• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2011 (Oct 10 - Oct 16)

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
This shit again?
People have been buying PSP games on PSN since way before the PSP Go came out (GT Portable being a great example), and this time the existence of the Vita will further bolster PSN sales. The PSP Go was a failure, but it is not the beginning and the end of PSN sales.

I can't believe you actually took that seriously.

By the way, GT PSP launched with PSP Go in Japan.

AniHawk said:
the inazuma games remind me of the mega man battle network games: rpgish things that i don't want to understand that are popular for some reason, trailed off at the end of life of the handheld they originated on, and couldn't make it on the succeeding handheld.

Well, that first Mega Man EXE successor for DS sold like 600K, so it's not all bad.

Jonnyram said:
Retail isn't king. It's run by a bunch of pimp hands who have ridiculous contracts with platform holders to make sure digital distribution is held back by a couple of decades. It's not the consumer that's holding back.

That and the Vita's ridiculous proprietary memory card prices.

Kenka

Prediction League (October 24 - 30)

[PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 (Square Enix) - 623'000
[WII] Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Nintendo) - 98'000
[PS3] The Idolmaster 2 (Bandai Namco Games) - 87'654

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nuclear Muffin said:
Tri G of course and it won't even be close. In fact, Tri G will be the biggest selling game of the holiday, period (sorry Mario Kart 7)

MK 7 will outsell Tri G, even this holiday season. Its been over 3 years since the last MK title and this one will benefit strong from street pass - i would be suprised if anything will outsell it this year. It wont be a big difference but i still think MK7 will sell more.

Erethian

walking fiend said:
Whatever the cause, Type-0, or other games on other platform whether Nintendo or Sony, won't be selling much DD at all.

I'd argue that DD is not a factor more in the sense that unless we start getting sales numbers, or means by which we can reasonably estimate what the sales might be, it's pointless to try and factor it into the perfomance of an individual game.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
I can't believe you actually took that seriously.
None of my posts on GAF are serious :p

By the way, GT PSP launched with PSP Go in Japan.
Oct 1, 2009: Gran Turismo
Nov 1, 2009: PSP Go

That and the Vita's ridiculous proprietary memory card prices.
What hardware maker doesn't make a shitload of cash off inflated memory prices? It's not stopped consumers from pre-ordering them, anyway.

cw_sasuke said:
MK 7 will outsell Tri G, even this holiday season. Its been over 3 years since the last MK title and this one will benefit strong from street pass - i would be suprised if anything will outsell it this year. It wont be a big difference but i still think MK7 will sell more.

MK7 will sell more in the long run, but MH3G will win this holiday season. It's a far more front loaded series and as such, will put out higher initial numbers.

Nuclear Muffin said:
MK7 will sell more in the long run, but MH3G will win this holiday season. It's a far more front loaded series and as such, will put out higher initial numbers.
MK7 will be much more frontloaded than MKDS.

Jonnyram

Nuclear Muffin said:
No. The portable games have sold less than 50% of their lifetime sales during launch week. Not front loaded at all.

Jonnyram said:
No. The portable games have sold less than 50% of their lifetime sales during launch week. Not front loaded at all. Tri is the only recent MH game to sell more than 50% its LTD during launch week.

It's still a much more front loaded series than Mario Kart is (DS = 219,000 launch day. Wii = 593,576 launch day)

walking fiend said:
MK7 will be much more frontloaded than MKDS.

What makes you say that? Why would MK7's sales suddenly fall off a cliff?

cw_sasuke

Nuclear Muffin said:

Just comparin debuts of MK DS and MK Wii. Anything less than 500K MK7 units in week 1 would suprise me.

Jonnyram

cw_sasuke said:
Just comparin debuts of MK DS and MK Wii. Anything less than 500K MK7 units in week 1 would suprise me.
Holy shit, man. Talk about setting your sights high. It's gonna be pretty hard for any 3DS game to sell that week 1 until the hardware has a larger install base.

cw_sasuke

Jonnyram said:
Holy shit, man. Talk about setting your sights high. It's gonna be pretty hard for any 3DS game to sell that week 1 until the hardware has a larger install base.

True, but MK7 and Tri G are the only titles which potentially sell that much even with a smaller userbase. There are many 3DS owners already who are just waiting to finally purchase some worthwile. Once Mario 3D Land is released we can probably better gauge how the upcoming holiday titles could perform on 3DS.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmh, the Inazuma Eleven Go talk can be interesting.
It would be VERY useful knowing how much it is performing the anime: better than IE3, worse, far worse, or what?

squall23

Takao said:
I'm thinking Inazuma Eleven Go is going to be hit hard. It launches into the lion's den of MH and Mario. At Level-5 World it also didn't appear to be incredibly popular (It reportedly had short wait times). It's also the first Inazuma game to feature the new cast, but is still the 4th mainline Inazuma game in as many years. The third entry showed decline (outside of counting The Ogre release), and I don't believe Go will change that.
Except that MH only cuts into 1/2 of IE's core audience, and that's the kids. Heck, I'm even confident in saying most Japanese kids are more interested in IE than MH simply because of the anime. That other core audience would be the fujoshis (who btw continually ruin the series).

There's also that early adopters bonus of downloading Endou and Gouenji as players if you get the game within a week of release.
Mpl90 said:
Mmh, the Inazuma Eleven Go talk can be interesting.
It would be VERY useful knowing how much it is performing the anime: better than IE3, worse, far worse, or what?
I don't see how it could do better than IE3 considering the smaller install base.

BOps was heavily front loaded, it didn't prevent it from becoming the best selling title

500K is actually conservative. I am betting on an easy 1.5m-2m by the end of year. You'' be surprised how much 3DS will sell in November and December.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
None of my posts on GAF are serious :p

Oct 1, 2009: Gran Turismo
Nov 1, 2009: PSP Go

Well, fuck me. They launched together in the U.S. and not in Japan :X

Jonnyram said:
What hardware maker doesn't make a shitload of cash off inflated memory prices? It's not stopped consumers from pre-ordering them, anyway.

This isn't a debate about Sony's profits at all. But the 32GB card is the only one (maybe the 16GB one as well) that is conducive to ensuring that DLC is easily accessible and usable for Vita buyers. People would rather pay ¥3500 for a 32GB SD card than around ¥9000 for the proprietary one.

As much as I'd like to grab the 32GB, budget considerations keep pushing me towards the 4GB or 8GB, which means I have less incentive to go for PSN DLC...

It's equally unfair to make memory cards mandatory for game saves -- they wouldn't be selling out if this weren't required.

I've just been looking back at the Monster Hunter media create sales history. Wow! It's just incredible how it started off so low (MHG = 127,846 1st week in January 2005, MHP = 114,000 in December 2005) and how MHP slowly wormed its way up the charts (reaching roughly 700k in secret up until when MHP2 came out).

Even when MHP2 came out, people still didn't take much notice, writing it off as another Kingdom Hearts (strong initial sales of roughly 500-600k and a quick dropoff!) It wasn't until the release of MHP2G in March 2008 when people here finally realised how important the series had become.

Who would've thought back in 2004 when the first game came out that it would go on to become the single biggest 3rd party franchise of all time in Japan? (even ousting the mighty Dragon Quest!) and single handedly reviving the PSP? Just goes to show that anything can happen I guess!

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
It's equally unfair to make memory cards mandatory for game saves -- they wouldn't be selling out if this weren't required.
I don't think the 32GB cards are selling to people who just want to save data, and regarding the mandatory point -- I think they are that way for games that will have a bunch of DLC and/or patches. It's fair, since this is hard to predict and provide adequate space for before launch. I'd rather have this situation than no patches/DLC. Using SD cards would be nice, but leaves Sony open to security attacks, and we have no way of knowing the transfer speeds on these new cards, either.

Orgen

A lot of confident people around here throwing numbers and predictions, I like it! (we'll see how much crow will be eaten later)

Chris (or anyone), has there been a case where a game has sold FW more than the previous best game LTD on the same system for its two first years? (I don't know if I worded well the question)

Example (3DS):

OoT 3D = 415.000
Mario Land 3D FW > 415.000

I suppose it'd happen with some Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter, hence the first two years of my question.

P.S: If there's going to be an official December prediction, disregard my proposal :p

Takao

Banned
squall23 said:
Except that MH only cuts into 1/2 of IE's core audience, and that's the kids. Heck, I'm even confident in saying most Japanese kids are more interested in IE than MH simply because of the anime. That other core audience would be the fujoshis (who btw continually ruin the series).

I hear kids really like that Mario guy.

squall23 said:
I don't see how it could do better than IE3 considering the smaller install base.

He's talking about the anime's ratings, and trying to compare the ones prior to the release of IE, to that of Go's.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Orgen said:
Chris (or anyone), has there been a case where a game has sold FW more than the previous best game LTD on the same system for its two first years? (I don't know if I worded well the question)

Example (3DS):

OoT 3D = 415.000

Neat question. Assuming you discard game launches in the first 3-4 weeks Edit: 3-4 months of a system's lifespan, let's see if we can track some down here...

- PS2: It did happen with the PS2. FFX's first week was 1.74 million, GT3's LTD was around 1.3 million at the time. PS2's Sales LTD as of FFX's launch week

- DS: It didn't happen with the DS (SM64DS' LTD kept ahead of any FW launches, and most of the first year killer apps like Nintendogs, Brain Training, and Big Brain Academy were all slow burns, by the time NSMB had its huge launch several slow burners were in the millions). DS Sales LTD as of Pokemon DP's launch week. DS Sales LTD as of NSMB's launch week.

- PSP: It kinda happened with PSP. Monster Hunter Freedom 2 launched at 746k, while MHF1 had a 650k lifetime number at that point. The "kinda" is that if you include budget reprints of MHF1, it didn't happen. So kinda, not really. PSP's Software LTD as of MHF2's launch week--this is also just above 2 years, not sure if you wanted that to be a hard limit.

- Wii: It didn't happen with Wii. The first "big" launch week was Super Smash Bros Brawl at 800k, but a few games had went past the million mark by then. Wii's Software LTD as of Brawl's launch week

- PS3: It did happen with PS3. MGS4 launched at 475k, next best was Hot Shots Golf at 375k. PS3 Software LTD as of MGS4's launch week

- 360: It didn't happen with 360. Blue Dragon launched at 85k, but Dead or Alive 4 (a launch title) had climbed to 100k by then. 360 Software LTD as of Blue Dragon's launch week

Someone other than me can do it for PS1/GBA/DC/N64

That wouldn't really help.
3DS main problem has been software, it has been moving really good hardware for while in Japan, but not software.

The question to be asked is, what was the attach rate of DS or Wii (Nintendo platforms) at this point in their lives? Now, what will fill the gap between their tie ratio and that of 3DS?

You should also notice that MK is a game that moves hardware itself, a lot of 3DS are being bought in anticipation of MK (And Tri G).

On top of all of this, both the series has become frontloaded (while selling more too).

JonnyBrad said:
Sorry to be a pain but i couldn't find it. Does anyone have the OMFG 3ds release list from now until the end of the year?
:

king zell said:
this is gonna be crazy

10/20

Tetris Axis

tetries375x375.jpg

New Color (Pink)

pink.jpg

11/02

Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3: Taikaizoku to Shippo Dan

slime330x330.jpg

11/03

Super Mario 3D Land

marioland.jpg

New Color (white)

white.jpg

12/01

Mario Kart 7

Mario-Kart-7-Box-Art.jpg

Sonic Generations: Ao no Bouken

sonic-1.jpg

Crayon Shin-Chan: Uchuu de Achoo!? Yuujou no Oba-Karate!!

crayon_3ds.jpg

Cooking Mama 4

mama.png

12/08

New Love Plus

nrelove.jpg

New Love Plus Bundle

newlovebundle3.jpg

newlovebundle2.jpg

newlovebundle.jpg

12/10

Monster Hunter 3G

monsterbox.jpg

Monster Hunter 3G (Slide Pad Pack)

monsterpad.jpg

Monster Hunter 3G Bundle

monsterbundle.jpg

12/15

Inazuma Eleven Go: Dark
Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine

go2.jpg

go.jpg

12/22

SD Gundam G Generation 3D

gundam-2.jpg

SD Gundam G Generation 3D Bundle

gundam1.png
gundam2.png

01/12

Ace Combat 3D: Cross Rumble

AC3D_Cross_Rumble_2-1.png

so what well do how many?

i think Mario Kart well be the biggest game this Holiday in Japan.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
I don't think the 32GB cards are selling to people who just want to save data, and regarding the mandatory point -- I think they are that way for games that will have a bunch of DLC and/or patches. It's fair, since this is hard to predict and provide adequate space for before launch. I'd rather have this situation than no patches/DLC. Using SD cards would be nice, but leaves Sony open to security attacks, and we have no way of knowing the transfer speeds on these new cards, either.

Whatever the reasons are (and I'm not doubting you at all because I think you're right), I think it's another liability, partial or full, that will hurt Japan's rate of adoption of DLC content.

To be honest, being able to resell physical games is a bigger draw for me than the memory cards. As I said the other day, the memory card is a one time cost that a buyer will forget about in time.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Jonnyram said:
Melee sold 360k with GameCube hw at 300k the previous week.

Chris1964 said:
Melee sold 360k with GameCube hw at 300k the previous week.
Wonder if Stump forgot about this or there's an agenda in place... :D

I am still willing to bet on MK7 easily doing over 1.5m before the years end.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Orgen said:

Example (3DS):

OoT 3D = 415.000

P.S: If there's going to be an official December prediction, disregard my proposal :p
All that info can easily be found in the database or garaph.

There will be a December prediction closer to December

cvxfreak said:
Whatever the reasons are (and I'm not doubting you at all because I think you're right), I think it's another liability, partial or full, that will hurt Japan's rate of adoption of DLC content.

To be honest, being able to resell physical games is a bigger draw for me than the memory cards. As I said the other day, the memory card is a one time cost that a buyer will forget about in time.

The problem is not that the memory card cost so much as how much it artificially raises the price of the system itself. With the system being pricey enough as it is, the prices will encourage people to pick up the cheapest memory card for saves, thus limiting the amount and size of games that can be downloaded (and no, the current Amazon pre-orders are not a good indicator of this since the launch will be propagated by the most hardcore of the hardcore, who will go for the biggest and most expensive ones)

Plus when you consider how there isn't much of a discount for the DD version in comparison to retail and that software price drops on DD games are less common and suddenly it becomes hard to justify a larger memory card.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
walking fiend said:
Wonder if Stump forgot about this or there's an agenda in place... :D

Melee wouldn't have qualified under my rules since it came out 2 months after launch and I said I'd exclude stuff for the first 3-4 months ;)

Orgen

Stumpokapow said:
Neat question. Assuming you discard game launches in the first 3-4 weeks of a system's lifespan, let's see if we can track some down here...

- PS2: It did happen with the PS2. FFX's first week was 1.74 million, GT3's LTD was around 1.3 million at the time. PS2's Sales LTD as of FFX's launch week

- DS: It didn't happen with the DS (SM64DS' LTD kept ahead of any FW launches, and most of the first year killer apps like Nintendogs, Brain Training, and Big Brain Academy were all slow burns, by the time NSMB had its huge launch several slow burners were in the millions). DS Sales LTD as of Pokemon DP's launch week. DS Sales LTD as of NSMB's launch week.

- PSP: It kinda happened with PSP. Monster Hunter Freedom 2 launched at 746k, while MHF1 had a 650k lifetime number at that point. The "kinda" is that if you include budget reprints of MHF1, it didn't happen. So kinda, not really. PSP's Software LTD as of MHF2's launch week--this is also just above 2 years, not sure if you wanted that to be a hard limit.

- Wii: It didn't happen with Wii. The first "big" launch week was Super Smash Bros Brawl at 800k, but a few games had went past the million mark by then. Wii's Software LTD as of Brawl's launch week

- PS3: It did happen with PS3. MGS4 launched at 475k, next best was Hot Shots Golf at 375k. PS3 Software LTD as of MGS4's launch week

- 360: It didn't happen with 360. Blue Dragon launched at 85k, but Dead or Alive 4 (a launch title) had climbed to 100k by then. 360 Software LTD as of Blue Dragon's launch week

Thanks for the info Stumpokapow! I said 2 years because I thought it'd be more DQ or MH if I counted the entire lifespan of the systems. Really surprised at MGS4 and the PS3 situation (Maybe it'll happen again with the 3DS and Mario Land 3D or Mario Kart 7) The others were more or less expected but it's nice to see it well put with numbers so thanks again :)

walking fiend said:
You should also notice that MK is a game that moves hardware itself, a lot of 3DS are being bought in anticipation of MK (And Tri G).

On top of all of this, both the series has become frontloaded (while selling more too).

If this is true (people buying it in anticipation) then we won't see a >600.000 week for the 3DS HW this December.

Do you dare to give a prediction for MK7 FW now? or are you going to wait (bashing other people's predictions) until the week before the launch to have preorders and other meaningful data? :p

Chris1964 said:
All that info can easily be found in the database or garaph.

There will be a December prediction closer to December

Gotcha. I'll try to look at the database before when I got another question like this.

I think it's funnier doing the predictions now because it's more unexpected. Closer to December we'll have the sales of Mario Land 3D, the 3DS HW and more data on preorders for the big guns, so it'll make the predictions narrower and less fun IMHO. But I'm not organizing anything so I'm not complaining! Just my 2 cents :)

P.S: Any new info regarding Brain Training 3D?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Orgen said:
P.S: Any new info regarding Brain Training 3D?
NCL must have given up with training games. No sight at NoE's documents.

December's total prediction is undecided what it will include, but they won't be easy and simple guesses.

Takao

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Plus when you consider how there isn't much of a discount for the DD version in comparison to retail and that software price drops on DD games are less common and suddenly it becomes hard to justify a larger memory card.

Actually, a bunch of Vita games will be going for 2000 Yen less on PSN than their game card counterpart for the early part. While Japanese retailers do offer discounts, I doubt they'll shave 2000 yen off of MSRP.

Sony's also be surveying a universal price drop system for PSN (after 3 months game goes down 25%, etc.).

If this is true (people buying it in anticipation) then we won't see a >600.000 week for the 3DS HW this December.
Holiday effect would have happened without MK as well, MK will just add up to it, like 3G will do. And it's not as if it is going be a 1:1 relationship between 3DS sold and MKs sold anyway.

Do you dare to give a prediction for MK7 FW now? or are you going to wait (bashing other people's predictions) until the week before the launch to have preorders and other meaningful data? :p
yo!
TOOO low for MK7. I wouldn't be surprised if it opens at 800k.

It's mostly a guess tbh (and for the first week not the respective MC week). I am not really good with predicting precise numbers without those meaningful data you mentioned, but anyway I believe MK7 will end up the best selling title this year in Japan, probably 1.5m-2.0m, and if Nintendo does a good job of selling 3DS itself, even over 2.0m.

Chris1964 said:
NCL must have given up with training games. No sight at NoE's documents.

December's total prediction is undecided what it will include, but they won't be easy and simple guesses.

nintendo would be mad to give up on brain training, while i severly doubt a 3ds one would be a system seller and sell the untold millions the ds ones did it'd still be a solid seller and could probably shift a couple of million worldwide, i'd expect to hear more when the 3ds installed base is a bit higher

Takao said:
Actually, a bunch of Vita games will be going for 2000 Yen less on PSN than their game card counterpart for the early part. While Japanese retailers do offer discounts, I doubt they'll shave 2000 yen off of MSRP.

Sony's also be surveying a universal price drop system for PSN (after 3 months game goes down 25%, etc.).

Well, I don't mean at launch, I mean over time. As it stands, retail will drop prices much faster and much harder than Sony will on PSN (unless they follow through with that survey)

frankie_baby said:
nintendo would be mad to give up on brain training, while i severly doubt a 3ds one would be a system seller and sell the untold millions the ds ones did it'd still be a solid seller and could probably shift a couple of million worldwide, i'd expect to hear more when the 3ds installed base is a bit higher
And more, I think giving up on these kind of stuff will be a similar situation to them giving up on Wii casual titles after last year's E3. It will damage the DS brand recognition and give competitors breathing room.

Nintendo's denial of games that don't sell much (in their respective expectations) had caused them some serious problems imho, like giving up on more mature games on the Wii, or those jRPGs in the NOA in terms of brand recognition that has midterm and longterm effects

frankie_baby said:
I wanna know what's with all there people thinking it'll sell a million
It seems like S-E's biggest effort on the system, and the best of their other PSP Final Fantasy-related titles did get near a million. Biggest variables: Did the big effort pay off in a big game that will actually be a hit? Will it not be overshadowed by 3DS/Vita stuff?
Stumpokapow said:
Melee wouldn't have qualified under my rules since it came out 2 months after launch and I said I'd exclude stuff for the first 3-4 months ;)
Actually you said weeks the first time.

Orgen

walking fiend said:
Holiday effect would have happened without MK as well, MK will just add up to it, like 3G will do. And it's not as if it is going be a 1:1 relationship between 3DS sold and MKs sold anyway.

yo!

It's mostly a guess tbh (and for the first week not the respective MC week). I am not really good with predicting precise numbers without those meaningful data you mentioned, but anyway I believe MK7 will end up the best selling title this year in Japan, probably 1.5m-2.0m, and if Nintendo does a good job of selling 3DS itself, even over 2.0m.

Yeah but the "holiday effect" with the Nintendo handhelds doesn't make them sell 600.000 one week and 2 million in a month every year in Japan. And even if this was one of this years (when Nintendo explodes in HW) if people is really buying the console now in anticipation it will diminish the final December numbers, like it or not.

And I told you that "not surprised if..." is a crap prediction ;) Would you be surprised if MK7 opens (FW) in the 400-500.000 range? Btw +2 million in a month is a lot, even for MK standards and being December.

walking fiend said:
And more, I think giving up on these kind of stuff will be a similar situation to them giving up on Wii casual titles after last year's E3. It will damage the DS brand recognition and give competitors breathing room.

Nintendo's denial of games that don't sell much (in their respective expectations) had caused them some serious problems imho, like giving up on more mature games on the Wii, or those jRPGs in the NOA in terms of brand recognition that has midterm and longterm effects

It's been discussed before (the declining of the "Training" genre) and we all know that a BT3D won't sell another 4-5 million like BT & BT2 did but I think it could do decent numbers (between 1-2 million). Chris doesn't think so :p

Rhod

frankie_baby said:
nintendo would be mad to give up on brain training

What was the last new 'training' game they made?

They still make Touch Generations stuff - like the 3D Encyclopedia on 3DS, and cooking guide - but they abandoned training games in 2007. Many such games were cancelled, I'd imagine.

Rhod said:
What was the last new 'training' game they made?

They still make Touch Generations stuff - like the 3D Encyclopedia on 3DS, and cooking guide - but they abandoned training games in 2007. Many such games were cancelled, I'd imagine.
I know its not exactly new but face training has had a uk release as a dsi only game at some point in the last year or so (I was rather surprised seeing at on the shelf the other week)

Orgen said:
Yeah but the "holiday effect" with the Nintendo handhelds doesn't make them sell 600.000 one week and 2 million in a month every year in Japan. And even if this was one of this years (when Nintendo explodes in HW) if people is really buying the console now in anticipation it will diminish the final December numbers, like it or not.
What I am saying, is that the numbers will be so big that this won't make it impossible for hardware to pass 600k. Do not forget that 3G is coming only 9 days after MK7.

It will be a year that 3DS will sell more that what it has done till now, I expect at least 2m 3DSs to be sold from now till the year's end.

And I told you that "not surprised if..." is a crap prediction ;) Would you be surprised if MK7 opens (FW) in the 400-500.000 range? Btw +2 million in a month is a lot, even for MK standards and being December.
Yes, I would be surprised if it sells less than 500k. 400k? 'Really' surprised. I will also be surprised if it sells 1m. I can totally expect it to sell between 600k-800k though.

*That is unless Nintendo manages to somehow fuck with production again and not be able to supply the demand, something which is really Nintendo like.

It's been discussed before (the declining of the "Training" genre) and we all know that a BT3D won't sell another 4-5 million like BT & BT2 did but I think it could do decent numbers (between 1-2 million). Chris doesn't think so :p
My point is that it's not really about pure numbers, I don't think it'll sell that much if it is just a lame attempt such as +Catz too, but it must not let the audience feel 'alienated' from the device. Brand image is something that will be really hard to cure later; just look at how a game like Xenoblade or TLS sells only 120k on Wii. It's mostly due to image of Wii being damaged gradually by Nintendo neglecting it.

If it was not for Zumba and Just Dance and crazy legs of few Nintendo games, the same thing would have happened on the casual side.

Rhod

frankie_baby said:
I know its not exactly new but face training has had a uk release as a dsi only game at some point in the last year

But its Japanese launch was August 2007. So it was developed from, say, 2006. '...Training' was abandoned by Nintendo years ago as a serious 'pillar', and has been leveraged in small ways ('a little bit of..', face-training DSi) to add value or 'because we can' (as dsi has a camera) ever since. I suspect they have the survey data to back up their change of direction.

Nuclear Muffin said:
I've just been looking back at the Monster Hunter media create sales history. Wow! It's just incredible how it started off so low (MHG = 127,846 1st week in January 2005, MHP = 114,000 in December 2005) and how MHP slowly wormed its way up the charts (reaching roughly 700k in secret up until when MHP2 came out).

Even when MHP2 came out, people still didn't take much notice, writing it off as another Kingdom Hearts (strong initial sales of roughly 500-600k and a quick dropoff!) It wasn't until the release of MHP2G in March 2008 when people here finally realised how important the series had become.

Who would've thought back in 2004 when the first game came out that it would go on to become the single biggest 3rd party franchise of all time in Japan? (even ousting the mighty Dragon Quest!) and single handedly reviving the PSP? Just goes to show that anything can happen I guess!
Yeah, I know right! And now the 3DS has Monster Hunter, I'm so happy! Yay Nintendo!

Rhod said:
But its Japanese launch was August 2007. So it was developed from, say, 2006. '...Training' was abandoned by Nintendo years ago as a serious 'pillar', and has been leveraged in small ways ('a little bit of..', face-training DSi) to add value or 'because we can' (as dsi has a camera) ever since. I suspect they have the survey data to back up their change of direction.
Oh I do kinda agree with you, but I think It's more to do with training games not exactly being the sort of things that need constant sequels as well as the more niche ones not exactly selling well, I'd be very surprised if brain training itself doesn't make an appearance on the 3ds though as I said I'd expect it when the 3ds has a bigger audience to sell to

Dragon

Banned
Datschge said:
Mind blown.

You can save around 50% of the launch games without the need of a memory card, but yeah it's pretty stupid of Sony. I didn't think they'd top bundling composite cables with the PS3 but I think this beats it.

Top Bottom