• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2017 (Sep 04 - Sep 10)

Ōkami;249177394 said:
Xbox One version of Okami in Japan is digital only, Capcom isn't releasing retail version of their games for the system in Japan anymore.

Wii port of the original sold rather poorly anyway, despite the Zelda fanbase and all, people really overblow how many sales Capcom is "losing" regarding it.
Wasn't the Wii version the best selling ww?

Really?But I'd not be surprised if it was tbh
Not sure, that's why I asked. It performed pretty bad on PS2, so that's not a too big of a hurdle. Though I do agree the NSW audience would most likely be the most receptive, overall sales would still be low I guess. Still, porting to XB1 but not NSW makes no sense at all, that version's sales will probably be abismal.

D.Lo

Okami performed poorly on PS2, and the Wii version, despite being a plagued development full-priced outsourced late port with missing paper filter, missing ending and IGN logo on the cover, did 'well' according to Capcom at the time, approaching the PS2 sales. No LTD was ever given for any version AFAIK.

PSN/XB version is surely the best selling, having no nasty port issues and being sold at a budget price.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Okami performed poorly on PS2, and the Wii version, despite being a plagued development full-priced outsourced late port with missing paper filter, missing ending and IGN logo on the cover, did 'well' according to Capcom at the time, approaching the PS2 sales. No LTD was ever given for any version AFAIK.

PSN/XB version is surely the best selling, having no nasty port issues and being sold at a budget price.
I forgot about the ign logo. I'm astounded how company can be so incompetent for so long and still limp along the way Capcom have.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think the easy breakdown would be this.

Games likely to sell 200K+:
- Yo-Kai Watch Busters 2 - If this doesn't move 200K, Level-5 might as well throw in the towel.

Snack World and Layton sales are a little over complete irrelevance.

Even if after semi come back of YW3 with Sukiyaki, Busters 2 moves only 200k Level 5 is already history.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Snack World and Layton sales are a little over complete irrelevance.

Even if after semi come back of YW3 with Sukiyaki, Busters 2 moves only 200k Level 5 is already history.

Aren't all eggs on No Ni Kuni 2, though? What are the expectations for that game?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I forgot about the ign logo. I'm astounded how company can be so incompetent for so long and still limp along the way Capcom have.
It just makes me realize how dedicated a Nintendo fan base is for capcom yet they often forget that

Is it just me or there aren't also any hype about NnK2 outside of Japan?When the first game was announced there were lots of talks about the it being novelty ghibli game or how it was the dream rpg.There aren't anything like that when it comes to NnK2

KtSlime

Is it just me or there aren't also any hype about NnK2 outside of Japan?When the first game was announced there were lots of talks about the it being novelty ghibli game or how it was the dream rpg.There aren't anything like that when it comes to NnK2

To be fair there is no hype for it in Japan either.

Datschge

It's also no longer a Ghibli game. ;)

At this point NnK2 with the financial backing of BN may well be the ongoing development that both kept L5 busy and secured their day to day staff costs while they kept failing with the other projects. Will be interesting to seeing what Hino comes up once the deserted wasteland is really there after NnK2 is done.

Vena

Toss MvCI on the low-budget, no marketing pile of Capcom releases.

I see no possibility this hits its target, will it even hit half of its target...?

Toss MvCI on the low-budget, no marketing pile of Capcom releases.

I see no possibility this hits its target, will it even hit half of its target...?
Marvel popularity is pretty high, but the renditions of the characters don't match that of the movies very well so I'm not sure.

Vena

Marvel popularity is pretty high, but the renditions of the characters don't match that of the movies very well so I'm not sure.

And DCU popularity is in a pit with maligned movies but that doesn't carry over into the stellar performance of Injustice. Huge budget, impeccable presentation, and good marketing with popular BATMAN characters can overcome the hole the movies/DCU finds itself.

But all the same media popularity won't necessarily translate to the game, especially when the game *looks* as bad as this does. MvCI's presentation is a crashed schoolbus on fire, sinking into an ocean.

Obviously, Injustice is a global powerhouse with fighting game-par sales in Japan, and MvCI is going to do even worse probably in Japan, but I thought the discussion relevant as it ties to Capcom.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally licenses are only helpful when they're attached to attractive products. It's a huge boost when you're selling Batman: Arkham Asylum, but not helpful when you're selling 60 or lower Metacritic games like Deadpool or X-Men: Destiny.

Marvel: Contest of Champions also has 40+ million downloads and is still super popular for more casual Marvel fans who really just want to interact with Marvel characters. The console audience got Marvel Heroes and some upcoming games as well, so it's not like it's the only option on the platform either.

LordKano

It's also no longer a Ghibli game. ;)

At this point NnK2 with the financial backing of BN may well be the ongoing development that both kept L5 busy and secured their day to day staff costs while they kept failing with the other projects. Will be interesting to seeing what Hino comes up once the deserted wasteland is really there after NnK2 is done.

Inazuma Eleven Ares Yo-Kai Watch mobile will save the company.

Vena

Generally licenses are only helpful when they're attached to attractive products. It's a huge boost when you're selling Batman: Arkham Asylum, but not helpful when you're selling 60 or lower Metacritic games like Deadpool or X-Men: Destiny.

Marvel: Contest of Champions also has 40+ million downloads and is still super popular for more casual Marvel fans who really just want to interact with Marvel characters. The console audience got Marvel Heroes and some upcoming games as well, so it's not like it's the only option on the platform either.

A good point, there's already M:CoC out there for people who just want the characters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mobile actually isn't great for children's properties in Japan because the major spenders are in their 30s and 40s, and kids tend to spend the least.

All ages games, sure, but hyper targeted kids properties make the most sense when they're 20+ years old and adults want to interact with them, as opposed to actual kids, who will certainly still play them, but not really pay for them (sans ad revenue, which can be significant).

Malakai

That it sells well in west like original Ni No Kuni. Japan is pretty irrelevant for the title (original sold under 200k on PS3).

But didn't Ni No Kuni on the PS3 hit those sale target at discounted price point in the West? I.e. it is a "greatest hit" title but didn't break one million units sold...

Datschge

But didn't Ni No Kuni on the PS3 hit those sale target at discounted price point in the West? I.e. it is a "greatest hit" title but didn't break one million units sold...
That'd be the publisher's (so Bandai Namco's) worry, not Level 5's. And seeing how Bandai Namco is eager to push NnK2, even offering a PC port this time, I'd guess BN deemed it successful.

Well I don't know about that but considering how Bamco is willing to fund this sequel (and what I have seen game seems to have decent budget) I guess they were happy with the sales (and revenue).

Datschge

Of course, the final week is the Sony conference, but we'll see if things reverse dramatically or not.
Just a short reminder that the Sony TGS pre-show press conference is in about 11 hours from now.

t1505804400z0.png

OT with stream links (opens shortly before it starts): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1434360

Eolz

I'm more surprised at Disney/Marvel not pushing the game than Capcom tbh. The latter did a decent job, while the former isn't doing anything despite promoting MvC3 back then.
Unless they count comic covers as something as good?

Just a short reminder that the Sony TGS pre-show press conference is in about 11 hours from now.

t1505804400z0.png

OT with stream links (opens shortly before it starts): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1434360

Thanks for that, forgot about the hour.
And lol at the DMC5 mentions :p

Oregano

Right- barring some big stuff at Sony's PC in a few days, pretty lackluster announcements.

EDIT- as far as looking at the overall space, I'd argue you have one platform in its prime, so to speak (PS4), one emerging (Switch) and 2 on their way out (Vita, 3DS). So in that context, this year isn't that surprising.

I think my biggest concern is that the PS4 and Switch have to replace the impact of the 3DS + Vita + PS3 to not see the market decline even further overall, which I'm becoming increasingly skeptical of.

This year itself should be up, but how far into the 1980s in terms of game revenue are we going to go if they don't pick up to at least that level?

I somehow missed this conversation but to focus on Switch I think it's had a poor showing for it's first TGS(or course with the caveat that their might be one of two announcements at the actual show). Counting only JP third party titles featured in their first post release TGS stream/conference:

Switch 2017
Winning Post 8
Championship Jockey
Dragon Quest X
Octopath Traveller
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Phantasy Star Online 2
Lost Sphear
Resident Evil Revelations 1&2
Atelier Liddy & Souer(sp?)
Sonic Forces

3DS 2011
Dynasty Warriors VS
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Gundam Age
SD Gundam Generation 3D
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai
Resident Evil Revelations
Ace Combat 3D
Tekken 3D
Theatrhythm
Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime
Girl's RPG
Metal Gear Solid 3D
Monster Hunter 3G
Monster Hunter 4

Vita 2012
Gundam Breaker
Earth Defence Force
Street Fighter x Tekken
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus
Oboro Muramasa
Valhalla Knights 3
Atelier Totori Plus
Ys Celceta
Zero no Kiseki Evo
God Eater 2
Toukiden
Demon Tribe
Phantasy Star Online 2

PS4 2014
Bladestorm
Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
Disgaea 5
Dragon Quest Heroes
Earth Defence Force 4.1
Fairy Fencer F
God Eater 2 Rage Burst
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
Persona 5
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus
Summer Lesson
Yakuza 0
Ys

EDIT: Looks like I missed a load of PS4 stuff off:
Let it Die
MGS V: Phantom Pain
Resident Evil Remake HD
Dragonball Xenoverse
Omega Quintet
Neptunia 7

Actually after typing those lists up what is most apparent is the hilarious amount of overlap in terms of franchises and even specific releases. No wonder the Japanese industry is so stagnant. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Actually after typing those lists up what is most apparent is the hilarious amount of overlap in terms of franchises and even specific releases. No wonder the Japanese industry is so stagnant. Please let me know if I missed anything.
Yes. This is why I feel it's actually very relevant that new IPs take off on mobile all the time.

Without frequent new brands, it's actually pretty hard to grow an industry. Even a lot of the biggest games in the West this gen have been cross-gen or new-gen only titles like Destiny, The Division, Watch Dogs, For Honor, Titanfall, or Overwatch. Along with that have been a lot of huge, ambitious reboots or shake-ups of existing series, which are still relatively rare in Japan.

Japan does benefit when they really go after that as well, such as with Splatoon / Yo-Kai Watch for new IP, or Fire Emblem for a notable shake-up, but we just don't get nearly enough of this in the dedicated space to really bring in the sustained excitement.

I Please let me know if I missed anything.

Not a new game:

Super Bomberman R (Switch) – Playable (Family Game Park), Stage, e-Sports, Trailer
https://aotf.com/news/konami-announces-tgs-2017-lineup/

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch (Switch) – Playable, Trailer, Stage

Gotouchi for Nintendo Switch (Switch) – Trailer, Stage

One Piece: Unlimited World Red Deluxe Edition (Switch) – Playable, Trailer

Namco Museum (Switch) – Trailer

https://aotf.com/news/bandai-namco-tgs-2017-lineup/

Oregano

Yes. This is why I feel it's actually very relevant that new IPs take off on mobile all the time.

Without frequent new brands, it's actually pretty hard to grow an industry. Even a lot of the biggest games in the West this gen have been cross-gen or new-gen only titles like Destiny, The Division, Watch Dogs, For Honor, Titanfall, or Overwatch. Along with that have been a lot of huge, ambitious reboots or shake-ups of existing series, which are still relatively rare in Japan.

Japan does benefit when they really go after that as well, such as with Splatoon / Yo-Kai Watch for new IP, or Fire Emblem for a notable shake-up, but we just don't get nearly enough of this in the dedicated space to really bring in the sustained excitement.

Octopath Traveller will probably benefit from that(at a smaller scale) even though it's very much routed in other series(Bravely/FF and SaGa). It's certainly getting a big push but again it's notable that it's now a worldwide focused game and even the JP stream had English narration.

Not a new game:

Super Bomberman R (Switch) – Playable (Family Game Park), Stage, e-Sports, Trailer
https://aotf.com/news/konami-announces-tgs-2017-lineup/

I'm only counting games in the wider consumer facing streams/conferences from Nintendo or Sony.

Vena

Let's see, new/shake up IP (removed titles that needed a major adjacent platform peripheral) and added one?:

Switch 2017
Fire Emblem Warriors (right before TGS)
Octopath Traveller
Lost Sphear

3DS 2011
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai (shake up?)
Resident Evil Revelations (shake up?)
Theatrhythm
Girl's RPG

Vita 2012
Toukiden
Demon Tribe

PS4 2014
Dragon Quest Heroes
Let it Die
Dragonball Xenoverse
Omega Quintet

Ya not much, did I miss anything?

Oregano

You seemed to base the list on TGS and then tell a poster that Switch games 3rd parties actually showcase at the TGS don't count. *shrugs*

Ignoring the fact that only one of those games isn't already released on Switch I don't think a list that includes any game present at the respective TGS' in general would really benefit Switch. It would notably add DQM: Terry's Wonderland 3D to the 3DS list and FFXV to the PS4 list.

Top Bottom