• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2012 (Oct 01 - Oct 07)

u_neek

Deep within me, I want BD: FF to oversell FF XIII-2.
Same!

Or really, I just want it to be successful. I miss the PS1 era of jRPGs, and I'm getting serious FFIX vibes from this game. Hopefully Squenix will see that there's still a market for beautiful pre-rendered fantasy backgrounds.

Nekki

Damn, RE6 completely shattered my predictions. Which now i see were quite silly since i predicted a 550-600k opening iirc. Oh well.

Good to see BD:FF and PxZ are opening well, can only hope they do well enough to warrant a localization. It would've been nice if there had been a special 3DS for either of those games (i lean more toward BD), but i guess there are too many already hehe, and they're not really proven franchises.

muu

Wikipedias explanation is that competing series popped up around 2006 which killed love and berrys sales enough to end the series I also recall reading that they basically killed the golden egg with the ds version of love and berry -- it was a million seller, but it stopped the very popular arcade version dead on its tracks because it did everything the ac version could do.

Even if it had faded there was still probably room to cash in and get a couple hundred thousand from a sequel

I don't know how it works for arcade, but being the DS version closely tied to the arcade one, there were less room for sequels. Maybe they should have started a completely new DS iteration (without cards... Even though the business probably was around them).

Wikipedias explanation is that competing series popped up around 2006 which killed love and berrys sales enough to end the series I also recall reading that they basically killed the golden egg with the ds version of love and berry -- it was a million seller, but it stopped the very popular arcade version dead on its tracks because it did everything the ac version could do.
Seems similar to how Sega drove Beetle Mushi King into the ground. Huge in arcades, then huge on GBA, then the AC/DS upgrades just sort of fizzled.

Hobby

Wasn't sure if this really needed a new thread. Sony announced PS Vita bundles for Japan.

MDFKn.jpg

32 GB bonus pack (34,980 yen, 11/15 release):
- 3G/Wifi black Vita
- 32 GB memory card
- Cradle
- Screen protector
- USB cable, AC adapter, power cord, set of AR cards, instruction manuals
- SIM card with 20 hours pre-paid plan

7IFrR.jpg

4GB starter pack (29,980 yen, 11/22 release):
- 3G/Wifi black Vita
- Minna no Golf 6
- 4 GB memory card

http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/release/nr_20121015_psvita_pack.html

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Same price points as the WiiU configs - lets see how this will work for Sony, i dont expect much with these bundles especially compared to the 3DS.

Pikma

Banned
Wasn't sure if this really needed a new thread. Sony announced PS Vita bundles for Japan.

MDFKn.jpg

- 3G/Wifi black Vita
- 32 GB memory card
- Cradle
- Screen protector

7IFrR.jpg

- 3G/Wifi black Vita
- Minna no Golf 6
- 4 GB memory card

WTF you pay 5,000 yen more to NOT have a game, and instead you get a bigger memory card and a cradle? seriously?

u_neek

[3DS]ブレイブリーデフォルト – 288pt
[PS3]バイオハザード6 – 272pt
[3DS]PROJECT X ZONE(初回生産版) – 177pt
[PS3]ワールドサッカーウイニングイレブン2013 – 81pt
[3DS]わがままファッション GIRLS MODE よくばり宣言! – 71pt
[PS3]時と永遠〜トキトワ〜(通常版) – 60pt
[3DS]逃走中 史上最強のハンターたちからにげきれ! – 56pt
[3DS]Newスーパーマリオブラザーズ2 – 44pt
[PSP]ソールトリガー – 42pt
[PS3]時と永遠〜トキトワ〜LIMITED EDITION – 40pt
[PSP]サモンナイト3 – 36pt
[PSP]SDガンダム ジージェネレーション オーバーワールド – 36pt
[3DS]新・絵心教室 – 34pt
[PS3]ロックスミス – 30pt
[3DS]こびとづかん こびと観察セット – 18pt
[3DS]太鼓の達人 ちびドラゴンと不思議なオーブ – 18pt
[PSP]ファイナルファンタジー3 – 15pt
[PSP]DIABOLIK LOVERS(通常版) – 14pt
[PS3]DISHONORED(ディスオナード) – 14pt
[NDS]ポケットモンスター ブラック2 – 12pt

http://www.comgnet.com/ranking/

I know it's not 100% indicative of final sales numbers but the latest Comgnet has Bravely Default at number one just ahead of Resi 6.

Winning Eleven 2013 is fourth - anybody know the second week numbers for previous entries?

Jonnyram

They should give away 3-6 months of PS+ membership with new hardware, and put some free games on there like the NA/EU stores. That would probably be quite enticing.

Takao

Banned
WTF you pay 5,000 yen more to NOT have a game, and instead you get a bigger memory card and a cradle? seriously?

A 32GB Vita memory card retails for an MSRP of ¥9,500 in Japan. Even Amazon's discount can't get it below ¥7,000.

Those bundles aren't going to sell anything. I don't know why they haven't announce an uber swanky AKB48 set.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

The game is a year old and as a Vita owner i would say space is far more valuable.

Pikma

Banned
Yeah, I know about the prices, but paying more to get a bigger memory card with no games, I don't think that's too enticing for potential buyers that are like on the fence or something.

Takao

Banned
Since Hot Shots Golf is relevant in this thread, the Cross Buy promotion SCEJ is running for that is awful compared to the international version. Buying one version only nets you a partial discount for buying the other. Internationally Cross Buy gives PS3 owners a Vita version for free.

Pikma

Banned
Since Hot Shots Golf is relevant in this thread, the Cross Buy promotion SCEJ is running for that is awful compared to the international version. Buying one version only nets you a partial discount for buying the other. Internationally Cross Buy gives PS3 owners a Vita version for free.

How big of a discount?

I've been curious about the total price of the PS3 version of the game. Is it full price?

Takao

Banned
I've been curious about the total price of the PS3 version of the game. Is it full price?

4,980 on Blu-Ray, 3,900 on PSN which is the launch MSRP of the Vita SKU.

How big of a discount?

If you own the Vita version of Hot Shots Golf 6 you can get a PSN version of the PS3 version for 2,000 yen and vice versa. I guess that's the good thing about their Cross Buy program in that it's a two way street. In the west retail Cross Buy titles only work if you buy the PS3 version, which is due to the PS3 version being sold at $60, and the Vita version at $40.

mclem

Some funny news was that at Yodobashi in Shinjuku there was a sign saying that the 360 version of Dishonored could only be purchased though amazon.co.jp.

I guess thats their way of saying its not stocked at the store.

That almost sounds like they were inundated with requests!

There can't be many signs in the world intended for fewer recipients.

donny2112

MDFKn.jpg

- 3G/Wifi black Vita
- 32 GB memory card
- Cradle
- Screen protector

7IFrR.jpg

- 3G/Wifi black Vita
- Minna no Golf 6
- 4 GB memory card

Launch 3G units, or were those finally finished off months ago?

DGRE

Banned
What is the current Wii price in Japan? Do you think it will see a similar cut to the one just announced in NA?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Amazon supposedly sold out of Bravely Default again.

The new shipment for Bravely seems to be one week away. At least on Amazon. Oooh, come on Square, produce more copies!

EDIT: I'm starting being shocked by Animal Crossing. Just from Amazon: Wild Word had 143 likes, City Folk near 170.
...Animal Crossing Jump Out, instead, is around 1.400 likes. And there are 19 discussions about it. WHAT THE

http://www.comgnet.com/ranking/

I know it's not 100% indicative of final sales numbers but the latest Comgnet has Bravely Default at number one just ahead of Resi 6.

Winning Eleven 2013 is fourth - anybody know the second week numbers for previous entries?
RE5 - 62k (-80%)
WE12 - 60k (-77%)

RE6 1st Week -80% = 128k
WE13 1st Week -77% = 51k

Tsutaya Rankings: http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html?rank=top_sub (BD #1, RE6 #2)

Launch 3G units, or was those finally finished off months ago?
Exactly what I was thinking, they still pushing 3G units? lol

What is the current Wii price in Japan? Do you think it will see a similar cut to the one just announced in NA?

You're going to be shocked. The Wii never got the price cut to 150 like the rest of the world. It's still 20k yen so the Wii U is only 5k yen higher. It's no wonder the Wii is selling so horribly.

muu

I'm guessing they undershipped BDFF. Maybe streetpass features will extend its life though?

My copy's here but PXZ and Paladin powerleveling on DQX has kept me from touching the thing.

EDIT: I'm starting being shocked by Animal Crossing. Just from Amazon: Wild Word had 143 likes, City Folk near 170.
...Animal Crossing Jump Out, instead, is around 1.400 likes. And there are 19 discussions about it. WHAT THE

Amazon like button, the new frontier for Media Create threads.

disco

The new shipment for Bravely seems to be one week away. At least on Amazon. Oooh, come on Square, produce more copies!

Perhaps Amazon is simply a more prevalent retailer than before - or the 'Like' feature was underused previously or was introduced after both games were originally released. 'Liking' is a convenient way for people to illustrate their tastes and carve an identity on Facebook - maybe it works similarly on Amazon if it's connected to social media in Japan.

*In fact - I liked Animal Crossing on FB the other day having simply been exposed to it from the last ND. Now all my friends are reminded of my man-child status in their daily feeds lol.

Perhaps Amazon is simply a more prevalent retailer than before - or the 'Like' feature was underused previously or was introduced after both games were originally released. 'Liking' is a convenient way for people to illustrate their tastes and carve an identity on Facebook - maybe it works similarly on Amazon if it's connected to social media in Japan.

*In fact - I liked Animal Crossing on FB the other day having simply been exposed to it from the last ND. Now all my friends are reminded of my man-child status in their daily feeds lol.

I do think the Like button didn't even exist in 2005 or 2006 on Amazon. But surely it's not a sign of anything. That people are interested in the new Animal Crossing is not something special.

Nekki

Japan-GAF: What's the word-of-mouth (if there's any) for both PxZ and BD:FF??

Also on Animal Crossing: We don't even need Amazon, ComgNet or star reading to realize 200k first shipment is not going to be sufficient.

I do think the Like button didn't even exist in 2005 or 2006 on Amazon. But surely it's not a sign of anything. That people are interested in the new Animal Crossing is not something special.
Perhaps there are a lot of AC fans that were waiting for an actual sequel and not a regurgitation of an N64 game. Either way I'm not sure we can extrapolate anything meaningful from Amazons like button.

Please Japan, buy all the Bravely Default copies you can afford. I need to play it in English.

BTW, has anyone on GAF got the game and posted impressions yet?

Top Bottom