• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2017 (Sep 04 - Sep 10)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
But weve alread yeen getting TGS announcements for the switch already????

third party announcements have to prove themselves from ground zero, not the other way around.
we should ask: "Are we expecting significant third party announcements for Switch at TGS?"
and not: "Are you really not expecting significant third party announcements at TGS for Switch?"

Zedark

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about, too...
Maybe at Jump Festa or so in December, I don't know...
Any other plausible events upcoming later this year?
Aren't Tales announced at their own time instead of during an event? Zestiria and Berseria were, at least from what I can tell.

are we expecting a certain someone to keep on panicking,complaining and whining in every media create thread after TGS?The answer is always yes
So where the hell is the new Tales of game?

Isn't it supposed to release by end of this FY!?
maybe it's because they want to announce it at TGS,or the end year direct,or maybe it got cancelled.who knows

Mr Swine

Banned
Wow, I guess that PS4 sales will start to increase now that we know that MHW is coming out in 4 months no? Sony has at least secured next year with very good sales thanks to MonHun

Also that was a ton of software announced for PS4

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
are we expecting a certain someone to keep on panicking,complaining and whining in every media create thread after TGS?The answer is always yes

Lol
you are so right.
I'm gonna start saving money to spend on those hundreds of third party switch games.
thanks for the advice

Plum

I'm really interested in seeing how MH:W will do. On one hand, it looks amazing and a massive step up for the franchise; Capcom also seems to be putting in a lot of work in getting it out there. On the other hand, it's a departure from the series' established console base and seems to be betting big on a heightened Western uptake.

It'll be interesting, that's for sure. What's everyone else expecting this to sell in the first week?

orochi91

Wow, I guess that PS4 sales will start to increase now that we know that MHW is coming out in 4 months no? Sony has at least secured next year with very good sales thanks to MonHun

Also that was a ton of software announced for PS4

A ton of VR announcements too.

I wasn't expecting that.

Mory Dunz

I'm really interested in seeing how MH:W will do. On one hand, it looks amazing and a massive step up for the franchise; Capcom also seems to be putting in a lot of work in getting it out there. On the other hand, it's a departure from the series' established console base and seems to be betting big on a heightened Western uptake.

It'll be interesting, that's for sure. What's everyone else expecting this to sell in the first week?

dunno about FW, but I guess like 1.2-1.5m LTD?

gtj1092

because

this

How could Sony ever have more notable announcements than Nintendo when Nintendo is the biggest publisher in Japan and every other notable franchise has been announced or released?

Also hoping MHW getting a release date will temper the Capcom doomsday fantasies a little. Bizzare there was even speculation it would be delayed after all the footage we've seen.

Lol
you are so right.
I'm gonna start saving money to spend on those hundreds of third party switch games.
thanks for the advice
wait,did I even mention you in the first place to begin with?Even you know that you are annoying everyone in this thread with your delusional narratives disgusted as a "critical thoughts about third parties l",yet you still kept on going
And look,I don't care how many hundred games are you gonna buy,I don't care how much money have you saved,I don't care about you thanking me whatever reason and I absolutely don't care about your dooming narrative in your mind,either.
The point is,the way you are keep panicking,whining and complaining in every post of you is pointless,time wasting,ruining the entire thread,annoying lots of people and the most of all,it doesn't make the situation about third parties better either.And don't tell me to block you or putting you in the ignore list or whatsoever,even if I put you in the ignore list,you would still keep on poluting upcoming threads with your dooming comments.Look,I'm not ordering you to say or do what I want either(I've just been in this forum for a few weeks),but this is how I truly feel everytime I click into the media create,just please think about other posters in this thread for once

zeromcd73

So in terms of newly announced games that have potential to sell over 100k it would have to be these?

- Left Alive
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operations 2
- Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain
Pretty weak if so. It looks like potentially no 200k+ sellers were announced :(

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I have something to ask you guys. Did Muramasa flopped on the Wii? Why did Vanillaware stopped supporting Nintendo after it?

fortunato

Banned
I also think there is a false equivalence when discussing about third-parties support.

Of course, the best scenario for Nintendo would be to have full third-parties support, as it was during the NES/SNES days. Nevertheless, Nintendo has many strong franchises in Japan: Pokémon, Mario, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Kirby, Splatoon; in fact, some of them are the biggest IPs over there. Also, Nintendo is able to produce successful franchises quite often (Splatoon is a recent example, but think about Rhythm Heaven, Tomodachi Life, Pikmin).

This is a double-edged sword: first-party support can suck sales potential from third-party games; but when attractive enough, it might be able to drive hardware sales; after all, Switch is selling solely thanks to Nintendo support (the fact that it is an attractive product also helps; the counterfactual, though, is harder to imagine: would have the same hardware with PS4-like games succeeded?).

This is not to say that Nintendo does not need third-party support: quite the contrary. At the same time, it is quite established that it does not need third-party support as Sony does. Sony relies heavily on third-parties because its internal offering is not attractive in Japan. Of course, Sony has some successful IPs, but nothing comparable to the like of Pokémon and Mario, and to successful third-party franchises, such as Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter. Sony is really dependent on third-parties; we can say that the major factors to explain PS Vita failure was the lack of Monster Hunter (and consequently of many big third-parties IPs such as Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and Kingdom Hearts). And third-parties are volatile; we saw this during the DS era, when everyone was expecting Dragon Quest to be announced on PS3, and instead the franchise found its home on the portable device.

We are also looking at the situation where Sony got 90% of the relevant third-party support, and still its hardware is failing to reach a mass-market status (in 2017, outside big releases, PS4 was struggling to maintain a weekly average 30k units sold; this after revisions, AAA games, promotions). On the other hand, Nintendo hardware shows how they can be successful without major third-part support; even the DS, the most successful hardware of all time in Japan, was lacking major entries in Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Monster Hunter franchises (because of technological reasons, but still), and some third-parties barely showed up (Capcom support was abysmal considering hardware sales, and companies such as Konami and Koei Tecmo released either low-profile or kid-oriented games).

Henceforth, I am not saying Nintendo should not improve its relationship with third-parties. Nevertheless, Nintendo does not need the same amount (or the same type) of third-party support Sony needs to succeed. Of course, the more the better, but it is necessary to consider Nintendo games in the big picture, which are successful, drive hardware sales, and per se are relevant support.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Well, that went about as expected...

At least for this year the only "big" thing that could be expected was Dynasty Warriors 9, but in the end the impression that still needs work was correct. EDF will give some sales but it will be a weak December for third party software.

Sandfox

So in terms of newly announced games that have potential to sell over 100k it would have to be these?

Pretty weak if so. It looks like potentially no 200k+ sellers were announced :(

The original Battle Operations was a f2p game, so the sequel will probably be the same.

Eolz

How could Sony ever have more notable announcements than Nintendo when Nintendo is the biggest publisher in Japan and every other notable franchise has been announced or released?

That's more because Nintendo's "TGS Direct" had nothing important announced there. If it was a year where there had been multiple announcements there, there wouldn't have been the same expectations for Sony (outside of the DMC5 crazy people).
There will obviously be some hopes about (former) big franchises every year, be it on Nintendo or Sony's side.

I have something to ask you guys. Did Muramasa flopped on the Wii? Why did Vanillaware stopped supporting Nintendo after it?

I think it did decently on the Wii, but it was a really particular platform.
After that, the Vita was the relatively obvious platform for them, and I guess the Switch will replace it after 13 Sentinels. They've just always been a Playstation-centric dev, a bit like NISA and some others of the same size.

Datschge

We are also looking at the situation where Sony got 90% of the relevant third-party support, and still its hardware is failing to reach a mass-market status (in 2017, outside big releases, PS4 was struggling to maintain a weekly average 30k units sold; this after revisions, AAA games, promotions).
This. 3rd party (or any software) support alone is meaningless, it actually needs to reach the mass-market to expand instead contracting further. For home consoles in Japan this hasn't happened anymore since the early Wii days, and this TGS pre-show showed no way out.

Mr Swine

Banned
So one question about FF. Is there a reason why post FF VI is exclusive to PS (and Xbox if we count the last 2 games) and have never appeared on a Nintendo console?

And I don't mean the Snes FF remakes on DS or the spin offs on GC

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This. 3rd party (or any software) support alone is meaningless, it actually needs to reach the mass-market to expand instead contracting further. For home consoles in Japan this hasn't happened anymore since the early Wii days, and this TGS pre-show showed no way out.
To be fair the mass market is on mobile anyway so only few devs/publisher think they can attract that market with console games anyway. The publishers who think they can target that market are the ones most likely to develop for Nintendo systems. Otherwise having success on mobile and providing more core gamer oriented content on consoles seems to be the plan.

I think most publishers will have to I create their Switch output by next year though
Not only because of domestic sales but because it's as Smash hit worldwide. Right now the system is being held down by the low confidence from publishers prior to its launch and the double dip mentality in Japan. There are a bunch of projects that could be released o Switch but aren't coming to it because it would have negative impact on the sales prediction of the Vita/PS4 release. These games were greenlit on the basis that people would have to pay extra for the portable version or the big screen experience....just adding a Switch version to those titles will result in less sales. So they are riding out those PSV/PS4 releases - if possible will announce a separate Switch release later and start moving into NSW/PS4 for future releases.
So one question about FF. Is there a reason why post FF VI is exclusive to PS (and Xbox if we count the last 2 games) and have never appeared on a Nintendo console?

It's def. weird because they are leaving money on the table - in the past or usually those re-release have been used to lead the audience to the systems where the next main games will end up on and that always have been the PS systems. No matter how successful the system... Even DS, Wii or 3DS would get any love.

While I think those games should find their games on Switch, especially since some think like FF9 has been on mobile for a while now... There are definitely non-business related reasons that kept those games from appearing on Nintendo systems. Vita not getting a successor and Switch not being a traditional homeconsole might put SE in a situation where they don't have a better Sony solution to sell to like in the past.

Then again even the PS4 had to wait like two years for the FF9 port after its initial launch on PC/Mobile... lol, this company. And they were willing to skip the whole Xbox market for any kind of remaster/remake etc. from the beginning of the gen.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

There's apparently contractual obligations with Sony:

Akitoshi Kawazu, the leader of Square's second production unit and a board member, will head the new company, which will be formed in March. The new company will be responsible for porting some of the existing popular Square titles to the GBA. The company also plans to develop games that utilize the GBA and GC link. The company received development funding from Fund Q, which was formed by Nintendo's president, Hiroshi Yamauchi.

Sony, who owns 19% of Square, agreed last October to let Square develop under the condition that this settlement will not influence future PS2 game development decisions. As a result, to meet this condition, Square will form a new company that will be independent from Sony. It should also be noted that Square invested 49% into the new company while Kawazu‘s investment represents 51% of the stake. Since Kawazu has the majority of the stake, he will have control over the company's operations.

The article continued to comment that this new company will be no more than a paper company as the actual development will come from the second production unit of Square, which consists of around 10 developers.
Source.

They had to make a phantom Company just to be able to make the CC games for the GC. I'm preparing a thread about the issue.

Would that be fine, @Nirolak?

fortunato

Banned
To be fair the mass market is on mobile anyway so only few devs/publisher think they can attract that market with console games anyway. The publishers who think they can target that market are the ones most likely to develop for Nintendo systems. Otherwise having success on mobile and providing more core gamer oriented content on consoles seems to be the plan.

I think most publishers will have to I create their Switch output by next year though
Not only because of domestic sales but because it's as Smash hit worldwide. Right now the system is being held down by the low confidence from publishers prior to its launch and the double dip mentality in Japan. There are a bunch of projects that could be released o Switch but aren't coming to it because it would have negative impact on the sales prediction of the Vita/PS4 release. These games were greenlit on the basis that people would have to pay extra for the portable version or the big screen experience....just adding a Switch version to those titles will result in less sales. So they are riding out those PSV/PS4 releases - if possible will announce a separate Switch release later and start moving into NSW/PS4 for future releases.

This does not prevent a traditional hardware to become mass-market anyway. 3DS showed that. Perhaps there is less room for more than one mass-market traditional device (like in previous generations: SNES-GB; PS1-GB; PS2-GBA; DS-PSP) but it does not mean that you cannot reach a wide audience with traditional gaming. In fact, Switch sales show that this is still possible, perhaps changing the form factor such that it is as flexible and versatile as possible, because people will not buy both a home and a handheld console anymore.

Datschge

That's nice and all but reads like the Japanese game industry is content with winding down support for dedicated devices and Sony is just shrugging its shoulders at this point. I guess my bafflement is mainly based on just how little interest there seems to be to retain a significant dedicated gaming market in Japan.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This does not prevent a traditional hardware to become mass-market anyway. 3DS showed that. Perhaps there is less room for more than one mass-market traditional device (like in previous generations: SNES-GB; PS1-GB; PS2-GBA; DS-PSP) but it does not mean that you cannot reach a wide audience with traditional gaming. In fact, Switch sales show that this is still possible, perhaps changing the form factor such that it is as flexible and versatile as possible, because people will not buy both a home and a handheld console anymore.
Im not disagreeing just stating what most of tu es Japanese devs likely think. Mass market audience doesn't mean much when the hardware is so weak that your games won't run on it... Which was the issue for many creators with systems like the 3DS or is the reason why not everything is on mobile nowadays. The Switch is in a better position from the get go but it just takes time for the publishers adapt to this possibility.

We have to remember that publishers are skipping right now on Switch because the userbase is still rather low with +2m units sold.. The tune will change rather fast next year if the system keeps selling at this pace and after we see happening with some western publishers supporting it.

Top Bottom