• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2014 (Sep 15 - Sep 21)

Would Hyrule Warriors's success outside of Japan affect Koei Tecmo's financials?

Depends on the contracts, if they get royalties from overseas sales then obviously yes, if they don't then not directly but it could increase the chances of a sequel which they could then make money from in Japan

Mory Dunz

Hm, I don't see it right now. We've only seen one week of Europe, and legs will be needed to overcome Japan's small contribution.

And North America would have to pick up a lot of slack too. Like... 200k or more.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I can't imagine Koei Tecmo signed a deal where they don't get notable royalties per every copy sold given they have the upper hand in this relationship on the basis that Nintendo needs Wii U games and Koei Tecmo doesn't need Wii U games.

My personal suspicion though is just that the expectations aren't especially high so when it does above those it raises the results.

Koei Tecmo isn't a big company so it doesn't take a lot to move their fiscal results around.

Oregano

I can't imagine Koei Tecmo signed a deal where they don't get notable royalties per every copy sold given they have the upper hand in this relationship on the basis that Nintendo needs Wii U games and Koei Tecmo doesn't need Wii U games.

My personal suspicion though is just that the expectations aren't especially high so when it does above those it raises the results.

Koei Tecmo isn't a big company so it doesn't take a lot to move their fiscal results around.

I doubt they have the upper hand to any real extent. Nintendo has been providing them with steady work for the last couple of years and Pokémon Conquest and Hyrule Warriors will probably provide decent returns based on sales volume alone.

I think letting KT publish the game in Japan was probably enough to sweeten the deal. Hyrule Warriors didn't sell amazingly but you've got to consider that KT likely has no development costs to earn back.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I doubt they have the upper hand to any real extent. Nintendo has been providing them with steady work for the last couple of years and Pokémon Conquest and Hyrule Warriors will probably provide decent returns based on sales volume alone.

I think letting KT publish the game in Japan was probably enough to sweeten the deal. Hyrule Warriors didn't sell amazingly but you've got to consider that KT likely has no development costs to earn back.

Well, in the normal publisher-developer relationship, a publisher pays the development cost and the developer basically never sees a dime of any sort of royalty, so then their statement would have to apply 100% to Japanese sales.

Even if they're getting like $5-$10 a copy that's vastly more than almost any independent developer would get from their publisher unless they were the absolute cream of the crop.

That said, the vast majority of deals aren't a publisher lending their development team to another publisher.

What about Fatal Frame? Would they make more from that as they own the IP, but Nintendo published it in Japan, or from Hyrule Warriors as they published that in Japan but Nintendo owns the IP? Hmm...

Oregano

Well, in the normal publisher-developer relationship, a publisher pays the development cost and the developer basically never sees a dime of any sort of royalty, so then their statement would have to apply 100% to Japanese sales.

Even if they're getting like $5-$10 a copy that's vastly more than almost any independent developer would get from their publisher unless they were the absolute cream of the crop.

That said, the vast majority of deals aren't a publisher lending their development team to another publisher.

Well I assume they are getting royalties on every copy sold(in the west as well) I just think any money will be made on the basis that they expect it to sell 850K in the west and not only them having an exceptionally strong royalty rate.

Likewise Namco Bandai probably jumped at the chance to work on Smash Bros based on the sales volume of the series.

EDIT: Which is why the game is Hyrule Warriors and not Fire Emblem Warriors.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Depends on the contracts, if they get royalties from overseas sales then obviously yes, if they don't then not directly but it could increase the chances of a sequel which they could then make money from in Japan

I wonder if they can reach the 1 million goal.

It seems to be doing well in Europe.

TK obviously receive money from the game. The contracts change the amount, but I cant see an agreement where they dont receive anything

about the million mark, I cant see that happening. If Japanese sales would have been around 300k maybe..

Celine

Koei Tecmo is in a weak spot.
They desperately need someone to fund their games or licenses to sell their games.
In the current climate (with raising costs) their biggest seller (which usually top 1-2 million at best) can't carry them.

Project Zero is a series which can't survive without Nintendo.
Musou is being crossed with other more popular IPs like Dragon Quest, Zelda or One Piece.
Their higher profile titles Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden can at best achieve 1-2 million in sales (actually DoA5 transitioned to F2P).

sörine

Banned

Not only is this not the normal developer-publisher relationship because Koei Tecmo is itself a publisher, but there's also a brand crossover here. It's really more like Mario & Sonic Olympics or Pokémon Conquest than it is a purely contracted game like Wonderful 101 or Metroid: Other M.

I'd agree KT likely has significantly more leeway than the usual contracted developer but that's more to do with who they are and what they bring than it is any deficit on Nintendo's part. And I'm not sure they even bring enough bargaining power to really have "the upper hand" either.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would consider basically any relationship in which you can get a royalty instead of just the budget to be an upper hand when that's not the way the vast majority of scenarios work.

Obviously they're not dictating the exact nature of the product and the deal to Nintendo, but I feel they almost assuredly have a lot more strength than say Ubisoft signing a random developer.

I realize the term might paint a more drastic picture than I mean to imply.

Oregano

I would consider basically any relationship in which you can get a royalty instead of just the budget to be an upper hand when that's not the way the vast majority of scenarios work.

Obviously they're not dictating the exact nature of the product and the deal to Nintendo, but I feel they almost assuredly have a lot more strength than say Ubisoft signing a random developer.

I think that comes with the territory of hiring a publisher owned developer though. It will likely apply exactly the same to DQ Heroes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think that comes with the territory of hiring a publisher owned developer though. It will likely apply exactly the same to DQ Heroes.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant to imply.

A publisher wants to go after opportunities that earn a good amount of money whereas an independent developer just wants to stay open.

As such, you can usually get a number of concessions that wouldn't have to be given out to a regular independent developer in order to partner up.

Therefore, I feel it's quite likely they're earning money off of Western sales as part of their contract, since otherwise it likely would have made sense to sign a different partnership where they could make royalties or invest in another IP or musou branch they own.

Koei Tecmo is in a weak spot.
They desperately need someone to fund their games or licenses to sell their games.
In the current climate (with raising costs) their biggest seller (which usually top 1-2 million at best) can't carry them.

Project Zero is a series which can't survive without Nintendo.
Musou is being crossed with other more popular IPs like Dragon Quest, Zelda or One Piece.
Their higher profile titles Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden can at best achieve 1-2 million in sales (actually DoA5 transitioned to F2P).

Koei is actually in best shape they ever been. Their stock is up 70% compared to last year and they are seeing big growth in China/Asia

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/20...overseas-sales-growth-from-se-asia-china.html

They expect overseas sales to accounts for 30% of their revenue next FY. They are slowly turning into a global company and been hiring lots of people outside Japan

Koei Tecmo has about 200 developers and support staff in China, 100 more in Vietnam and about 80 people based in Singapore, and seeks to increase overseas workforce by about a third next year, he said.

NotLiquid

Same here. Maybe Zero Escape needs a mascot :p

Zero Escape needs a budget. As good as the games are they feel rather cheaply produced when compared to the likes of Danganronpa. I think they even admitted that VLR got 3D models because it was the cheaper solution, and even the end results for those weren't all that great.

That and it's rather "raw and gritty" approach probably isn't too popular with the Japanese regions, though it probably helped the cult following it has in the west in comparison.

Takao

Banned
sörine;132147638 said:
Zelda Musou did pretty well for a Wii U game, and it was the best Musou debut this gen by a good bit, but in absolute terms I think it's quite low by historical Musou standards. I feel like the same sort of game would've done 200k+ on Wii or even Gamecube possibly in the first couple years. It also probably would've done a lot better on 3DS even if significantly cut back.

What?

edit: Oh, I forgot who I was replying to. Sorine has a "unique" way of reporting Warriors sales. By "this gen," he's referring to just PS4 (maybe Vita too) and Wii U. Comparing late ports on PS4 to an exclusive, while simultaneously ignoring all of the PS3 releases post-Wii U isn't distorting the truth at all.

sörine

Banned

I realize the term might paint a more drastic picture than I mean to imply.
Okay that makes sense. By "upper hand" I'd assumed you meant in terms of the relationship (with Nintendo) directly not comparably versus the usual contracted developer/publisher agreement, and one that would equate to holding a majority of power between parties. Nintendo did literally dictate the nature of the game (Musou with Zelda skin), they held oversight and they're publishing where it's going to do the vast majority of sales worldwide so I'd assume they still held more power in this specific relationship at the end of the day.

This agreement doesn't seem too usual for Nintendo either, they've recently entered into similar brand collaborations with Sega, Bandai Namco, Atlus, Spike Chunsoft and even Koei Tecmo themselves before. They do seem like sort of a leader in this area though, at least among major global publishers.

sörine

Banned
What?

edit: Oh, I forgot who I was replying to. Sorine has a "unique" way of reporting Warriors sales. By "this gen," he's referring to just PS4 (maybe Vita too) and Wii U. Comparing late ports on PS4 to an exclusive, while simultaneously ignoring all of the PS3 releases post-Wii U isn't distorting the truth at all.
when I say this generation I'm referring only to hardware cycles. That doesn't seem to be to be a really unique interpretation either, although it certainly seems to rub you the wrong way in this instance. Does it usually?

Kandinsky

What?

So when he says 'this gen', he really means 'this gen', shocking.

sorine actually forgot a compelling addition; Samurai Warriors Chronicles 1 and 2nd on 3DS.

SWC: 43,044 / 155,059
SWC 2nd: 35,806 / 68,360

Hyrule Warriors still debuted higher than both of those and those were also exclusives, hell SWC was a launch title (I say this as some argue launch titles benefit greatly from "launch hype".

Edit: Just for the hell of it:

Hyrule Warriors: 78,773 / 114,252

Edit: Fixed both SWC numbers due to japanltdranking having up-to-date numbers.

What?

How many hardware are in "this gen"? Because PS4, PSV, 3DS and Wii U are the only ones I can think of (Xbox One is non-existent in Japan right now).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sörine;132185213 said:
Okay that makes sense. By "upper hand" I'd assumed you meant in terms of the relationship (with Nintendo) directly not comparably versus the usual contracted developer/publisher agreement, and one that would equate to holding a majority of power between parties. Nintendo did literally dictate the nature of the game (Musou with Zelda skin), they held oversight and they're publishing where it's going to do the vast majority of sales worldwide so I'd assume they still held more power in this specific relationship at the end of the day.

This agreement doesn't seem too usual for Nintendo either, they've recently entered into similar brand collaborations with Sega, Bandai Namco, Atlus, Spike Chunsoft and even Koei Tecmo themselves before. They do seem like sort of a leader in this area though, at least among major global publishers.

I feel this happened because it works well for the unique case of the vendor and publishers in question.

Like a lot of these publishers have staff they can't put to notably great use, and Nintendo has more IPs than they can leverage effectively and consistently.

Making Smash doesn't make sense when you can make Call of Duty or Batman or Far Cry instead, but it makes a lot of sense when your best selling series is Tekken.

Giving Smash to an outside publisher to develop also makes a lot of sense when it's going to get the game done faster and better than actually handling it internally as well, especially when you never really had a longstanding dedicated team to manage the franchise.

Similarly teaming up Sonic with Mario works well for both parties (Sonic still has some solid draw in various regions, Mario needs no explanation), and it's not like Sega has all that much else going for them.

And with this case, obviously Zelda appeals to a lot of people internationally while Musou appeals to more people domestically to an extent that the team-up actually works for them in terms of exposure even if it's not a slam dunk sales win.

I don't really see this kind of scenario existing more broadly though because Sony and Microsoft aren't overflowing with IPs compared to output and the few remaining major Western publishers are too big to actually need someone else's IP, especially if it has a major profit depreciation.

sörine

Banned
sorine actually forgot a compelling addition; Samurai Warriors Chronicles 1 and 2nd on 3DS.

SWC: 43,044 / 155,059
SWC 2nd: 35,806 / 68,360

Hyrule Warriors still debuted higher than both of those and those were also exclusives, hell SWC was a launch title (I say this as some argue launch titles benefit greatly from "launch hype".

Edit: Just for the hell of it:

Hyrule Warriors: 78,773 / 114,252

Edit: Fixed both SWC numbers due to japanltdranking having up-to-date numbers.
In fairness Koei forgot about it too.

Takao

Banned
what i'm saying is that wii u is a last gen console

No. I just think awarding Hyrule Warriors as having the best Warriors debut this gen is a bit pointless when the competition is a bunch of late ports. When you compare the game to all Warriors post-2012, its sales aren't the best.

sörine

Banned
I feel this happened because it works well for the unique case of the vendor and publishers in question.

Like a lot of these publishers have staff they can't put to notably great use, and Nintendo has more IPs than they can leverage effectively and consistently.

Making Smash doesn't make sense when you can make Call of Duty or Batman or Far Cry instead, but it makes a lot of sense when your best selling series is Tekken.

Giving Smash to an outside publisher to develop also makes a lot of sense when it's going to get the game done faster and better than actually handling it internally as well, especially when you never really had a longstanding dedicated team to manage the franchise.

Similarly teaming up Sonic with Mario works well for both parties (Sonic still has some solid draw in various regions, Mario needs no explanation), and it's not like Sega has all that much else going for them.

And with this case, obviously Zelda appeals to a lot of people internationally while Musou appeals to more people domestically to an extent that the team-up actually works for them in terms of exposure even if it's not a slam dunk sales win.

I don't really see this kind of scenario existing more broadly though because Sony and Microsoft aren't overflowing with IPs compared to output and the few remaining major Western publishers are too big to actually need someone else's IP, especially if it has a major profit depreciation.
I definitely agree with this, Nintendo's in a comparably unique situation where it makes more sense for them to leverage these kinds of deals. Nintendo also seems to only work with Japanese publishers on these co-branding/publishing projects though, I sort of wonder why that might be and if it's a reflection of their own priorities or their limits.

The only other deals like this from notable publishers I can really think of are Level 5's Layton/AA crossover, the various Musou extensions with Bandai Namco and Square Enix, and the other Mystery Dungeon spinoffs over the years. Are there any others?

sörine

Banned

No. I just think awarding Hyrule Warriors as having the best Warriors debut this gen is a bit pointless when the competition is a bunch of late ports. When you compare the game to all Warriors post-2012, its sales aren't the best.
The competition in this case also includes four non-ports (3 on 3DS, 1 on Vita) and several Vita day-and-date multiplatform releases. Late ports only account for around half the Musou this gen.

Just so we're not "distorting the truth" here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sörine;132193748 said:
I definitely agree with this, Nintendo's in a comparably unique situation where it makes more sense for them to leverage these kinds of deals. Nintendo also seems to only work with Japanese publishers on these co-branding/publishing projects though, I sort of wonder why that might be and if it's a reflection of their own priorities or their limits.

The only other deals like this from notable publishers I can really think of are Level 5's Layton/AA crossover, the various Musou extensions with Bandai Namco and Square Enix, and the other Mystery Dungeon spinoffs over the years. Are there any others?
Street Fighter versus Tekken comes to mind, as does Capcom vs SNK, but not many others.

Nintendo did publish a LEGO title and SiNG Party by Activision, and let Next Level work with their IPs, so I don't think they'd be opposed to a Western collaboration, but I'm not sure there's much interest on the Western publisher side since most of the ones who would have benefitted have shut down.

Oregano

sörine;132193748 said:

Technically SiNG Party would count. It was developed by an Activision owned developer. Really odd case there as it doesn't really leverage anyhing as a Nintendo game AFAIK.

EDIT: Oh yeah Lego City Undercover as well. I somehow forgot Warner was an actual publisher.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
sörine;132193748 said:

Where does Lego City Undercover sit in this (serious question)?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Technically SiNG Party would count. It was developed by an Activision owned developer. Really odd case there as it doesn't really leverage anyhing as a Nintendo game AFAIK.
They wanted Nintendo to partner for Skylanders too but they balked so they ended up going it themselves.

Activision's family and broad audience titles weren't doing so hot so they were looking to lower risk at the time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SiNG Party is also a good example of what I was saying earlier, because now the developer works on Call of Duty instead, since Activision has huge franchises they can put staff on.

sörine;132193748 said:
Don't know if this would be of any interest to your conversation but (going by memory) Nintendo published in Japan Ubisoft games like Rayman Legends, Just Dance and even Epic MIckey (Disney Int. from the Wii days). Going as back as the GameCube days, NIntendo lend some of it's character IP to EA, by having cameos of Mario characters in some of it arcade type sports games like NBA Street. SO the have been onto this from quite some time.

Not to derail the thread but generations are based on time not technology. Hyrule Warriors is the best Warriors debut this generation until something surpasses it. Those post-2012 Warriors sales were from a time when consoles were last in their prime.

sörine

Banned
Sing Party and LCU aren't what I'm talking about, those are simply a contracted 1st party game and a 3rd party exclusive produced by a 1st party. What I'm talking about are branded IP collaborations and sometimes with regionally split publishing duties.

Street Fighter versus Tekken comes to mind, as does Capcom vs SNK, but not many others.

Nintendo did publish a LEGO title and SiNG Party by Activision, and let Next Level work with their IPs, so I don't think they'd be opposed to a Western collaboration, but I'm not sure there's much interest on the Western publisher side since most of the ones who would have benefitted have shut down.
I forgot all the fighter crossovers! The SNK/Capcom ones were so long ago I'd probably discount them as not recent enough though. Nintendo and Konami also did a Mario DDR game way back as well. And actually the other Mystery Dungeon crossovers (Torneko, Chocobo, Druaga) are probably too old too now.

Tekken/SF is a good one though!

Not to derail the thread but generations are based on time not technology. Hyrule Warriors is the best Warriors debut this generation until something surpasses it. Those post-2012 Warriors sales were from a time when consoles were last in their prime.

Which is a worthless factoid.

Scum

So no Turok 2: Seeds of Evil Remaster then? :-(

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Huh? The Wii U is definitely not "last-gen" lol. I think all that Sorine is saying is that the Warriors franchise hasn't really found a successor console for its PS3 audience (b/w 3DS, Vita, PS4 & Wii U) yet.

Thus after Hyrule they are trying DQ Musou (PS4, PS3, PSV), Samurai Chronicles 3rd (PSV, 3DS, PSV looking like lead platform), and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (PS4, PS3, PSV). We'll see how these do I guess, but so far the titles have done terribly on PS4 and bad at best on Vita.

3DS:
3DS Samurai Warriors Chronicles 43,044 155,059 Koei Tecmo 2011-02-26
3DS Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd 35,806 68,360 Koei Tecmo 2012-09-13
3DS Dynasty Warriors VS 15,607 45,870 Koei Tecmo 2012-04-26

multiplats:
WIU Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper 6,184 35,000 Koei Tecmo 2012-12-08 - late port
PS3 Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate 82,986 146,165 Koei Tecmo 2013-09-26
PS4 Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate 7,129 11,852 Koei Tecmo 2014-06-26 - late port
PSV Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate 24,825 48,225 Koei Tecmo 2013-09-26

PS3 One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 269,035 407,132 Bandai Namco 2013-03-20
PSV One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 54,509 103,757 Bandai Namco 2013-03-20

PSV Samurai Warriors 4 43,545 92,722 Koei Tecmo 2014-03-20
PS3 Samurai Warriors 4 149,068 251,807 Koei Tecmo 2014-03-20
PS4 Samurai Warriors 4 10,672 17,395 Koei Tecmo 2014-09-04 - simultaneous release

PS3 Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends 36,588 59,169 Koei Tecmo 2013-11-28
PSV Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends 11,627 11,627 Koei Tecmo 2013-11-28
PS4 Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends 13,576 40,823 Koei Tecmo 2014-02-22 - late port of poorly selling expansion

Vita:
PSV Dynasty Warriors Next 32,044 80,052 Koei Tecmo 2011-12-17

Wii U:
WIU Hyrule Warriors 78,773 119,948 Koei Tecmo 2014-08-14 - original

PS3 Warriors games since 2012:
PS3 One Piece: Pirate Warriors 627,214 828,132 Bandai Namco 2012-03-01
PS3 Dynasty Warriors 8 213,338 371,531 Koei Tecmo 2013-02-28
PS3 Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn 113,493 214,225 Bandai Namco 2013-12-19
PS3 Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires 67,358 103,800 Koei Tecmo 2012-11-08

Top Bottom