• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2014 (Sep 29 - Oct 05)

Opiate

I'm glad to see the Japanese publishers getting a grasp on the mobile market. It seems that most of the major Western publishers are lagging significantly behind (EA has some idea, but mostly that's by shotgunning a massive amount of games and seeing what sticks, rather than having any real understanding of the market).

Celine

Japanese hardware shipments through 1997/03:

Super Famicom: 16,870,000
Game Boy: 15,020,000
Sony PlayStation: 6,500,000
Sega Saturn: 4,800,000
Nintendo 64: 2,040,000
3DO: 750,000
Neo Geo: 700,000
NEC PC-FX: 270,000

nhMaFg9.jpg
LTD FY 1997 (Console Plus)

But I have doubts on how reliable these figures actually are...

That won't prevent the Famitsu magazine issue from coming out this week will it?

Absolutely not, maybe tomorrow we'll have a leak from the site, but considering it's just one day before the usual release it might not happen

But the magazine will be available in shops as usual

And typhoon is hitting now Tokyo (local time 00:55), so tomorrow Famitsu employeers can work regularly :D

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How does this translate to actual generated revenue, any idea? Because otherwise it seems to be a pretty much content-free information.

This is what 11 was earlier this year, and a GUMI Europe exec implied #3 was about 1 million a day.

Generally speaking money made by the top spots has only ever went up, so view this more as a floor.

I believe I read that 20 was about half of 11, but I'm having trouble refinding that info so I could be wrong.

That revenue column is a daily one.

QNdXFUt.jpg

So as a follow-up here, it's now up to #13.

If it goes up a bit (or through periodic rise of what the positions earn) that'd put it on par with the ~90K a day spot 11 highlighted.

That's presumably 1-2 staff members' salaries a day depending on which staff members we're talking about and their marketing spend, so we're looking at a project that will likely be profitable for them soon.

That might be more than we can say for anything they've made in years!

BKK

LTD FY 1997 (Console Plus)

But I have doubts on how reliable these figures actually are...

Oh cool! The figures are correct (well mainly at least, PS1 WW number is from Aug 20 97, but PS1 JP number is Sep 30 97), it's just the date that is wrong. This covers FY 1997 H1 (Apr 97 - Sep 97). This is from the Feb '98 issue, so that fits with the timeline of when this data would have been available.

Thanks for posting, some interesting figures that I haven't seen before.

So as a follow-up here, it's now up to #13.

If it goes up a bit (or through periodic rise of what the positions earn) that'd put it on par with the ~90K a day spot 11 highlighted.

That's presumably 1-2 staff members' salaries a day depending on which staff members we're talking about and their marketing spend, so we're looking at a project that will likely be profitable for them soon.

That might be more than we can say for anything they've made in years!

Previous Mistwalker's works were funded by publishers, hence Sakaguchi & co. always got paid. In this case, since the game is self-published, Mistwalker is embarking a riskier route (probably the only one though).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Previous Mistwalker's works were funded by publishers, hence Sakaguchi & co. always got paid. In this case, since the game is self-published, Mistwalker is embarking a riskier route (probably the only one though).

Certainly. Mistwalker itself almost assuredly never lost money on any of their previous titles.

I was just making a more general statement that was also a bit of a joke jab at their previous sales performance.

What did you expect? An extremely expensive console built for a small niche of people who largely played arcade fighting games.

ok, it was niche but how long it lasted on the market ? 10 years or production was stopped before?

I mean, 700k means the same result for 3DO, and for how long 3DO was on the market?

test_account

XP-39C²
ok, it was niche but how long it lasted on the market ? 10 years or production was stopped before?

I mean, 700k means the same result for 3DO, and for how long 3DO was on the market?
I have to agree that on first glance its surprising that the 3DO and Neo Geo sold almost the same (at least according to the numbers posted earlier), but according to Wikipedia, almost 150 3DO games were released in Japan. I think that is a pretty decent library. Being CD-based games, i guess that the games were for the most part priced more reasonably, while Neo Geo AES games were probably a lot more expensive. That in itself would also limit the sales of Neo Geo.

recently I noticed that some 3DO games can be found in Book-Off shops, instead of only in those shops dedicated to retro games (Mandarake, Super Potato)

L Thammy

Didn't the 3DO have absurdly low royalty rates leading to infamous stuff like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties? Assuming that the situation was the same in Japan, the numerical size of the library might misrepresent how healthy the situation was for the system.

test_account

XP-39C²
recently I noticed that some 3DO games can be found in Book-Off shops, instead of only in those shops dedicated to retro games (Mandarake, Super Potato)
Cool :)

Didn't the 3DO have absurdly low royalty rates leading to infamous stuff like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties? Assuming that the situation was the same in Japan, the numerical size of the library might misrepresent how healthy the situation was for the system.
That is possible regarding what type of games the 3DO had in Japan, but wasnt trying to say that the 3DO situation in Japan was healthy. 700k over ~3 years isnt exactly a strong performance. But seeing that it had about 150 games (assuming that the Wikipedia list is correct), it could be a reason why it ended up selling as much (or as little) as what the Neo Geo did (up to March 1997).

BKK

Neo Geo AES software was prohibitively expensive, ¥20k - ¥40k a piece, that could only ever be a small market. Of course niche sales were fine as the games were being made for the arcade MVS anyway.

Neo Geo CD solved the software price issue, but suffered from loading issues and was quite dated compared to the PS & SS it launched against.

zeromcd73

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201410/13063461.html
また、イベントの最後に、司会に徹していた松山氏から「年末ぐらいには、弊社の衝撃の作品を発表できるはず」というサプライズが。
この発言にサイバーコネクトツーの広報担当氏が非常に苦い顔をしていたを付け加えておくが、
そんな事情は抜きにして、いったいどんな作品が発表されるのか、期待して待ちたいところだ。

Cycberconnect2 have a shocking game announcement coming near the end of this year. What could it be?
PS4 Naruto let's go go

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Surprised that Capcom's IR website has not been updated.

Wednesday it is then.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No news from Famitsu yet, what the hell.

Tomorrow, a few hours before complete hours, then? IIRC, it's what happened last year for the early release of MH4 and 3DS sales data. Monday was a Holiday back then as well.

hiska-kun

No news from Famitsu yet, what the hell.

Tomorrow, a few hours before complete hours, then? IIRC, it's what happened last year for the early release of MH4 and 3DS sales data. Monday was a Holiday back then as well.

One's first week sales also came on Wednesday a few hours before the complete numbers.

-.-

I've always been wary of those downloaded numbers for apps since I don't think they've ever confirmed if people endlessly resetting for the reroll marathon count as a unique download per attempt.

L~A

I'd have thought Nintendo might have released a statement by now declaring fantastic sales :/

That's because the N3DS (and MH4) bombed horribly, obivously. It won't reach 500k before the end of the year (especially not with that Typhoon yesterday), it's pretty clear. I made some calculations based on MH4G comgnet numbers + average Amazon ranking + number of reviews on Amazon, and it's pretty clear the N3DS is DoA. I've also heard that to recoup costs, Capcom was planning to port MH4G on XB1. With the exact same graphics.

Seriously, lack of numbers if probably due to yesterday being a national holiday. I'm sure we'll get them tomorrow morning, or today at midnight JST.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Will we have 4 3DS SKUs in the sales chart? and, if there will be an announcement (by Famitsu or Nintendo) about the 3DS sales, will they be related just to the N3ds models?

zsidane

Neo Geo AES software was prohibitively expensive, ¥20k - ¥40k a piece, that could only ever be a small market. Of course niche sales were fine as the games were being made for the arcade MVS anyway.

Neo Geo CD solved the software price issue, but suffered from loading issues and was quite dated compared to the PS & SS it launched against.

Yet they managed to sell more than 1 million copy of KOF 95...
Here's a very good fighting documentary by French Gaming TV Game One where the producer of the series gives the number.

L~A

Will we have 4 3DS SKUs in the sales chart? and, if there will be an announcement (by Famitsu or Nintendo) about the 3DS sales, will they be related just to the N3ds models?

MC will probably provide numbers for all models separately, so in Chris' chart, we'll have the global numbers with all 4 models together, then separate entries for each model.

And yes, if there's a Nintendo PR, it's pretty likely it'll only be about the N3DS.

L~A

Yeah, I think FW sales should within the same range as MH4. It's more long-term sales that we should be talking about. Guess it'll depend on when they'll announce the next mainline MH game

I wonder what Capcom is going to do... they've already done the G version for MH4, but I doubt they'll jump straight into MH5. A HD version... don't really see that happening, tbh. Maybe MHP4 or something. If it's on 3DS, it's probably going to be the last MH game for that system.

One thing's for sure: I doubt they're going to announce it on January again, so it shouldn't have too much of an impact on sales... especially since MH4G announcement didn't really have one on MH4's sales.

zeromcd73

Latest Famitsu interview:

Tetsu-chan Nomura is booked solid until 2019. Has several projects that will be announced next year. It's possible that a Miku game based off Nomura's design could be made and Hashimoto wants to. The latest announcement regarding Nomura was this (Miku thing), but he wants the next announcement that he is involved with to be a video game.

here for example: N3DS sold out means both versions?
Btw, it seems that both MH4G and N3DS (at least the LL, right?) were able to sell as much as they distributed.

Both models should be sold-out today (I just went to a shop, no time for report), yesterday at least the n3DS was available; hiska-kun reported n3DS LL was sold-out, and it was the morning, but I went in 2 shops in the afternoon and I didn't notice any sign of sold-out (but maybe it was my fault, i didn't pay so much attention to it)

but probably sales will be around 80% of shipped stock cause they count just 2 days

n3DS models will be restock the day after tomorrow, don't know about MH4G (but Capcom should be crazy to miss the incoming weekend)

L~A

So no early report then?

Probably tomorrow, a few hours before the weekly update. That's what happened for the XB1.

Tetsu-chan Nomura is booked solid until 2019. Has several projects that will be announced next year. It's possible that a Miku game based off Nomura's design could be made and Hashimoto wants to. The latest announcement regarding Nomura was this (Miku thing), but he wants the next announcement that he is involved with to be a video game.

2019? So that's the release date for KH3? /trollface

Seriously, I hope at least one of the projects is TWEWY2
for iOS

Eolz

Oh god no

hiska-kun

Both models should be sold-out today (I just went to a shop, no time for report), yesterday at least the n3DS was available; hiska-kun reported n3DS LL was sold-out, and it was the morning, but I went in 2 shops in the afternoon and I didn't notice any sign of sold-out (but maybe it was my fault, i didn't pay so much attention to it)

but probably sales will be around 80% of shipped stock cause they count just 2 days

n3DS models will be restock the day after tomorrow, don't know about MH4G (but Capcom should be crazy to miss the incoming weekend)

You said you went to Bic Camera in Ikebukuro, right? (East exit)
If you did, and you checked the 3DS stand, you should've seen this picture.

9D3817F2-7C5D-4E54-8D80-76A808841C3A_zpsnfohcxze.jpg

I took this photo yesterday at 11:00 a.m.
Did you check that?

If it wasn't sold out, that means they received a new shipment when I left.

GamesMaya is expecting new stock for MH4G this Friday. Don't know about other shops.

Celine

I have to agree that on first glance its surprising that the 3DO and Neo Geo sold almost the same (at least according to the numbers posted earlier), but according to Wikipedia, almost 150 3DO games were released in Japan. I think that is a pretty decent library. Being CD-based games, i guess that the games were for the most part priced more reasonably, while Neo Geo AES games were probably a lot more expensive. That in itself would also limit the sales of Neo Geo.
3DO had 214 releases in Japan.

The idea of comparing Matsushita with SNK is a bit ridiculous.

From my understanding KoF95 and SS2 are the best selling games on NG and NGCD.
KoF95 in particular sold really well on Saturn and PS1.

Top Bottom