platinum re-releases (or otherwise) on the same platform is more normal, imo.

Fularu

Banned
They're different games. The international version adds elements not found in the original release. That's why lumping them together would be like lumping together Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black. Same core game, many changes.

Jamix012

Bit of a difference between counting re-releases on the same platform and a port, though.

Eh, when some of the re-releases on the same platform come out 4 and 9 years after the original (though still on the same platform), you can assume it's selling to a brand new audience. In addition, if the ports have changes you're going to get some double dippers which further muddies the potential audience.

I really think they will try to get FFVIIR out for it's 25th anniversary so 2017 year end.
FFXV and KH3 2016.
DQXI and FFVIIR 2017.

People will tell you it's not going to happen and continue with the played out 'see you in 2025' joke that stopped being funny years ago but, given that the game isn't being developed under the same conditions as FFXIII and FFXV, I'm sure they can get it out on time.

People forget that Square Enix have always been a pretty proficient developer. FFXIII and XV are pretty extraordinary cases which were hampered primarily due to the fact they were developing a brand new, expensive flagship engine alongside the game. This won't be an issue with FFVIIR.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Ok? Still largely irrelevant. Apply that logic to another game. Super Mario Bros, has sold likely close to 80 million ish when combined with all re-releases, remakes etc. Yet no one in their right mind, would expect even a full re-imagining of the OG SMB to sell even a small fraction of 80 million.

I'm just talking about FF7 total sales on PS1, just one platform.

I never said anything about what the remake will sell or what pc version sold.

Fularu

Banned
But that was across multiple platforms. This is just one platform we're talking about.
FF7 is still 500k behind. You have to count two different versions of the game to get it to pass DQ7.

Would you lump together Shenmue and Shenmue US as the total lifetime sales of Shenmue in Japan? No, yet there are less différences between those two than between FF7 and FF7i

Mory Dunz

Wait really?

Vena

I'm just talking about FF7 total sales on PS1, just one platform.

I never said anything about what the remake will sell or what pc version sold.

I think the issue arises for the other posters is in that if we apply the same "look at how much X sold on one platform" we would see numbers like MH4 selling ~8 million on the 3DS. Which, obviously, gives us no actual right of mind for expectations on MH5 in and of itself. We don't look to the combined total of release and enhanced re-release, we look at just one or the other.

Jamix012

But that was across multiple platforms. This is just one platform we're talking about.

If you change the content of a game and re-release it, it's gonna get double dippers and not be indicative of the number of heads that actually bought the game in the same way one original release would be. If you re-release it after a significant amount of time, say 4 or 9 years after the original as in the case of two of the FF7 re-releases, then you're gonna get people rebuying it to play it again, or buying it to play on a certain backward compatible console.

Wait really?

Sorry, I should have made it 100% crystal clear that I don't actually have any sort of data to back this up and this is a guesstimate based on the 40~ million is sold on the NES plus Mario All Stars on SNES (and Wii) selling another 10 and probably another sizeable chunk from the GBA port and GBC remaster. When including Wii, 3DS and Wii U virtual console in the mix, I wouldn't be surprised if games with SMB as a prominent part of the game were at 80 Million~. That's without adding stupid ones like Animal Crossing GC and NES Remix 1+2, which both had fully playable versions of SMB (SLB in the case of the latter.)

ZhugeEX

Banned
Lol, you guys are too argumentative over a simple post of mine. Final Fantasy 7 sold 4 million in Japan. Re-releases do count.

You guys think Greatest Hits in US? Or Special Edition/limited edition don't count either or something?

If its a different platform or remake then ofc that won't count.

See 240k period again (outside of launch of couse)? Or see it caused by a game?

EDIT:
Or see it on a home console ever again outside of launch?

Well FFXIII came out on dec 17 so it got extra boost .
But i agree with Zhuge don't think we ever going to see that amount of consoles sold outside of launch .
Still NX might take off so you never know.

Fularu

Banned
Lol, you guys are too argumentative over a simple post of mine. Final Fantasy 7 sold 4 million in Japan. Re-releases do count.

You guys think Greatest Hits in US? Or Special Edition/limited edition don't count either or something?
Again you're wrong

FF7 and all rereleases sold 3.45 million units in Japan

FF7 international sold 490k units in Japan

Two different games

ZhugeEX

Banned
Again you're wrong

FF7 and all rereleases sold 3.45 million units in Japan

FF7 international sold 490k units in Japan

Two different games

Do you separate Pokemon games?

Also, to quote Square Enix-
FINAL FANTASY VII, originally released in Japan for the PlayStation(R)
game console on January 31, 1997 and September 7, 1997 in North America,
redefined the standard for role playing games (RPGs) and has since achieved
record-shattering sales of over 9.5 million units worldwide (3.9 million in
Japan and 5.6 million in North America and Europe, as of September 2004).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Its way too early to tell how much FF7R could sell we havent even see the remake or know when it will be released. Also the reception of FF XV and other JRPGs on PS4 will show us how big the market is at this point.

I think too many Gaffers are downplaying DQ11 on PS4 though. Game will likely be the best selling PS4 title even with the 3DS version out there.

Vena

I think too many Gaffers are downplaying DQ11 on PS4 though. Game will likely be the best selling PS4 title even with the 3DS version out there.

I think many of us are of the "Smash Ratio" expectations. I think, largely, people don't quite appreciate how much an alternative can cut the legs out from under a product... especially when one product is considerably cheaper and effectively conveys the experience well enough (or potentially better).

And in this case, we don't have any real change of features (more of a loss of them), just change of presentation.

Top Bottom