• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2016 (Oct 10 - Oct 16)

Oregano

To add fuel to the "Is Switch a handheld?" fire: The Nintendo UK Store now has a page to register your interest in Switch and they ask whether you are most excited to play at home, on the go, or both.

They're positioning it as a home console for now because it makes sense to.

Vena

To add fuel to the "Is Switch a handheld?" fire: The Nintendo UK Store now has a page to register your interest in Switch and they ask whether you are most excited to play at home, on the go, or both.

They're positioning it as a home console for now because it makes sense to.

I think PR will be PR for a year at least but everyone who looks at the Switch sees a console and a handheld, not one or the other. The biggest determinators on where it falls in the market won't be what PR says, but what the system asks: cost (of the unit and the games) and the battery life.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Monster Hunter Direct is at October 27 and one day later it's the Presentation of FY2016 2nd Quarter Financial Results from Capcom. I wonder what systems they'll have under the new Monster Hunter is there is still embargo for Switch. They can't list only 3DS if it's not the only system it comes out.

Alrus

I don't really understand how Nintendo can enforce an embargo on third party game announcements tbh, or the point of such an embargo really.

Oregano

Monster Hunter Direct is at October 27 and one day later it's the Presentation of FY2016 2nd Quarter Financial Results from Capcom. I wonder what systems they'll have under the new Monster Hunter is there is still embargo for Switch. They can't list only 3DS if it's not the only system it comes out.

Well Nintendo has put a note on the Direct that there will be no Switch or Mobile news.*shrugs*

I don't really understand how Nintendo can enforce an embargo on third party game announcements tbh, or the point of such an embargo really.

It's kind of absurd and it's why I said they were silly to skip TGS. Third parties are going to have next to no time to promote their Switch games. At the moment only Bethesda and 2K have got any promotion(which is absurd anyway, Bethesda and 2K!).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
From the moment Capcom didn't reveal systems Switch was the obvious reason but this embargo mixes things up of how they'll announce the new title.

That they waited the announcement of Switch before they do the Direct and still can't talk for it is more confusing.

Vena

It's kind of absurd and it's why I said they were silly to skip TGS. Third parties are going to have next to no time to promote their Switch games. At the moment only Bethesda and 2K have got any promotion(which is absurd anyway, Bethesda and 2K!).

I'm not actually sure if there's any real embargo, because plenty of indies have been pretty upfront about announcements once the NX/Switch was finally put out in the open. I think Nintendo in and of itself will be mum but I doubt that applies beyond them. Third parties can do whatever they want as seen by Sonic, DQ, and indies and so on.

That they waited the announcement of Switch before they do the Direct and still can't talk for it is more confusing.

Could just be coincidence with timing for MHStories, no? Wanting to give it a small window and then announce the next project. Also I really wouldn't rule out a tease at the end.

antibolo

Banned

Maybe Nintendo will announce that they bought Monster Hunter from Capcom, hereby guaranteeing permanent exclusivity from now.

And then the next day Capcom will proudly show off its investors how much short-term money that just made for them.

Oregano

I'm not actually sure if there's any real embargo, because plenty of indies have been pretty upfront about announcements once the NX/Switch was finally put out in the open. I think Nintendo in and of itself will be mum but I doubt that applies beyond them. Third parties can do whatever they want as seen by Sonic, DQ, and indies and so on.

Could just be coincidence with timing for MHStories, no? Wanting to give it a small window and then announce the next project. Also I really wouldn't rule out a tease at the end.

Indies haven't confirmed specific projects though, only that they're working on the platform. Apart from Monster Boy but they didn't exactly announce that.

I don't think third parties can do what they want other Bethesda would have confirmed Skyrim. They're at the very least being asked to keep quiet for the time being.

Vena

Indies haven't confirmed specific projects though, only that they're working on the platform. Apart from Monster Boy but they didn't exactly announce that.

I don't think third parties can do what they want other Bethesda would have confirmed Skyrim. They're at the very least being asked to keep quiet for the time being.

Bethesda would like you to buy Skyrim now and then double dip later, not wait to buy later.

I mean indies haven't outright outed their projects but its pretty obvious what, say for instance, Image & From is working on and they've outright said its for the Switch at this point. I'd imagine its largely a courtesy request from Nintendo but its clearly not an actual NDA because if it were, its a really poorly written one with a ton of loop holes (and actual projects outright announced). There's so many indies who have basically said "ya we've got a project(s)", its pretty much irrelevant what the project is *specifically* as these minor studios don't exactly have the manpower for more than one or two tentpole releases so you can pretty easily ballpark it, and which point there simply cannot be any real NDA or what not in place. From there, its probably just a request of "give us a bunch of projects, keep quiet about specifics, and we'll make a blow-out sizzle real in January for our major blowout event".

As noted, I wouldn't be surprised if MHX-G ended up getting a teaser at the end... or Nintendo, in usual form, was like "oh this is only for 3DS... psyche, here's some WiiU info".

Of course, the other options are:
* This is a 3DS-only release and releases within the next few months.
* Capcom would like you to buy the 3DS version and then the Switch version and so isn't actually wanting to announce anything yet.

And last to consider, Nintendo (and third parties) probably don't want to try doing any sort of other marketing/messaging during the holidays where everything gets buried and ignored under the heaviest shopping seasons.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Bethesda would like you to buy Skyrim now and then double dip later, not wait to buy later.

I mean indies haven't outright outed their projects but its pretty obvious what, say for instance, Image & From is working on and they've outright said its for the Switch at this point. I'd imagine its largely a courtesy request from Nintendo but its clearly not an actual NDA because if it were, its a really poorly written one with a ton of loop holes.

As noted, I wouldn't be surprised if MHX-G ended up getting a teaser at the end... or Nintendo, in usual form, was like "oh this is only for 3DS... psyche, here's some WiiU info".

But the fact that indies haven't outright stated their projects still stand. Yeah, there are some pretty obvious hints for some of them (*cough* SteamWorld Quest *cough* Oceanhorn *cough* Terraria *cough* Monster Boy *helpmeImdyiiiiing*), but no official announcement yet, which falls perfectly in line with what seen with major publishers.

I believe the exceptions we've had of clear announcements for the platform (DQX/XI/Just Dance/Sonic) have been due to specific deals between Nintendo and the publisher. Also, to be honest, I restate I believe the DQX/XI announcement was going to happen with Iwata coming on stage to set the deal :(

Also, again: Matt (a well-known and very reliable insider over here) said that, despite what Mochizuki heard from a Nintendo's spokeperson, we will hear more from the third parties "one way or another"...I definitely feel this MHDirect falls in the "one way or another" cathegory.

Vena

But the fact that indies haven't outright stated their projects still stand. Yeah, there are some pretty obvious hints for some of them (*cough* SteamWorld Quest *cough* Oceanhorn *cough* Terraria *cough* Monster Boy *helpmeImdyiiiiing*), but no official announcement yet, which falls perfectly in line with what seen with major publishers.

I believe the exceptions we've had of clear announcements for the platform (DQX/XI/Just Dance/Sonic) have been due to specific deals between Nintendo and the publisher. Also, to be honest, I restate I believe the DQX/XI announcement was going to happen with Iwata coming on stage to set the deal :(

Also, again: Matt (a well-known and very reliable insider over here) said that, despite what Mochizuki heard from a Nintendo's spokeperson, we will hear more from the third parties "one way or another"...I definitely feel this MHDirect falls in the "one way or another" cathegory.

Well that's all true as well. I just have no idea what I am talking about! /shrug

Oregano

I'm not sure about the whole "Don't want to advertise during the holidays" thing, plenty of games are releasing in Jan and Feb. The publishers aren't going to not talk about them during holiday season.

Saying that I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Switch tease but the fact that outright confirmations still aren't a thing is bizarre. I don't see how it could possibly hurt.

Ōkami

What if the whole no Switch and mobile thing is there by accident because it's been there for all Directs the past year and a half and they just forgot to take it out.

Oregano

Ōkami;221338101 said:
What if the whole no Switch and mobile thing is there by accident because it's been there for all Directs the past year and a half and they just forgot to take it out.

I honestly did consider that but it says no Switch instead of no NX.

Vena

Ōkami;221338101 said:

I honestly did consider that but it says no Switch instead of no NX.

And as already highlighted, timing is weird/peculiar. Well won't be long till we see...

Potentially there is some feature for the Switch Nintendo still has under wraps at actual game announcements/footage would "spoil" that feature in some way before they're ready to talk about it. I don't know, I'm just throwing that out there for the embargo. What's more likely to me is Nintendo got shook up by the Wii U's abysmal support and they're waiting to have a complete blowout in January worldwide to quell any fears of a repeat situation.

I am loving the shift in tone over the months though, from "there is no NX embargo, there are no games" around E3 to "why the embargos Nintendo??"

Vena

I am loving the shift in tone over the months though, from "there is no NX embargo, there are no games" around E3 to "why the embargos Nintendo??"

Well, ya, Nintendo did what a lot didn't expect them to do and actually knocked the messaging out of the park in a clear, concise Wii-like fashion (Jim's recent analysis video on the Switch teaser reveal is a good watch on that). So now people are excited and high on the positive buzz, and want to know what's next with anticipation.

Before the reveal, there was a lot of suspense but for a lot of less-than-positive reasons as we were unsure on how it would be revealed, how would it be messaged, what would it even be in the final product/look, etc. People were all colors of anxious.

A tonal shift shouldn't be unexpected after a highly successful reveal after a highly disastrous failure (WiiU).

Orgen

"Wishing for death"....lol

But that's a bad argument.
Why would someone pay 60 bucks for a game that looks bad? Especially when there are full play throughs on YouTube, which told me enough. I'll get it when/if it's ~25 though for sure.

Sorry if I didn't worded it properly. I was trying to say that the people that don't want this type of paper Mario haven't played Color splash.

What you say makes no sense because it can be said about any game. Why would you pay 60$ for the next call of duty if you can see it on YouTube? :/

You say the game looks bad but why? It's better reviewed than sticker star (in fact is a better game) and it looks (and plays) amazing. Maybe what you want is a TTYD 2 and if it's not that then you'll see the game on YouTube? Did you do the same for Super Paper Mario? Do you wish the game to fail spectacularly so they can make the paper Mario you want? That's a childish (and hypocrite) sentiment and that was what I wanted to convey on my response.

If Square-Enix can announce two Dragon Quests, if Ubisoft can announce Just Dance, and if Sega can announce Sonic, I fail to see why Capcom couldn't announce Monster Hunter.

Aters

If Square-Enix can announce two Dragon Quests, if Ubisoft can announce Just Dance, and if Sega can announce Sonic, I fail to see why Capcom couldn't announce Monster Hunter.

It's a pre-recorded Nintendo Direct, not a live stream or an interview that people can just have things slipped out of their lips.

It's a pre-recorded Nintendo Direct, not a live stream or an interview that people can just have things slipped out of their lips.

Only Dragon Quest started as a slip, but they were reconfirmed recently. The others are official announcements.

MacTag

Banned
Only Dragon Quest started as a slip, but they were reconfirmed recently. The others are official announcements.
The Dragon Quests were reconfirmed in interviews and at events by developers but haven't actually been officially announced by SE have they?

casiopao

Ōkami;221331111 said:
New MH releasing on Switch isn't news because we all know is happening of course.

Yup. I mean, they can just mention. Please wait for the upcoming news on Switch MH and everyone will be more than happy there.^_^

Yes, for the most part, I'd expect an industry standard 5+ month advertising cycle.

Lol i am not good at reading jokes here.T_T But don't that mean, we are going to see delay on Miitopia here?

casiopao

I think the audience for Miitopia is such that they don't feel there's much point in showing it off early.

Umm...... i can't really think of a single title where there is no need for extra time to explain about the game especially if it is a new IP here. Any example?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Umm...... i can't really think of a single title where there is no need for extra time to explain about the game especially if it is a new IP here. Any example?

Casual mobile games frequently reveal the day they come out because the audience is best advertised to post launch.

Tomodachi Collection also launched at 100K and ended up over 3 million copies. I'd propose basically all the meaningful advertising happened post launch.

I don't see a real issue with unveiling a game like this a month before launch.

The Dragon Quests were reconfirmed in interviews and at events by developers but haven't actually been officially announced by SE have they?

I don't really see the difference. Those people represent Square-Enix, so if they can confirm that they're working on the ports, it means there is no embargo. But, maybe a better example would be Sonic 2017, since the NX logo is at the end of the official teaser trailer. What would prevent Capcom from including a Switch logo at the end of the new Monster Hunter's trailer? I completely understand that Nintendo would not want Switch gameplay footage being revealed by another company considering they haven't talked about specs yet, but a mention would just make sense. Would Capcom be forced to withhold that information from their investors? That doesn't seem fair or logical.

duckroll

I feel people are missing the obvious here. Monster Hunter will be announced for the 3DS and nothing else because it will probably be out before the Switch. Furthermore, Capcom has no reason to put out a 3DS class MH and a new HD one at the same time, especially when the installed base will be low, when they can instead release an upgrade in a year for the Switch. Why is there such an obsession with the belief that Capcom will go out of their way to hit launch?

sense

I did make a prediction that mh would come out on ps4 but to play devils advocate the reasoning could be that since dq and sonic were being announced for PS4/other consoles, Nintendo probably wanted to make sure nx/switch was part of the initial reveal. Maybe Monster Hunter is going to stay Nintendo exclusive and Nintendo gets to announce the switch version when it chooses which is probably during switch software reveal blowout....

casiopao

Casual mobile games frequently reveal the day they come out because the audience is best advertised to post launch.

Tomodachi Collection also launched at 100K and ended up over 3 million copies. I'd propose basically all the meaningful advertising happened post launch.

I don't see a real issue with unveiling a game like this a month before launch.

Ahhhh. I totally forget mobile games market there. Yeah. i can see it now.

If the game is targeted on more casual market, they can focus more on legs and post release advertising. Maybe with some event and collaboration.^_^

Tx for the info there.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I did make a prediction that mh would come out on ps4 but to play devils advocate the reasoning could be that since dq and sonic were being announced for PS4/other consoles, Nintendo probably wanted to make sure nx/switch was part of the initial reveal. Maybe Monster Hunter is going to stay Nintendo exclusive and Nintendo gets to announce the switch version when it chooses which is probably during switch software reveal blowout....

Well I suppose that this new MH game will still be a Nintendo exclusive being annoinced in a dedicated direct

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I feel people are missing the obvious here. Monster Hunter will be announced for the 3DS and nothing else because it will probably be out before the Switch. Furthermore, Capcom has no reason to put out a 3DS class MH and a new HD one at the same time, especially when the installed base will be low, when they can instead release an upgrade in a year for the Switch. Why is there such an obsession with the belief that Capcom will go out of their way to hit launch?

Capcom isnt just any 3rd Party and MH isnt just some IP for Nintendo. If Nintendo wants the MH game on Switch for the launch period it will be there no matter what they have to promise Capcom to get it done in time.

Capcom had very successful experiences with their last couple launch games on Nintendo plattforms. This might be less of a big deal for the Japanese market but having a MH for the western Switch launch would be big for them in terms of exposure and marketing. Why wouldnt they wanna be part of that since a console MH is what - especially their western fans have been demanding for a while now ? Already establishing the fanbase on the system while they take their time and work on the next MH Generation (MH 5).

This has nothing to do with obsession its just obvious that Nintendo is very involved with MH and is looking to get all the essentials on Switch in the first couple months. We also had rumors of GameFreak working on a Sun/Moon Switch port for the first 6 months. Seems like MK, Smash, and Splatton will get Switch versions as fast as possible too - with mayor sequels hitting not anytime soon.

Out of their way to hit launch ? You are talking like they just received dev kits last week and now are forced to somehow get the game on Switch in 3 months, when they were likely the first 3rd Party being approached by Nintendo.

casiopao

Momotaro out on December 22nd.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/akqj/index.html

Yeah, I knew they'd release the week just before Christmas. Mostly targeting New Year sales here.

Fun fact, coypright mentions Konami, Sakuma Akira (original creator), Doi Takayuki, and... Valhalla Game Studios. Huh.

Valhalla Game Studios? ....... i can't remember what game they made lol. But, yup Momotaro is going to be a big one there. Christmas + New Year money bruh.

Capcom isnt just any 3rd Party and MH isnt just some IP for Nintendo. If Nintendo wants the MH game on Switch for the launch period it will be there no matter what they have to promise Capcom to get it done in time.

Capcom had very successful experiences with their last couple launch games on Nintendo plattforms. This might be less of a big deal for the Japanese market but having a MH for the western Switch launch would be big for them in terms of exposure and marketing. Why wouldnt they wanna be part of that since a console MH is what - especially their western fans have been demanding for a while now ? Already establishing the fanbase on the system while they take their time and work on the next MH Generation (MH 5).

This has nothing to do with obsession its just obvious that Nintendo is very involved with MH and is looking to get all the essentials on Switch in the first couple months. We also had rumors of GameFreak working on a Sun/Moon Switch port for the first 6 months. Seems like MK, Smash, and Splatton will get Switch versions as fast as possible too - with mayor sequels hitting not anytime soon.

Out of their way to hit launch ? You are talking like they just received dev kits last week and now are forced to somehow get the game on Switch in 3 months, when they were likely the first 3rd Party being approached by Nintendo.

This i agree. Capcom currently is damn close with Ninty. And considering how integral Ninty to MH growth all this recent years WW, i really can see Capcom going to do whatever they can to push for NX to succeed in Japan and having MH in launch or at least launch period is going to help a lot.

KingBroly

Banned

Capcom had decent success with SSF43D and MH3U for launch windows on 3DS and Wii U.

Even if a new MH 3DS game is announced, it will take a while for it to get localized, and the thinking is it will come to Switch then. At least, from what I see.

BriBri

So a free Competition mode download for four player (only one full version needed). I'm just amazed how 3DS is going to be the top seller for yet another holiday season. Next year too?!

casiopao

Devil's Third.

WTF OMG LOLOLOLOLOL.

I really can't remember them there lol. I guess, they are going to be the developer here?O_O

Not Nintendo Mario Party team?O_O

So a free Competition mode download for four player (only one full version needed). I'm just amazed how 3DS is going to be the top seller for yet another holiday season. Next year too?!

Nah. Next year is going to Switch time.^_^

Most Nintendo fans don't remember but non-Nintendo fans do. lol

Lol cut me some slack here.T_T I mean, i likey the multiplayer of DT but i sure delete the memories of its lack luster single player experience.T_T(Well, it also flop so it is kinda no wonder lol.)

Top Bottom