• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2016 (Jan 25 - Jan 31)

horuhe

Naruto's YSO predictions were made before DQBuilders first week numbers came out, and their numbers were underestimated. So, there're high chances that they've underestimated this week too.
That explains why their third week for builders is good now, it's like they're trying to fix their past weeks mistakes.
Good reading of the mistake. However, I think being a group of retailers they could have realized earlier about the short first shipment even before Builders numbers came out.

sense

90k for SMT4F would put it in the same ballpark as Persona 3 Fes. Considering how SMT4 sold more than Persona 3 did, and the Atlus brand is considered much stronger today, I would consider getting the same result for something that has more effort than Fes put into it and is being positioned as a bigger product, to be a disappointment.

i expect a wise man to refute you calling it a disappointment :)

casiopao

90k for SMT4F would put it in the same ballpark as Persona 3 Fes. Considering how SMT4 sold more than Persona 3 did, and the Atlus brand is considered much stronger today, I would consider getting the same result for something that has more effort than Fes put into it and is being positioned as a bigger product, to be a disappointment.

SMT is not persona at all though. So, the comparison is a bit not right i feel here. SMT is hardcore product which targeted niche market vs Persona which is now more align with mainstream fans. And also i disagree on being on higher budget here. Other than some new art for demons, new characters, and new story, the battle and most of the world map is recycled from the first one, so doing around 120k feel that it perform quite well.

It honestly amazes me after 2 years Chain Chronicle is still able to pull such a healthy figure for Sega. I think back in March last year it brought in close to $70 million so it should be about $100 million now. That should make it one of the company's most successful titles.

I wonder why they keep their Western mobile titles separate in this list though. Sonic Runners is a failure here but Sonic Dash 2 is considered a success and I'd be interested in knowing how much it's brought in for Sega.

I don't think that's the case, they've enjoyed success last generation on consoles and both Sonic Dash and Sonic Jump have registered good numbers to show the franchise can work on mobile. Sonic Dash 2 saw 6 million downloads between Oct - Dec so I disagree this is an issue of evolution, I feel this is an issue of a shabby product in the market.

Compared to what Sonic Runners was pre-launch, it was a lot more generous with content, allowed more lives and the amount of ads one had to watch to play the game was minimum. To me it definitely has been an issue of quality that has plagued these failed mobile titles from Sega and not a case of a fatigued brand.

Of course Nintendo console and it's the demograph aligns much more with Sonic's intended audience (Children) Sonic Heroes did phenomenally on the Playstation 2 but back then Sony enjoyed a decent amount of family friendly games on their consoles too and why the series enjoys so much success on mobile. Now is that audience there on the Playstation 4, PC and Xbox One to make up declining software sales on Nintendo's console? I'm sure Sega is hoping it is because relying solely on the Nintendo console/handheld is no longer going to be a viable option for them at this rate.

Thats what happen when SEGA put their mind properly on managing one IP here. They keep engaging their fans with tons of collaboration(like recent Valkyria Chronicles) to make more player wanting to spend money for the game. SEGA also launch a huge event called "final chapter" on chain chronicle this January which will starts the final story chapter for this game which probably will continue for this whole year which makes all its players being more eager to pull for the gacha.

I am sure that we already see how PS4 and X1 being unable to attract any children demographic here tx to Nintendo and smartphone market. Hell, didn't we see this with Sonic All Star Racing and lost world? However, here i feel Sonic biggest problem is not on demographic here but more on how Sonic Team loves to keep trying new things when some of the older idea can be further improve to make them special. Lets said Sonic Lost World here. The parkour system and wall running is all great mechanic which if is further polished plus better level design, it can become a really great product. This also is seen with How Sonic Color and Sonic Generation formula is seemingly forgotten even when the fans are craving for more of those kind of Sonic games.

In the end, i hope Sega would try to manage Sonic IP better here as it had almost given so much joy for me all this years.^^^

Arzehn

So apparently Gundam EXVS used games sales in Akihabara have seen a resurgence thanks to the recent updates.

duckroll

SMT is not persona at all though. So, the comparison is a bit not right i feel here. SMT is hardcore product which targeted niche market vs Persona which is now more align with mainstream fans. And also i disagree on being on higher budget here. Other than some new art for demons, new characters, and new story, the battle and most of the world map is recycled from the first one, so doing around 120k feel that it perform quite well.

Persona 3 sold 190k. Wow so mainstream.
SMT4 sold 250k. Wow so niche.

Persona 3 Fes is a re-release of the same game with a bonus epilogue quest which is just pure dungeon crawling + cutscenes with recycled enemies. Wow so high budget.
SMT4 If is a brand new game with new characters, new story, new demons, and recycles enemies and parts of the world map. Wow so low budget.

Mory Dunz

Persona 3 Fes is a re-release of the same game with a bonus epilogue quest which is just pure dungeon crawling + cutscenes with recycled enemies. Wow so high budget.
SMT4 If is a brand new game with new characters, new story, new demons, and recycles enemies and parts of the world map. Wow so low budget.

you applying for treehouse?

noobie

Banned
Week 5, 2016 (Feb 01 - Feb 07)

___

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final < 100k (average 90k)
02. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo < 40k (average 30k)
03. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo < 30k (average 25k)
00. [PS4] Valkyria Chronicles Remastered < 25k (average 20k)

should that not be PS4?

btw Feb 1 - Feb 7 should be 3rd week of DQB? right? that should be pretty high.. cuz for second week i think YSO predicted around same for DQB..

90k FW would be disappointing, but not an outright bomb. A good result would be, in my opinion, around 180k LTD, so an opening around 110-120k units. SMTIV sold 260k units and it's difficult to assess how many people are willing to come back - the game surely got a lot of praise and a good word-of-mouth but it was also released almost 3 years ago so this sort-of-sequel might be slightly out of time. This also considering the fact that Atlus hasn't cultivated the SMT fanbase much on 3DS after SMTIV - it was basically all EO and the porting / remake of DS2.

randomkid

Does FINAL have the same re-release connotations in Japanese as it does in English? I know some fans who are STILL unaware the game is actually a sequel and not some sort of expansion pack. It's mindboggling to me how bad the title is and I sure hope it gets switched for us.

Kanann

Playing smt4f now

Great game, hope it's sell well.
Sure will be less than original because it's seem to be direct sequel, not just spin off.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Naruto's YSO predictions were made before DQBuilders first week numbers came out, and their numbers were underestimated. So, there're high chances that they've underestimated this week too.
That explains why their third week for builders is good now, it's like they're trying to fix their past weeks mistakes.

Imagine if they overestimate third week now.

With 80k shipped for Japan YSO will be close with Naruto.

Fisico

Whoa what's the story here?
Is it meme heavy?

cwuifuxxaaag5p8pisnf.jpg

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
With Attack on Titan being the second collaboration in a row that fails after Arslan Musou I don't know if there is anything else left for Omega Force that can bring again big numbers.

Shin Sangoku Musou -> shadow of the past
Sengoku Musou -> shadow of the past
Gundam Musou -> stable but nothing special (if they try again)
Musou Orochi -> done
Hokuto Musou -> done
Troy Musou -> (not from Omega Force) bombed and done
One Piece: Kaizoku Musou -> if they try again it will be because of west
Zelda Musou -> west saved first entry but there is the second entry curse
Dragon Quest Heroes -> there is the second entry curse
Arslan Musou -> bombed and done
Attack on Titan -> likely done already from first entry

With Attack on Titan being the second collaboration in a row that fails after Arslan Musou I don't know if there is anything else left for Omega Force that can bring again big numbers.

Musou Orochi -> done
Hokuto Musou -> done

Fire Emblem Musou, Star Wars Musou, Monster Hunter Musou.

Musou Orochi -> done
Hokuto Musou -> done

Final Fantasy Musou

mao2

Koei Tecmo is working on a large scale collaboration with a Western IP. If it's Star Wars, I think it'll do really well.

Asd202

Pretty much.

Persona 3 sold 210k btw.

Prelude.

Musou Orochi -> done
Hokuto Musou -> done

Don't worry, the next Atelier x Shonen Jump will sell millions.

3287387ajr89.png

duckroll

Persona 3 sold 210k btw.

Wow thanks for correcting me. I didn't know Famitsu numbers were more accurate than Media Create numbers and considered the official discussion point in the Media Create Sales thread. Many apologies to you Grandmaster, Lord of All Knowledge.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Musou Orochi -> done
Hokuto Musou -> done
They need to address the fundamental issues with their products, namely the amount of change and advancement between entries.

Quality is a very important thing and you can't get around it treading on brand strength forever.

casiopao

Persona 3 is old times though. Persona "Now" is more mainstream than SMT. I also never said FES is high budget here lol. I just said that SMT4 is not using a lot of budget here thanks to tons of recycling on same console here.(3DS)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wow thanks for correcting me. I didn't know Famitsu numbers were more accurate than Media Create numbers and considered the official discussion point in the Media Create Sales thread. Many apologies to you Grandmaster, Lord of All Knowledge.

Bless him, duckroll. Bless him with all your strength.

They need to address the fundamental issues with their products, namely the amount of change and advancement between entries.

Quality is a very important thing and you can't get around it treading on brand strength forever.

It's always seemed insane to me that that was a game that could be iterated on that many times in the first place. I liked them but they're all identical and fairly shallow. In terms of Three Kingdoms or Sengoku it's not like an Assassin's Creed or a COD or a Madden or a Yakuza where there's something fundamental about the cast or setting they can change every year or a competitive scene that keeps it going either. I literally have no idea why Japan kept showing up in droves for each iteration for so long.

It's weird to me that Arslan seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back. I played the demo and it was really nice looking (ground aside).

Pennywise83 said:
Fire Emblem Musou

If Nintendo needs a quickie surprise schedule filler for Wii U this year, that actually wouldn't be a bad move.

Oh you're using MC? Because there SMTIV is closer to 260k (it was at 257k by the end of 2013) without considering digital sales, than 250k. You're welcome.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I can see FF musou doing fine in the West. Won't do mainline/mainline-sequel number but maybe Dissidia numbers?

casiopao

Only Monster Hunter could be kinda big, but Capcom won't sell the franchise for a cheap spin-off..

FF struggles with traditional entries, Musou won't explode.

It is finally the time for Idolmaster Musou or Love Live Musou to save Koei from destruction.^_^

NUNS4 shipped over 1.3M units.

Japan: 80,000
Asia: 84,000
Europe: 550,000
North America: 620,000

Source is from Dualshock but they mentioned a Bandai Namco press release.

mao2

NUNS4 shipped over 1.3M units.

Japan: 80,000
Asia: 84,000
Europe: 550,000
North America: 620,000

Source is from Dualshock but they mentioned a Bandai Namco press release.
Posting 4gamer.net article too since DualShockers is banned.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/285/G028506/20160208010/
&#12496;&#12531;&#12480;&#12452;&#12490;&#12512;&#12467;&#12456;&#12531;&#12479;&#12540;&#12486;&#12452;&#12531;&#12513;&#12531;&#12488;&#12399;&#26412;&#26085;&#65288;2016&#24180;2&#26376;8&#26085;&#65289;&#65292;&#21516;&#31038;&#12363;&#12425;2&#26376;4&#26085;&#12395;&#30330;&#22770;&#12392;&#12394;&#12387;&#12383;PlayStation 4&#29992;&#12477;&#12501;&#12488;&#12300;NARUTO&#65293;&#12490;&#12523;&#12488;&#65293; &#30142;&#39080;&#20253; &#12490;&#12523;&#12486;&#12451;&#12513;&#12483;&#12488;&#12473;&#12488;&#12540;&#12512;4&#12301;&#12398;&#21021;&#22238;&#20986;&#33655;&#26412;&#25968;&#12364;&#65292;&#19990;&#30028;&#32047;&#35336;&#12391;130&#19975;&#26412;&#12434;&#31361;&#30772;&#12375;&#12383;&#12371;&#12392;&#12434;&#30330;&#34920;&#12375;&#12383;&#12290;&#20869;&#35379;&#12399;&#65292;&#26085;&#26412;&#12391;&#12399;8&#19975;&#26412;&#65292;2&#26376;2&#26085;&#30330;&#22770;&#12398;&#12450;&#12472;&#12450;&#22320;&#22495;&#12391;&#12399;8&#19975;4000&#26412;&#65292;2&#26376;5&#26085;&#30330;&#22770;&#12398;&#27431;&#24030;&#22320;&#22495;&#12391;&#12399;55&#19975;&#65292;&#12381;&#12375;&#12390;2&#26376;9&#26085;&#12395;&#30330;&#22770;&#12434;&#20104;&#23450;&#12375;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;&#21271;&#31859;&#22320;&#22495;&#12391;&#12399;62&#19975;&#26412;&#12392;&#12394;&#12387;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;&#12290;

Edit: Blargh beaten. :mad:

Dingens

is this the first time the vita overtook the 3ds in hardware sales?
I've been following this thread since the 3ds launched in 2011 (and hardly missed a week) but can't recall it ever leading... so far

is this the first time the vita overtook the 3ds in hardware sales?
I've been following this thread since the 3ds launched in 2011 (and hardly missed a week) but can't recall it ever leading... so far
I believe it was said this is the second time earlier in the thread. I wouldn't be able to tell you when the first time was though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's always seemed insane to me that that was a game that could be iterated on that many times in the first place. I liked them but they're all identical and fairly shallow. In terms of Three Kingdoms or Sengoku it's not like an Assassin's Creed or a COD or a Madden or a Yakuza where there's something fundamental about the cast or setting they can change every year or a competitive scene that keeps it going either. I literally have no idea why Japan kept showing up in droves for each iteration for so long.

It's weird to me that Arslan seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back. I played the demo and it was really nice looking (ground aside).
I imagine it's because the formula at least makes for decent licensed games and people who wanted to play games based on those licenses assessed them as the best choice available.

When people buying the series finally got tired of the formula, there would be a new generation of customers to start buying the games as well, which helped refresh the audience.

However, at this point, we don't seem to actually be onboarding all that many new people to console gaming in the first place, and given the IP Koei Tecmo gets access to these days, I'm guessing that a lot of the current crop of customers have bought in 2-4 times by now and are going "I'm good."

Koei Tecmo notably seems to be investing more in franchises that aren't Musou now (and Attack on Titan is part of this), so I think they're realizing that they have a problem if they don't branch out as opposed to this solely being the result of seeing blood in the water with publishers like Capcom and Sega.

Here's GungHo 2015 IR if you're interested Nirolak:
http://www.gungho.co.jp/english/ir/uploads/irk20160202e_7.pdf

interesting how they spin slow downward spiral as "stable performance"
So the rest of their initiatives listed here pretty much inspire zero confident in the company.

Top Bottom