• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2014 (Sep 15 - Sep 21)

Takao

Banned
That Wii U comment was a joke ...

Hyrule Warriors is the first Warriors console game without a last-gen version released prior. Of course it would have the best current-gen debut. Warriors Orochi Hyper once held that crown too. That's why it's a pointless thing to bring up given the context of what's currently available on those machines.

I think TK's transition is pretty clear: they're going to PS4. I'm not sure HW had a shot at influencing anything. Empires isn't a high seller, but being the first simultaneous release on PS4 should allow it to show growth over the other entries on the machine. As you said, I guess they're banking on OP and DQ to jumpstart the userbase before they commit.

mao2

sörine;132201866 said:
I'd say more a pathetic one. Musou's done so much worse this gen than last out the gates. PSP, PS3 and even Wii completely stomped everything this cycle.
The transition of Warriors titles to current-gen is much slower this time due to cross-gen and more multi-platform releases.

In the previous generation, PS3 had Gundam Warriors, Dynasty Warriors 6 and others released on it first. Wii also had Samurai Warriors 3 which was exclusive for a period of time. Fans were forced to buy new consoles to play them. This generation however, both PS4 and WiiU only got late ports so far. Most people wouldn't want to repurchase games that they've already played months ago, let alone a new console. The only exception is Hyrule Warriors, and not surprisingly, it sold the most.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
That Wii U comment was a joke ...

Hyrule Warriors is the first Warriors console game without a last-gen version released prior. Of course it would have the best current-gen debut. Warriors Orochi Hyper once held that crown too. That's why it's a pointless thing to bring up given the context of what's currently available on those machines.

I think TK's transition is pretty clear: they're going to PS4. I'm not sure HW had a shot at influencing anything. Empires isn't a high seller, but being the first simultaneous release on PS4 should allow it to show growth over the other entries on the machine. As you said, I guess they're banking on OP and DQ to jumpstart the userbase before they commit.

The only platform that hasn't had an exclusive is the PS4 btw. Vita had Dynasty Warriors Next. 3DS had Samurai Chronicles & SC 2nd. Wii U now has Hyrule Warriors.

L~A

So, looks like there's been some sort of "controversies" regarding Youkai Watch recently (it was bound to happen).

Apparently, some kids now just keep saying "it's the fault of a Youkai!" every time they do something bad. Didn't do your homework? It's because of a Youkai! Why don't you want to eat your vegetables? It's because of a Youkai.

Looks like some parents are getting exasperated and are complaining... though I doubt it's quite serious just now. It's quite interesting, though not unexpected: pretty much all big kids franchise stuff faced some controversies at some point.

I really wonder if it'll have any impact on the franchise as a whole, or if it'll get worse or not.

Source

Darius

Banned
So, looks like there's been some sort of "controversies" regarding Youkai Watch recently (it was bound to happen).

Apparently, some kids now just keep saying "it's the fault of a Youkai!" every time they do something bad. Didn't do your homework? It's because of a Youkai! Why don't you want to eat your vegetables? It's because of a Youkai.

Looks like some parents are getting exasperated and are complaining... though I doubt it's quite serious just now. It's quite interesting, though not unexpected: pretty much all big kids franchise stuff faced some controversies at some point.

I really wonder if it'll have any impact on the franchise as a whole, or if it'll get worse or not.

Source

This is pretty common for popular things, I remember that in the 90s there was the biggest giornal newspaper in my country with a very active concern-trolling campaign against Pokemon, the funny thing is that after a while the same newspaper had a marketing-deal with Nintendo and they had a different Pokemon on their front page for several weeks.

Celine

Koei is actually in best shape they ever been. Their stock is up 70% compared to last year and they are seeing big growth in China/Asia

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/20...overseas-sales-growth-from-se-asia-china.html

They expect overseas sales to accounts for 30% of their revenue next FY. They are slowly turning into a global company and been hiring lots of people outside Japan
Good for their expansion on mobile gaming.
I still doubt KT has a bright future for the "traditional" console gaming (Project Zero, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Musou).

hiska-kun

From tomorrow night I'm going to Osaka and Kyoto for sightseeing so I won't be able to check shops.
So, I'll give you my last present about the situation in Tokyo (I visited 6 shops in Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro).

New Commercial for New 3DS already started in shops
8D54934F-E56D-4E31-B487-F8D21414C176_zpsgz5jbkfy.jpg

57B77E41-878B-4C4B-AED5-1B77DF67A08B_zpszixryjtr.jpg

The stands are getting ready.
DFB16A2E-480F-486A-85A7-2E5073D23FA0_zpse3btix3g.jpg

Finally I had the chance to try New 3DS
0D16E0CE-F791-49CA-8E01-D642F0BC9841_zpsqiamkpnc.jpg

It seems pre-orders for New 3DS (XL model) are already closed in Yodabashi Camera (予約終了)
4933C237-1250-4B1F-803E-38647C23AC50_zpsu9ajzqlj.jpg

The sold out games for the week are DanganRonpa and Smash Bros again (only available in one shop).
1B7351C6-BD95-4BB0-B534-CAC28AFB8A7D_zpswmmlitqu.jpg

We don't know Fatal Frame's sellthrough, but at least one shop didn't have stock. (品切れ中)
76F1C5B0-EF55-46DC-A8A0-DC2DFFBA62FC_zps1ghrq53a.jpg

Nintendo's plan worked. Some shops are running out of stock of old 3DS models.
04A7D592-D5B4-4BF8-B30A-4A0AAF91C389_zps70d1qlqs.jpg

Tsutaya will open at 7:00 the day Monster Hunter and Pokemon releases. I'll be there for photos :)
405AF5FB-DF37-4F89-A05B-137C0A757F04_zpsxvpuinrw.jpg

Our secret blog is already using this, for bomba's releases.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=131705612

Nintendo is really going to steal the holidays.

SSB + MH4G + N3DS/XL + PKMN and the long-lasting effect of YW2 are a combo no one would have expected at the beginning of the year. SSB was also more successful than every prediction and it seems it was the right game to push hw sales before the launch of the revisions.

L~A

^

Magna comes out this Thursday. So it won't be listed this week, but next Wednesday (Oct. 8).

From tomorrow night I'm going to Osaka and Kyoto for sightseeing so I won't be able to check shops.
So, I'll give my last present about the situation in Tokyo (I visited 6 shops in Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro)

Our secret blog is already using this, for bomba's releases.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=131705612

Hopefully some of your sightseeing includes a couple games shop, right? ;)

Just kidding, enjoy your trip!

By the way, surprise of the day! Watch_Dogs Wii U is now entering the competition for the title of Bomba of the Year. Coming out on Dec. 4 in Japan.

PS4 Samurai Warriors 4 10,672 17,395 Koei Tecmo 2014-09-04 - simultaneous release

What was this a simultaneous release with? It was 6 months late compared to the Vita/PS3 versions.

To Sales Gaffers, when is Kinki no Magna coming out? Is it going to be listed this week or next one?

It releases in 3 days, so next week.

The sold out games for the week are DanganRonpa and Smash Bros again (only available in one shop).

DanganRonpa sold out? Gasp. I'm happy it's selling so well at least.

crinale

Yeah that SE wanting to release DQX on PS4 thing is spreading quite quickly in Japan lol.
Before September no one would ever even guessed about it.

Edit. It looks like SE was having live stream at Niconico and the producer said he want to do it. However just the guy wanting to do it doesn't mean it's coming (personally I don't think it is either but he just wanted to emphasize SE shooting for putting some effort to PS4).

L~A

Edit. It looks like SE was having live stream at Niconico and the producer said he want to do it. However just the guy wanting to do it doesn't mean it's coming (personally I don't think it is either but he just wanted to emphasize SE wanting to put some effort to PS4).

But of course it's coming. Don't think there's place for doubt here. Whatever deal with Nintendo there was, it's either over or there wasn't any such deal to begin with, I dunno.

At this point, they should just go ahead and confirm DQXI is a PS4 (exclusive, most likely) game and be done with it.

sörine

Banned
The transition of Warriors titles to current-gen is much slower this time due to cross-gen and more multi-platform releases.

In the previous generation, PS3 had Gundam Warriors, Dynasty Warriors 6 and others released on it first. Wii also had Samurai Warriors 3 which was exclusive for a period of time. Fans were forced to buy new consoles to play them. This generation however, both PS4 and WiiU only got late ports so far. Most people wouldn't want to repurchase games that they've already played months ago, let alone a new console. The only exception is Hyrule Warriors, and not surprisingly, it sold the most.
I'm not just talking about home console or simply the late ports (which have sold like they were Xbox 360 games or something, it's difficult to really excuse sales that low under any circumstances). For example:

Dynasty Warriors (PSP) 286,274

Samurai Warriors Chronicles (3DS) 150,080
Dynasty Warriors Next (Vita) 74,718
Hyrule Warriors (Wii U) 114,252

3DS, Vita, Wii U, PS4 and even Xbox One each got day 1 Musou. Last gen only PSP and 360 did. Vita in less than 3 years already has as many Musou releases as PSP managed in 5 years. PS4 is doubling PS3 in aligned Musou releases and Wii didn't even get one until it was 3 years old while Wii U already has 3 before it's second birthday. The Musou transition this gen might be slower in some respects, but the ramp up has been much much faster.

I don't think I'm alone in noticing the sales decline either. It feels a bit like Koei's scrambling.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah that SE wanting to release DQX on PS4 thing is spreading quite quickly in Japan lol.
Before September no one would ever even guessed about it.

Edit. It looks like SE was having live stream at Niconico and the producer said he want to do it. However just the guy wanting to do it doesn't mean it's coming (personally I don't think it is either but he just wanted to emphasize SE shooting for putting some effort to PS4).

Actually thats what it means more or less - he wouldnt comment on a PS4 version if they didnt have already plans in place.

Semms like DQ is really coming back to Playstation and its the first time since the PS2 that SE have their big 3 (FF,KH and DQ) on one system.

Busaiku

It'll be interesting to see how it does.
Unless it's an MMO again, it'll likely be the first title in some time under 3 million. Since the original game maybe?

crinale

But of course it's coming. Don't think there's place for doubt here. Whatever deal with Nintendo there was, it's either over or there wasn't any such deal to begin with, I dunno.

At this point, they should just go ahead and confirm DQXI is a PS4 (exclusive, most likely) game and be done with it.

Actually thats what it means more or less - he wouldnt comment on a PS4 version if they didnt have already plans in place.

Semms like DQ is really coming back to Playstation and its the first time since the PS2 that SE have their big 3 (FF,KH and DQ) on one system.

Actually, what I wanted to really say was DQX still may not be coming. He wanted to hint DQ may be coming to PS4 in the future but at the same time DQX is not coming to PS4 (hence he said he want to do it).

Edit: However, back then when Wii version came out I assumed Nintendo is hosting the server (the manual had phone support number that of Nintendo), but it turned out to be playable on PC later as well. May be it is coming to PS4 after all.

cw_sasuke

Unless it's an MMO again, it'll likely be the first title in some time under 3 million.

They will probably charge 9-10K Yen for a PS4 DQ game.

The need for a DQ maingame selling +4 million might not be the case anymore since they have consistent income from the IP anyway with DQX online, Classic DQ games as well as f2P DQ Monsters on mobiles and good selling 3DS spin-offs.

So yeah 2016 PS4 release sounds more and more likely.

Actually, what I wanted to really say was DQX still may not be coming. He wanted to hint DQ may be coming to PS4 in the future but at the same time DQX is not coming to PS4 (hence he said he want to do it).

Oh okay thats a different case alltogether - but this probably just means that the exclusive console Deal they had with Nintendo for DQX is still in place. If possible they would bring the game over to PS3/PS4 asap i think.

L~A

Edit: However, back then when Wii version came out I assumed Nintendo is hosting the server (the manual had phone support number that of Nintendo), but it turned out to be playable on PC later as well. May be it is coming to PS4 after all.

Oh, he meant the series in general, not DQX? Well, I dunno, that's pretty much a given at this point.

cw_sasuke

That's how much Dragon Quest VIII was, so it wouldn't be unusual or anything.

I didnt say it was ;-) Before the handheld DS game premium prices for DQ main games were the norm. So even if they sell less copies the game will cost at least 50 percent more than DQ9.

crinale

Oh, he meant the series in general, not DQX? Well, I dunno, that's pretty much a given at this point.

Oh it is like he said he personally want to release PS4 version of DQX, so I assumed in other words he is also implying he can't for some reason.

sörine

Banned
Unless it's an MMO again, it'll likely be the first title in some time under 3 million. Since the original game maybe?
DQV was the last (non-MMO) one under 3m.

Dragon Quest (FC) 1,500,000
Dragon Quest II (FC) 2,400,000
Dragon Quest III (FC) 3,800,000
Dragon Quest IV (FC) 3,100,000
Dragon Quest V(SFC) 2,800,000
Dragon Quest VI (SFC) 3,190,000
Dragon Quest VII (PS) 3,893,293
Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) 3,555,469
Dragon Quest IX (DS) 4,155,855
Dragon Quest X (Wii+Wii U+3DS, retail only) 804,210

crinale

I searched how many PC version have sold for DQX (all versions share same servers BTW) but only found an announcement that SE manged to ship 1M copies (digital included), including PC version.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While I'm not going to do every game since that's a bit time consuming and they usually get threads or information in the thread anyway, would people still like me to cover the newer mobile games (especially the bigger ones) as they get announced?

I ask since I notice some previews are starting to come out about what people actually showed off in TGS conferences on the mobile front, since most places focused on console game reporting at the actual time.

I might do a slightly different format since I can't read Japanese and some of these are probably better explained in a different format. I can try to do a more informative job with less titles to boot.

Huh, why was Dragon Quest V so low?

It looks like it was released somewhat early in the system's lifecycle. It's not a huge discrepancy so I imagine that might have something to do with it given the number of used copies that should be available as later buyers came in.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't think, if the current situation goes on like this, the next main Dragon Quest will be a PS4 exclusive. If it's really an MMO (which would make the game coming to PS4 a much bigger possibility), I think we'll still see versions for other platforms, like PC and next gen Nintendo handheld.

cw_sasuke

I don't think, if the current situation goes on like this, the next main Dragon Quest will be a PS4 exclusive. If it's really an MMO (which would make the game coming to PS4 a much bigger possibility), I think we'll still see versions for other platforms, like PC and next gen Nintendo handheld.

They already have an MMO in place with DQX - dont expect a new for the next 5 years. I dont see any reason to abandon DQX this generation.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
DQXI a single player RPG? Didn't know that.

...If that's the case, I don't know why it'd be for PS4, then. The console probably won't have the installed base for DQXI selling 3 millions in Japan, and surely it's not aimed at the West.

crinale

...If that's the case, I don't know why it'd be for PS4, then. The console probably won't have the installed base for DQXI selling 3 millions in Japan, and surely it's not aimed at the West.

Maybe for this time they are aiming too? Also, SE may like the higher retail price of console version I suppose.

wrowa

Not that we need them to say it. They aren't going to have two concurrent DQ MMOs at this point when DQX is only 2 years old.

Well, there's still a lot of room between "single player RPG" and "MMO". It doesn't need to be either one or the other.

El Topo

They're putting all their other eggs in one basket, might as well add DQ XI.

duckroll

Well, there's still a lot of room between "single player RPG" and "MMO". It doesn't need to be either one or the other.

I think for story driven RPGs it's pretty much one or the other. If it's not a MMO, multiplayer is significantly less meaningful. A game could support it, but the core focus would still be the single player experience.

Top Bottom