• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2015 (Jan 19 - Jan 25)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Media Create:

Code:
Week  |   2013  |   2014  |   2015   | Change 2014 -> 2015 |
------------------------------------
Week 1| 279,259 | 176,555 |  153,166 | Down 13.2%          |
Week 2|  92,661 |  60,154 |   57,674 | Down 4.1%           |
Week 3|  81,855 |  47,438 |   44,229 | Down 6.8%           |
Week 4|  75,124 |  38,229 |   35,262 | Down 7.8%           |
Week 5|  77,682 |  37,462 |          |                     |
Week 6| 127,695 |  48,308 |          |                     |
Week 7|  97,971 |  39,716 |          |                     |
Week 8|  74,729 |  32,151 |          |                     |

So far the system is holding quite well, though we normally see a bit of an uptick around this point in the year (big releases often show up), so unless I'm blanking on a huge impending title, they might become less favorable.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Media Create:

Code:

So far the system is holding quite well, though we normally see a bit of an uptick around this point in the year (big releases often show up), so unless I'm blanking on a huge impending title, they might become less favorable.

Majora's Mask 3D is getting the bundle in Japan as well.

I thought OG Xbox had similar numbers to One. That really sux for MS.

It did in the sense that it too was considered awful at the time.

The gulf between Sony/Nintendo on one side and Microsoft on the other hasn't changed a huge deal, it's just the overall market that has shrunk. The definition of awful for console sales in Japan has changed.

MS haven't done themselves any favours by paying so little attention to the Japanese market though. They have never had a sustained push there, the best they did was early in the 360 where they commisioned exclusive/time exclusive rpg's like Blue Dragon and Tales of Vesperia, but they stopped bothering after a while.

Will it ever do that though?

Almost certainly not. Would require either an entirely new game become a breakout hit in Japan, or moneyhatting an existing popular franchise - but as can be seen from nintendo, even popular franchises can struggle. They'd require something on the level of DQ11.

It may just be the saturation point for the HW market in Japan right now.

We'll know for sure when a truly big game like KH3 or FXV hits the PS4. If it can drive HW sales over 100K then the PS4 will likely go on to strongly overtake the WiiU. If not the console market in general in Japan looks bleaker then ever.

My money's on the latter, so many Japanese companies have switched their focus to mobile I don't see anything in the pipe pulling them back. Where are all the mid tier games that sustain a platform between the megareleases?

I think that PS3/PS4 serve a different audience that the one that migrated to mobile games. People said the same about the X1/PS4 release in the west only to be meet with breaking record sales from both consoles and PS4 tracking to be one of the best selling consoles ever (all while being irrelevant in Japan and releasing months after the release in the west, which is a first time event as well). I think the mobile market hit will (and has) fall harder on the handheld devices, even in Japan where 3DS cannibalize part of the PSP market to add their own market to offset the part of the DS market that never got a 3DS because they moved to mobile gaming.

casiopao

Yeah, it looks like reception for The Legend of Legacy hasn't been too favorable.
Combined with stock issues, that could spell trouble.

Still, it's already FuRyu's most successful game ever, though I imagine the budget's much greater than other games.

I would not said it is totally unfavorable however it is more on polarizing as there are those coming to the game looking for SAGA style or older classic rpg style of game had been loving the game.

Meanwhile, those looking for Bravely Default experience is not too happy.T_T

Atelier didn't do that well, it seems.

I don't know what to make of it. It's up about 4k on Ayesha Plus' first week, and that was enough to make them do Escha&Logy Plus. At the very least, Shallie Plus will still happen (I wonder how low sales they'd have to see to cancel that, if they would at all).

At the rest of them - really pleasing for Legend of Legacy. That's a solid result for FuRyu at the very least, now to see whether they can build a franchise out of it (so legs will be the next indicator I guess).

Zesteria didn't do as badly as I thought either, which is pleasing, though the drop next week will be amusing.

I'm most pleased for Stranger of Sword City though. For a self-published title by Experience, seeing it selling as well as their 5pb or Cyberfront-published stuff is nice. Good for them.

Hardware is another story. Pretty horrific all round, particularly WiiU.

FluxWaveZ

I'd want to know what the people in Japan (non-expats) bought an Xbox One for. They must be a devoted bunch to a very specific type or series of games. 5pb visual novels, Shmups and Halo?

Cornbread78

Maybe it's smaller than US & UK combined, but I don't think it's significantly smaller since PS3 managed to outsell Xbox 360 by relying on that market & RotW,

It would be interesting if there was anyway to break down the UK sales numbers compared to the RoEU numbers for comparison of both PS3 sales as well as teh past couple Tales games. It would make this a much more compelling conversation, lol.

I think that PS3/PS4 serve a different audience that the one that migrated to mobile games. People said the same about the X1/PS4 release in the west only to be meet with breaking record sales from both consoles and PS4 tracking to be one of the best selling consoles ever (all while being irrelevant in Japan and releasing months after the release in the west, which is a first time event as well). I think the mobile market hit will (and has) fall harder on the handheld devices, even in Japan where 3DS cannibalize part of the PSP market to add their own market to offset the part of the DS market that never got a 3DS because they moved to mobile gaming.

I'm not so sure about that - we've seen the trend towards handhelds even before mobile was so big. We'll know for sure in a year or so, but I suspect unless mobile gaming falls flat on its face, the console hardware market will be permanently shrunk.

Fisico

So basically...something that you can't prove. There's a lot of unknown variables.

You can't say with confidence that a PS4 version wouldn't add 60k to the first week sales. 160k? Not likely.

You can just have a look at the few examples of IP going PS3/PS4 and do a comparison of LTD sales compared to previous entries,

Assassin's Creed III PS3+360+WiiU <150k
Assassin's Creed Black Flag PS3+PS4+360+WiiU <120k

Winning Eleven 2014 PS3 ~300k
Winning Eleven 2015 PS3+PS4 <200k

Call of Duty Black Ops II PS3+360+WiiU >600k
Call of Duty Ghosts PS3+PS4+360+WiiU <400k

Dragon Age II PS3+360 ~40k
Dragon Age Inquisition PS3+PS4 >50k

And maybe the bigger one

Yakuza Kenzan PS3 270k
Yakuza 5 PS3 560k
Yakuza Isshin PS3+PS4 385k (255 PS3 130 PS4)

There aren't many more examples of PS3+PS4 multiplat.
I can think of Akiba's Trip and Guilty Gear where for the former the PS4 version was late and a huge bomb, and for the latter sales were rather average with PS3 version leading by a wide margin, there's also Far Cry 4 released this week but... well you see where the game stands in the chart.
Fact is just the PS4 isn't compensating at all for the lost PS3 software sales, and in case of multiplatforms the PS3 is always leading, often by a wide margin, and is having longer sales than the PS4 version which pretty much dissapears after the first week of sales.

I could also point to you every PS3+PSV games in a similar situation where every one of them also saw a decline from their predecessor whether it was a PS3 or a PSP only game.

Zestiria is in fact holding up rather decently all things considered

But by all means, if you have solid hard proof that a PS4 version would have helped to get, let's say, a FW higher than 350k feel free to do so, and don't hesitate to mail the people responsible at Bamco to show them all those lost sales and how a (likely) late PS4 port is such a bad idea (because that's probably the main reason you aren't seeing this version right now)

Bruno MB

Code:
[B]Tales of series on PlayStation 3[/B]

[PS3] Tales of Vesperia <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2009.09.17} (¥7.800) - 216.593 / 414.081
[PS3] Tales of Vesperia (PlayStation 3 the Best) <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.08.02} (¥3.800) - 7.738 / 78.499

Total - 492.580

[PS3] Tales of Graces f <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2010.12.02} (¥8.379) - 215.187 / 361.971   
[PS3] Tales of Graces f (PlayStation 3 the Best) <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.08.02} (¥3.800) - 3.948 / 36.350

Total - 398.321

[PS3] Tales of Xillia # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.09.08} (¥8.379) - 525.605 / 639.305   

[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.01} (¥8.380) - 364.439 / 450.808                

[PS3] Tales of Symphonia Chronicles <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.10.10} (¥6.980) - 77.228 / 103.314

[B][PS3] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.715) {2015.01.22} - 340.891 / NEW[/B]

Tales of Zestiria did okay. Probably have an LTD of 400-450k. Everyone is also expecting Tales of Zestiria on PS4 with a certain playable character.....

L~A

Wow... forgot how poorly Tales of Symphonia Chronicles actually sold. Somehow thought it had reached 200k LTF or something.

Vena

Woooooow, that Kirby number is horrible. I mean, I know it's on the Wii U, but I think this is the worst opening in franchise history. :(

Canvas Curse wasn't popular to begin with, I don't know why people expect its sequel to be either.

Maybe it will pull off some Admiral Toad legs.

Media Create:

Code:

I'm keep the numbers in a graph in QTI, should I put it up every week to see how the trends look? I honestly prefer graphical representations to numerics.

Canvas Curse wasn't popular to begin with, I don't know why people expect its sequel to be either.

Maybe it will pull off some Admiral Toad legs.

The game will have typical Kirby legs (....or should, who knows how the Wii U in Japan will disappoint this time), but Captain Toad had the holidays too.

I'm not so sure about that - we've seen the trend towards handhelds even before mobile was so big. We'll know for sure in a year or so, but I suspect unless mobile gaming falls flat on its face, the console hardware market will be permanently shrunk.

I am not saying the market isn't shrinking or has been shrunk to a portion of what it was in the past, I am saying that usually specific type of electronics tend to maintain their core audience or eat away the audiences of similar devices to stay on top.

For example, from gen 7 to 8 we have seen (and most likely are going to keep seeing) a shrink in the market, though that contradicts the accelerating pace of both the PS4 and X1 I think it comes to the fact that both system are trying to each each other out, so at the end of the day we are going to see shrining numbers as what the PS3+360 did in the past but with a different ratio but not the at the same percentage as the total market will be (most likely driven by the collapse from Wii sales to Wii U sales). PS4 now is cannibalizing the future X1 market, also I think that was the reason why MS was so desperate last holiday seasons to put X1 on the consumer hands even if it costed too much (price drop, bundles, etc etc).

I think Japan will be same at the end of this handheld generation/console generation. 3DS would have seen a fall of %30 or more compared to the DS, PS Vita will see a fall of %70 or more compared to the PSP. Consoles will look similar PS4 will see a drop of 20-25% compared to PS3 mostly offset by the fact that PS4 will eat away the audience of the 360 (which is something is already happening with the X1 completely failing in Japan) and the Wii U will see the hardest fall of over 60% or more which will be the driving force of "lost sales" this generation.

The mobile transition will/has hurt some markets more than others just like it already happen in the US and Europe.

small44

I don't think anyone predicted that it would sell 259 units a few months after launch.
I didn't predict how much it will sell but i knew that it will do worst then any other xbox consoles.

In other related Xbox One JP news it finally reached 45k LTD in Media Create. I think it's the worst console launch ever in Japan. Will it even reach 50k by it's first year in september?
It does better then The Apple Bandai Pippin
Apple Bandai Pippin sold 42k lifetime

sörine;149518967 said:
They should've done Symphonia 3DS instead.

Agreed.

Speaking of which, BriBri reports that a Tales of Phantasia theme has been released:

tumblr_inline_niv7rjftYT1rmjx4g.jpg

Didn't PSP get a port? Wonder if they'll bring that to 3DS ala Final Fantasy 1. An odd choice for a theme as it's pretty uncommon for 3DS IIRC to get a game-based theme that's not on it.

Elandyll

Banned
And people question why games being announced out of Japan lately lack an Xbox version.

Aye.

Only going to get worse for titles with a bigger Japanese orientation imo (I don't expect any titles like the REs or FFs to go single platform, but for smaller franchises?).

Even with MS basically dropping the Asia region (and seemingly putting all their eggs in the China adventure), I still wasn't expecting a consistantly sub 500 units a week in Japan (given the decent fanbase built in the 360 days), and particularly not a sub 300 unit (which I guess barely covers expat 360 fans?).

At this point keeping the Xbox in stores in Japan is probably merely a statement frankly, and costs more than not having it for sale.

PS4 is holding pretty well leading into the big month of March. I'm starting to wonder if the surge in 2015 may be bigger then some think. It seems to me to be poised to start selling very well once3 the software begins hitting continuously through this year.

Is there a firm release schedule yet for the various software hitting in Japan? DQ Heroes and Final Fantasy Type 0 HD and Bloodborne and such like that is all March. Will be interesting to see where everything else lands. Especially stuff like MGSV and Disgaea and Ys and Persona 5.

PS4 is holding pretty well leading into the big month of March. I'm starting to wonder if the surge in 2015 may be bigger then some think. It seems to me to be poised to start selling very well once3 the software begins hitting continuously through this year.

Is there a firm release schedule yet for the various software hitting in Japan? DQ Heroes and Final Fantasy Type 0 HD and Bloodborne and such like that is all March. Will be interesting to see where everything else lands. Especially stuff like MGSV and Disgaea and Ys and Persona 5.

Disgaea 5 is going to be released on the same day as bloodborne... RIP NIS

The problem is that a lot of the PS4's big games in Japan are also on PS3 and unlike in the west it seems most people in Japan are willing to just get the last gen version. Though to be fair MGSVGZ did surprisingly well on PS4 compared to the PS3 version with a much smaller install base than what it has now. Only time will tell.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think the confusion is less over games releasing in Japan and more over games releasing abroad, especially if they're abroad heavy.
Perhaps but consider Europe and general user base preferences when it comes to JP games, it's not hard to see why they are where they are.

small44

The problem is that a lot of the PS4's big games in Japan are also on PS3 and unlike in the west it seems most people in Japan are willing to just get the last gen version. Though to be fair MGSVGZ did surprisingly well on PS4 compared to the PS3 version with a much smaller install base than what it has now. Only time will tell.
I think Sony will bundled those games with ps4 so it's will boost ps4 more then ps3 but software wise it will sell better on ps3

LOCK

Kirby did as expected, but will have Kirby sized legs. The 3DS is basically flat and that is ok I guess.

And YAY at LoL.

Top Bottom