• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2011 (Sep 19 - Sep 25)

BurntPork

Banned
Sardello said:
In relation with the 3ds sales...

"Tira più un pelo di figa che un carro di buoi"

This is an illuminating italian proverb
Tira più un pelo di figa che un carro di buoi.
Translation: A pussy hair can pull more weight than a bunch of bulls.
Meaning: "A woman can talk a man into anything"

wat

EDIT: Wait. lol

wsippel

Banned
Mpl90 said:
...Ah.
Now I remember that...for Holiday 2011, 3DS should also see the release of Rune Factory 4.
And, above all, Girls RPG by Level 5...a game that could surprise with the Pink incoming.
Nicola... a 100k seller.
Like Shin Chan.
About Tetris... eh, it is published by Namco, not by Nintendo...and I don't think we will see another million seller anymore from that brand. But what it could do in the end, especially NOW, is something very interesting.
Especially because Tetris will be the game for Pink 3DS' launch.
That's exactly my point. When I saw the pink 3DS announcement, and the Girl's Mode announcement, I expected them to launch alongside. Didn't happen. Then I saw the FabStyle announcement, but that seems to launch a month after the pink 3DS for whatever reason (missed opportunity?). Tetris is the game launching alongside the hardware, and Nicola launches a week later. Will there be some sort of synergy effect? Wouldn't surprise me, really.

Girl's RPG has no release date I believe? That launching the 20th could lead to very interesting numbers...

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow nice for Yugioh Tag Force 6, guess they are sending 5D's out with a bang.

I'm predicting some dudebro tears over it beating Gears 3, like when TF5 beat Halo Reach last year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Canova said:
no way that low. Demon's Souls sale number is close to a million.

I predict that Dark Souls will sel 2.5 to 3M worldwide by the end of its run
It could do close to two million i think, but that is because the game is out on two platforms. If it was PS3 exclusive, i dont think that we would have seen millions sold.

The PS3 version alone would probably see somewhat higher sales if it was exclusive compared to now when the Xbox 360 version also excist, since then people would be "forced" to buy the PS3 version. But i dont think that the Xbox 360 version would eat that much into the PS3 version sales. I think more that the Xbox 360 version will be additional sales, and Sony wouldnt see those sales if Dark Souls was PS3 exclusive.

Boney

Banned
Canova said:
no way that low. Demon's Souls sale number is close to a million.

I predict that Dark Souls will sel 2.5 to 3M worldwide by the end of its run
Well, not backing DkS was indeed Sony's second biggest mistake this generation.

lol

guit3457

I just realised I forgot Sonic:

Release Dates:

Pink 3DS: 2011/10/20
DQ Slime 3: 2011/11/2
Super Mario 3D Land: 2011/11/3
Mario Kart 7: 2011/12/1
Sonic Generations: 2011/12/1
New Love Plus: 2011/12/8
Monster Hunter 3G: 2011/12/10
Inazuma Eleven GO: 2011/12/15
SD Gundam GGeneration 3D: 2011/12/22

And there are several Namco Bandai titles, a Pachinco game by Irem, ArcSystem game and other games I can't translate but they are in high positions in amazon. If anyone can help:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/2228407051/

Road

noobie said:
Has any other IP done so that the sequel did more than Life time sales of the previous entries in the first week?
I didn't look through everything, only those over 200k.

What you're looking for:

{1995-12-15} [SFC] Tales of Phantasia (Namco) - 84.373 / 228.738
{1997-12-23} [PS1] Tales of Destiny (Namco) - 450.099 / 895.524

A couple of games that came close to:

{1996-09-27} [SAT] Sakura Taisen (SEGA) - 205.270 / 367.313
{1998-04-04} [SAT] Sakura Taisen 2 (SEGA) - 355.270 / 509.091

{1994-11-22} [SAT] Virtua Fighter (SEGA) - 64.718 / 550.000
{1995-12-01} [SAT] Virtua Fighter 2 (SEGA) - 540.539 / 1.049.968

Kinda but not exactly:

{2004-03-11} [PS2] Monster Hunter (Capcom) - 120.640 / 288.559
{2005-01-20} [PS2] Monster Hunter G (Capcom) - 128.051 / 237.393
{2006-02-16} [PS2] Monster Hunter 2 (Capcom) - 368.057 / 692.005

"Best" releases included in totals.
Famitsu data (by which, if the leak is for the final numbers, Dark Souls did not outsell Demon's Souls yet).

Tailzo

Road said:
I didn't look through everything, only those over 200k.

A couple of games that came close to:

{1996-09-27} [SAT] Sakura Taisen (SEGA) - 205.270 / 367.313
{1998-04-04} [SAT] Sakura Taisen 2 (SEGA) - 355.270 / 509.091

{1994-11-22} [SAT] Virtua Fighter (SEGA) - 64.718 / 550.000
{1995-12-01} [SAT] Virtua Fighter 2 (SEGA) - 540.539 / 1.049.968

).
What happened to Sakura Taisen? I bought the wii game, it was good. But that was a late port, right?

Tailzo said:
What happened to Sakura Taisen? I bought the wii game, it was good. But that was a late port, right?

Very late port.

It was a huge series that ran it's course with multiple games, anime series and movies, live stage shows and a shop in Tokyo. It's currently dead.

Tailzo

distantmantra said:
Very late port.

It was a huge series that ran it's course with multiple games, anime series and movies, live stage shows and a shop in Tokyo. It's currently dead.
So the first two was Saturn games, then 3 and 4 for Dreamcast, while 5 was ps2 only in Japan and ps2 / wii other places? Why did it die?

distantmantra said:
Very late port.

Besides for the live shows(musical theatrical productions) that still happen every 6 months or so, The pachinko game. Plus the announcement of the surprizingly decent looking browser game.

Okay yeah, it's dead.

test_account

XP-39C²
Boney said:
Well, not backing DkS was indeed Sony's second biggest mistake this generation.

lol
It could be that they did, but wasnt able to. After seeing the success of Demon's Souls, maybe From Software felt confident enough to publish the game themself in Japan. And Namco Bandai made it possible for the game to be multiplatform (which usually means more sales), something that Sony wouldnt do.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Besides for the live shows(musical theatrical productions) that still happen every 6 months or so, The pachinko game. Plus the announcement of the surprizingly decent looking browser game.

Okay yeah, it's dead.

lol

SlipperySlope said:
Nintendo's attempting to squash the Vita out of the gate. Which will likely happen.
some part of me doesn't like a single device dominating, for the sake of competition and different styles; but some part of me, tells me that a strong Nintendo will be the only thing that can manage to overcome this smartphone doom & gloom, but maybe I am wrong?

pramath

Banned
guit3457 said:

Release Dates:

And there are several Namco Bandai titles, a Pachinco game by Irem, ArcSystem game and other games I can't translate but they are in high positions in amazon. If anyone can help:

That's not fair at all...

TheNatural

My Member!
guit3457 said:

Release Dates:

Also Tetris and Super Black Bass in October are megatons.

walking fiend said:
some part of me doesn't like a single device dominating, for the sake of competition and different styles; but some part of me, tells me that a strong Nintendo will be the only thing that can manage to overcome this smartphone doom & gloom, but maybe I am wrong?
I agree. When Nintendo thinks they will relentlessly dominate its $250 3DS with an awful launch and a single stick. When Nintendo is struggling its $170 3DS with awesome exclusives and a 2nd frankenstick. They also did some cheap/grimy things with the Wii as well. However, I thought for the most part when the dominated with the DS they were pretty awesome.

[Nintex]

Vita is already dead.

jman2050

guit3457 said:

Release Dates:

I didn't think Vita stood a chance in the first place, but when you lay it out like that, it looks downright unfair.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm really hoping we see a crazy DS shortage like effect for the 3DS this holiday season. I think it can happen. I can feel it!

The Vita probably is going to have like no supply whatsoever for when it launches so it's going to sell badly and sell out no matter what the competition or it does.

jman2050

Magicpaint said:
You guys aren't serious about these Vita is dead comments right? Just checking -_-

Depends on whether they mean "dead" as in actually dead or "dead" as in "won't beat the 3DS"

Takao

Banned
walking fiend said:

Your wrong entirely. Nintendo overcoming smartphone gloom and doom means nothing, but strength for Nintendo. It doesn't mean the handheld market is healthy. It just means Nintendo is. Having both Sony and Nintendo succeed would sleigh the one iOS to rule them all idiots entirely. But it's clear that for whatever reason (be it third parties being burned by the past, or even Nintendo) Sony doesn't have the software to do that.

BurntPork

Banned
Magicpaint said:
You guys aren't serious about these Vita is dead comments right? Just checking -_-
Vita doesn't even remotely stand a chance of competing against 3DS this holiday. It'll struggle to sell half as much. Practically every possible thing is going against it. Hell, Sony will probably only ship about half as much as 3DS sells.

It's not dead, but this is going to be DS vs PSP all over again, at least in Japan.

Takao said:
Your wrong entirely. Nintendo overcoming smartphone gloom and doom means nothing, but strength for Nintendo. It doesn't mean the handheld market is healthy. It just means Nintendo is. Having both Sony and Nintendo succeed would sleigh the one iOS to rule them all idiots entirely. But it's clear that for whatever reason (be it third parties being burned by the past, or even Nintendo) Sony doesn't have the software to do that.
Vita still eats 3DS alive in terms of games that appeal to western gamers, so it's still up in the air. If Nintendo doesn't get more third-party titles out that can sell in the west, we could see Vita dominate.

Takao

Banned
BurntPork said:
It's not dead, but this is going to be DS vs PSP all over again, at least in Japan.

So it'll have a rebirth in 2-3 years thanks to a port of a console game no one expected to blow up, but it did?

BurntPork said:
Vita still eats 3DS alive in terms of games that appeal to western gamers, so it's still up in the air. If Nintendo doesn't get more third-party titles out that can sell in the west, we could see Vita dominate.

Isn't that what people said about the PSP? Mario sells like crazy in NA if I'm not mistaken. So does Pokemon.

BurntPork said:

It's going to kill with logo X, Y, and Z. Literally unstoppable.

Alrus

Magicpaint said:

Well as it's been discussed previously, I think the Vita will struggle for a while after it launch period. Right now it has decent selling launch software (and they will probably sell well unless the Vita bombs massively) but they don't seem to have the ability to maintain healthy Vita sales after launch.

What happens in 2012 though, I don't know. It's obviously premature to call a platform dead before it even launched or has been on the market for at least a couple of years, so we'll see.

BurntPork said:

Mario Kart and 2D Mario have much much more appeal in the west than Uncharted or anything else in the launch lineup... CoD is a big question mark because we don't know if huge sales on home console will translate in huge sales on a handheld (and even if sold really well, the PSP had GTA games and that still didn't really save it in the long term).

Takao said:
So it'll have a rebirth in 2-3 years thanks to a port of a console game no one expected to blow up, but it did?
SCE is pretty good at relaunching their systems to respectability. PSP in Japan and PS3 worldwide.

BurntPork said:

Vita already sounds like it will have much stronger initial support than when PSP launched.
In my opinion, as a consumer, Vita doesn't have to beat 3DS. With nearly a year's head start, that will be near impossible. As long as support for the system is constant from both 1st and 3rd parties, I don't care. I just want it to have a nice long, healthy life. It doesn't need to beat 3DS to do that.

Takao

Banned
BurntPork said:

No we won't, the west doesn't care about Sony's exclusive franchises like they do Nintendo's, and the spinoffs they get from third parties won't be good enough, or marketed well enough to make an impact.

I initially expected Vita to have a shot at outselling the 3DS in Japan, but I wasn't expecting the price collapse and the software barrage Nintendo had planned. So if someone quotes me in some "lol look how stupid they were" post, I will seek revenge, haha.

Takao said:
I don't think only Nintendo will benefit. PS2, and even PC gaming, paved the way for 360 and HD consoles in general. Wii paved the way for Kinect. And Nintendo gave birth to an expanded casual gaming market by DS as well.

But obviously I agree that if both succeeded by having a long term visions, it would be the best. However, part of me thinks that current Sony doesn't have it in itself and lacks any form of a general strong direction, to do something with Vita against smartphones. But it can weaken 3DS considerably if it sells somewhat well, if they don't think through it.

What I wish is either a very strong Sony and Nintendo that can push the market, or a weak Sony or Nintendo that can only pose a remote threat to the other to make it evolve, like how since Google+ started Facebook has had some very major advancements. I just want to both stay around, I want my buttons to stay around, I want my SotC and Mario stay around :(

BurntPork

Banned
Takao said:
No we won't, the west doesn't care about Sony's exclusive franchises like they do Nintendo's, and the spinoffs they get from third parties won't be good enough, or marketed well enough to make an impact.

I initially expected Vita to have a shot at outselling the 3DS in Japan, but I wasn't expecting the price collapse and the software barrage Nintendo had planned. So if someone quotes me in some "lol look how stupid they were" post, I will seek revenge, haha.
It depends on whether or not smartphones have really stolen away the causal audience. If they have, then they'll both end up trying to appeal to console gamers, and Vita has every advantage there, thanks to shipping with dual analog, console graphics, and an actually usable online system. Plus, Call of Duty. (I'm sure 3DS will get that too, but Vita's version will be better in every way.)

Instro

Heck of an opening for Dark Souls, good for From Software. Pretty interesting compared to the sales of Demon's Souls; Japanese gamers must have realized their folly in not buying the original game. It's pretty rare that a game opens with higher first week sales than its predecessors LTD. Does a games success in other regions ever reverberate back to Japan, in terms of contributing to a sequel's sales like with Demon's Souls/Dark Souls?

Also wow at the Senran Kagura sales. Marvelous must be pretty thrilled by that opening. It probably contributed to the uptick in 3DS sales a little bit. Price cut is certainly doing its job, particularly with the uptick over the last 2 weeks, considering not much has been released.

Instro said:
Heck of an opening for Dark Souls, good for From Software. Pretty interesting compared to the sales of Demon's Souls; Japanese gamers must have realized their folly in not buying the original game. It's pretty rare that a game opens with higher first week sales than its predecessors LTD. Does a games success in other regions ever reverberate back to Japan, in terms of contributing to a sequel's sales like with Demon's Souls/Dark Souls?

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Demon's Souls had a very low-key release and had a huge word-of-mouth increase both in Japan and worldwide (35+k first week > 160+k LTD + 60+k Reprint sales)

Top Bottom